Who's using cloth diapers? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 01-10-2005, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Eagle: I've never cd'd either but i'm pretty psyched about it. I found the weebees.com website to be absolutely fabulous. The woman who runs it has cd'd like 7 kids and has a lot of useful info on her site in addition to selling a good selection of products she has deemed the best. This may sound silly but I bought a copy of "Diaper Changes" from her website - it's a book all about cding with how tos and reviews of different products and companies. I think it was well worth the $15 or so that i paid for it and i'm sure it will only become more useful when i actually have a baby in dipes.

Cali: About the weebees "world's best diaper bag" I'm sorry that i don't have a pic but i can describe it. It looks at first glance like a cloth briefcase with a single over the shoulder strap and it comes in a few basic solid colors. Mine is black. On closer inspection it has 2 main compartments, one of which is expandable and both containing tons of pouches and pockets. It has the ability to be converted into a backpack style with 2 straps and comes with a changing pad and a little caddy type bag that's supposed to be a purse. I showed it to my SIL who is really sick of her crappy little diaper bag and she fell in love. She said it looks much better than the Land's End (L.L. Bean?) one that is cheaper and has also gotten great reviews. I haven't actually used the bag but it seems amazing. Sorry about not having a pic.

Quote:
ds grew out of most of the diapers that I had for him and I can't afford to buy more
It sounds like the washing machine is the bigger problem. Cloth is a bigger up front expense but over time, disposables will cost way more. Maybe you could find some cheap used or even free dipes.
#32 of 49 Old 01-11-2005, 10:56 PM

just bought 9 motherease One size dry's and 2 motherease covers in small

but before Owen is born i WILL have
12 infant prefolds
7 more sm covers....but snap up motherease instead (the velcro is attacking all my other fabric)
4 sandys small
15 more motherease
12 that i will sew myself.
2 sm soakers that my Granny is knitting at my request (i suck at knitting)

then we'll go from there i guess. i havent read what everyone else is buying or making yet...but now im gunna read the thread and maybe ill add afew
#33 of 49 Old 01-14-2005, 12:51 AM

We are first time parents-to-be. We are going to CD, we know that. From the looks of it, getting a service makes the most sense for us. It's not that expensive (according to a book we have, each of the 3 services in our area run ~ $16/wk for 80 NB dipes- well within our budget), and we don't have a washer/dryer in our building.

So, my question: How do services work? Do you buy whatever dipes you want and then they wash them, or do you essentially rent the dipes from them? We are both so clueless on this subject.
#34 of 49 Old 01-14-2005, 01:44 AM

KT, For a service, you basically rent diapers from them. They bring you the 80 diapers each week and you give them the dirties. That's it. I think you may need your own covers though. I'd call and ask. I've never used a service before.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#35 of 49 Old 01-14-2005, 02:01 AM

We will be cd'ing for the second time, but we didn't start with ds until he was 4 months.
Our stash for this little one:

25 Kind Hearted Woman small fitteds
3 small Baa Baa Bottoms wool covers

I still want to get a couple of Lana wool covers for the very beginning.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#36 of 49 Old 01-14-2005, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

The thing with a diaper service is they usually use bleach on their dipes & one of the main reasons we CD is to stay away from chemicals. With the daiper service where we live we would have had to buy our own covers & basically rent the diapers.

AmiBeth

#37 of 49 Old 01-15-2005, 10:02 PM

We're CDing, too!

From when Griff was a newborn, I think we have:
11 Kissaluvs size 0
6 ME Sandy's XS
2 ME XS Rikki wraps
2 XS Bumkins wraps

...but 17 dipes was barely enough to get through ONE day with Griff the super soaker, so I have bought a few more Kissaluvs. Just for fun I bought 2 small Lucy's Hope Chest fitteds and one AIO, they look like they'll fit a tiny baby, but I might have to wait a couple of weeks. I plan to buy a couple of preemie sized FuzziBunz, just to see if they'll work for us on a newborn. I had a few size smalls last time and it took Griff a while to grow in to them.

KT, a friend of mine uses a diaper service and LOVES it. She gets clean dipes delivered to her doorstep every week and just tosses the dirties in a pail, never has to worry about rinsing or washing. All of her dipes are prefolds and I think the service provides a few covers (which I believe they also launder).

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#38 of 49 Old 01-26-2005, 02:02 AM

as a first-time mom, i knew from the beginning that we would cd, but haven't bought anything yet. i've been knitting up wool soakers like crazy, though, because i'm a knitaholic!

so far, i'm planning on getting some cotton diapers and pins. the rest of it seems awfully uneccessary to me. is this insane?
#39 of 49 Old 01-26-2005, 11:57 AM

Not insane at all! I'm not sure I would say "unnecessary," though - just a matter of preference when it comes to fit, materials, and some people like diapers to be colorful and cute. Kindof like how some people are total athletic sock wearers, some like hiking socks, some like cotton prints, etc. They're all socks. There are some people who prefer fitted diapers (like me) and also lots of people who prefer prefolds like you. I liked fitteds and had better luck with keeping in newborn breastfed poop with them.

My only advice would be to make sure you get good quality prefolds. The ones sold in brick-and-mortar stores are frequently those Gerber ones. They may say Diaper Service Quality, but I found them to be thick/rough and not terribly absorbent. Fine for burp cloths, not great for diapers. Good Chinese prefolds are the way to go for diapering, IMHO.

Some people prefer a Snappi to pins, but there are also people who love their pins!

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
#40 of 49 Old 01-26-2005, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

I my FuzziBunz & Happy Heiny's. I just never fell in ove w/prefolds & pins/snappis, and my son's skin is so sensitive that fitteds leave his skin red no matter how often we change him, so the fleece pocket dipes work great for us. And he's beenin the same size size he was 3 months old.

AmiBeth

#41 of 49 Old 01-26-2005, 05:17 PM

sometimes i just wonder if i'm being unrealistic, since i'm a first-timer. i guess that i will prob stick with my original idea until i decide it isn't working- it seems to be cheapest, too, which is an issue here.

also, do you think it's cheaper to go with a diaper service ($16.50 a week) or have to do loads of laundry at the laundromat (around here, $1 to wash, $1 to dry)?
#42 of 49 Old 01-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Banned

I have been using cloth on DS since he was 6 weeks old and plan to start almost immediately on our daughter. I had all the supplies with my son when he was born, but a very rough post partum period left us feeling like we couldn't handle one more new thing! However, once we started cloth we realized it was very easy-much easier than constantly emptying the garbage and running out to the store for new diapers!

I have a huge stash, like 4 dozen, infant CPFS and a bunch of infant covers--bummis, proraps, alexis featherlights. I have about 3 dozen premium prefolds and a couple of medium covers, will have to get more.

DS 23 months is now in extra large fuzzibunz stuffed mostly with toddler prefolds. Hopefully they will last long enough for his sister to wear them! He has been wearing them for almost a year. I have about 19 of them and they were a wonderful investment. A few were purchased used, most I got in a package deal from the fuzzibunz store.

I would love to put DD in fuzzibunz, but DS outgrew his smaller ones so quickly they weren't worth the cost. I only had a few and sold them. So DD will be in CPFS until her growth stabilizes.
#43 of 49 Old 01-27-2005, 02:09 PM

mamamead, it still seems like it would be cheaper to wash them yourself. The cost of your prefolds and covers will be spread out over the lifetime of those dipes. I have heard of people using prefolds and spending $250 from birth to potty training. Even if you're doing three loads a week of diaper laundry, that's just $6. Prefolds are highly likely to dry in one dryer cycle, many fitteds will not.

For 52 weeks (one year):
Diaper service @ $16.50/week = $858

Assuming that you can do prefolds for $250 per child, for 2-3 years:
Potty trained at 2 years, dipes average $125/year
Laundry @ $6/week = $312
Total cost for one year: $437

Potty trained at 3 years, dipes average $84/year
Laundry @ $6/week = $312
Total cost for one year: $396

So I think financially, it's worth it to own your own dipes, even if you spend a little more on a few fitteds. It's up to you to decide whether or not there are other factors, like the convenience of having a diaper service. One friend of mine has used a service for over 2 years for her daughter, they only use prefolds, and she loves it.

#44 of 49 Old 01-27-2005, 05:11 PM

wow, what a great breakdown! thanks, jess! i guess i was just unsure about how many loads i was really going to have to do- and i guess that depends on how many prefolds i get up front, too. at least i *know* that it's cheaper than disposables

thanks again-
#45 of 49 Old 01-27-2005, 05:34 PM

I was just talking to my mom about the cost of cloth diapering and we were trying to figure out the annual cost. You just made it so much easier, thanks, Jess!!!

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#46 of 49 Old 01-29-2005, 03:34 PM

Glad to help.

Mind you, that's an annual cost based on the assumption that you will use just prefolds and inexpensive covers...if you peek at the diapering forum, it's pretty clear that there are tons of other options out there, and some of those options can get pretty pricey. It all depends on you deciding what you want to do and sticking with it.

But...I don't always take my own advice, and I have been sucked in by cute dipes and covers. I recently took a look at my diapering history and ran some numbers and decided that honestly, I still came out ahead of the cost of sposie use, even though I spent more than I should have on diapers. (I posted about it on the diapering forum, check my post history for one about saving money and being a hyena if you want to see it). Having a second child who will reuse many of Griff's diapers really helps for saving money. Goodness, the newborn/small dipes will probably still be in good shape for #3!

Some of the money issues will also depend on where you set priorities. For me, I liked the idea of saving money, but my primary goal was to be nicer to the environment. If you want the cheapest thing possible, prefolds washed at home is probably it. If the convenience of not washing is worth a little bit more to you, then a diapering service might be a worthwhile expense. If cuteness is important, you can justify splurging on a few pretty dipes. I think it helps to decide what your goals are in CDing and then use those to guide your decisions.

#47 of 49 Old 01-29-2005, 04:12 PM

mamamead - if you have to go to the laundry mat I would say go with the diaper service. But that is just because I hate the laundry mat. If you don't mind going though then it would probably be best to buy your own. Maybe go with the service for the first month or so though because you will be pretty busy with a new bebe. Just my opinion.

Overall I have spent way more on cloth than I ever wanted to spend. In total I have spent about $800 between dd and the new baby so far. I have not had any problems selling items that I don't like or use on the TP or Ebay, I figure I have only lost a dollar or 2 on each diaper that I have re-sold weither I used it or not. Compared to the $2500 it costs to use sposies I think I have saved a lot of money.
#48 of 49 Old 01-30-2005, 11:57 PM

i just took some pics of our nb/small stash yesterday for the cd board i'm on ....

nb stash 1
nb stash 2

it includes:
23 preemie ubcpf (unbleached chinese prefolds)
12 preemie ubipf (unbleached indian prefolds)
13 kissaluv size 0 fitteds
12 nb kissaluv contours
1 me&be nb fitted
5 nb bummis covers
6 nb proraps covers
1 nb country cuttins cover
~~~~~~~~~~
11 ubcpf's (not pictured, they're part of kayleigh "stash" too)
12 upipf's (not pictured, they're on their way here from chickabees - $20 shipped - YAY!)
4 small proraps covers
2 small mudpie covers (one with a txbb soaker)
1 more small mudpie whale cover (not pictured, on the way here)
1 small abbycadabra cover (not pictured, on it's way here)
2 small country cuttins covers
1 small cute booties cover
1 willow's wonders aio
1 dreamboat ai2
4 small mudpie aios
1 nessa's nappies cover
5 small fb's (not pictured, 3 on their way here)
small country cuttins fitted/cover set (not pictured, on it's way here)
1 small knickernappies pocket

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
#49 of 49 Old 01-30-2005, 11:58 PM

ack .. incase those 2 links don't work .. this should ..

http://community.webshots.com/album/238857201vOjUtT

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page