Ammonia Exposure - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Thread Tools
#1 of 6 Old 12-09-2004, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
Velvet005's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: here and there and in between
Posts: 2,449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today, I was exposed to ammonia for about 30 mins or less. I had to make blueprints of my drawings for class. The blueprint machine uses amonia and it is pretty strong. Someone else did the blueprinting for me so I wan't right next to the machine but the oder was so strong I could smell it in the next room. I am worried that this is harmful to Peanut. I have been really good about not exposing myself to too many chemicals but today it was unavoidable. I haven't really read or heard anything about it but the smell alone tells you its bad.

I just wanted to know if any of you thought I have been harmful to Peanut.
Velvet005 is offline  
#2 of 6 Old 12-10-2004, 01:47 PM
Aaudreysmom's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know about this, maybe you should do a search for amonia and see what comes up. If you are still concerned I would also ask your M/W.
Aaudreysmom is offline  
#3 of 6 Old 12-10-2004, 05:29 PM
slightly crunchy's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,363
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I wouldn't be happy about it and would try to avoid it in the future, but it's done and personally I wouldn't worry about it. I think we all are exposed to odors like that more than we know. Most cleaning supplies have ammonia, so everywhere you go it is in the air.

Ammonia is one of the few things that makes me have an almost asthmatic reaction. I start coughing horribly and can hardly breathe. So I know how gross it is. At the place I used to work, if I had to go in early in the morning it was always in the air as they had just cleaned the floors.

Are you going to have to be around it again? I am assuming you had to be in the room to kind of direct the person who was doing the blueprints? If not, I'd just say, I'm sorry, but I'll need to leave the room and get some air for a minute; I'm pregnant and that odor really bothers me." Or something like that.
slightly crunchy is offline  
#4 of 6 Old 12-10-2004, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
Velvet005's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: here and there and in between
Posts: 2,449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went into another room but I could still smell it. The windows were open too. I just hope everything wil be ok. I will talk to my dr about it on Tues. I know it's done now. I tried to look up some stuff on the internet but the search result in a study on rats
Velvet005 is offline  
#5 of 6 Old 12-10-2004, 07:11 PM
hubris's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: VA
Posts: 5,329
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Goodness, if ammonia exposure is a problem, I'm in trouble. My toddler's pee is toxic.

But seriously, I just googled ammonia and pregnancy and from what I can tell, if you had been exposed to enough ammonia to cause problems, you would have felt the effects (burning lungs, eyes, nose, etc). I'm sure it's not a great idea to be exposed to it on a regular basis, though. Exposure to very high levels during pregnancy is suspected to cause problems, but if you weren't experiencing any physical symptoms (aside from detecting odor), the concentration was actually fairly low.

So you're probably good. Check with your care provider if you suspect any problems, though!

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
hubris is offline  
#6 of 6 Old 12-11-2004, 12:15 AM
KayleeZoo's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 5,531
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If there's one thing I've learned from my last 2 pregnancies, it's that a fetus is a hardy little bugger I was exposed to a dangerous virus w/dd #1, and she was fine. With dd #2, it was a drug that we use to euthanize (kill) animals- sprayed in my mouth, nose, eyes, etc. And she was fine. The placenta does a good job of filtering most chemicals, but just to make yourself feel better, I'd ask your OB/MW about it. You're obviously not going to re-expose yourself if you can help it, so a one time exposure with ventilation (even though you could still smell it) is probably fine. It's stressful to wonder though, I know.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

KayleeZoo is offline  

Quick Reply
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off