Advice? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-07-2004, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will try to keep it short.

2.5 years ago with DD I ended up with a 4th degree tear which I had to go to the hospital to get re-repaired. M/W says that to give the scar tissue time to strech with this baby she wants me to try (if all is well with baby) to breath the baby out, no pushing. She also wants me to deliver on my Left side which will put less pressure on my eariler tear. If anyone has and suggestions or info on this please let me know.

Thank you
#2 of 4 Old 11-08-2004, 10:59 AM

I don't have any advice for you, but you might want to post this in the main pg forum- there's got to be someone who can help you out. I hope all goes well for you this time. I can't imagine healing after a tear that traumatic.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#3 of 4 Old 11-08-2004, 03:05 PM

Yes, I have heard of this technique. It really does prevent tearing. I am not sure of all the techniques used. I think that coping skills need to be in practice way before delivery to get max benifit from them. Fighting that urge can be hard, but with practice I am sure it can be better.
Good luck to you.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#4 of 4 Old 11-08-2004, 06:31 PM

I've heard of "breathing the baby out" as well. The force of your uterus as it contracts really can birth a baby on it's own. What a wonder our bodies are!!

I had a pretty nasty epis. with a tear extending to the side and down with the birth of my 1st. Not quite a 4th degree tear but pretty gnarly.

With birthing Gabriel the last time I was pretty freaked when he started to crown. It was all together a new experience... DS #1 had been born with a vaccum and DS #2 was a c/sect. I swore i was going to tear any which way -to the front, back and sides. BUT my MW was good about using hot compresses (which felt SOOOO good) and a little olive oil to help lube everything up. Gabriel, weighing 10+lbs with a nuchal arm, came out without incidence. I tore a *little*. Required 5 stitches total and was feeling like resuming (a-hem) marital relations with DH within 2 weeks!! Which was soooo weird for us since after DS#1 birth it took over 4 months for me to even think about sex and then another 2 months before I could even handle (TMI sorry) full penetration because of the damage to my perineum.

I'm going to try for a water birth which I have heard helps naturally support the perineum (Michele Odent, I believe said that) and be a lot more calm with the pushing phase.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page