Kinda OT: What's for dinner? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-07-2004, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am at a loss as to what to make for dinner most nights. I usually (read: pre-pg) would make a menu for the week and stick to it 80% of the time. Now I can barely stand the thought of sitting down and make a menu.

So is there anyone out there that would like to share some dinner ideas? Here are some staples in our house. If you are interested, I'll send you the recipe. We are meat eaters, but do have a couple of meatless recipes and the black blean soup is entirely vegan friendly.

Meat
Old Bay, Garlic and Rosemary Chicken w/ Roasted Veggies
Chicken and Stuffing Casserole (comfort food BIG time!)
Pepper Steak w/ Rice
Chicken Piquant
Parmesan Chicken
"Sunday Sauce" w/ meatballs and ital. sausage (good for freezing ½ for later)
Stuffed Peppers
Roasted Sausage, Peppers, Poatoes ans Onions (so easy!)
Baked Chicken w/ Potatoes, lemon and oregano
Escarole and Beans (has ital sausage but could be omitted)

Meatless, w/ dairy
Asparagus Romano Pasta
Spinach & Ricotta over Pasta
Tomato Parmesan Lentil Soup

100% Vegan
Black Bean Soup (authentic Cuban recipe, minus the ham bones of course)

Anyone wanna share? Please help this frazzled mamma out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 11-07-2004, 08:32 PM

I know exactly how you feel. Well, I think I do. The idea of planning a week's worth of dinners is exhausting but shopping everyday is even worse. So far I've been roasting a chicken twice a month. I either roast it with an olivada under the skin or I just tried a spice rub. Then we use the meat the rest of the week for quesadillas or chicken and veggies over pasta or even on a pizza. I then make stock from the carcass and make a yummy minestrone-type soup. That's pretty much a week for us if I get a big enough chicken. The soup can also be made with vegetable broth and then I'm pretty sure it's vegan.

The other two weeks a month are not as pretty.

If it's not too much trouble I'd love to see the recipe for the Chicken and stuffing casserole. It sounds like perfect comfort food.
#3 of 5 Old 11-08-2004, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaMia
If it's not too much trouble I'd love to see the recipe for the Chicken and stuffing casserole. It sounds like perfect comfort food.
This is in no way a good for you but it is simple and I think it is a perfect comfort food when the weather turns colder. I don't have a "technical" recipe (got the idea off the back of a stuffing box) for this one so bear with me...

I use 2 or 3 skinless boneless chicken breast that have been cut in half width wise
package of preparred stuffing made according to their directions (I like Peppredge (SP?) Farms)
can of cream of mushroom soup
approx 1c of sour cream

Place Chicken in a single layer on the botom of a cosserole dish, I use a 11*15 glass baking dish. Combine soup and sour cream (you can use milk if you want, it'll make a thinner "gravy" so reduce the amount of milk to 3/4c or less). Spead it over the chicken evenly. Add the preparred stuffing over top. Bake at 350 for 35min or until the chicken is cooked through. If the stuffing starts to get too dark cover the casserole losely with foil.

Hope this helps you out with the what to make for dinner drama.
#4 of 5 Old 11-08-2004, 11:57 AM

You gals cook awesome stuff!! I'm ashamed to say that we eat out A LOT (several times a week) and my preschooler is in a phase where she'll only eat chicken nuggests, pb&j or pasta But I'm trying to get us started eating healther, now that I can actually stomach going to the grocery store without throwing up. Last night it was a ham and cheese skillet with potatoes, ham, cheddar, scrambled eggs and salt and pepper. We are VERY plain eaters around here. My 4yo actually took a few bites of it so I was thrilled :LOL

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#5 of 5 Old 11-08-2004, 07:32 PM

Thank you for the recipe, Desdamona. Sounds good! Will have to give it a try as it's a chilly 64 here in Los Angeles and there has been rain. Really, that's winter here.

Kaylee, the skillet is a good idea. I forget how much DD digs breakfast food and it's so yummy.

Have hit 11 weeks and can finally eat a few things. Hope your tummies are doing better too.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page