i hate my maternity jeans - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 12-05-2004, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone else out there hate their maternity jeans/pants? I have two pairs of those demi panel (they kind with the wide elastic around the top) and I HATE them so much!!! They slide down constantly no matter what trimester I am in (they're too big right now which i am sure isn't helping but with the last one they slid down, too). What design geniuses though up this one? Did they have the models wear the jeans for like 10 mins. sitting down?

Has anyone found a way to modify/live with this style of jeans? I don't really want to take them in because I don't like anything binding my abdomal area but this pants sliding down thing is driving me insane. Can't really afford new clothes right now either. Thanks for any ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 12-05-2004, 01:45 PM

The only maternity jeans I ever wore were from Cherokee, I think I got them from JC Penney catalog. (ok, this was 15+ years ago, but I still have them, wore them 6 years ago too, still look new, I am saving them, in case...)

I liked overalls and jumpers best, although I wore some crunchy drawstring type pants too.

Do you have anyway of posting a picture? Or finding a picture online with what they look like?

Is there any way of putting in a drawstring? Or putting snaps or buttons on the sides. I am really more visual, sorry. I could maybe help more specifically if I saw a picture.

~Wanda
#3 of 17 Old 12-05-2004, 02:33 PM

I just got a pair like those you described. I don't really care for them either. They are always falling down!!! They look cute, but not great for function.
I also got what I will call granny jeans, they have the full panel in the front. They are way more comfortable, but do not look as cute. Not sure this helps, but understand what you are saying.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#4 of 17 Old 12-05-2004, 03:45 PM

i haven't gotten any maternity pants yet, because the affordable ones are so icky looking, and i can't afford the $70 cool looking ones. so far i'm getting by with track pants/yoga pants/etc, because they all have an elastic waist. i'm not sure what i'll do when i finally outgrow them.
#5 of 17 Old 12-05-2004, 03:54 PM
nym

I have a pair of those too, and I hate them because the wide elastic around the top always folds in half, or down, and exposes my tummy. It is annoying. I don't wear them anymore.
#6 of 17 Old 12-05-2004, 03:56 PM

Show me a picture, I will try to help, :LOL

Sounds like an epidemic~

Really, I am good for ideas about altering, I am very adventurous about it.
#7 of 17 Old 12-05-2004, 04:06 PM

Simply Nurtured- these are like the ones I have. They do not stay on the hips
& slide down all the time. I agree the elastic sometimes folds over.

http://www.imaternity.com/Product.as...rCategory_Id=4

I hope that link works. Let me know.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#8 of 17 Old 12-05-2004, 05:20 PM

The only maternity jeans i like are the JC Pennys brand Duo in the under belly style. I am very short waisted and all other jeans either ride up all the way to my bra or they fall down where the crotch is down to my knees.
#9 of 17 Old 12-05-2004, 09:23 PM

Hi
If you can spare a little $$$, I would reccomand getting some thai fishermen pants (8$ at www.thaidai.com). They are not the sexiest pants, and are kind of hippie-ish, but with the right top they look great, but most important is that they are extremely comfortable, they grow and shrink with you, and machine-washable. I also really like wrap-around pants (you can find some on www.thaiconcept.com for 25$, or browse the web for cheaper prices). They are much more flattering, and grow and shrink with you. The only thing is that they are a bit annoying when you have to go pee every 20-30 minutes. But I would still reccomand them because they are comfortable and make you look good! If you like to sew, you could easily get a pair and use it for pattern, and even use denim. I hope this can help you with your pants problem! Delphine
#10 of 17 Old 12-06-2004, 05:17 PM

I kwym, I have a pair of those with the panel from my first pregnancy. I am too small for them still. I think I could only fit into those last time at about 7 months.

I have only one pair of jeans I am wearing now, the Gap ones with no panel. Hopefully they will last me until the other pair will work.
#11 of 17 Old 12-06-2004, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the link! Now I see what you mean.

Right now what comes to mind first is folding that thick piece of elastic down, sewing a seam, then running a drawstring. The jeans I have cover the whole belly, I really liked them, snaps on the sides. I will try to think of some other suggestions too.
#12 of 17 Old 12-07-2004, 04:04 AM

I hate those maternity pants with the thick elastic too. I just got a pair from Motherhood and they're really comfortable. They are called their All-around belly jeans: http://www.motherhood.com/collection...d=4&Pageison=1 And I like that I can still wear many non-maternity shirts with them since the belly part doesn't go as low as regular maternity pants with the full belly.
#13 of 17 Old 12-07-2004, 01:07 PM

Or if you rmust keep them, maybe you could make it where you have drawstrings on each side, instead of one you tie in the middle. It would be more comfortable that way. You would just thread two drawstrings and leave the ends hanging out on both sides, and tie.

They do not make the ones I have anymore, I guess, they were denim with a pretty indigo corderoy trim. With side snaps.

But this is the closest I see now, it was a similar style, these are not as pretty.

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/Product...=&ShopBy=13458

Those "all round belly" ones look good.
#14 of 17 Old 12-08-2004, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for all the great suggestions. I finally got out of my post-Halloween, anti-sewing slump (because I was sewing like a mainiac to finish the kid's costumes). Gonna get ready to get creative and use my brain to make these pants more liveable Thanks again everyone. I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks for the link to the Motherhood website. Those pants look like they might be a bit more comfortable and I think I can spare $30 for a couple. Overalls seem really appealing to me, too, since Everything is kind of uncomfortable on me right now... Thanks again.
#15 of 17 Old 12-08-2004, 06:08 PM

I had pretty good luck with Old Navy maternity jeans (well all their clothes...) they are cheap and decent quality.
http://www.oldnavy.com/asp/dept_inde...d=80310&MODE=B
Another solution I tried with my jeans was to loop a rubber band around my regular jeans button closure. That allowed for some expansion and they still looked ok if my shirt was long enough...although you can only get away with that in the beginning...
#16 of 17 Old 12-10-2004, 06:03 AM

I am really tall and it's hard for me to find normal pants! I'm dreading maternity pants. My favorite pants in the whole world just ripped. That leaves me with only one pair of pants that I fit into now besides my stretchy pants for lounging at home... This is my first pg, where does a 6'1'' girl go to find LONG maternity pants?????

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#17 of 17 Old 12-10-2004, 12:15 PM

(May '04 Mommy) I liked my Gap jeans. I don't know what they are offering this year, but last year they seemed to always have "order $100 and get free shipping" offers. I ordered two big boxes of clothes - both over $100 for the free shipping. I went to their sale page and was able to get some good deals on jeans - and they carry petite sizes, so they probably also carry long sizes. I ordered a bunch of sizes of the same pair of jeans. They got delivered for free. Then I returned everything that didn't fit or I didn't want to the local Gap store. It was quite easy. There wasn't a time limit on the return either - I ended up returning one shirt, a tank-top that I ended up not needing, two months after dd was born and I had ordered all of my clothing at this time last year!

User Tag List