Weekly chat Sept 26 - Oct 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 09-26-2004, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all! Thought I'd go ahead and do this, whether it was exactly needed or not. How are you all feeling? What's going on?

How's Keri???

On this end, I'm tired, nauseous, headachey, crampy, all sorts of broken out, and bloated. My jeans feel tight already - that's just weird. I'm all of five weeks today. People are already finding out I'm preggo IRL, which makes me nervous, but at the same time I just want to tell the whole world. It will be easy when I'm not in my hometown again (am visiting my parents for the weekend 3 1/2 hours from where I live).

I went to a baby fair with my mother today (she's a midwife and had a booth). It was really alternative, which was cool. Lots of slings and breastfeeding stuff. No-Circ was there. There were lots of doulas, yoga instructors, chiropractors. It was cool. I mean, okay, Babies-R-Us was there too, but oh well... I got some information about a pool to rent (it has solid sides and plugs in to keep the water warm - you can even sit on the sides). Very cool. It costs $350 to rent.

I spoke to my mom some today about where I should birth. It's sort of up in the air at this point. Part of me wants to do it at my house in clevo, but part of me wants my family there again and thinks it would be easier if we did it in Dayton at my mom's house. But then I also don't want to impose on my mother too much. But then I also really want for my son (2 yo) to spend time here during the summer. It would be good for him because my sisters are here and could help with him. If I were at my own house I would hire a postpartum doula. Maybe I could hire someone for my mom's house anyway. Maybe a postpartum doula to help me or a housekeeper to help my mom. It's not like I have money, so this will have to be something that I plan ahead of time.

I also made mention today about not wanting anyone but her there this time (not my family, but other midwives). Last time there was another midwife, who was great, but a little paranoid. I feel great about her participation last time, but think that we can do it ourselves this time. I guess I feel like I'm a professional now, so we don't need all the added attention.

Anyway, I'm fading now... Getting tired.

How was your weekend? Any first appointments coming up?

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#2 of 55 Old 09-26-2004, 11:49 PM

My weekend was good. My dd had a gymnastics performance that she did great at. Moving from Oregon to California was a big change. I let my poor baby get sunburned because when we left the house it was overcast and in Oregon that means rain. I was wearing a black sweater all day and was roasting!

I'm feeling really good, I sleep alot more and wish I could get my house in order, but otherwise I'm doing great. I'm 8 weeks now.

I had my first appt about a week ago. We were still up in the air about insurance so we put off almost everything until my next appt, Oct. 18th. My midwife checked my cervix and made sure baby was where he/she is supposed to be. Everything seems to look good. I have a slight bladder infection but that's common in the beginning of my pregnancies. I'm like a kid. I hate having to pee all the time so I hold it until I can hold no more. Cranberry juice has been my friend.
#3 of 55 Old 09-27-2004, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Wendy, do you try cranberry supplements? I bet two or three a day would keep you infection free. I didn't know that they made them in pill form until I was in the ER with an infection during my last pregnancy.

#4 of 55 Old 09-27-2004, 01:51 AM
Banned

just checking in. we didn't do much today. andy made breakfast for us and we took the girlie to the zoo. i watched '21 grams' tonight and it made me sad.
#5 of 55 Old 09-27-2004, 09:10 AM

I didn't do much this weekend either. I worked on Saturday and we took our clients to the flea market. It was ok except I did come down with a cold and I felt crappy. I took the day off yesterday and rested. I feel better today so far... still very tired though. That's probably from my little bambino growing

Wende - I know how you feel about wanting to get your house in order. Mine is a mess. I'll use all of my might to straighten it then it gets messy again in no time. I just don't have the energy for it.

Anna- that baby fair sounds like fun. I wish we had stuff like that here.

Well,it's off to History of Interiors class for me
#6 of 55 Old 09-27-2004, 01:22 PM

Checking in

Not feeling pg at all here.... although I am having ms. Strange. Its sinking in really slowly I guess :LOL

Sending all you mama's a big
#7 of 55 Old 09-27-2004, 01:31 PM
Banned

wow, i'm totally showing today :LOL. it's very unmistakable right now. i could feel it for a few weeks now but today... there it is!

*sigh* i hate heartburn.
#8 of 55 Old 09-27-2004, 01:47 PM

oooh plum how exciting!!!
#9 of 55 Old 09-27-2004, 02:15 PM

Hi all!

I feel some sense of relief at making it to 8 weeks. Also knowing I likely only have a few more weeks of nausea and vomiting. This is sicker than I was with ds. Wonder if that means it's a girl? Hmmmmmm.

I have my first appointment with the midwife tomorrow. Hope I like her as there aren't any other MW options around here. I've been toying around with doing a UBAC and reading a lot on the net. I think in that scenario, I'm most nervous about DH (and my mom, who would probably be there to be with my son), totally freaking out when the time comes. I have this fantasy I'll have one of those super quick labors where I can just hide out in the bathroom tub for a couple of hours and then come out with the baby in arms. No one second guessing me on whether we should go to the hospital. I'll still get prenatal care the whole way, regardless of what goes on at the birth.

Sounds like there were some nice weekends all around. Here, we went to a fall festival, and that's about it. Don't even mention cleaning the house! I am looking around right now and everything has a layer of dust. Okay, I need to go take care of it while I still have a little bit of energy.

Happy Monday!
#10 of 55 Old 09-27-2004, 02:20 PM

Hi Mommas! I am going to try to be better about participating more - in between feeling really barfy and trying to keep up with my regular house chores.

I'm at about 7 1/2 weeks right now and the morning-noon-and-night sickness has been the worst ever for me. Partly reassuring after my m/c, but also kind of hard to cope with and take care of my son. Plus, I am sooo tired. Did I mention that I am very happy about all of this. I'm right with all of you who are showing. Can't fit in my jeans and have a little bulge. Strange.

We are going to wait to do our "first" prenatal with our midwife until around 11-12 weeks. I've already seen her a number of times during this pregnancy for blood tests etc. to make sure my progesterone is where it needs to be.

Anyway, hope you are all doing well today.
#11 of 55 Old 09-27-2004, 02:28 PM

feeling pretty pukey -- I just keep eating with the hope that my stomach will settle but I only feel good for about 5 minutes. I've put on a few pounds so I need to hit the resale shop for some cheap pants for work in the next size up -- just enough to get me to my maternity clothes. I'll probably end up telling my co-workers sooner than I would like just because they'll notice the clothes. Last time they all wondered if I was just getting fat (I kept it quiet until almost 16 weeks).

We demolished our upstairs bathroom this weekend. We have a 20-year-old house that still looks like 1983 upstairs. I told dh we need to renovate before this baby comes. So we took out the toilet, smashed the old cast-iron tub and pulled up the floor.

My first appt is a week from Wednesday. I've got your run-of-the-mill HMO health plan so it's an OB for me. But, I like my OB and my hospital birth went well with dd even though she was early so it's ok. I do have a romantic notion of having a birth center birth but that's not going to happen.

Hope you didn't mind the book I just wrote.
#12 of 55 Old 09-27-2004, 02:49 PM
nym

I'm doing okay I guess. I had a rough weekend full of nausea and exhaustion. I find I get really tired around 3, and I could go for a nap, but I don't. Then around 8 I am really tired and ready for bed, but I am in the middle of watching my shows, then when I go to bed at 10-11 I am over tired and I can't sleep!

DS is nursing all night. It is soooooooooo annoying. He flops around and sits up and grabs the boob and wakes me up, so I get woken up every 45-90 minutes. I am definately not getting enough sleep!

I am seeing a OB every 2 weeks, because I have high BP already, I see him again on tuesday. But he is all good with me continuing to nurse, and the fact that I want a VBAC. I talked to my grandma and she is going to come and stay with us for a couple of week around when the baby is to be born, because I need someone to help with DS, and she is the only one I trust and feel comfortable laboring around. I am planning on laboring at home for as long as I can. I also have a doula coming from Edmonton, so that is all good!
#13 of 55 Old 09-27-2004, 02:50 PM
Len

Hi everyone!

No major changes around here. I haven't told anyone IRL yet; all our families live in different countries so we will probably do an e-mail announcement, except for our mothers, who we will call sometime soon!

I don't think I'm showing yet, although with all that extra munching I feel like my clothes are getting tighter every day :LOL

I have appointments with 2 different MW's, but not until week 10 and 11.

I don't have morning sickness, but I think I'm borderline with nausea... it's really hard to brush my teeth without wanting to throwup...

I changed my hairstyle from longish to really short.... I feel great... I think I needed a change and it's much faster to get out of the house in the morning now!
#14 of 55 Old 09-27-2004, 03:21 PM

Well, this is my 1st time checking in. I am 5 weeks, 4 days. I just found out on Sat that i am pregnant. Dh and i are excited, but suprised.

I will be switching OB/midwife practices with this pregnacy to one that is more "natural".. i really want this pregnancy to be less medically driven, and I want to have my 1st natural childbirth.

I will be trying to exercise and eat really healthy this time, as I still have about 70 lbs to lose from my 2 previous kids . My family eats a pretty healthy diet with lots of whole grains, fruits and veggies.....and I have been feeding the kids organic dairy for a few years... but I am now switching my diet to as organic as possible. Just went to Harry's (Whole foods) and bought my 1st organic gress fed beef steaks (at $12.99 per lb . I really want to do things right this pregnancy, as I know that it is my last one.

I also get gestational diabetes, so i am already tracking my blood sugars, hoping to control it 100% with diet.

I also had GBS with pg #2, so I need to pull out my mothering mag issue from a few months ago to see how to make sure I don't have it this time (to avoid antibiotics in labor)

I am looking forward to checking in with you gals over the next 8 months!!!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#15 of 55 Old 09-27-2004, 06:35 PM

I forgot to put how far along I was earlier when I posted. I realize today I feel MUCH better than I did this weekend

I was wondering how Keri was doing. I remember Friday was a crumby day for her. So, Keri I hope today everything is going well for ya.

CathToria - we're looking forward to chatting with you over the next 8 mos as well
#16 of 55 Old 09-27-2004, 08:50 PM

The weekend was good, really relaxed. On Saturday both dc's went to a birthday party so dh and I sat and had a coffee and read the paper. Very civilized! On Sunday, we took the kids out to this great beach in Tsawassen. I even got to have a nap both Saturday and Sunday!

I'm definitely feeling more pregnant! I'm so tired! Nursing has become excruciating again and my old friends nausea, gagginess and dizziness are back! I feel much more at peace with myself this time around though, I think its because we actually planned to get pregnant this time. I'm almost viewing all these symptoms as positive. It helps too, that this is definitely the last time I'll be going through this! Touch wood : !
#17 of 55 Old 09-28-2004, 03:32 AM

hey all...just checking in...im really tired...so not too chatty atm. im pretty round now. i really want to wear my mat clothes but dont want to give the secret away just yet.

im just tired, thirsty and crampy. no m/s though. i have never had m/s with a pg....guess im one of the lucky ones.

does anyone feel way more pg then they are??/ I feel like 12 weeks. and im only 7 1/2
#18 of 55 Old 09-28-2004, 02:25 PM

Hi Ladies!! How are we all doing today? I had to go to court for a light violation on my car. Luckily, the judge dismissed my ticket and I got away not paying anything.

I was reading about how some of you are starting to see your belly grow. I am 9 weeks and my belly is only maybe slightly larger but not much. I have been eating more than I was so that could be why- but is that normal - my belly not growing much? This is my 1st so all of this is very new to me. I just hope everything is going ok. I mean it seems to be I don't really have a reason to be concerned. I am just paranoid and I won't feel better til I hear that little heart beating
#19 of 55 Old 09-28-2004, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet005
I was reading about how some of you are starting to see your belly grow. I am 9 weeks and my belly is only maybe slightly larger but not much. I have been eating more than I was so that could be why- but is that normal - my belly not growing much? This is my 1st so all of this is very new to me. I just hope everything is going ok. I mean it seems to be I don't really have a reason to be concerned. I am just paranoid and I won't feel better til I hear that little heart beating
totally normal for you to not be "showing" at 9 weeks with your first. Your ligaments and muscles need to stretch out and your uterus isn't very big yet. With my first I didn't look pregnant until after the first trimester for sure - I just felt fat (my butt exploded out of my regular pants instantly). This is #2 for me and my stomach is still pretty flat -- but, my butt is growing again because I keep eating to stave off nausea.

I remember hearing dd's heartbeat for the first time - I almost cried. Dh commented that he realized at that moment just how attached I had already become to her.
#20 of 55 Old 09-28-2004, 06:04 PM

First time checkin' in...long time browser.

Feeling better than a few weeks ago, when I was having some ishy m/s. Just feel completely exhausted now! I am feeling really bloated and guilty for not having worked harder to get post-pg weight off as I am now dealing with "left-overs" from the last one on top of new weight. : I feel like I look 20wks. pg already at only 9...if I relax it all. Ugh!

I haven't been feeling as "paranoid" with this pg as I was with the last. But as many others I will feel much better when I can hear the heartbeat. Doc couldn't pick it up at last one but I was only 7.5wks. too. Next appt. I will be 11wks. so should hear it then. I am "scheduled" for an u/s a few days before but not for medical reasons. More for sanity reasons but I am second guessing that now. I had quite a few, mostly for medical, with last pg. and I am not one that is totally convinced that they do grave harm but understand how they could not be beneficial that's for sure. Basically I am feeling guilty now for agreeing to have one now (and at 20wks.) so I am thinking I will compromise and skip the early one when I can see it causing the most "harm" and opting for just the 20wk. one.

Dh and I had a nice chat this w/e and decided to stay with doc and learn her in the ways of natural child birth! We are going for the record for the most natural hospital child birth she's ever had. tee hehe

I am starting to freak out a bit over Ava and new baby sharing a room though. Granted baby will be with us for the first few months but our bed is small and co-sleeping with Ava did not work so well for us. At this time, Ava has inherited her mother's light sleeping and can at times wake at the creek of the floor! Maybe in the next 9months she will learn to sleep harder and GOD willing through the night!!! :
#21 of 55 Old 09-28-2004, 06:05 PM

not sure how this went again, with nothing in it. Not sure how to delete it.
#22 of 55 Old 09-28-2004, 06:15 PM

Hi ladies! Thanks for asking about me. I've been staying away because I was afraid that my spotting on Friday meant the end. Then this morning I was going to post, but I found more spotting. Luckily, I just had my second round of bloodwork done yesterday and my m/w had the results. She said based on the numbers, I'm doing great. My hCG is around 40,000 now (was 16,000 Friday) and progesterone is staying in the mid-20's, which is also good. I have popped a little more and have been feeling nauseous - another good sign. I had an ultrasound done on Friday to check things out. We saw a sack there that looked OK, but the results were unconclusive as the machine couldn't get a measurement. But I could have sworn I saw 2 sacks. I didnt' ask then because it was a delayed realization since I was so relieved to see at least one. It was a m/w doing it, not a technition, so the expereince level wasn't there. Anyway, bottom line, baby(s?) is still here!!!

Sorry this post is all about me today. I need to catch up on all of you. I hope everything is going well.
#23 of 55 Old 09-28-2004, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

OOh... Two sacks Keri? Hmmm.... Glad to hear that your numbers are doing well. Many to you. And much

Tish, may I second that it's totally normal to not show at 9 weeks with your first. You couldn't really tell I was pg the last time until 21 weeks. At 24 wks I finally had a real belly. But I was flat bellied forever. This time, I'm already unbuttoning my jeans because I feel bloated. I don't think I'm actually getting fat yet, especially since I'm having such a hard time eating, but definitely feeling tight.

slightly crunchy, I hope you like your midwife too! Good luck at your appointment.

schatz - are you serious that your insurance will only cover docs? Why is your fantasy birth center birth a no-go?

Gigi - Congratulations on your pregnancy! Good luck with controlling your GD. Do you have a good book for that?

Jenn, I feel more pregnant than I am. I didn't have morning sickness at all until 8 weeks last time and I certainly wasn't fat at all. I remember being so sad staring at my belly, waiting for it to grow...

Kristy! Hope co-sleeping goes better for you next time!

As for me, feeling muy yucky these days. Not wanting to eat anything, but knowing I need to. Feeling fatter, more tired, a little less headachey.

We did decide to birth in Cleveland and will be hiring a midwife here to support us in case my mom can't make it. It looks like I will be super pregnant for my sister's high school graduation and a friend's wedding provided I actually birth in June lke I fully expect to.

#24 of 55 Old 09-28-2004, 08:42 PM
Banned

i didn't start showing last time till almost 20 weeks, i think. my stomach stayed flat for a long time, then it got round but only i could tell . this time, it's a nice little bump but my pants don't feel tighter. i think it's maybe because i wear them pretty low?

the girlie took her first steps today! my baby is awesome . she was very proud of herself and she started clapping.
#25 of 55 Old 09-28-2004, 09:06 PM

[QUOTE=annakiss]OOh... Two sacks Keri?

Gigi - Congratulations on your pregnancy! Good luck with controlling your GD. Do you have a good book for that? /QUOTE]

I have read "Eating Expectantly" with last 2 pg's, which had a pretty good GD chapter. I also have the Sears Fam Nutrition Book on my nightstand. I have read it cover to cover, but I plan on cracking open the PG chapter tonight.

Do you have another book to recommend????? TIA!!!!!

Keri-
with my 2nd dd's pregnancy, I had an u/s at 10 weeks (since I was still nursing.. freaked mw out and wanted to be sure she had a good due date ) anyway, at 10 weeks I had twins, 2 sacs, 2 beating hearts . One of them "disappeared" by the u/s at 16 weeks... very common to have a disappearing twin. So it is VERY possible that you saw 2 sacs, but you may only see 1 next time.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#26 of 55 Old 09-28-2004, 10:04 PM

I've mostly been lurking, but here I am. Definitely pregnant and been feeling very sick. I'm okay right now, but mornings and sometimes all day.... blech! I hate nausea.

Yah, this is my second, and I just feel fat. I dug out my maternity clothes. I can't decide if my belly is really bigger or not.
#27 of 55 Old 09-29-2004, 01:05 AM

Everything is going along nicely. I have horrible heartburn. I burp constantly which makes it worse. I have been having dizzy spells also. My tummy is sticking out enough that i am noticably larger but not enough to obviously tell i am preggo yet. I am a pretty chunky woman anyway. Boobs are sore and HUGE. I won't be seeing the midwife for a few more weeks if ever (get to that in a minute).

We got approval for the house we were looking at. We put a partial down payment on it and now have to come up with the rest by October 8th. Shouldn't be a real problem to come up with. The problem is paying all the other bills also at the same time. We will be moving about an hour away from here. My midwife lives just 15 minutes from my house now. Where we are moving is just too far for me to drive and there are NO other midwives in that area at all. So we are considering no prenatal care and just letting nature take its course. My aunt has had 5 kids at home with no prenatal care and only a doula present (and DH and the other kids) and she has never had a problem. The good news is that the doula i was planning to use lives in the same town i am moving to. Everything is just kinda up in the air right now as to what we are going to do.
#28 of 55 Old 09-29-2004, 02:21 AM

Just found out today and am very excited to join all you fine ladies. EDD is 5/26/05... my dd will be two the month after. Am feeling great... good energy just like the last pg. Am HUNGRY and having some fun blood sugar stuff, but doing really well overall. We told EVERYONE except for people at my work. Will wait to tell them until I start to show... don't want to send them into fits just yet... only started the job a month ago.

Tired now and taking myself off to bed!

Thrilled to be here!
#29 of 55 Old 09-29-2004, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Hi ladies! Thanks for asking about me. I've been staying away because I was afraid that my spotting on Friday meant the end. Then this morning I was going to post, but I found more spotting. Luckily, I just had my second round of bloodwork done yesterday and my m/w had the results. She said based on the numbers, I'm doing great. My hCG is around 40,000 now (was 16,000 Friday) and progesterone is staying in the mid-20's, which is also good. I have popped a little more and have been feeling nauseous - another good sign. I had an ultrasound done on Friday to check things out. We saw a sack there that looked OK, but the results were unconclusive as the machine couldn't get a measurement. But I could have sworn I saw 2 sacks. I didnt' ask then because it was a delayed realization since I was so relieved to see at least one. It was a m/w doing it, not a technition, so the expereince level wasn't there. Anyway, bottom line, baby(s?) is still here!!!

Sorry this post is all about me today. I need to catch up on all of you. I hope everything is going well.
Keri,

I lost Gabriel's twin when i was about 9 weeks pg and went through much of what you are experiencing. It was the scarriest time in my life to know I was PG, to be bleeding and not know what the heck the end result was going to be... 2 babies, 1 baby, no babies???

I do always wonder if the twin I lost was the little girl I dreamt about when i was PG with Gabriel...?

I hope everything turns out okay with you. s
#30 of 55 Old 09-29-2004, 11:09 AM

Desa, I'm so sorry you lost a baby. Thank you for sharing your story.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page