What did you pay for a Doula? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-18-2004, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Specifically I'm wondering about a Doula that helped during labor and delivery but I'm also curious about what you paid a post partum Doula. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I may be paying. Thanks!
#2 of 8 Old 11-18-2004, 05:46 PM

I'm a May '04 Mommy who just likes talking pregnancy. I interviewed many doulas and the range was about $750 to $1000. I, unfortunately, decided it wasn't worth the $'s (I regret that decision) and ended up hiring a doula-in-training for free. She was good, but I could easily see how someone with more experience would have been better - for all of us (me, dh, and doula-in-training). I'm in the Boston area - I've heard the cost varies and that this was on the high end, but I think it would have been worth it.
#3 of 8 Old 11-18-2004, 08:46 PM
nym

One of my bestest friends is in training, so she will be my doula
#4 of 8 Old 11-19-2004, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

nym- lucky you!

jraoch - Thanks I do really want someone who has been doing it for a bit. Although DH was very loving and kind he was not the birth coach I would have liked to have with dd.

Anyone else?
#5 of 8 Old 11-19-2004, 12:45 AM

We are in NoCal and paid $850 for a labor doula. She was quite experienced - attended over 350 births. The cost included 3 prenatal sessions in which we covered whatever I wanted. During the final prenatal visit, she did a belly cast for me (also included in her fee). She was at the hospital with us for almost 24 hours - through most of my active labor and my entire c-section (unplanned, of course ) and for about 3 hours afterwards. Then she came to the hospital for a pp visit and to our house for another pp visit when DD was about a week old. At this visit, she brought us a big container of gumbo.

I'm not sure where you are in CA, but if you are in the bay area, I'd gladly give you her contact info. She was so great!
#6 of 8 Old 11-19-2004, 04:25 AM

I was in Austin, TX with both of my previous births and had the same doula for both. The first time around she was a relpacement for the original doula I had hired whose husband got transfered about a month before I was due. All said and done I paid a total of about $400 between the two.
By the time I was preg with #2 my doula was now my best friend and would not let me pay her! She is such a sweetie and I am fervantly praying she can be here for this birth or at least in the days immediately following.
The going rate in CenTx was $300-750 depending on experience and your income. A lot of doula's there did work on a sliding scale depending on your fianances.
A good place to find out what is the going rates in your area is the doula group on yahoo.groups. Just go to the search feature in the groups area and type in doula.
#7 of 8 Old 11-19-2004, 12:24 PM

When I was working as a doula, I never charged more than $300. (I did not got into it for the $$, where many did in my area) I do not think I ever collected that much either!!!!
I think that a Doula in training can be a way to go. It just depends.
Aaudreysmom - What are of so ca are you? I too am in that area, perhaps I can help you find someone. You can PM me if you want. Take Care.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#8 of 8 Old 11-23-2004, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaudreysmom
Specifically I'm wondering about a Doula that helped during labor and delivery but I'm also curious about what you paid a post partum Doula. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I may be paying. Thanks!
The doula attending our home birth will be charging 200. She's still in training, though.

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page