So, how's your hygeine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-28-2004, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering how you all are doing on your personal upkeeping. Are you shaving your legs, dying your hair, even brushing/washing your hair, using nail polish, keeping your ever growing nails trimmed, keeping your bikini area trimmed, etc etc etc. I just find its much harder to keep a neat body when I'm preggo,especially when I can't even see my bikini area. Good thing we'll all be un-preggo by swimsuit season, huh!???
#2 of 19 Old 12-28-2004, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace_lily_mama
I just find its much harder to keep a neat body when I'm preggo,especially when I can't even see my bikini area. Good thing we'll all be un-preggo by swimsuit season, huh!???
:LOL Maybe you will be mamma!!! I'm only ten weeks and here down under it is swim suit season

Worst thing is - I don't look obviously pregnant yet so I could easily be glossed over as 'fat' so I'm too self concious for swimsuits

I will brazillian wax untill I can't see it anymore ... when I will have to suffer the horroe of paying some beutician to do it. I will not let it go, I will not give up campaigning against unwanted body hair but yeah - I have let my colored hair grow out a little. Ah well!

I still make an effort to put make up on before we go out and my hygeine is above and beyond excellent - we wipe our asses, change our undies daily, wear clean clothes and wash our hands at all the appropriate times. We brush our teeth and shower daily.

I may slack off on self grooming from time to time (shock horror I haven't bothered with nail polish for months!) but I always look good EVEN first thing in the morning and am always neat and clean. Well, until my 2.5 year old ds attacks me with messy hands!!!
#3 of 19 Old 12-28-2004, 01:48 PM

This is so funny! I never really thought about it. I used to shave my legs daily, now mabe 2ce a week, when it gets really bad. Pits too!!! I did color my hair about a month ago. It just looked so bad! No manicures or pedicures here. As for bikini wax, last time was right before my 1st ob exam. Not since! I do still wear make up daily but may not necessarily do my hair, usually just a pony tail or clip.
Thanks for the laugh.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#4 of 19 Old 12-28-2004, 02:18 PM

starlite, you do your own brazilian wax???

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#5 of 19 Old 12-28-2004, 02:21 PM

I don't think I've showered since I was pregnant with my 18 month old!

Actually, I still haven't gotten back into the shaving and making myself pretty since he was born. I just don't have the time. Showers have to be quick, he goes everywhere with me and I just wouldn't take him to a nail salon, too much to get into. I did dye my hair recently, but only after he was in bed. I've never been much for make-up, but even when I do want to wear it, it's a hassle because he wants to touch everything. I figure it will be another 3 years or so before I'm human again, lol.
#6 of 19 Old 12-28-2004, 02:42 PM

General hygeine: same as ever, showering, shampooing, brushing teeth every day, applying lotion when dry, brushing hair.

Hair: I'm a really boring hair girl, can't be bothered with blow drying and styling most of the time, so I'm still doing my same air-dry and maybe clipping it up or putting it in a ponytail.

Makeup: again, life as a SAHM just doesn't require makeup, I usually skip it. I might put some on once a week or less.

Shaving: well, I'm a slacker even when I'm not pg, plus our new house has a stall-type shower and it's hard to shave in there. I think I've been going 1-2 weeks between pit swipes and 3-4 weeks between leg shaving. On Christmas Eve I did a total hair removal sweep and luxury shower - used a salt scrub, then shaved (including trimming things up down there), did a really thorough lotioning job, tweezed my eyebrows for the first time in ages. I felt really great, I need to make a point of giving myself a home "spa" treatment once a week!

Nails: I'm a nail-biter : so no trimming or polishing here. I go through phases with this, maybe I'll quit again soon?

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#7 of 19 Old 12-28-2004, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeria_vi
starlite, you do your own brazilian wax???
Yep! Takes practice but worth it I rekon. I do a great job, too.
#8 of 19 Old 12-28-2004, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite
Yep! Takes practice but worth it I rekon. I do a great job, too.
any tips you can share?
I can only trim by myself. that's it.

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#9 of 19 Old 12-29-2004, 10:21 PM

I do the same as always--wash body and hair, shave (a little bit less in the winter, but still keep it up). It doesn't take much extra time, and I feel so much better when I get up, dressed and ready for the day every day.

I choose not to color my hair in pregnancy though, due to the chemicals. And quite painting my nails just before ttc. There are some nasty chemicals in nail polish that may be harmful to a fetus (actually confirmed by a mainstream parenting magazine I read the other day).
#10 of 19 Old 12-30-2004, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funshine
On Christmas Eve I did a total hair removal sweep and luxury shower - used a salt scrub, then shaved (including trimming things up down there), did a really thorough lotioning job, tweezed my eyebrows for the first time in ages. I felt really great, I need to make a point of giving myself a home "spa" treatment once a week!
Oh man, doesn't it feel good. I used to be such a slacker about EVERYTHING, even taking showers, and ever since I started selling Avon, I've been required to look nice. Before, like you said, there was no requirement for a SAHM. But man oh man, its like another world out there when you're even just a little done up, even if I don't have much to do! It just makes me happy and confident to see pretty nails, and to have soft skin and smell good - at the least!

I agree, you need make it a point (to be known to all, especially husbands) that you need that me time! OR ELSE!
#11 of 19 Old 12-31-2004, 04:01 AM

What hygiene? I hardly wash my face and brush my teeth anymore before bed - I just pass out. Tried giving up shaving my legs, but it got ucky and I went back to my every other day (whenever I shower) routine. Pits I could never let go of. Eyebrows have become a little more likely to be fuzzy than usual and of course I hardly ever wear makeup any more. All in all, I'm pretty lazy.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#12 of 19 Old 12-31-2004, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annakiss
What hygiene? I hardly wash my face and brush my teeth anymore before bed - I just pass out. Tried giving up shaving my legs, but it got ucky and I went back to my every other day (whenever I shower) routine. Pits I could never let go of. Eyebrows have become a little more likely to be fuzzy than usual and of course I hardly ever wear makeup any more. All in all, I'm pretty lazy.
I could have written this myself, Anna!! I have a nice gray stripe of hair growing over my right temple which I can't be bothered to color. Nails are trimmed but no polish or manicures/pedicures here. I am starting to be challenged with keeping up with shaving my bikini area. The belly is making it difficult to get proper access/sight of what I am doing. And DH hasn't helped me out with that since I had a broken wrist and couldn't get my right arm wet... This was 6 years ago, ladies! lol I shower once every other day, it's winter so I'm not getting that dirty/sweaty. Wash my face, brush my teeth, brush my hair every AM and PM. Given up wear contacts because they hurt my eyes.

DH got me a spa day package (facial, mani & pedi, 1hr massage, cut, color and style) for the holidays but I doubt I will use it before the baby is born. The good thing is that I can break the treatments up into smaller bits and use them at me leisure... When ever i get a moment of leisure with 3 kids and one on the way!! lol
#13 of 19 Old 12-31-2004, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightly crunchy
I choose not to color my hair in pregnancy though, due to the chemicals. And quite painting my nails just before ttc. There are some nasty chemicals in nail polish that may be harmful to a fetus (actually confirmed by a mainstream parenting magazine I read the other day).
Do you think you could tell me a bit more about this? Or an article? This is like the second time I have heard this in a week or so... I'm getting nervous, since I've been pregnant I crave painting my nails : I want to look pretty :LOL

As far as everything else... I NEVER brush my hair... no I'm not feral :LOL I just don't and I don't think you can tell
But I do shower with a little 2 year old usualy watching :LOL

Amanda, wife to Ed mama to Logan, Phoenix, Indigo and snuggle bunny EZRA RAIN has arrived
#14 of 19 Old 01-01-2005, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annakiss
Oh, gimme a break annakiss!

I've seen the photo's in your signature and you are a natural beauty that needs no make up and you would probably look great if you were on a desert island with no mirrors or shaver's round for miles!!!!

... people like you make me jealous :LOL as I slave away over here trying to make myself look semi human.
#15 of 19 Old 01-02-2005, 12:46 AM

I rarely shaved my legs before I was pg :LOL If I am going to wear a skirt I usually shave, but otehrwise my husband doesn't care & I'd rather spend that 5 minutes reading a book. I am admittedly paranoid about hair dyes, nail polish, etc since Colby has unexplained health issues (and I'm lazy when it comes to upkeep of hair color) so I don't dye my hair (even before I was pg) or paint my nails. I wash my hair every three days, but I DO brush it every day (it's really long). Don't get me wrong, I don't look like a slob or anything, I just don't bother with makeup, etc. unless it's a special occassion.

AmiBeth

#16 of 19 Old 01-02-2005, 02:01 AM

I'm such a slacker in this department. I shave when it get's unbearable (except the pits... always do those); I never wear makeup unless I'm going somewhere special; my toes actually have paint on 'em right now, but it's the first time in over a year and it's already peeling; I break out if I wash my face, so that's out; my eyebrows have never been plucked and I refuse to do so; and won't color my hair again until after the binken is born. I do what I do and don't really care about the rest. And I don't think I'm too hard on the eyes, even with my "lack of hygene." Thank goodness I have my mountain man!
#17 of 19 Old 01-02-2005, 02:09 AM

http://www.greenworks.tv/askgreenworks/fingernail.htm

Here is a quote:
<<WebMD also recommends contacting a physician before using nail polish during pregnancy. This is probably because many brands of nail polish, including products by L'Oreal, Maybelline, Oil of Olay and CoverGirl, include a hormone disrupter known as dibutyl phthalate (or DBP). According to the Environmental Working Group, DBP has been found to cause birth defects in lab animals, particularly male offspring, including "testicular atrophy, reduced sperm count, and defects in the structure of the penis."

A study by researchers at the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reported that every single one of the 289 people they tested came up positive for having DBP in their bodies. Scientists speculate that this chemical, which stores in your body fat and can be passed through breast milk, is getting into people's bodies through common beauty aides. Women who are pregnant, nursing or who are considering having children in the future should carefully avoid all products that list phthalates in the ingredients.

Many nail polishes also contain a known carcinogen called formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is most commonly recognized for its use in embalming, but is also common in many household products. People working in nail saloons may have particular cause to be worried about this chemical because of their high rate of exposure to it. Luckily, some formaldehyde-free nail polishes can be found, if people know to look for them.>>

I can't even start to read about all the chemicals that are found in people's bodies these days, especially pregnant/nursing women and children. It is enough to make anyone paranoid. I just try to avoid the obvious things. Besides, being a SAHM with a two year old, I need short nails anyway, and I just don't see much point to painting them. But, that was never a huge thing for me. Going without highlighting my hair bugs me more, but I've gotten used to it.
#18 of 19 Old 01-02-2005, 05:46 PM

I shower every other day...during good weeks. I don't wear makeup..never have. My hair is really short so all i do is comb it out when i wash it and don't even look at it again till i wash it again....it stays behind a headband thingy. I shave...do i shave?....DH doesn't think so but i think i remember doing it a couple months ago. My pits i shave everytime i shower. "Down there" is usually kept shaven BUT....i can't do it now due to getting bigger and my hips and back hurting too much to stay in that position long. DH will do it for me when he is home but he has a bad nicking habit. I WISH i could get waxed....but i am too shy to go somewhere to have it done and i don't know how to do it myself nor do i know anyone who could do it. My nails are kept trimmed short and i don't wear polish.

To be honest...on most days i don't even bother to get dressed. LOL
#19 of 19 Old 01-02-2005, 07:42 PM

My habits haven't changed much since getting pregnant, but they sure did when I became a SAHM/WAHM. I shave my pits with every shower, legs...maybe once per week. I do brush & blowdry my hair and will put on makeup when I go out. I don't wear polish on my fingers or toes usually and don't dye my hair either. I trim down there but don't shave...never ever started so it's not out of control at all LOL. I'm pretty low maintenance hygiene-wise.

The "nail saloons" made me giggle in slightly crunchy's post though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page