keeping weight down?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-08-2004, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With my DS pregnancy I put on a whopping 70 pounds this time I really want to keep my weight down...
I'm terrified of gaining alot! As I'm already waaaay over my ideal weight
I try to excercise but i've been so tired! I am eating better...
So my question is... how did you keep your weight down and still have a beautiful healthy babe?!
My midwife mentioned that one of her previous clients didn't put on any weight at all and was very healthy... How is this possible? It would be awesome if I could do this but I don't see how....
HELP ME MOMMAS!

Amanda, wife to Ed mama to Logan, Phoenix, Indigo and snuggle bunny EZRA RAIN has arrived
#2 of 4 Old 10-09-2004, 06:50 AM

I am in a similar situation, as I already need to lose about 60-80 lbs to be at a healthy weight. I am trying to gain as little as possible while providing my baby with MORE than enough quality nutrition! I think that exercise is the way to go, as you can eat more, and your body can burn off thru exercise anything after the baby gets a shot at it!

I am loosely following the Brewer Diet. I am avoiding all refined sugar. Hard, but I know there is no nutritional value for me or the baby. I am also trying to get a lot of omega 3 fats into my diet, and eat "low fat" on everything else (low fat dairy, chicken vs meat, etc... while still eating high fat nut butters, fish, eggs, etc). I am also trying to make sure that the majority of the dairy that I consume is cultured for pro-biotics (yogurt and kefir instead of drinking milk)

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#3 of 4 Old 10-09-2004, 01:35 PM

I gained more than 80 lbs with DS #2. He weighed 9½ lbs. With Ds #3 I only gained 35 lbs and he weighed almost a pound more than his older brother. I (tried to) eat high protien, low carb, staying away from overly refined starches/sugars. Lots of green leafy veggies. (Very yummy in a salad with Gardenburgers Black Bean burgers! Sauteed escarole with garlic - yum! Spinach and ricotta with gemelli pasta... I think my appetite is coming back ) Fruits here and there. Little/no fruit juice. Lots of water and RRL tea sweetened with honey.

Also I was more active. Walked 30 min at least 4 times a day. Usually just before nap time or after dinner, which is a nice to to connect with the family or take some me time without the little ones. And when the weather would permit there was always 4 laps around the mall that holds my grocery store.
#4 of 4 Old 10-10-2004, 04:26 PM

My Chinese Medical Dr. also thinks that a very slight weight gain is best. He thinks it should really not be much more than what the baby and everything weighs... which isn't much! He blames diet as the main culprit, noting how in the old days there wasn't all this crap (refined white trash) to consume. He's also against dairy for the most part, which is usually high in fats...

Very good ideas you ladies put forth, I'm making notes, because I am in dire need of a food makeover! It seems like this PG I have just fell off the wagon, and I haven't been able to get back on. Not to mention I've had an aversion to most "health food" (IE - tofu, soy cheese, etc.)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page