had to share... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-07-2004, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dan was talking to a med school friend of his on the phone last night. She's a pediatrician. He told her about my pregnancy and she told him that if he ever needed free pediatric advice, to call her...and that if we wanted, she could mail us tons of coupons for formula!!! He told her that I (exclusively) breastfed Griffin and that he was sure I would breastfeed the new baby, too, so thanks but no thanks. (This was pretty laid-back for him, usually he's slightly more activist about this when talking to friends). Her response, "well, Jess is awesome."

Nice to know that I'm thought of as a "well, of course she breastfeeds, she's awesome" type of woman, although isn't it a bit sad that a woman must be awesome in order to breastfeed, according to some people's standards? It made me sad that she would think nothing of offering formula coupons and expect that most parents would want them. When I grew up, breastfeeding was not considered a choice or an extreme action or something that it took a really strong woman to do. It was just how you fed your baby. It still surprises me when people assume that I want formula, or they ask me if I "plan" to breastfeed. Huh?? What else would I plan to do?

OK, stepping down off of small soapbox. I wonder how many more times during this pregnancy people will ask stuff like this?

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#2 of 4 Old 11-08-2004, 11:36 PM

You know those formula packs that everyone gets upon leaving the hospital? I found the ice packs inside really useful for sitting on after the birth... really felt good on the healing perineum. The rest of the package stayed at the hospital

I'm right behind you! DD nursed for 2 years and I KNOW she's going to want milky again when babe #2 is born -- I went through involution with her at 21 months and milk supply didn't return no matter what I did. She still tries to suck now and then!
#3 of 4 Old 11-09-2004, 12:04 AM

I have been wanting to share this story. This is the perfect thread to do so.
Yesterday at my son's baseball games, the 2 moms were talking about how hard it is to breastfeed. I think they knew I am pg, but not really sure if they remembered. One was saying that with her first she tried but gave up after a week, because "You know, the first 5 days are the most important!" The other about how everyone made her feel guilty for not BF, and how dare they!
So of course I chimed in, "Did either of you get any help when you had problems?" Nope. Nada. Not worth it when the free formula was sitting there. Thank goodness, they said, because it is so expensive!
I went on to mention what I do, LLLL & CLE that that, fortunately now there is tons of help. They jokingly said, well I guess you will be BF. I informed them there is no other choice for me. Even before I had my first baby, I knew I would BF. I never considered anything else. They were shocked, literaly. I explained that it was all I knew, thanks to my Mom, Grandma & Sisters. I also explained that it was not an easy haul for me either, but I was determined and very stubborn.
Their sons are the same age as mine, while there was help 7-8 years ago in our area, there are many more resources now. How the area hospitals are now really working on duration rates as well as intiation rates. I mention the link to obesity, asthma allergies. Well the one mom that tried, really listened and asked questions. The one who said everyone made her feel guilty, did not say much other than her son had severe reflux & started rice cereal with in the first 4 weeks, to keep it all down. (OMG!)
I said these things as a way of informing, not judgementl. I said we all do things with the info that we have, and that is all we can do.
We did leave the conversation on a freindly note, but inside so many things were going on in my head, that I probably should not say.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#4 of 4 Old 11-09-2004, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page