Who's using cloth diapers? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-05-2005, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I know a couple of other May mommies are using cloth for this baby. Reveal yourselves & tell us what you have so far & what you are planning to get.

I have:
3 Kissaluvs Size 0
4 NB Proraps
2 small FBs
2 small HHs

I am in the process of trading for:
4 Hemp Sugar Plum Baby small fitteds

Obviously I am going to need more, but I have a couple of things on the TP that I am currently working out trades for, so hopefully that will help.

AmiBeth

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2005, 04:13 PM

I will be

Im planning on getting about 8 kissaluv size 0 & 4 small Fuzzibunz ,& a bunch of the smallest prefolds

Im not sure about wraps yet..I need to look around for teeny wraps that arent bulky..
Old 01-05-2005, 04:27 PM

I plan to CD. I don't have any particular kind of dipes i plan to get. Right now i am just taking what i can get. We are too broke to be picky. I do know i plan to get some premie prefolds like i had with DS. Those things were the most handy diapers i had. I used them for stuffing, doublers and just diapers when he was tiny. I got my prefolds from GraniteSmith on eBay. I use the euro prefolds. I love love love them.

I am also trying to switch my DS to all cloth because of his rashes. I have a LOT of cloth to get.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:37 PM

We too will be using cloth diapers. I am getting them from my friends as their babies outgrow them. I know of 20 fuzzi bunz, some prefolds & wraps, but do not know the brands.

What detergent do you all use on your diapers?

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
Old 01-05-2005, 04:44 PM

I also plan on CD but I am actually lost and cofused in the sea of diapers thats out there. I'm worried about buying the wrong kind...soundds sort of crazy but there is so much out there and everyone likes something different. How big of a stash does one need for a newborn? As of now my plans are to get some of the one size pocket dipes I think Wonderoos. A few fleece covers to use with prefolds...tye dyed of course! But I hesitate to buy my first dipe and I don't know why. Should I just buy a few?
Old 01-05-2005, 04:50 PM
nym

I am. I have some dipes.. a bunch of prefolds, in preemie and infant. We are just doing prefolds and fleece covers. I like fleece over pul
Old 01-05-2005, 04:52 PM

Can't wait to cd.

Last year, I bought all the supplies i thought i'd need and never used them so i already have:

-2 dz newborn prefolds, chineese and european (1dz each)
-the same in small size
-2 weebees nylon snap covers
- a few old nylon covers passed down from mom
-2 biobottoms covers
-2 fuzzi bunz covers, no inserts
- disposable rice liners
- the weebees.com "world's best diaper bag"
-cloth wipes
-pins and snappi's

I probably won't be able to resist buying more for this one but i'm gonna try to hold back. My SIL will probably give me some hand me downs that her son will have outgrown by then.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:58 PM

I'm planning on CD'ing,too. I'm soooooo confused. I have no idea where to start. No one in my family CD'ed. Well, my mom did, 26 years ago so she's not any help. I'll be lurking on this thread to see what all of you are using!!

Jenn

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
Old 01-05-2005, 05:28 PM

I'm kind of torn. I CD'd my youngest for a while but then we moved and my washing machine only works (I think it's on some weird slant that I can't seem to fix) when it feels like it. Plus, ds grew out of most of the diapers that I had for him and I can't afford to buy more (yay for Christmas gift cards, have been able to buy sposies at Target with them). To make matters worse, all the diapers that I had for him are velcro and he takes them off quickly, but not the sposies for some reason. I've never CD'd a newborn so I'm not sure where to start. I go back and forth between yes and no. I guess we'll see when it's closer to time.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:32 PM

I'm just mostly going to use what I already have. CJoe isn't in cloth diapers because pullups have been WAY to convenient since he got a mind of his own and since I started selling Avon!
Old 01-05-2005, 07:00 PM

Doing cloth for the 3rd time here I've bought:

2 doz Kissaluvs size 0 fitteds
1 doz nb Nanipoos fitteds
18 Grow Me A Rainbow prefitteds- infant size
6 Lukes Drawers medium Cotton Kisses
1 Righteous Baby Fits Like A Mitten fitted
3 XS Firefly fitteds
12 nb doublers made by an MDC mama
6 XS Very Baby Very Basic AIOs

3 nb Bummis SIWWs
3 preemie Bumpy days
2 nb Nikkys
1 nb Niji
2 nb Diaperaps
2 nb Proraps
1 nb Litewrap
1 size 1 Celtic Wolf Creations cover
1 sm Kiwi Pie Rice Cashmere cover
1 nb/sm wool jersey Loveybums cover
1 nb stretch Stacinator

My dd is still in mediums, so I have most of everything I need, except more smalls for when the little pea outgrows the nb's. I have tiny babies and the nb stuff fits for a LONG time, so a nb stash will last awhile for me. CD'ing a nb bum is so much fun!

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Old 01-06-2005, 02:49 AM

That's quite the stash there Brandi!

I've got
3 dozen small chinese prefolds
2 small snappi fitteds
3 Babysoftwrap small PUL covers
2 Babysoftwrap inserts for conversion to AIOs
1 Babysoftwrap small fleece cover
2 small cot n wraps
4 small bummis (old from DS)
4 small prowraps (old from DS)
1 small fleece polarbabies cover
1 small Aristocrats wool cover

I just bought some more premium dyed prefolds yesterday too which will replace DS's falling apart ones but also serve the new baby. I already have 1 dozen. Now I will have two. I them.

Eaglevoice & iamama - what do you need to know? I started out with the cheapest package I could find from earthbaby.com with DS. If you're looking for something more involved, ask around on the diapering board and scour the sites. If you have time, you can do ebay and the trading post instead of buying all new. I have a bookmark folder just for dipes that I would just add to when I ran across a diapering site. Then I would look through them when I had the time. You have to have an idea of what you want to get out of it. Do you just want really cute dipes? Do you want easy to use dipes? For me, it has to be able to be cleaned by being thrown in the washer and then in the dryer, which is why I only have one wool cover, that I only ever used on DS once. Fleece does better if air-dried, but I don't care so much. My prowraps and bummis tend to leave marks on the babe's skin, which never bothered Aleks that I could tell, but which is also why I went with the babysoftwraps this time around because they have fleece lined elastic on the legs and the interior layer is also fleece, which is really soft on the skin. You don't have to use snappis or pins if you don't want to. We've discovered snappis recently and really like using them without a cover, which requires babe to run around with no pants. That's also why I am trying out the snappi fitteds this time (which is a diaper, not a cover, but it's shaped like a diaper and is specifically designed to work with the snappi - it's made out of terry cloth).

Do you two know the difference between fitteds, AIOs, different covers, prefolds, flats, etc? Ask anything, I'm sure folks will help!

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
Old 01-06-2005, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Hi! Do you have a pic of your diaper bag? I went to the site but they have no pics! Thanks!

AmiBeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleyp
Can't wait to cd.

Last year, I bought all the supplies i thought i'd need and never used them so i already have:

-2 dz newborn prefolds, chineese and european (1dz each)
-the same in small size
-2 weebees nylon snap covers
- a few old nylon covers passed down from mom
-2 biobottoms covers
-2 fuzzi bunz covers, no inserts
- disposable rice liners
- the weebees.com "world's best diaper bag"
-cloth wipes
-pins and snappi's

I probably won't be able to resist buying more for this one but i'm gonna try to hold back. My SIL will probably give me some hand me downs that her son will have outgrown by then.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:35 AM

For a Nb I would want a dozen XS Very Baby AIO's they are trim and lets face it the newborn usually has a lot of runny poo so these with the super soaker that comes with it are a godsend.I would use them at night and rotate with a wool aristocrat they will keep the baby dry up to 10 hours. XS prowraps VB of course my Dd is small in the waist and long in the body and has a small bum these VB's fit her snug I never have to worry about poo problems.I saw a really sweet XS VB AIO at http://www.mommyslittlesweetie.com I buy my custom AIO's from her she ships fast.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:34 PM

Yeah for cloth! I am so excited to put cloth on that little bum I can hardly wait! Although I have not CDed a NB yet I would be happy to help any mama on advice or diaper recomendations. Also if you need cloth make sure to include it on the baby shower list because I would like to buy another mama some cloth as a gift.

Here is what I have collected over the last year:

Newborn: 20 Infant prefolds
6 Cuddle Bunz mini bunz
5 WAHM fitteds
1 Mother Ease sandys
3 Kissaluvs 0
3 Poochies
2 Loveybums
Covers: CB fleece wrap (came with the minibunz)
1 Prowrap
2 wool soakers

Small: 1 Sugar Plumb Baby fitted
2 Sugarbum fitted
2 WAHM fitted
4 Under the nile fitted
2 Sugarpeas fitted
1 lis cloth fitted
2 WAHM pockets
2 Very Baby AIOs
Covers: Babyology soaker
Babyology longies
1 WAHM fleece cover
1 wool soaker
AJs wool cover
Sugar Peas wool cover with snap in
1 Aristocrats cover

I also have 4 snappis to go with the prefolds.

Thanks Darcy for the link- I do want to get some NB VB AIOs at some point.

iamama - Different mamas like different things and yes when I started CDing dd I bought things that I did not like or did not ever use. Luckily I could just re-sell these things on the Trading post or on e-bay and I usually got my money back. I did like wonderoos with my dd at 20-25lbs but I dont know how well the work with a NB. I think that most one size fits all diapers are a bit too big and bulky for a NB so you may want to use prefolds and fleece covers until the wonderoos fit.

Any mamas new to Cding can visit the CD board and get a lot of information and help. If anyone wants me to post photos of my NB and small diapers I would be happy to.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:16 AM

Audreysmom- I got the snappi fitteds for the new baby. A friend was raving about them, so when I saw them clearanced, I bought what they had left (which was only two). It'll be awhile yet before I know how they work!

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
Old 01-07-2005, 10:26 AM

Yea... Finally get to talk to someone about my stash... DH just nods his head but isn't EXCITED about it like I am. We are already CD-ing Gabriel, so his stash consists of 6 Biobottoms wool covers, 6 Fuzzi Bunz (2 new style, 4 old that are fleece inside and out) and 6 Wonderoo's. We use toddler/premium size CPF to stuff everything.

For the new baby we have, and I just put it all in a bin last night --

2 doz cloth fleece & flannel wipes, that I made from recycling old receiving blankets and one of DH's old pullovers

½ doz infant size CPF
10 contour dipes that I am going to convert to fitteds

4 WAHM NB/SM Batik print pocket dipes
1 SM Fuzzi Bunz
10 Wonderoo's

1 NB Wool Stacinator Cover
1 WAHM Wool Jersey Cover
1 Wool Poochie Cover, that is the most GORGEOUS plum color
1 SM Aristocrat

3 Prorap classic NB wraps
1 Nikky NB/S wrap (0-3m)
1 Dappi cover, I'm guessing SM
3 Bumpy Imse Visme Day NB Covers

1 (incredibly SOFT) HoneyBoy AOI

I am awaiting 4 more Bumpy's I got off of Ebay and that'll be it for covers/wraps. ( I have to draw the line somewhere!!) I have to get something to stuff the WAHM batik pockets with. That mom suggested preemie CPF's or just a plain wash cloth. I do have to buy some smaller CPF, may 1½ or 2 dozen. Thankfully I have a friend who sells CD's so if I find that I need to upgrade or add on, she can get me the stuff within a day.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:50 AM

I think that if you are expecting a newborn sized baby, 6-8lbs, the one size ANYTHING might be too big or too bulky... But with my last 2 being 9½ and 10lbs I am pretty confident that I can use the Wonderoo's right off the bat... Unless I am like 4 wks early and then I will have a newborn size baby, 6-8lbs! :LOL
Old 01-08-2005, 12:11 AM

My dd's butt never touched a disposable diaper -- I'm really proud of that and hoping that #2 is the same.

I will do diaper service for the first 3 months, then use all my own homemade diapers and covers. They're way more absorbant than commercially available ones, as well as cheap/free depending on what you use to make them. Covers made from polar fleece for bigger kids, breathable waterproof for babes.

www.diapersewing.com gives patterns, ideas and measurements.

jj
Old 01-08-2005, 12:40 AM

so far i have:

22 Preemie UBCPF's
12 Preemie Indian PF's
12 NB Kissaluv Contours
13 Size 0 Kissaluvs
4 NB Prowraps
5 NB Bummis
8 Dritz Pins
2 Small Fuzzi Buns
Small Knickernappies front snapping pocket
Small Mudpies*front aplix cover & GA bifold soaker

i just need a couple more cover, maybe a couple preemie covers .. and then on to smalls!

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
Old 01-08-2005, 03:35 PM

so far I have 4 kissaluvs size 0, some silk liners, one homemade wool wrap, some cloth wipes and a Disana wool wrap.

I plan on getting:
5 organic absorb-it-alls in infant size
12 organic grow with mes
more silk liners
1 bummis super whisper wrap (as a swim diaper)
6 hand dyed prefolds
more wipes
I plan to make more homemade wool wraps
and subscribe to a diaper service for prefolds since I don't have a washer or dryer and the laundromat at my apartment is expensive.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:05 AM

yeah I can join in too,
I have collected
7 xsmall sandies
6 kissaluvs 0
6 khw smalls
12 preemie prefolds
12 infant prefolds
8 tiny tots flannel ( that I didn't like last time )
2 fmbg small
1 newborn liz cloth

covers
3 velcro siww in small
1 pair of wool soaker shorts
2 small airflows

I guess I need to focus on covers now
I am makin a dozen small all in ones in all sorts of girly colors
crystal
Old 01-09-2005, 02:34 PM

We're planning to use cloth on #2 as well... DD#1's newborn time wasn't spent in cloth until she was a month old, and then we had a bunch of Kushies Ultras which have since bit the dust because they were purchased very used to begin with. I have a few fitteds and covers that will work for baby #2, though DH hates anything that requires a cover so we need to get some FB's and QD AIOs to be more user friendly in both small and medium size.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:25 PM

Cloth here too! I have kind of an eclectic stash so far (it's in my sig, for the baby it's toward the bottom). I'm going to be making some covers and am going to try my hand at the Very Baby AIO pattern too. I'm not big on prefolds but I do have a bunch of preemie and infant size ones with Bummis SWW.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:50 PM

dh and i have decided to take the plunge, and use cloth, although no one we know does/did, and they're all going to think we're nuts. lol.

so far, i've ordered or purchased on the tp (but not yet received,)
3 dozen infant prefolds
7 nb proraps
2 small fuzzi bunz
1 med fuzzi bunz
1 fleece liner
1 doubler thing for the fuzzi bunz

as soon as i get more $$, i'm going to start looking for some bigger wraps. i'm not a spectacular seamstress, but i'm hoping that once i see what some things look like in person, i'll be able to make my own.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:21 AM

To those of you who are confused about CDing - here's what I did (I EC'd my son from 2.5 months on, so I didn't need/use as many diapers as I had). I started out with 4 dozen chinese prefolds, a few snappi t-shaped diaper fasteners, and about half a dozen covers of varying types. I also had about half a dozen different all-in-ones.

Thing is, what I would MOST recommend is that you not buy any one particular brand or type of diaper until you've had some time with baby to determine what works out for both of you. You might have to do laundry a little more often for awhile, but it's worth it to find out those all-in-ones you thought would be so easy and great and worth the money you spent end up being harder to use than you thought, or the one thing your child absolutely hates on his rear end. Or that the chinese prefolds, of which you bought dozens, end up facilitating twin fountains of poop out of either side of the back of your little darling.

Also, be prepared to revise your opinion about once every three months or so...what worked before will change as your baby grows, as you get better at the diapering thing, and as you discover the things that you like, don't like, and prioritize when it comes to changing baby both in the home and outside of it.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:33 AM

I plan on CDing too.

So far I've purchased:
1 doz prefolds
4 covers ( 2 proraps, 1 bummis wrap & 1 stacinator so simple )
1 happy hempy pocket fitted
1 wahm made pocket

I plan on getting 6 kissaluvs, some snazzipants fitteds ( NZ made naps: www.snazzipants.co.nz ), fuzzibunz, wonderoos, bummis pull-on pants & hopefully some wool ( aristocrat & some longies ).

Oh and I might go ahead and try some very baby aios too .
Old 01-10-2005, 05:01 PM

Zacks mom - Is the Simons custom cloth cover fleece? Where do you get it? How do you like it?
Old 01-10-2005, 05:33 PM

I'm "half" cding DS right now...trying to get the hang of it. I've had two poopy diapers so far, and even though I have lived through it, I still can't figure out what I'm going to do w/a newborn who poops every half hour.

Other than that...I like it so far...he's so cute in them, and I felt SO GUILTY sending him to MIL's w/paper on his butt today. Its not so bad, but to go back and forth probably isn't a good thing. But MIL came over over the weekend and found our "cloth diaper stash" and DH explained to her what was going on. She thinks we're nuts, and not only that..that we are in a MAJOR minority. I said "I think you'd be surprised how many people CD right now." Not that its a WHOLE LOT, but theres a lot more than I expected! Her response was "Oh, I KNOW I wouldn't be surpised." saying she was right, and I am wrong....ARG. Me and MIL have been butting heads a lot lately...so I just shut up and I'm not going to force her to do that. I'm just sticking with the plan to stay home in May and not worry about her and her "ways" and more after that. I just hope all works out financially.

Anyway, so far I just have diapers for Elijah - I have 2 Fuzzi Bunz, and 4 Bum-Ware's - I personally like the Bum Wares the best so far, but intend on "shopping around" some more just in case. I think for Azalyah, I'm going to start off with prefolds and a few covers until she gets out of that "newborn" stage, then move to AIO's and fitteds probably.....that is unless I can figure out how to sew them myself, then maybe I'll just sew a stash of what I want regardless of size!
Old 01-10-2005, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaudreysmom
Zacks mom - Is the Simons custom cloth cover fleece? Where do you get it? How do you like it?
Yep, it's fleece and I like it. It's pretty trim for a fleece cover and is good for the daytime. I got it from their website: Simon's Custom Cloth She does great work and ships fast.

User Tag List