Are you gonna find out the gender of your baby? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: Are you going to find out the gender of your baby?
yes 10 23.81%
no 19 45.24%
I want to - dp does not 2 4.76%
Dp wants to - I dont 3 7.14%
Not sure yet 7 16.67%
other 1 2.38%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 10-09-2004, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just curious
#2 of 29 Old 10-09-2004, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

I voted dont know yet...
#3 of 29 Old 10-09-2004, 07:11 PM

Nope. Not having any sort of test that would tell us for one, like the surprise secondly.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#4 of 29 Old 10-09-2004, 07:39 PM

Not planning on it, as I'm hoping for no U/S.
#5 of 29 Old 10-09-2004, 08:50 PM
nym

Yes, we like to know
#6 of 29 Old 10-09-2004, 09:25 PM

I won't find out with any children I have. I don't 'believe' in it :LOL
If we were suppose to know we would!
Just not for us!

Amanda, wife to Ed mama to Logan, Phoenix, Indigo and snuggle bunny EZRA RAIN has arrived
#7 of 29 Old 10-09-2004, 11:22 PM

Nope, but I don't plan on a second trimester ultrasound, so no way to find out.
#8 of 29 Old 10-09-2004, 11:27 PM

I like to know ahead so I can wash the right gender clothes and get them in drawers before baby gets home.
#9 of 29 Old 10-09-2004, 11:39 PM

Nope, not us. The surprise is just too much fun. As my dad says, there are very few true surprises in this world, why take away one of them? If I have to dress a baby boy in pink for a few days, then so be it. I won't take any pictures. :LOL
#10 of 29 Old 10-10-2004, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

hey I have no problem with boys in pink! :LOL
#11 of 29 Old 10-10-2004, 07:37 AM

No, we won't find out. At least not by ultrasound, since we aren't having one. Does energy work count though? I've got a couple of friends who are known to be more accurate than US in determining gender.
DH and I both want the surprise.
#12 of 29 Old 10-10-2004, 11:46 AM

Didn't find out prenatally with Gabriel (we did with #1 and #2) and it was such a sweet surprise to discover this sweet baby we had been marveling at for 10 minutes was a BOY. A big shock because we all were convinced that he was a She!

I usually hate surprises. Am a big CONTROL FREAK! So when we had the echocardiogram it took everything in me to not ask to scan between the legs for a little peek. Thank goodness DH was right there "restraining" me. And the tech as well as doc were very respectful of our decision NOT to find out never even looked below the baby's waist in the off chance we would see any tell tale signs.

If it is a girl, I would like to know ahead of time though... Just because i have nothing pink... But little girls look adorable in blue too. As well as vice versa.
#13 of 29 Old 10-10-2004, 03:30 PM

We will find out with this one... I cant wait. If this one is a girl than I wont find out with the next. Silly, I know but thats what works for us! I just couldnt stand not to be prepared and not have a nursery done as I imagine itll be hard to do a nursery when having 2.
#14 of 29 Old 10-10-2004, 04:09 PM

I voted other, just to be difficult!!
We won't be finding out by u/s, but due to Traditional Chinese Medicine we already have a good idea. DH knows how to check the pulse to tell. He's not a Dr., though - but he thinks its a girl, which matches my intuition. So, we think we may already know... but we are still debating whether or not to have out TCM Dr. tell us what his prediction is... He is like 99% accurate! We really enjoyed the suprise last time, but we might be leaning more towards finding out this time.
and Desa, we were marveling over CJoe for a little while too, before we even thought to check the sex! LOL!
#15 of 29 Old 10-10-2004, 09:57 PM

I'm not sure.

On the one hand, I soooo want a daughter (this isn't a one-boy-one-girl thing, I have always wanted a daughter) and I feel so eager to find out! I also want to know if I can buy a few frilly things. I'm not huge on dressing girls all in pink and boys all in blue, but I have NOTHING girlie at all, it's all either boyish or neutral, and it would be nice to have something floral.

On the other hand, I really liked getting the whole surprise at the end. I know, it's a surprise whenever you find out because you didn't know before then, but somehow it's a bigger, more dramatic, more naturalistic this-is-how-the-generations-have-done-it surprise when you find out at the baby's birth.

So I think I'm leaning toward not finding out. I'll probably buy some girlie things anyway and use them as gifts or put away in the hopes of having a girl someday if we have another son. I'll take something neutral to the hospital, or one boyish and one frou-frou girlish outfit.

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#16 of 29 Old 10-11-2004, 08:30 AM
Len

I don't think I'll even have an ultrasound. i sad "I think" because that what I was planning, until I told DH, and he didn't fully agree with me .... but in any case we wouldn't find out the sex.
#17 of 29 Old 10-11-2004, 07:13 PM

Well..
I would love to know the sex of the baby I have three boys and wonder if this will be the elusive girl. There aren't very many ultrasound places that will tell you the sex of the baby here so It really doesn't matter if I want to know or not they probably won't tell me anyway, but I will be asking you never know
crystal
#18 of 29 Old 10-12-2004, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

I wonder how many non-invasive ways there are to tell the sex of the baby?
#19 of 29 Old 10-12-2004, 01:53 PM

I voted not sure yet. I am not sure if i will get the u/s at 18 wks....and even if i do...there are no garentees (in bc, canada at least) that they will tell you. i know of one place that MAY tell you, depending on the tech that is doing the u/s. i think they worry of A) getting it wrong and B) increased aborting.

if i go in and if the tech will tell me... i want to know.
I think its a suprise on the u/s day too that makes 3 exciting days for me! finding out im pg/finding out the sex and picking a name so i can talk to the baby using it in utero/and then the great day i get to hold him/her.
#20 of 29 Old 10-13-2004, 12:00 AM

Nope nope nope!
I'm sure I will be very tempted though! I'm one of those delayed gratification types!
#21 of 29 Old 10-13-2004, 09:09 AM

Yep. We knew without a doubt with both of the girls (We had 10+ Level 2 ultrasounds with each one, so there was no way that we didn't know :LOL) and I'm sure we'll find out this time, too. THough I am hoping for a non-high risk pg this time around, so maybe we'll have the normal 2nd tri us that will tell us

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#22 of 29 Old 10-14-2004, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace_lily_mama
I voted other, just to be difficult!!
We won't be finding out by u/s, but due to Traditional Chinese Medicine we already have a good idea. DH knows how to check the pulse to tell. He's not a Dr., though - but he thinks its a girl, which matches my intuition. So, we think we may already know... but we are still debating whether or not to have out TCM Dr. tell us what his prediction is... He is like 99% accurate! We really enjoyed the suprise last time, but we might be leaning more towards finding out this time.
and Desa, we were marveling over CJoe for a little while too, before we even thought to check the sex! LOL!
My TCM doctor is going to check with my pulse. So far (11 weeks), she thinks it's a boy, but that she says the time that it is most accurate is from weeks 12-16, so she'll check up on it then and let me know for sure what she thinks it is. She also has a great reputation for being accurate, so it's very exciting!
#23 of 29 Old 10-15-2004, 11:27 PM

I voted yes. With our first (dd), we didn't want to know. We were convinced it was a boy until right before we went in for the c-section (long story) when dh said all of a sudden he knew it was a girl and she would be okay.
Ironically, one of the reasons I didn't want to know was that I didn't want to be drowned in tons of pink flowers or blue cars by well-meaning friends and relatives. I'm horrible at keeping that kind of news to myself. Well, DD was 6 weeks early, made a brief appearance at her own baby shower and everyone knew we'd had a girl.
This time I want to know what of DD's stuff to keep, and, well, I just really want to know this time. Almost like I really didn't want to know last time. We'll just have to wait and see.
#24 of 29 Old 10-16-2004, 09:03 PM

We didn't find out with dd but I kinda want to know this time around. Don't know for sure what we'll decide, especially considering we're doing a home birth and it won't be as easy to get hooked up!

Usually I am a control freak and want to know everything! But it was so wonderful to have my dh announce our baby's gender to the room and have that one little bit of knowledge before anyone else could. Hmmm... maybe I'm talking myself into NOT knowing!
#25 of 29 Old 10-17-2004, 02:10 PM

This is one where I don't have much of a choice. WHile I think it would great to wait until delivery and hear "It's a ....."
DH and my mom are insisting on knowing. Just one of those fights that aren't worth it to me
#26 of 29 Old 10-18-2004, 02:38 PM

Yes if possible we will. If it is a girl, we are set and pretty much don't have to buy a thing (other than diapers since Grace wore out the smaller size diapers we bought last time) because it will be the same seasons and all for clothes and everything. If it's a boy, we'll have to buy pretty much all new clothes except for a few GN sleepers we got from DH's family last time because they ddin't know what we were having.
#27 of 29 Old 10-18-2004, 03:19 PM

I don't want to find out this time but dh does. It will be a battle of wills and I'm usually the one to break first so we'll probably end up finding out.
#28 of 29 Old 10-19-2004, 06:22 PM

We didn't find out with Logan and the joy of hearing my best friend scream down the hall of the hospital "IT'S A GIRL" and apparently do a dance, made me glad it was a surprise. I think the element of surprise is like a bonus, you wait all this time for this wonderful gift and the surprise is like the 10% you get in a king size candy bar, it just makes it that much sweeter!

I have a feeling its a boy, but it may just be that because we already have a girl I just automatically assume the next will be a boy, but I also keep refering to the baby as "he" and I've dreamt that we had a boy. But I won't be dissapointed either way, just as long as this one stays out of the NICU! :
#29 of 29 Old 10-23-2004, 10:52 PM

I'm not going to find out. I always thought that it was one of lifes true surprises. However, with my 1st I always thought it was a girl and I was right and the lady at the Thai resturant said girl...for sure. So I will just ask her again to see if she can go 2 for 2. This time I feel like its a boy who I have named Ralph since my MS has been so bad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page