Weekly Thread: 11/29-12/5 - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 12-02-2004, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, had a mw appointment today and I have actually only gained 5 pounds so far--only 3 pounds since my first mw visit. I also weighed myself on my home scale today and it is consistent with that. Sounds like I should just toss my home scale anyway.

I have been having such weird dreams--lots about an ex-boyfriend (not really erotic dreams, though, he's just in them) and all kinds of people from my past I had all but forgotten about. Strange situations, too. Even if I could interpret them, I'm not sure I'd want to! :LOL

I need help to keep from buying more newborn diapers! I don't need many and I want to spread out my purchases through May but they are soooo cute!

I saw a newborn at the mw office today and couldn't wait to hold my own new baby! There is nothing like it.
#32 of 49 Old 12-02-2004, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

When I was preg with dd I kept having dreams about nursing my cat! :

So far no baby dreams this time around. I was so caught up in my preg with dd; I thought about it and felt it and was so into it ALL THE TIME! This time, I'm just not there. I actually forget sometimes that I'm preg. I'm sure that will change after we finally have our MW appointment (this Friday) and baby starts moving around some.

Keep the dream stories coming! I love that stuff!
#33 of 49 Old 12-03-2004, 11:38 AM

hi mamas!

I'm finally finished travelling for a while. Earlier this month I went to Europe and this past weekend I went to Washington DC (both for work). No more trips for at least a year - yea! I've travelled eight times for work in the last 15 months. Whew. Of course, I caught a slight cold on the first trip and still haven't quite kicked it - mostly my sinus drainage is worse. But, I did get all of my x-mas shopping done (except for one more gift for my parents) at Filene's Basement in DC. There was one just around the corner from our hotel and they are having tax-free days so there's no sales tax. Of course, everyone will just have to like their gifts because they can't be exchanged (I live in the midwest). But, I think I got nice things that will be appreciated. It feels good to have that done and not to have spent too much money.

We went and cut a x-mas tree on Wednesday. Took my mom and daughter along. It was fun - dd looked like a little pink Michelin Man in her snowsuit and boots. We got a 12 foot tree -- we have a vaulted ceiling in the living room. Two years ago when we got a tree that big, I was 7.5 months pregnant and it was a bit tricky to decorate the top. This year should be easier.

I'm 17 weeks today. Have my third prenatal appt today. I've gained at least 10 pounds. I am an eating machine. Things are tapering off a little now that the nausea has subsided but for the first 15-16 weeks, it was eat or puke so I ate. I tend to gain pretty steadily throughout pregnancy. Last time I gained 40 pounds but a lot of that was water at the end. Two weeks post-partum I had 18 pounds of fat to lose.

I think I've felt this baby move but I can't be sure. I've been so busy that I haven't been paying attention like I did with dd. I was feeling dd so consistently at this point that I'm a little unnerved this time. Looking forward to hearing the heartbeat today.

I saw a genetic counselor before my u/s at 12 weeks. We were screening for genetic abnormalities so we discussed the probabilities of different things and what the u/s could and couldn't show. She was very nice. I think most people who become genetic counselors do so because they actually like working with and talking to people and have training in how to do it well. Unlike some doctors who get no guidance on bedside manner.

I haven't bought anything for this baby but plan to buy a sling later this spring. There's a new store in town that sells them and does a workshop on different kinds and how to use them. If this baby is a boy, I'll need some clothes but I do have a lot of neutral or boy things that dd has worn.

Speaking of dreams, I've actually had several dreams where I'm downhill skiing. It would be great except that I keep finding myself at the top of a run that's too difficult for me and I get all panicky. I love skiing and wish my dreams were just fun instead of scary. No baby dreams yet - unless the skiing is foreshadowing the rollercoaster I'm in for with a newborn and a toddler. :LOL
#34 of 49 Old 12-03-2004, 12:52 PM

I had my first baby dream last night. I was in a parking lot talking to two women about what it was like with the new baby and Aleks. Evidently the baby was already born though neither child was with me and she was a girl named Emma. I wasn't breastfeeding yet and when I told them, I felt suddenly like I had better get working on that or I wouldn't be able to nurse this child either. I was telling them how hard it was and how though things were going okay, I felt like a wreck. I think it was more about how I feel these days. I was exhausted and emotional. I wonder how long this will really last then if I can expect it after the baby gets here as well.

In my first pregnancy I dreamt about nursing my cats all the time too, but they were sort of scary because they had all those sharp little teeth.

I never did answer my own question about what I've bought for the new baby. I've bought 4 new diaper covers (will need more) and have told a WAHM friend that I need her to make me a sling in a petite size. I will need to go through what clothes I have because I will definitely need more of those, but I want to be able to buy pink and won't be finding out the sex, so that's a tricky one. Can I just wait until after the baby is born? Can't say that I'd necessarily feel like shopping then, however.

I started prenatal yoga last night and chiropractic on Monday. The yoga felt so good that I think I want to get a video and do it more often. It was so good to stretch out my back. All the women in my class are majorly pregnant, but another MDC mama has agreed to go with me from now on so I will have a friend and won't just be surrounded by rich women with perfect lives (I didn't say that). What I meant was women who won't be there for very much longer. :

Anyhow... how's everyone handling this pg emotionally?

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#35 of 49 Old 12-03-2004, 01:20 PM

Can you buy the prenantal yoga video anywhere? I am not sure prenantal yoga is offered in my town and if it were I know I can't afford to go very often, if at all. I really would love to try it though. I am sorry your emotions are going crazy. Hopefully, things will level out for you soon.

Emotionally, I have handled things pretty well except when I watch "BirthStories" or "Birthday" for some reason I always cry. Even if I just watch the part of the baby being born. I don't know why this is. It really isn't anything new. I always felt like I was going to cry watching before being pg now it's not just a thought. I have had a couple of really psycho days where I was really out there. As long as someone doesn't say the wrong thing, then I do pretty well.

No dreams to recall last night.
Oh who got an ultrasound yesterday? Wende was that you? What did you find out? Or am I early is it next Thurs? I get mine on Tues. I am excited and nervous. I hope everything is normal. We are still waiting for the results of the AFP and the longer it takes the more anxious I am becoming.
#36 of 49 Old 12-03-2004, 01:24 PM

Tish - you can get a prenatal video online at least. Not sure in TN where you'd get one unless there's a Wild Oats or some such place nearby. Do a google search for your town & prenatal yoga and see what you come up with. That's how I found the places that offer it here. One place which is very nearby only offers prenatal yoga at 11:45 on Sundays, which there is no way I would ever make it to. The other place is 30 mins away, but closer than Wild Oats and is on Thursday nights, which works much better for me.
edited because my dang link didn't work: This DVD at Amazon seems pretty popular and would be the one I think I would get.

Are you over 35 btw? Is there a reason you're doing the AFP? Just curious.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#37 of 49 Old 12-03-2004, 01:29 PM

I have been pretty busy and tired this week, so I haven't checked in here yet. I haven't even read all the replies either - just looked briefly over them.

So far I feel nothing and it is strange to me. I have no dreams, feel no movement, not buying anything for the baby yet (I don't even have a clue yet what to buy) etc. It is interesting to look at my belly, but that is about it. Am I just really not connected with myself???

As for events happening - we have strated to interview hb midwives and so far I am not excited at all. there are only a few in our state and none of them is really close to where we live. 2 have rejected me right over the phone because of the distance. one had expressed a lot of reservations, but had agreed to meet with us on Monday, so we will see. I have another interview for tomorrow, but she is not certified (just trained througgh apprenticeship) and I don't know if dh is gonna like it. also, the situation with non-CNM midwives is extremely tricky in our state and that is a reason for my concern. hb is very important to me, but I feel like I have very few choices and am afraid that I will just have to take the best I out of them rather then truly being able to choose somebody I will really love. I am also afraid of just plainly not making the right choice with the mw.

Then I started having fears about are life when the baby is born - can we handle it? what will it be like? and stuff like that.

edited to add: I see you guys are talking about prenatal yoga here. I checked a tape out of a local library last weekend, but only got to do it once. not good. I have never done yoga before, though, and I am not sure what to think of the tape I got (it was crunch yoga mama). in a way I feel like yoga doesn't suit my character very well. something more lively could work better for me. did anybody try Leisa Hart's prenatal workout videos? what are they like? they have good reviews on amazon and I am considering buying it.

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#38 of 49 Old 12-03-2004, 01:42 PM

I have a prenatal yoga tape. We got it at Motherhood Maternity store. I actually didn't care for it too much - I prefer just stretching I guess though...and not the whole spiritual aspect of it (I'm not trying to offend anyone by that comment btw...)

But try Motherhood. Someone bought it for me, so I'm not sure how much it cost. I'm sure you can go to half.com and do a search..they'll probably have something out there...never know! (I love half.com btw...lots of stuff people don't want that I do...for cheap!)
#39 of 49 Old 12-03-2004, 01:53 PM

I had my u/s yesterday. The pictures can be seen at www.kaiden.aboutmybaby.com in the belly photo's area. It's going to be a boy. Everyone seems very excited about it and for some reason I was sad. I didn't even realize that I wanted a girl. I think part of it is because Dh insists on naming the baby Max, after his dad, and while I really like the name, it isn't one that I'd ever considered for my own kid and dh won't budge. According to him, that's the baby's name and is telling everyone. I even cried yesterday! I've never had that reaction to finding out the sex of the baby! And now, because it's a boy, I get to go through the whole circ'ing arguement again. I mentioned that to dh yesterday and he said "oh, he'll be circumsized." GRR, NO he won't.

Anyway, I am excited to be having another boy. After my first boy I really, really wanted another and it will be good that the 2 youngest kids will be the same sex, especially since they are so close in age. I just need to get over the whole name issue.

We had the u/s done at one of those 3-D places because I didn't want an u/s in the first place but dh really wanted to know the sex so that was cheaper than having a full u/s done and we don't have insurance right now. Of course, now, I feel like I should go have a "real" u/s done because the u/s tech didn't tell us anything other than "yep, that's a boy alright". I'm being silly, aren't I? lol
#40 of 49 Old 12-03-2004, 01:56 PM
nym

Ahh, we have been having a good morning. DH took the day off work because he broke his toe, and with what happened to DS last night (got finer in door, had to go to ER, lots of crying by all)
I made a tester batch of waffles that I am planning on making for Xmas morning, they were really good, we had oranges and papaya and sausages with them. Soo good. I love these sausages, we get them locally, no preservatives or filler. Yum

Emotionally I am doing good. My normal bitchy self. I don't really think about this baby too much. too busy with my big baby!

But, last night Kai was on my tummy blowing bubbles and the baby was kicking back. too cool!
#41 of 49 Old 12-03-2004, 01:57 PM

Nope, not over 35. Under 30, I am 28. It was not my idea for the test. Dh was the one who was very adamant about me having it. He just wants to know that everything is ok.
I am sure there is prenantal yoga in Nashville but that is about a 30 min or more drive and I have to do it 2x a week as it (work) and I try not to go there any more than that.... I really am sick of the drive. I do pass by Wild Oats on my way to work. I'll stop in tomorrow.
#42 of 49 Old 12-03-2004, 02:31 PM

Hello Ladies! Alot of posting yesterday, I am so glad! We all have been so busy or abscent for whatever reasons!!!
So many of you have had U/S already! Since I am due late May, I feel behind.
Velvet005 - Good luck with the AFP. Just remember that is it highly inaccurate, many women have false positives!
Nym - Sorry about DH toe, and DS fingers, OUCH!
valeria_vi- I can relate to not feeling much, 0 movement, lack of dreams, etc. I have only had 2 dreams very early on, nothing since. Keep treking on the MW search. Something will come up.
All those mamas that dream of nursng their cats, OUCH!!!!! Perhaps a kitten, but not a cat! J/K. Could not imagine nursing the beagle!! (Fyi, a woman in CA recently was being investigated for nursing her dog. They were checking to see if she was nursing the baby too. Felt the dog would be jealous of the baby, that is why she nursed it. That is a bit much for this LLL leader.)

MomAnita4Jesus - sewing a sling is not hard. If you can sew a straight basic stitch on the machine you can make a sling. I used an elizabeth lee pattern. I used to make them for gifts all the time. Just make sure the rings you use are NOT craft rings. They need to be welded rings or nylon rings used to with stand wieght. I used 2 inch rings used for rock climbing & such. Actually I got them at the hard ware store. I am not familar with the non sew sling, but I wonder if it resembles a didymos? Personally, I like Taylor Made slings. (I hope that is ok to post here.) I hope to get a couple of those for this baby. I might just make on too, for the novelty of it.

gingerlane - thanks for info on flex bennifits. So far seems to be covered with out directly saying so. I will keep researching, our form is due this tuesday!

My lousy cold is still lingering. Woke up with a mad headache at 3 am. Since I am now 15 weeks, I broke down & took sudafed.(Bad I know!, but was miserable. I waited an hour in bed befor I decided to do it, it hurt so bad.) It helped but not all the way. I still have that lingering headache. When will this end!!!! I will pound tea, water & oranges today, and lay low & try to sleep!

Have a great day Ladies! I am so glad I found you all!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#43 of 49 Old 12-03-2004, 03:16 PM

Cristina - Tyler slings..do they have a website? I'll do a search myself right now..but let me know! I wanna see what you're talking about. I know the slings are suppose to be easy. I thnk I just have to try. The last time I was behind a sewing machine was 7th grade home ec. But if I like this sling making stuff...DH might need to get me a nice B-Day present!
#44 of 49 Old 12-03-2004, 05:19 PM

Just a quick hello not a lot of time to chat.

We are leaving today to drive from Portland to Lompoc Ca! My husband has training in the bay area on Monday and we are staying with him there, but before that we are going to see my gran who is in an intensive care stroke unit in Oxnard CA.

Please send peaceful healing thoughts her way. If you light candles for people a soft blue healing one would be appropriate as well as black to help absorb negativity. If you believe in prayer those are more than welcome. Her name is Nancy, she is only 70 and has suffered a number of strokes and brain hemorrages since June and is doing really bad. She is not in her right mind due to all of the trauma. They are having to use seriously strong drugs to sedate her so she doesn't hurt herself or the medical staff. I am scared I am going to lose one of the most important people in my life. I love her so much and seeing her is very important to me although I know it will be very hard and emotionally exhausting.

As for my health, everything is fine. I have a "raging yeast infection" according to my MW and it will go away with treatment. I also have to cut down on my sugar/white starch intake! Yeah right! LOL

I hope all are well and will try to catch up on my reading while in the hotel this week.

Blessings,
Nichol
#45 of 49 Old 12-03-2004, 07:16 PM

Nichol- I will light a candle and send peaceful thoughts for your grandmother.

I finally spoke with the nurse. Everything from the AFP test was fine. Dh says he feels happier than he did when he graduated college. I feel better too now that we finally got results. The nurse said they just hadn't called because she was sick earlier this week and it got pushed back (basically they forgot to let me know!!!).
Feeling more and more movement. Today I could feel it from the outside. I feel the most movement about 10-15 mins after I eat. Especially after lunch.

Wende- Good luck with naming the baby. Dh and I cannot settle on a boy's name. I do not like any of the names he picks and he doesn't like any of the names I pick. So we're stuck. That makes 2 boys for May so far. Congradulatons. I think we may be having a boy too. We'll find out next week!!

Christina- Hope your cold gets better really soon. I had one of those headaches a couple of weeks ago and I took Tylenol which didn't even put a dent in it : My head pounded for 5 days straight. I hope yours is much much better today.
#46 of 49 Old 12-06-2004, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomAnita4Jesus

Question on slings - I've been researching sewing my own baby sling - just seems more cost effective really...and I don't know, I'm just kind of wanting to do it I guess. I found some really cute material at Walmart I want to buy as soon as I know what I'm having. Anyway, after reading about 3 websites "easy instructions" I realized...I don't know the first thing about sewing....the lingo is like Japaneze to me...well, maybe not that bad. : Anyway (here comes my question) one site had instructions for a "sew free" sling. Anyone try this? Like it, dislike it? I'm guessing everyone prefers the sewed ones..but thought I'd ask anyway.
You might want to check Elizabeth Lee for sling instructions. She tries to make these patterns easy enough for a non-sewer. I sew, so I don't know how easy they are, but they seem pretty simple. The style is similar to Nojo or Over the shoulder baby holder with padded rails that go through rings
#47 of 49 Old 12-06-2004, 06:07 PM

MomAnita4Jesus--there is a slingsewing group on yahoo that is a great group of women. There are lots of links to patterns on there and helpful people who can help you decide which one to make. I am not on it anymore but was a while back. I am not a big sewer either, and found the easiest basic ring sling to sew is the kind on slingmemommy.com. She has instructions also. I think sewing a padded sling is more complicated. The slingmemommy is basically one seam, and then hemming if you choose to.

Someone asked about pregnancy videos. I have the prenatal yoga one (from last pregnancy) that anna linked to, and really like it. Leisa Hart's Fitmama is not so great, IMO. It was okay the first couple times, but is way too boring and repetitive for something to do a few times a week.

I am 18 weeks now and was feeling movement at least once a day. The past couple days, I haven't felt anything and it's hard not to get worried. Last time, I wasn't expecting to feel much by this point, so it was probably about the same, but I don't remember. I am starting to have the sacroiliac back pain the past couple of weeks on and off. Same thing I had last pregnancy. I am spending oodles at the chiropractor to go weekly, and I don't even know if it is helping that much. I am going to take a few weeks off around the holidays and see if it is any different or not. I was just really hoping that chiropractic would help me not only with back pain, but to help the baby get into the best position at the end. It is so important to me to do the best I can to have a VBAC. Maybe I am just asking too much of the chiropractic.
#48 of 49 Old 12-06-2004, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

We do chiro twice a week and it helps tremendously! BUT, we have this really awesome chiro with family plans that are affordable and who doesn't care if you pop in for a third appointment if needed. He'll even see you on the weekend if needed... at no extra charge.

Saturday I slipped on wet stairs and hurt myself quite spectacularly. I have the most beautiful bruise across my bum (all the colors of the rainbow!), a mild case of whiplash and about 100 pulled muscles. Baby is fine, which is one of the advantages to having big ol' pregnancy butt. My chiro helped a lot today and I'll be going in often this week to get myself back to something approximating comfort. Lucky for me my back was already pretty healthy, otherwise I woulda been toast.

Baby is starting to show, but only if you're looking. We keep failing to take a photo for the bellies page. We only got one good one during dd's whole pregnancy, so if we take just one more we're ahead of the game! Wha-who!

Off to get ready for the company holiday party. I don't have any dressy shoes for dd so she'll have to wear her muddy boots with a dress! :LOL
#49 of 49 Old 12-06-2004, 10:04 PM

MamaFae, I wanted to add--saying a prayer for your grandmother. That is very hard.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page