Help or just some sympathy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-18-2004, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My head is going to explode, perhaps even implode! My sinuses are so bad, the presure is awful. It hurts to even look at the computer to write this message. When I am not pregnant, my sinuses do this, but then I can take meds to help. Now I am leary of them.
I have tried cold packs, hot packs not to much relief. Hot tea. Next I will try eucalyptus with steam. I even broke down & took benadryl last night. Not sure it helped, but I did sleep, sort of. I started nettle yesterday, but that is not seeming to help, if anything I feel worse since starting it. Perhaps I am alergic to nettle????
Any ideas for relief? I have so much to do today, but I can hardly keep my eyes open, for the light just kills me. The pain is all in the front of my face from nose up to forhead.
Thanks for letting me vent ladies. Boy I wish this would go away!!! Give me a drill, LOL!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 11-18-2004, 02:23 PM

Aw, sorry you are feeling so bad! Sinus pain is miserable.

I haven't had this trouble in a while, but when I do, the only thing that seems to clear it for a while is hot showers or some other way of breathing in steam.

Have you ever seen those little pots in the store? I want to say it is called a neti pot. Never tried one myself, but might be worth it when you can't take any drugs.
#3 of 8 Old 11-18-2004, 02:35 PM

Vaporizers in a Bottle or those vaporizers by Sudafed (I think that's who makes them) that you plug into the wall work well.

Be careful with the Benadryl...my little pregnancy planner says it may be responsible for cleft palate and other birth defects, but research is inconclusive...
#4 of 8 Old 11-18-2004, 02:47 PM

Oh, sweetie, I am so sorry. I don't have any advice for, you, but I am here to listen to you complain as much as you want, because frankly, you deserve it! Hang in there and I really hope you find some relief soon!
#5 of 8 Old 11-18-2004, 02:53 PM

I am sooo sorry and I can sooo relate! I am allergic to everything airborne, and have fought with my sinuses all my life. The only time I felt good was when I was on shots, and can't do that now while preg or nursing.

Here are a few things I have tired that seem to help minimize the symptoms:

1. Get a Neti Pot! They work really well at cleaning out your sinuses, but the do take a bit of getting used to, and you have to use it every day. See if you can find someone to show you how to use it.

2. Keep taking the nettle, it takes a while to work. Also up your Vit C to at least 1000mg but not more than 3000mg (any more will effect the babies ability to absorb it in the future). I swear this is what helped me get through pollen season without wanting to commit harry carry!

3. Drink lots of water (if you aren't already LOL). And check the humidity level in your home. If it is dry get a humidifier or vaporizor, especially for the bedroom. The drier it gets the more painful the sinuses.

4. you can use essential oils in a difuser or put the oil right in the vaporizer. I suggest Rosemary, Lavender, Mandrin Orange (or Red Mandrine), Eucalyptis, and Peppermint. The Rosemary, Lavender, Eucaliptys, and Peppermint help open up the sinus, and the Mandrine (along with Lavendar) helps with sleep. If you have a good place to get oils with a knowledgable staff you can ask them for recommendations as well.

5. When it gets really bad turn on the shower full hot and go sit in the bathroom with a good book.

6. Oh one more I though of that worked when I had a bad sinus infection. Bring a pot of water to a boil and dump in a bunch of peppermint leaves. Stick your face in the steam and breate it in!

I hope this works!
#6 of 8 Old 11-18-2004, 07:54 PM

My husband and I both have had great success with what they call "nasal douching", similar to the idea of the neti pots two PP mentioned. The idea is to rinse out your nasal passages/sinuses with warm saline water either by "sniffing" it or spraying it. I never could get myself to do the sniffing thing (what you do with neti pots)...it is too anti-intuitive for me. We bought a kit that is a large bottle (kind of like the peri bottles they give you after birth to squirt your privates). It is weird...no lie....but totally helps clear up sinus conjestion and infections. Look online for instructions on how to make the saline mixute just right, etc.

Ellen
#3 edd 5/3/05
#7 of 8 Old 11-19-2004, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thank You so much for your sympathy & remedies. Yesterday my sinuses back off once I was up. I think lying down was not good for them. Today, I am having draniage & a little pressure. I will use the eucalyptus oil today and loads of water. I should go and get one of those neti pots. Where do I get them? Health food store? Is it like those vapo cups they advertise?
Thanks again, I am much better.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#8 of 8 Old 11-19-2004, 04:04 PM

A neti pot looks like a little squat shallow tea pot with a long spout. You don't "sniff" the water in so much as pour it through your sinuses.

Neti Pot

HTH!
Nichol

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page