What herbs/supplements are you taking? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2004, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that mainstream medical Amerika says that herbs and supplements are ALL no-nos when Preggo, but we mothering moms know better. I know a lot of people are taking RRL tea, I'm going to once I get some... got to tone that uterus!

I was just wondering if any of you are taking any other herbs or supplements besides your prenatals - and if so, what are you taking them for. Personal question, I know, but I'm kindof wanting to get a gage on who's trying to increase supply with herbs. As of yet, I have been kindof torn on the issue. I just don't know if I should - because if nature intended for me to have a lower supply, maybe I should let it be... ???

Another thing I was wondering is - what prenatals are you taking. I am looking for a good whole food supplement, but I know if I had that, I'd be taking like 50 pills a day.

As of now, I am taking the Jarrow Prenatal and Lactation Supplements that I took last time. YOu have to take like 6 a day!

Just curious!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2004, 12:46 AM

I am taking NewChapetr's Perfect Prenatals. I need to take 4 a day, which is really annoying--I can't imagine 6 a day!

As far as supplements, I am not taking anything herbal other than what is in the prenatals. But I am taking other supps:
-2 capsules of Nordic Naturals omega 3 fish oil / day
-1 Culturelle probiotic capsule / day (will increase to 2 /day by 3rd trimester)
-I am also going to add a 500 mg Calcium citrate with magnesium supplement per day because I am not getting enough calcium and I am allergic to dairy so I just can't drink copious amounts of milk. I need to take it at lunch so it doesn't interfere with the iron in the prenatals I take in the am and pm.

Whew! I don't think I'll add anything else, but I may have cod liver oil once a week and add some ground flax seed to salads and smoothies to stay regular later on.
Old 10-15-2004, 12:50 AM

I am not taking any prenatals, but I always take Neuromins DHA capsules daily. My midwife recommended taking equal amounts of Calcium with Magnesium, (1200mg of each), and I found that amount in the Rainbow Light supplements which are food based AND contain enzymes which is perfect. Later on in the pregnancy I will start taking the floridix for iron. Oh, and I also drink RRL tea.

:SaHM to 3 *DD* DD2 * DS
Old 10-16-2004, 12:44 AM

I'm taking a B complex vitamin, a liver support multivitamin that my Naturopath prescribed and a horsetail and nettle infusion. I'm drinking lemon balm tea to help with digestion and will be adding rrl tea too, once I'm in the 2nd trimester. I'm going to start some ginger too, to help with the nausea, reflux and general icky feelings!
Old 10-16-2004, 09:49 AM

I also take New Chapter prenatals. Love them! Sometimes I only take half the dose (so two pills), and in that case I take some extra folic acid as well, and sometimes Vitamin C if I can't stomach citrus that day.

I am waiting on the RRL tea until after the first trimester, probably not til the third. But not because of any uterine effects, just cuz I like it!

I eat very little dairy so I probably should take some calcium, too. Waiting for this nausea to pass first.
Old 10-16-2004, 04:40 PM

only taking prenatal vit's right now - rainbow light. but i probably start "green caps" made up by my herbalist friend to help boost my iron in my second trimester if i continue to be on the low side. they have yellow dock, nettles, dandelion and rrl ground into a powder and the put into capsules. i've been drinking mother's tea (by yogi?) since conception. with the light peppermint flavor it's helped my stomach some. once i'm in the middle of my 2nd trimester i'll start drinking rrl regularly as well.

evening primrose is something i'll consider at term 40+ wks. i've had a sticky posterior cervical lip each birth and maybe this will help me not have to have it held back, which is not the funnest thing!

User Tag List