Who is going to use cloth diapers? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 09-15-2004, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recognize a few of the May 2005 mamas from the Diapering board I'm just wondering who is going to use cloth diapers? I know I am excited to put together a newborn stash.

AmiBeth

#2 of 30 Old 09-15-2004, 11:38 PM

I don't post over there but ... I plan on using cloth diapers.

I can't wait till I can start buying stuff .. fun, fun.
#3 of 30 Old 09-15-2004, 11:51 PM

OuUUUUU yes MEEE! I love cloth baby butts. have 3 nb dipes so far. cant wait to buy more.
#4 of 30 Old 09-16-2004, 02:30 AM
Len

Great question! Me, me! but I am a total CD illiterate..... Last time around (it will be 6 years before) there weren't as many options as there are now, and we have around 3 doz of a basic prefold.... so when I told DH I HAD to buy new dipes for this baby he went: What?? and you've been keeping all those diapers all this time???? cause back then one of the good points of CD was to re-use them with a 2nd baby!!

So I may end up using ours and maybe indulge in a few NB and wool covers.... but

I NEED TO KNOW WHERE TO START!!! HEEEELP I just don't want to be dragged into being a CD Hyena, junkie or whatever!
#5 of 30 Old 09-16-2004, 02:32 AM
Len

Is there a *simple* way to get started into CD'ing without falling into the diapering boards?
#6 of 30 Old 09-16-2004, 08:36 AM

I would love to use cloth this time round! I just cant for the life of me afford to buy them online (the exchange rate is terrible ) and there are no decent ones here in SA that I can find.

I am totally cluess when it comes to the CD lingo... I go onto the Diapering Boards and I am in about 3 seconds flat! :LOL
#7 of 30 Old 09-16-2004, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMommie
I'm just wondering who is going to use cloth diapers? I know I am excited to put together a newborn stash.

AmiBeth
I just started CD-ing gabriel after a horrible rash from diaposables. So we are about 2 months into and everything is going well. I look forward to building a newbie stash but wonder what in the world to get?!

We are using CPF and Biobottoms covers (wool rocks!! ) during the day and Fuzzi Bunz stuffed with a various combos of doublers and CPFs.

I used CD's with Gabriel in the beginning but couldn't master CPF's and covers. I'm thinking of using fitted dipes with covers but really don't know where to start.

Also I am going to try my hand at recycling wool sweaters into soakers/covers... I think it'll be easy enough for Gabriel with them being pull op style but I worry about blowout BF poopies with the new baby.

Okay.... Have I rambled on enough? I'm going to try and pick up some wool sweaters at Salvation Army in the next couple of days. If they turn out into decent covers, I'll let you know. If not, they will be inturned in my "Thought it was a good idea, but didn't work out so well" craft pile!
#8 of 30 Old 09-16-2004, 10:27 AM

this is going to be my first child and I am very excited about cloth diapering. They are so much cuter! Hopefully I will have a job soon so I can go on a diaper shopping spree!
#9 of 30 Old 09-16-2004, 12:49 PM

Yes, I used all cloth with ds and will do so again with this baby. Actually, I plan to EC from the beginning, but I will still use cloth some.

I never got into all the cute dipes. I was/am more into slings and all sorts of baby carriers, not so much the diapers. I had a bunch of prefolds and velcro covers for the newborn stage, and then mostly Mother-Ease, which worked great for us. They are still in good shape for this time, so I don't plan to buy a whole bunch of new dipes.
#10 of 30 Old 09-16-2004, 12:54 PM

I'm not buying new dipes, but I do need new covers. I'm going to try to get some nice ones online. I figure if I start now and buy one or two covers a month, I'll be able to afford them for one thing and then also I may be able to get two sizes. Hopefully the pretty, soft covers don't require me to buy every single size. I got away with just smalls and large with the prowraps and bummis, so I hope to do that again. Also need new wipes. And thinking of trying to dye my prefolds... maybe...

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#11 of 30 Old 09-16-2004, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Len~ I think Kissaluvs & covers are pretty simple & I hear they work great for BF poops. Also there is a Kissaluvs Outlet store where you can buy Seconds.

I'm going to start with Kissaluvs Size 0's b/c I have big babies (9 lbs, 5 oz & 9 lbs, 15 oz) so most NB dipes wouldn't ever fit my babe. I like the idea of Kissaluvs b/c the Size 0 fits up to 15 lbs, so there's a bit of growing room! I like Bummis Super Industrial Whisper Wraps for during the day, plus I have a few pairs of small wool pants & soakers. I'm learning to knit so we don't go bankrupt! :LOL I already have a few small FuzziBunz & happy Heiny's left from Colby, so I'll need a few more of those
eventually. And yes, I am addicted to the fancy dipes. I spend way too much on CDs.

AmiBeth

#12 of 30 Old 09-17-2004, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yep, wouldn't do anything but cloth. My babies had pretty bottoms and no rashes. I look forward to amassing some supplies at the consignment sales. I really don't have much left from last time. It's been nine years since my last baby.
#13 of 30 Old 09-17-2004, 01:29 PM

Yep, I'm going to wait a few months before I break the news to dh though, lol. He's pretty supportive of my cding the baby now, especially after I made him run to get sposies because I hadn't had time to do laundry and was out of cloth. I don't think he'll be excited about me going on a shopping spree again, though.
#14 of 30 Old 09-18-2004, 12:46 AM

We cd'd ds from birth, and plan to with this babe also. I'm really excited, last time I just bought a little of everything and this time I know a lot more what works for us!! I was sad that ds is potty learning himself, but then i remembered i get to start all over!!!! (and pull out all the tiny, oh so cute, baby dipes!!)
#15 of 30 Old 09-18-2004, 01:03 AM
Len

Thanks AmiBeth I'll check out the kissaluvs.... I have a MIL that is very proficient with a sewing machine, so I may ask her to make something for us as well!

It's so good to see so many babies will be cdiapered!!
#16 of 30 Old 09-18-2004, 01:34 AM

We love using CDs. We bought a dozen extra-small for my dd when she was a 5# premie. She is 15# with fat thighs and we are exlploring other brands. I thought that Fuzibunz would be my favs but I leaning more toward the Liz Cloth with hemp/micorfleece snap in soaker. I just ordered a Muttiqin to check it out. Then we plan on buying a large stash of CDs.

I would like to know what brands people like and why?

kj, proud mama to Katherine Rose, my Rosebud.
#17 of 30 Old 09-18-2004, 02:24 AM

Yup, we'll be cd'ing! I didn't start using cd's with Zack until he was around 1 year old. I can't wait to cd a newborn. I've already bought a few diapers. Well, we have lots of prefolds already and some newborn Bummis, but I also got an Angel Wraps AIO, a couple of Kissaluvs fitteds and a Dewdrop Diapers fitted...oh, and how could I forget my Bizzy B Hive wool cover. *drool* Ok sorry, I'm probably speaking Greek to most here, but I've been bitten by the cd bug!!

Kj, I loooovveeee my Muttaqin fitteds!
#18 of 30 Old 09-18-2004, 03:04 AM

I definitely am. I did with dd but didn't start until later. I already have newborns though because we have been ttc for 10 months. I just need smalls and some mediums.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#19 of 30 Old 09-18-2004, 08:27 AM

MEGAN!!!!
#20 of 30 Old 09-18-2004, 09:58 AM

I tried my hand at cd-ing Gabriel when he was a newborn and just couldn't get the hang of folding cpfs, using snappi's and THEN putting on a cover (I think I was using proraps?). Maybe I just didn't have the *right* cover or I wasn't feeling confient about how I was folding 'em...

I'm thinking of going with fitted and covers for this little one. I want to find one system and stick with it. Plus the less variation on the system the more DH is comfortable with CD-ing, which is a very good thing!

Anyway my question is what have you used for your little beans and what would you reccomend for someone who "financially challenged"?
#21 of 30 Old 09-18-2004, 06:12 PM

We are also going to CD. Sadly, I have taken a break from CDing DS, out of pure fatigue and working too much, but I'll get back in the swing of it, soon. We did well with just a few covers in each size, and if we needed extra, we'd use the vinly ones my mom got us. Those suck, but are okay for backup. I def. don't think you need to spend a buncha money to CD. We'll probably buy more prefolds and covers, just so we have enough for two at once!

Oh, just thinking about all these little newborn butts in their poofy cloth diapers makes me want to cry. (IN a good way!)
#22 of 30 Old 09-19-2004, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdamona
I tried my hand at cd-ing Gabriel when he was a newborn and just couldn't get the hang of folding cpfs, using snappi's and THEN putting on a cover (I think I was using proraps?). Maybe I just didn't have the *right* cover or I wasn't feeling confient about how I was folding 'em...

I'm thinking of going with fitted and covers for this little one. I want to find one system and stick with it. Plus the less variation on the system the more DH is comfortable with CD-ing, which is a very good thing!

Anyway my question is what have you used for your little beans and what would you reccomend for someone who "financially challenged"?
If you don't want to do prefolds, snappis & covers (which is the cheapest way to go) then maybe you can try pocket diapers, like Fuzzi Bunz. I love fitteds & covers, but it's definitely not the most economical way to go. You can use Fuzzi Bunz and use prefolds as inserts or there are also one-size inserts out there (like Wonder-Fulls) so you don't have to buy each size. Of course, there are also one-size fitteds so it may all even out money-wise.
#23 of 30 Old 09-19-2004, 10:48 PM

I'm new here, but we use cloth on my 15 months old DD. Love it, wouldn't have anything else on new baby's butt! Infact this morning I woke up to an email from Dreamboat's saying I won a YPA diaper, so I ordered it for new baby. Kayleigh's got enough diapers to last her through college.

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#24 of 30 Old 09-19-2004, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdamona
I tried my hand at cd-ing Gabriel when he was a newborn and just couldn't get the hang of folding cpfs, using snappi's and THEN putting on a cover (I think I was using proraps?). Maybe I just didn't have the *right* cover or I wasn't feeling confient about how I was folding 'em...[/B]
I've used prowraps forever and never used a snappi at all. We just fold 'em and velcro. I thought that was the easiest & cheapest way to go (well, easier than using vinyl pants with prefolds & pins the way my mom did, yet slightly more expensive). There are other covers out there that you can use with no snappi. The bumis, imsi vimsy... They tend to leave marks, which is the major complaint about them, but the imsi vimsies are definitely less so. Just not very good for night time, imo. I bought some side smap covers recently that I'm hoping to use without a snappi. Will have to try it out & see how it works.

#25 of 30 Old 09-20-2004, 12:28 AM

Ill def be CDing. Ill have 2 in cloth. I already have a mini stash started!
#26 of 30 Old 09-20-2004, 01:28 AM

i really, really want to cd and am actually planning on it, but this is a SERIOUS source of contention in my marriage. it is definately not because of the money spent but dh has told me many times that he abhors them. i am still planning on using them but keeping a small supply of disposables on hand so he will be okay with it. i am also planning (and looking forward to) on changing most of the dipes so i can use cd.

dd is 18 mos and calls her cds underwear. she feels like a big girl wearing them and asks to go potty when wearing them.
#27 of 30 Old 09-20-2004, 02:42 PM

Yep, I'll be cd'ing for the third time around with this baby
I've already bought 2 doz Kissaluvs size 0, 3 nb Bummis covers and 3 preemie Bumpy covers. Oh, and I have a dozen nb Nanipoos fitteds on order, too. I do no do prefolds and snappis- can only manage fitteds, I'm definately prefold challenged :LOL

www.nanipoos.com has a great package deal- for $70 you get a dozen little newborn flannel fitteds and shipping is included

If Lexi doesn't potty learn before May, I'll have 2 in cloth

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#28 of 30 Old 09-20-2004, 04:32 PM

I just got my babysoftwraps today and they are soooooo cute!!! I am officially addicted to dipes. Can't wait for my two dipes that I got for overnight for Alex come later this week!!!

#29 of 30 Old 09-20-2004, 10:53 PM

ok, i've got it bad. i just started cd'ing my 19 month old a month or two ago. so i bought a ton of dipes off the trading post and websites and ebay. then i started building my nb stash. i was crazy obesessed around the time i tested positive!!!!!

so here is what i have bought for the new baby:

1 very baby fitted and cover
6 full moon baby gear um fitteds?
1 baby soft wraps AIO (that actually fits my dtr!)
2 sugar peas size 1
1 righteous baby nativity scene diaper
1 turtle print muttaquin
12 unbleached chinese prefolds NB
10 unbleached chinese prefolds infant (hand dyed!)
1 custom ordered kesbaby organic velour number
2 sammy's sherpa
1 cuddlebuns bikini cut

1 stacinator wool nb cover
1 stacinator fleece cover
4 bummis
1 cuddle wrap cover

and my mom is clicking away knitting me some soakers with some beautiful wool i bought!!! i kinda feel like i am making up for not doing it the first time round!!

i am learning lots from buying tons of dipes in all different kinds and combos. all in ones sound great but it seems most of them take forever to dry or you are not sure if they are really clean right down to the core!! covers and fitteds seems to work best but a few AIO or pocket dipes are good to have for going out or for dads to use. i sound like i know what i am talking about but really i am still learning big time. i have a friend who is a WAHM diaper maker and that helps or i would still be overwhelmed and confused.

raven that sucks about not being able to get dipes. what about off a canadian web site? would the exchange be better?? or just no go. that's too bad.
#30 of 30 Old 09-22-2004, 01:10 AM

Cloth addict here. I have been working on this babys stash for several months now and now that I know he/she is on the way I plan to get more. For those of you who (like me) are finanically challenged I suggest getting some infant PFs, snappis and covers to start and then getting some one size to last through potty learning such as; Muttaquin, SOS (suzzys one size), pinheads, CB (cuddle buns). I recently got one of each of these for my dd and I LOVE THEM. For covers with my daughter I have 2 wool and one PUL (waterproof fabric) that I use in rotation. I spent $38 on the three. Always buy your diaper from the TP, ebay (be careful and ask questions if you need to so you dont end up with something you don't want) or kittybids. You will get much better deals this way. And remember that if you end up with diapers that you don't like you can always re-sell them at any of the above listed places, and after you are through with the diapers if they are still in usable shape you can re-sell them. HTH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page