Weekly Chat for Oct 4-9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-04-2004, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I thought I would start the weekly chat this week. I should have done it yesterday but I was at work ALL day as I work on weekends.

Anna- How are ya feeling? Did any of the remedies help ease your nausea? I really hope so.

I really want to do personals but Anna's is the last one I remember reading. I hope everyone is doing well and all the little ones are sticking with us mommies!!

to the newbies. Congratulations and looking forward to chatting with you the next 7mos.

I am doing pretty good. My energy level is back up. I actually am starting to get my house back in order. It's not quite there yet but it's better. I still have a little nausea instead of hunger but I usually eat before I get hungry so I have been feeling pretty good. I have my 2nd Dr. appointment tomorrow. I hope eveything is still normal :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2004, 06:02 PM
nym

I was feeling better, but today the nausea hit again. It is actually okay, makes me feel better about the whole thing I guess.

I see the doctor every 10 days right now as they are monitoring my BP already. It is high, and I really don't want to hae to go on the Labetelol again, but I will if it continues to rise.

Anyone take any belly pics yet? Do you feel/look bigger yet? I look pregnant.

I'm tired, but not tooo tired. Yesterday I went on a cleaning spree and got so much done. It was really nice to have a clean house for once!

How is everyone else?
Old 10-04-2004, 06:10 PM

I've been frustrated with the boards all day - slow, slow, slow but things seem normal now.

I'm 8 weeks 3 days today -- first doc appt on Wednesday. I found out today that one of my best friends had a miscarriage late last week. She's been struggling with infertility and they did an IUI in August and we had the same due date. I'm really bummed for her. My pregnancy is still sticking and it's my second one and another really good friend of ours is due in November with her second. I just feel bad for my friend and wish it were easier for her (we're both 35 so the clock is ticking too).

Otherwise, still fighting nausea - I can't decide if it's worse or better than with my first pregnancy. I think it's not as bad or I just know how to manage it better. Not showing yet but can't fit into most of my regular clothes. Bought some pants one size larger last week. My butt just gets big and then the belly catches up.

I've got dh renovating our second floor and I feel bad because I can't really do a lot of painting - we're painting the door trim white with an oil-based paint that's pretty smelly. The bathroom is half done (after being completely gutted last weekend).

I hope everyone else is doing well!
Old 10-05-2004, 10:10 AM

Any news from Keri? She's been on my mind lately...

A lot has been on my mind lately... What better place to let it rip than here? So we still haven't told any of our family. I don't want to have to deal with their negativity. Especially my mom. She's still waiting for me to divorce DH and find a good husband. (this from a woman who has been married 5 times!!)

We just found out DH's niece (who is our age) has cervical cancer, pretty advanced from what I am hearing. It makes me crazy that she did not go for her yearly Pap smears and this was left to spread unchecked. Her Dr's are talking about a hysterectomy (sp?). She has no kids, got married 3 years ago and has always joked with me that she and I would be PG together with the "next one". Here I am PG with my next one and she's looking at the possibility of not being able to carry children of her own. I honestly hope that the trickle down news that we've heard is exaggerated and it's not as bad as it was made out to be.

I got a weekly pregnancy newsleter on Sunday and it said that I should be able to feel the top of my uterus just above my pubic bone, which I can't. When DH and I had sex (TMI, sorry) recently I tried to see if I could feel my uterus when he was all the way in... Which I couldn't. So where oh where is my fundus?? I know I am over analyzing this but........ I remember being able to feel the top of my uterus at this stage of the game last time. Hmmmmm. But I was PG with twins. Maybe that's it?

Speaking of twins... I have never really felt the loss of Gabriel's twin. I was so consumed with being thankful for one strong heartbeat that I never took time to mourn the loss. Then when Gabriel was born talking about the lost baby was like talking in the abstract sense. We did not know that I was PG with twins until I was already in the process of losing one. So there was never time to bond with 2. It was just the hope that I wouldn't lose the pregnancy all together.

Now I feel sad that I never got to meet the little soul. Even though I had dream about *her* when i was pregnant with Gabriel. Her name was Darby. She had dirty blonde ringlets, like I did when I was younger, that reached halfway down her back. She caught a little boy that I was birthing and told me "He's okay, Mamma, he's okay", as she handed me my baby. She was wearing a purple shirt and had vibrant blue eyes. She was about 10 years old in my dream.

Every time I feel a twinge, a cramp, round ligaments pulling I am mentally preparing myself to miscarry a twin. Am I even pregnant with twins?

I have a cold right now. Feel like crap. Can't sleep at night because of congestion as well as Gabriel nursing every hour. And nursing is more of a tedious task than something I enjoy any more. My nipples feel like they are raw and (should be) bleeding everytime he latches on. EEEKKKKKK!! At least the MS has abated, somewhat, and the only time I feel sick is when I wake up in the middle of the night.

Gosh I wish my brain would stop for a moment and just give a measure of peace! Hope everyone is feeling well.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Desdamama - I am sorry about your DH's neice being sick. I too hope it is not as bad as it sounds. I had a cold a couple of weeks ago and it was miserable. Try to get some extra rest and take good care of yourself. I can't feel the top of my uterus either. I don't know when I am supposed to feel it. This is our first so I am just going with the flow.

nym- I have not taken any belly pics yet. I guess I should.
I got on a cleaning spree myself yesterday and accomplished a lot too. It sure feels better when the house is nice and clean.

I have a doctors appointment today. I really hope she is going to tell me everything is moving along as normal. I get worried so easily. My friend told me thst she's never heard of people worring about defects and miscarrages as much as me. I thought it was normal for people to be worried. She makes me feel like I'm silly for worrying and crazy when I have these super emotional moments. She's a great friend but not very understanding when it comes to certain things. Oh well

How's everyone doing?
Old 10-05-2004, 12:11 PM
Len

Hello everyone!

Desdamona, I got the goosebumps with your dream! I understand how hard it must be for you to inform the world of your being pregnant, especially now with your niece having to face this....

I've been OK. No m/s but little nausea once in a while, and extremely tired still. I hope this will subside soon and I can start excercising some.

Not much more to report!

Elena
Old 10-05-2004, 01:12 PM

s, Desdemona.

Nym, hope your BP stays down and you won't need the meds. I guess going to the doctor's office that often would get pretty tiresome.

I was doing a little better, less nausea for a couple of days, and then I caught this yucky cold and every time I cough I feel like I will puke. DH has been awesome, holding everything together around here and taking ds out when he can so I can rest.

I can't wait to start exercising again, too. It was really helping with the energy level.

I am having a hard time nursing ds at times, especially at night. Last night I got upset because I thought he was gnawing funny on my nipple. Well, then I felt terrible because when I turned on the light and checked his latch and all, it wasn't him at all, just the hormones. The mornings and naps are still okay and we have nice long sessions then. I am trying to enjoy them as I have this feeling he may wean before the pregnancy is over. He cut down on his own to only morning, nap, and bedtime a few weeks back. He will occasionally still nurse when upset, but even then he won't ask for it, and sometimes declines when I offer. He is extra snuggly at those times, though, so I guess he is learning other ways to feel better and that is all good.

Anyone NOT looking pregnant yet? I definitely don't. I am only fitting in one pair of pants, though, so went and bought a pair of jeans a size bigger. I know I will be wearing them again next fall on my way back down to my normal weight. Despite having a bigger butt, no weight gain yet!

Have a great week!
Old 10-05-2004, 02:27 PM

Hey Slightly Crunchy -- I think we are one in the same! I'm seriously considering encouraging dd to wean because the pain is just too intense and I need sleep. She nurses to sleep which is fine but she still wakes at midnight and 3 or 4. I know she loves her boobies (yes, dh taught her to say that) but I'm dyin' here. It's worse than when I had cracked nipples and flaky, yeasty skin from thrush.

I don't look preggo yet either -- just a big butt. Although, I think one very observant co-worker suspects. New pants, no diet coke, slightly heavier. I'm going to spill the beans at work if I hear the heartbeat tomorrow at the docs.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:58 PM

Desdamama...I had a missed miscarriage in Nov. of '02. I had a similar dream that my baby *girl* had similar features as mine as a child and was giggling skipping along in heaven. I think it's good, whether you consider it late or not, to mourn the loss of Darby. And I feel, as I did mine, that your dream was a true sign on your own personal guardian angel in heaven looking down on you. How precious that we mamas of angel babies can say that we have such perfect beautiful souls looking over us.

MS has finally disappeared minus a few hits here and there just to "remind" me I am pg. Exhaustion, however, is really taking my life over. I have finally come to terms with the fact that my house will NEVER be in order again.

I could say that I am really looking pg....but I am not sure how much is pg and how much is accrued FAT!! : Back to the guilt of not getting rid of as much post-pg weight with Ava...sigh.

I have 2nd OB visit Friday and I am crossing fingers and toes that we will hear the thumping of a heartbeat. This time of the pregnancy always makes me hold my breathe.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:58 PM

Thanks for starting the new thread. I am indeed still sick. It's not getting any better. I'm sometimes waking up in the middle of the night feeling on the verge of vomitting and having to go eat crackers.

nym - I really hope your BP stays down.

Desdamona - I'm sorry to hear about your niece.

Schatz - I am so sorry about your friend. I can understand the feeling of wanting her to not have to deal with that as well as the twinge of guilt for getting to be pregnant.

Tish - I'm sure everything is moving along fine. If you have a gut feeling about it, then that's one thing, but if you're just having little tugging questions that come up, then that's totally normal. The thing that helped me in my first pregnancy was something I learned in yoga, actually. Let yourself consider your fears as they come up, but don't hold on to them. Let them go. When a new fear comes up, examine it, consider what you might do if that were to happen, how you might react or cope, then simply release it, because there's nothing you can do now.

The whole world now knows that I am pregnant, despite our plans not to tell everyone for a while. Jon's aunt is in our state this week and called to have us come visit, but it's a two hour drive that I'm not up to with being nauseous constantly and Jon's incredibly busy anyway. So he felt that he HAD to tell them I was pregnant because of course him being busy isn't really a good enough of an excuse. So now his whole family knows and he had to call his mom and dad to tell them since the extended family knew. These were the people we really didn't want to tell in case something happened because they are typically gossipy and ill-mannered and not the sort of people you want knowing about your miscarriage if, god forbid, you (or I as the case may be) have one. My step brother and sister still don't know, however. I suppose I should take care of that. hmmm...

Haven't taken a belly shot in a while as I don't think I'm growing visibly at all, though I feel a tad bloated in my jeans. We took the one photo at 4 + weeks and I'm sure we'll get back to them in a few more weeks. With our photos last time, once I actually started growing, I grew noticeably every week. I carry it all in the belly and my butt & thighs & arms just get a tad padded. Jon always makes fun of this and holds his hand up to cut off the belly because it just looks like regular me without it.

We decided to give birth here at our house instead of at my mom's, which is a nice relief. I called one midwife and need to set up an appointment to interview her. We're interviewing another one too, but I haven't gotten a hold of her yet. We have time. I have other things to worry about anyhow now that it's October. I totally flaked my son's ped visit yesterday. I had him watch a movie while I laid on the floor trying to sleep next to him instead. I haven't been cleaning or doing much of anything. Periodically a big wave of nausea hits me and I'm left on all fours trying not to throw up. Then Jon has to rush in with crackers and water. I should be eating constantly instead, but nothing is appetizing at all. And eating makes me nauseous too anyway so it's like I'm on a bread and water diet as it is. I tried beans and rice for a couple of days, but now the sound of that is nauseating as well. Potatoes are working out okay, but I keep thinking I need some frigging protein. This really, really, really sucks. And it's exactly how it was with my last pregnancy. Although, it may be worse, I can't decide or remember accurately.

Anyway, so we're birthing here at our house and hoping that my mom makes it up in time, but hiring a midwife as well. We have to really save up the money for this, but I don't even know what it's going to cost. We'll find out when we do the interviews. I also want to rent a birth tub. Right now I can't really visualize the birth, but I know it's early and time I'm sure will help with that. I haven't signed up for prenatal yoga yet either, but I looked it up and the class that's close by is on Sunday mornings at 11:45 which with my fatigue and nausea does not at all sound doable. The other place that has them is much further away, but it's on Thursday nights, which sounds nicer. I'll probably wait awhile either way. My nausea has to subside somewhat before I attempt that. As it is, I was impressed with myself yesterday for getting out of the house for 30 minutes (box of crackers in the passenger seat of the car) while I returned library books, videos and paid rent.

Well now I've babbled on long enough. I should go inform my step-siblings that I'm pregnant via email.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
Old 10-05-2004, 05:13 PM

Blech, I feel icky today. I've been feeling kind of sick the last few days. Strange, because I never felt sick with the others. I'm exhasted too. Of course, this comes after a long post about me not feeling pregnant. I guess I get what I ask for, lol.

My tummy is looking more and more pregnant every day. I got told by some guy at starbucks this morning "cute tummy!"
Old 10-05-2004, 05:25 PM

I just reread what I had posted this morning and my goodness I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. for all the s and sympathy. Just what this preggy lady needed.

Anna -- I am so sorry to hear you are still sick. Have you tried ginger? I know that you have gone through just about every remedy. Just keep in your mind that these hormores that are making you sick are the same ones that are sustaning that little miracle growing within you. No one said being a birthing goddess was easy but think about what an awesome task the heavens have bestowed unto you.

Slightly Crunchy -- I don't look pregnant yet either. A little poochie but if I suck it in I can still zip up my pants. I think it is more in the mind set with me though... I'm in my 2nd month. I don't have to wear regular clothes. I want to be comfortable. The end, I wear baggy stuff. Plus my ab muscles have never rebounded after these last 2 babies being 9 and 10 lbs. And it doesn't help that I haven't done anything to help flatten this belly of mine out either.

Off to make a yummy dinner of black beans and rice.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:39 PM

hello all

nym.hope the bp goes back down
desdamona...thats so sad about your niece...hoep that it doesnt have to go so far as taking out her uterus.
glad to hear everyone is for the most part starting to feel alittle better in the ms arena....and there seems to be a little wave of house reorganizing this week!

i too am really trying to catch up with my house and where its gone in the last few weeks. definately looking pg now. wende...i here you with the cute tummy thing...my belly has been getting alot of curious eye contact lately. from your pics im about the same size as you.

dh and i are not getting along at all. i think we'd rather not be together right now...but this to shall pass (i hope) we dont feel like freinds, partners, anything. we sit on sseperate couches. its so sad. we are both i think exhasted from trying and the pg makes me even more so. we are fairly religious and not about to jump on the divorce train, but man i wish i could just live alone for alittle while.

anyone else have a dh that hasnt even barely aknowledged the pg so far. he says nothing about it, never pokes the belly (we dont touch at all) i've been offline for the last few nights cuz he gets frusterated that i am onlline at night so much, but then i just sit there or clean up or read. its no better.

ahhh!!! (needed to vent : )

my m/w asked me to get the us because my hcg levels and dates werent matching and i am planning another home birth. so....relenting, i went. i am appearently 2 more days pg then i thought, so there was really no need to go....feel kind of bad now. however on the plus side, i got to see my baby move and the heartbeat...so i feel more secure this time. i guess my new dd will be may 11...we'll see if the m/w wants to change it. matters none to me.

ok enough gabbing....this is turning into more of a novel
ttyl
Old 10-05-2004, 05:50 PM

Count me in the very nauseous club! But no throwing up - yet. I've had to stop my prenatals because my throat doesn't want to swallow much. And I'm still spotting a tiny bit. I had a huge panic yesterday morning and was convinced I was going to have a m/c because I woke up feeling good. Luckily, nausea set in by that afternoon and today it's back in full force.

Desdamona, thanks for asking about me and sorry things are so stressful for you. I need to ask you though - you've HAD sex? My poor dh hasn't had any since we conceived. :LOL (I doubt he thinks it's funny, but he hasn't made an issue so I think he understands) Between total exhaustion, fear of the spotting and nausea - well, the mood hasn't struck.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:33 PM

I am doing pretty good (still). I only have nausea when i don't eat on time. I have to go close on our new house either tomorrow or the day after. We are moving Oct 9th and 10th. I FINALLY found a birthing center. It is about an hour from where we are moving and in a different state. I have an appointment there for Oct 12th. My doula had her daughter there (waterbirth) and she also does their childbirth classes. The lady i spoke with (for over an hour) was super friendly and didn't seem rushed or try to rush me off the phone. She said they alott about an hour to each appointment to make sure if there are any questions or anything that there is no rush and i will have plenty of time to ask or talk about anything i need to. Totally sounds like a dream place to me. Maybe i can just go move in and be around all the nice people and birthing Mamas all the time.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

I tried to post last night but everything was moving so slow so I decided I would this am. Now I don't have time for personals because I have school. I went to the DR yesterday and everything was normal I was tickled to pieces when I heard that tiny little heart beating It made everything seem so much more real. I have been elated about the who experience. . DH is going to go with me to the next visit in 4 weeks so he can hear it too. Well, I just wanted to share my excitement and happiness with you all. I hope everyone is doing well and taking care of yourselves.
I'll probably be back for personals later this afternoon.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:02 PM

LadyWolf - glad to hear you found a birthcenter!!

I am not sure what it is about the area in which I live but there seems to be a shortage, nay, lack of midwives, doulas, AND birthing centers all together. We had one...and that is where dh and I took our Bradley classes last pg. But they have recently closed and I am not able to get a hold of our Bradley coaches OR the midwife who ran the center. : So, we are back to our Family Practice doc. Who I like, but a there's just no taking the doctor out of a doctor. She is however, very supportive of us and our "plan" to have this areas most natural hospital birth possible!

I am having an u/s today at 11.5wks. because I am considered high risk (due to previous miscarriage and slight complications with last pg). I was really wavering on whether to do it or not. My mind is 50/50 on absolute harm caused by u/s's but the technician who performs it is wonderful and does them very quickly...getting the info. she needs and getting out.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:42 PM

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
Old 10-06-2004, 03:14 PM
nym

Velvet - did you hear the heartbeat with a doppler? I am hoping we can hear it at my appt. today

Kristy - are you 11.5 or 10.5 weeks? We have absolutely no optionbs for midwives or doulas here either. I am having a doula come from 6 hours awaw!

I am feeling like crap this morning! DS didn't sleep well last night, so I didn't sleep well last night. And i woke up with stabbing pain in my nipple. OMG it hurt!@
Old 10-06-2004, 04:15 PM

Vanessa - I am 10.5wks. I had several options for midwives and one birthing center BEFORE I got pg. But now I can't find either midwife and the birthing center recently closed!

I just had an ultrasound done this a.m. and *phew* they found a heartbeat and this lil dude is really moving around!! Everything seems to be right on track and baby is growing steadily. I feel terribly guilty for having one but with my pg history the "experts" thought it best and it put my mind at ease...now for a peaceful, uneventful 8mo.!
Old 10-06-2004, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Desdamona, thanks for asking about me and sorry things are so stressful for you. I need to ask you though - you've HAD sex? My poor dh hasn't had any since we conceived. :LOL (I doubt he thinks it's funny, but he hasn't made an issue so I think he understands) Between total exhaustion, fear of the spotting and nausea - well, the mood hasn't struck.

Hey Keri... You mean we aren't supposed to be having sex? It was the first time we had had, um... relations since we found out i was PG. Believe me there will be a HUGE drought in this house once I start showing. Dh gets weirded out once I hit about 5 months. So the way that I look at it is that I have about 3 months of sex (without guilting him into it) left and I am going to make the best I can out of the next 3 months!!
Old 10-06-2004, 04:21 PM
nym

Kristy- that is awesome I had an u/s too, and will probably have another soon. I had some huge ovarian cysts that they are watching.

Yay! for heartbeats and wiggling babies!
Old 10-06-2004, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Vanessa- I heard it with the doppler. It took her a min to find it but she did and I heard it 2x.
I had a talk with the little peanut on the way to the office. I said "Please let mommy hear your hearbeat. I want to know you are in there and doing good" I hope you get to hear yours today too

Kristi - I am glad everything is going well and you got to see and hear the heartbeat!!!

Desdamama and Keri -DH and I have been gio at least once a week. We had a short dry spell but he wouldn't have it for too long. I was nervous the first time but since then I've felt pretty confident that it is ok.

Anna- How are a feeling today? I am glad you are going to do a homebirth. I hope everything goes as planned and I also hope your Mom can be there for you.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:39 PM
nym

I really hope I get to hear it today. I really want to~!~~~ I go in a half an hour! Weee!
Old 10-07-2004, 12:31 AM

Anna--sorry you are feeling so sick! What a nice husband to bring you crackers and water! Mine doesn't even say anything when I get sick anymore. <sigh> Hopefully you will be feeling a lot better after another week or two.

Nym--did you get to hear the heartbeat?

Schatz--I hear you on wanting to wean. I waffle back and forth on this every other day. I haven't outright refused ds yet, but have cut some sessions (very) short, so I guess we are already partial weaning. I hadn't really thought about it that way before, but that is what it is. But I know my own limits, and do the most I can.

And sex? What's that? There is no way I am staying up just past 10 p.m. and fighting nausea for SEX! Ha. About the last thing on my mind. Have to let this first trimester pass, I think.

I know there were some other personals I wanted to do but can't remember them all, am so tired and ready for bed.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:21 PM

7 weeks 6 days

I am having trouble keeping my blood sugars near or below 95 in the morning. My diet is good, adn my daytime sugars are fine, but i can not seem to lower my fasting sugars with diet.

I met with my endocronologist yesterday. I actually saw his PA, and I really liked her a lot. She wants to manage my Gest Diab "very aggressively" (so much for the non-medical pregnancy ha ha). She says that my blood work taken June shows no signs of full blown diabetes, which I was happy to hear.

SHe told me to gain only 15 lbs.
Exercise daily.
I have to track my blood sugars about 6 times per day , adn I will be taking insulin every night. I also have a perscription for "daytime" insulin should I need it.

I also have to take the (dreaded) GD class at the hospital (for the 3rd time in 4 years, no less )

But I don't have to drink the glucola stuff ever during this pg......

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:58 PM

I had an us on Tuesday and everything looked fine, I saw the little heart beating and everything! Then, of course, I started bleeding again but it was old looking and I think it was probably just residual from the bleed the week before. They had to do a vaginal us so the poking around might have provoked the second bleed. It seems to have stopped now so I'm feeling more hopeful again!
Nursing Rose has become unbearable, I actually told her last night that I couldn't nurse her but I'd snuggle with her in bed instead. She accepted it really easily but that almost made me more sad!
My mw told me at my visit on Wed. that she will be working with a brand new graduate in May so I might want to switch to another group within the same practice. I was looking forward to having the same mw I'd had with Rose but we think, with my history, it would be better to go with a team where both mw's have a lot of experience. So I'm shopping!

Desdemona, I loved your dream, how powerful!

Jenn, I'm sorry to hear about you and dh. Can you two get out and spend some time together, maybe do something romantic? It doesn't have to cost a lot, but it might help to make you feel more connected.

To all of you suffering with ms, and the rest of it - hang in there! Its only going to last until May at the latest!
Old 10-07-2004, 04:09 PM
nym

No I didn't get to. I am slightly bigger, so my doc waits until 12-14 weeks. Which is fine with me, I guess :P

I did see the heartbeat at 6 weeks, so I am not worried about that. And I do have lots of morning sickness! And the fatigue has got me now too!
Old 10-07-2004, 10:24 PM

I just wanted to post and send for your relationship with your dh. dp and I don't always get along either, and it can be so sucky. Especially if your pregnant, and need extra support.

I hope you are finding extra support here, even if you can't log on all that much.

Good luck mama, and you're in my thoughts.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:18 AM

Im late! :

Just wanted to say hi to all of you.

I **think** I am around 9 wks.... Im not sure though. I havent seen my midwife yet. I went for an us (ick) and she said it looks like was at 5 wks. So anyway...

I am toying with the idea if going unassisted (but not unattended) and I think my midwife will be cool with that. She rocks

User Tag List