weight gain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-19-2004, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi momma's trying to get this board moving a bit :LOL
I'm 20 weeks and have put on 8 pounds, I'm pretty happy but already overweight so none would have been better :LOL
how much have you put on?

Amanda, wife to Ed mama to Logan, Phoenix, Indigo and snuggle bunny EZRA RAIN has arrived
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2004, 01:14 AM

Last visit was about 4 lbs but that was 4 weeks ago..so I'll tell ya for real on Tuesday!
Old 12-19-2004, 02:06 AM

so far i have lost 12 pounds. i was happy on thurs when i had my app because i had only lost one last month.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:26 AM

i have lost close to 20lbs so far. At my last visit though i hadn't lost any since the one before. Ilost all of that before then. I figure at my next visit i will have gained.
Old 12-19-2004, 03:13 AM
C99

I've gained about 10 lbs. I'm happy with this. I'm now at my pre-pregnancy weight from the first time.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:19 AM

I have gained 7 or 8. That is ok, but unusual when compared to my prev pregnancies. With those I lost about 20 in the beginning & never got back up to start weight.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
Old 12-19-2004, 01:39 PM

I'm 21w and have gained about 12 lbs. I was underweight to start, so I'm happy with that.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Old 12-19-2004, 04:37 PM

I am 19 weeks & have gained 6 lbs. so far. With my first 2 pg I gained a total of 75 & 80 pounds. I am hoping to gain less this time, esp. b/c I hadn't lost all my weight from ds2 when I got pg this time.

AmiBeth

Old 12-19-2004, 05:09 PM
C99

Brandi,

This is totally OT, but it's so funny to read your sig. I have another online friend and her 2 girls are also Kaylee and Lexi -- same spellings! In her case, Lexi is short for Alexia, I think. And your daughter and my son have the same birthdate.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:05 PM

At my mw appointment this past Tuesday I was 16w4d and I have gained 4lbs since the beginning of the pregnancy. I lost no weight to begin with and gained nothing until about 12 weeks, so it was bizare to put on 4lbs of weight in just 4 weeks. yikes!!! I am on normal (not underweightm not overweight) weight and I just hope not to gain too much. That average number of 25-35 sounds good enough to me. I gotta start excersising to try to keep the weight gain under control.

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
Old 12-20-2004, 01:41 AM

I am 19 weeks. I'm overweight. I gained 3 lbs and then lost 5. At my last midwife appointment I hadn't changed at all. Hoping for more loss, but won't be upset with a gain.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
Old 12-20-2004, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren
I am 19 weeks. I'm overweight. I gained 3 lbs and then lost 5. At my last midwife appointment I hadn't changed at all. Hoping for more loss, but won't be upset with a gain.
please forgive me if I might sound rude, but may I ask how can one loose weight during pregnancy if one doesn't have any morning sickness? or do you still have it?

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
Old 12-20-2004, 12:32 PM

I am 17 weeks and I have gained 4 lbs. I am very happy with that gain, as I am very overweight and my past pregnancies resulten in 40-50 lb weight gains.

An overweight woman can safely "lose" during pregnancy, but it should be done with exercise while still eating a high-cal healthy diet.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeria_vi
please forgive me if I might sound rude, but may I ask how can one loose weight during pregnancy if one doesn't have any morning sickness? or do you still have it?

Honestly I don't know. I don't have morning sickness, never have, and this is my 6th pregnancy. Plus, I think I eat a lot and it's not always the real healthy stuff. But my midwife isn't worried. With ds I lost 16 lbs (no morning sickness) before I gained 11 back. I don't really know how it happens, but ds was healthy and this baby's vitals are good.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
Old 12-20-2004, 08:07 PM

I'm at 20wks and have gained 8lbs total. Last month was the bad one, I gained 4lbs at once, but I blame Thanksgiving! I never lost the last 8 lbs from my first pregnancy but Dr told me to still gain 25-30 and by this point last time I think I'd already gained like 15 so even though I feel huge I guess I'm doing ok!

Is anyone still dealing with nausea? My had eased for a while but has been back almost everyday for the last week and a half. Ugh
Old 12-20-2004, 10:32 PM

At my m/w appt today I was 161 which means I've gained 21 lbs so far. WOW that's a lot for me.

I am a million times better with the nausea but still vomit in the am. When will it end?
Old 12-21-2004, 08:34 PM

I am 18 weeks and have gained 2 pounds, I wish it was more but at least my uterus is the size it is expected to be, one of the midwives was a little surprised about my low weight gain, but how much are you "supposed" to put on in a month?
Old 12-22-2004, 07:42 PM

I am just about 18 weeks and I have gained 6 pounds. My MW told me to expect a gain of 50-60 pounds since I am soooooo tall. Yikes that sounds scary. I'm 6'1'' and my average pre preggo weight ranges in the 170's, which is pretty average for someone of my height and athleticism. I've always been terrified of the 200 mark and that would put me well over it. I just have to keep in mind that it's not all fat...

Jenn

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
Old 12-22-2004, 07:51 PM

my pre-pregnancy weight was 105lbs. I am 5 feet 1, and have very thin bones and a small frame, so I didn't even really look thin - just average. For me, gaining even 40lbs will be almost a half of my pre-pregnancy body weight - that sounds scary! but aside from trying to eat the best I can there's nothing I can do. I am having a hard time accepting it, but what choice have I got, kwim?

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
Old 12-23-2004, 12:29 AM

Quote:

For me it is becuase pregnancy changes my body significantly enough that although the baby grows and gains nicely, I lose weight. Therefore I stay almost exactly weight the same throughout the entire pregnancy. (this is my third pregnancy)
I am sure this has something to do with me already being a bit overweight.
My OB's are never worried about it. Some women are like this, and I actually enjoy my body while I am pregnant...partly because of this.
I have a hard time appreciating my body when I am not pregnant

With my DD the day after I gave birth I weighed 15 lbs less than when I got pregnant. Then I got postpartum thyroiditis and gained 20 lbs in 3 weeks! YIKES! (she was 4 lbs 9 oz at 32 weeks)

With DS I was 5 lbs less than prepregnancy. (he was 6 lbs 3 oz full term)

With this prenancy so far I have stayed exactly the same and I expect to do so until the last month when I might gain 5 to 10 lbs.

Every body is different and their bodies react differently to pregnancy.
Personally I don't think my body could handle it if I gained 40 lbs. That would put me up above 200 and I am 5'3"

Does that help?
Old 12-23-2004, 01:09 AM

Thanks everybody who answered my question about loosing weight while pg. I was just wondering if there's any scientific explanation as to why it happens to some people. Interesting how you all describe how your body reacts. Thanks again!

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
Old 12-23-2004, 03:59 AM

Quote:
I was just wondering if there's any scientific explanation as to why it happens to some people.
Scientific explanation??? Gonna have to ask my doc for that one
As long as I am eating healthy they don't bother me.
*I* am sure that it is due to the extra weight that I already carry and the change in my body chemistry when I am pregnant.

I have a SIL who thinks that what she experienced in pregnancy and birth is and should be the exact same as what every one else experiences... it is soooo frustrating!!!! LOL But then almost everything about her is.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslmere
As long as I am eating healthy they don't bother me.
And that's nice! I have heard that some docs go crazy on the subject of weight gain. To me, it's not the weight gain, but the nutrition that really matters. As long as you know you're eating well, you know your baby gets what it needs to grow healthy and strong!

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
Old 12-27-2004, 01:18 PM

I totally agree that what you eat is far more important than how much you gain. It drives me nuts when i hear of doc's that make a big deal out of staying in the 25 to 35 bracket. A woman told me the other day that she's gotta cut down on her calories so her doc won't yell at her. She looks great -all belly so far at 5 months. I can't believe that her doc would yell at her. I am suprised that so many of you lose weight in pg. I've never heard of that. It is interesting. As for the average 25-35 lb gain - I don't know anyone IRL that gained that little. Everyone i know has been closer to the 50 mark. Obviously some people do but i wonder if it's really an average. I gained 50lbs with my first and in the three months before conceiving again only lost about 20lbs. With this bug, i started around 150 and i think at the last visit i was up to 163 at 18 weeks. I really don't want to gain another 50lbs but i'm not gonna deprive my body of food (even some not so good food) in order to stay thinner. I hope that excersize will help but mostly i'm praying that after the baby is born, i'll be able to lose the weight (hopefully from both pg. and actually fit into my jeans again.)

User Tag List