Weekly chat thread 9/18 - 9/25 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 09-24-2004, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, I'm Maegen. I'm pregnant with my third child. I think irrational fear of miscarriage must just be part of early pregnancy, especially when its your 2nd, 3rd or more! A lot of us seem to be worried about it. I have to restrain myself from buying more and more pregnancy tests, just to check! This is the first pregnancy that DH and I have actually planned. The first two were happy suprises. I am thrilled to be pregnant but there is a little bit of a cloud hanging about this time. I had a really severe post partum hemmhorage at 2 weeks pp with DD. I almost bled to death. The OB who took care of me asked if we planned to have more children and when we said yes, said that we'd have to be really careful during the post partum period.

DS was delivered by c-section (possibly unnecessary) after 30 hours of really tough and very badly managed (on the part of the midwife and the hospital staff) labour. DD was a planned homebirth but we ended up going into the hospital because there was meconium in the water. Her birth (VBAC) was pretty straightforward, but the third stage was complicated by hemmhoraging and an placenta that just wouldn't come out. I think that the OB who took over from my midwife at that time might have actually been responsible for my later hemmorhages. She was really pulling on the cord to get the placenta out : and spent a lot of time trying to fish out all the clots. (sorry if TMI!) Two weeks later I was hemmorhaging again and nothing the Dr. did would stop it. I went in for a D&C and came out feeling relieved that the bleeding had stopped. That feeling lasted all of about 20 seconds before it came gushing out again big time. So they worked on me for a while longer. I ended up having five units of blood pumped into me because my hemoglobin count went down so low. Wow, I've never really written this out before. Maybe this isn't the place for it? I'm sorry if I've freaked anyone out!

So, needless to say, there is a little anxiety around me being pregnant again. I'm actually quite nervous about telling my father. He's the one who drove from Langley to Vancouver at top speed at three in the morning because DH had called him and told him that I might be dying. The rest of our family, both DH's and my parent were out of town when it happened.

Anyway, there's no real danger during the pregnancy but I'm probably going to have to be on bedrest after the babe is born, for a few weeks (not such a bad thing ) and the third stage of labour will be a little sensitive.

So far I'm feeling pretty good, very tired though! My breasts are sore and I'm hungry all the time! I'm just waiting for the 7 or so months of nausea and dizziness that plagued me with DS and DD! Oh yeah, I'm around 5 or 6 weeks, not sure exactly!
#32 of 38 Old 09-24-2004, 09:46 PM

coleslaw, i am sorry you had some spotting and a crappy day!! today is the day (46 days after O) that i miscarried in june so i was feeling a bit panicked myself today. made dh take me and the boo out to dinner to celebrate that i made it to day 46 this time with nothing happening.

i think the best thing in these situations is to trust your gutts. i believe your intuition tells you more than technology so go with it! i dont mean to give advice, just reassurance really. with cassia i had bleeding several times not spotting but gushes of blood but it never phased me much b/c i just knew she was meant to be. well that and stupidity the first time round. this time round i felt the same way. nothing is going to get in the way of this baby!

be kind to yourself and take lots of loving care. ask your partner to do a bit extra or call in a favour from a friend. feel free to pm me if you need some more support. i wanted to say give me a call then i remembered this is cyberworld and you arent really my neighbour IRL!
#33 of 38 Old 09-24-2004, 10:01 PM

Thanks hollyhobbie. Your words meant a lot to me. I guess my problem was 1) I was rushed back to the day I had spotting with my m/c, so it was an emotional train wreck 2) I have yet to feel a connection with this baby so I thought since I never had one, the baby was never "there" and 3) I have very few symptoms including no nausea, which I had in abundance the 1st two pg. All that to say I didn't have a clue whether the baby was OK or not. To be honest, I still don't have a gut on it and that bothers me the most. It's like I'm not pg, which is so abnormal for me.

Anyway, enough rambling. I'm venting to try and absorb it all and put it in order in my mind. I do appreciate everything you said. Thanks so much!
#34 of 38 Old 09-24-2004, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thinking of you Keri......

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#35 of 38 Old 09-25-2004, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym
What kind of system are you going for for the new baby anna? We are switching Kais stash to prefolds (which we always use) and fleece covers, and AIOs, and for the new baby we are going to do prefolds with covers, I have tons from Kai, and AIOs too. I have done the fitted and wool thing already and I find it is too much for me.
We've always done prefolds and I still have all my smalls, so we'll stick to that. I need new covers though, so I'm branching out from Bummis and Prowraps to Babysoftwraps. I've got a whole little bookmark folder with lots of different sites that I'm checking out. I also just bought 2 dipes for nighttime to use with Aleks. I'm trying out a pocket diaper and an AIO with a doubler. I think it will just be for nighttime use though when all he does is wet. I don't want to think of poop and anything being stored in the depths of the AIO. I don't like a lot of extensive cleaning at all with my dipes. I like to just toss them in the washer and then in the dryer. Which is why I'm terrified of wool. I'd much rather wash wet clothes than worry about lanolizing every so often or hanging dipes to dry. I'm also thinking of dying my small prefolds and maybe getting some new large prefolds as our 2 dozen that we've used since Aleks was 6 months old are starting to fall apart. They really don't look so great.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#36 of 38 Old 09-25-2004, 12:23 AM

Anna - Thanks for the link and info. I really need it seeing this is my first time around. How are you feeling by the way?

Coleslaw- I am sorry you had a crappy day. I hope your weekend is better and on Monday your results from your test will be good. :

As for me, I think I am coming down with a cold. I really hope not. I keep thinking maybe it's just allergies.
I would do more personals but I am tired and I have to work ALL day tomorrow. I hope everyone has a good weekend
#37 of 38 Old 09-25-2004, 12:26 AM
Banned

scout has quite the collection of fitteds and we use all-wool. we have a ton of prefolds, too, both infant and premium. those are andy's favorites. the wool isn't as high-maintenance as you'd think. scout doesn't poop on the covers anymore and when she does, i just soak them in the sink. the covers don't get stinky and as it is, we only have three right now anyway. i ordered some fitteds for newbaby today.

i have bad heartburn. i feel nauseated.

keri, i hope you feel better soon .
#38 of 38 Old 09-25-2004, 04:32 AM

i have no exciting news today, really. i gave notice to the lady i do daycare for...i feel i am not as available for my own children, and they are noticing it and behaving differently. my 4 year old is throwing tantrums double time right now and my seven year old has cried twice in 2 days for what he percieves as himself failing. that makes my heart break. he's so hard on himself ... money will suck again....but oh well... my kids are sending me messages.

as for the pg....wholy!! am i thirsty!! i am thirsty ALL the time. i think whenever i am not peeing, i am refueling. thats my pg complaint de jour.

coleslaw...sorry about your sucky day...Monday will be better :

hollie....happy belated day 46. glad to heear that you are doing well

robug...wow. i have had some pretty serious pp bleeding issues too...but none so bad as yours. what kind of a birth are you planning for? probably have to go to the hosp, right? my m/w is letting me go through with the homebirth, but we will take precautions.

everyone else....sticky thoughts

jenn

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page