How are you getting your protein? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-07-2005, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I would start this so that maybe we could give each other ideas on how to get the recomended 100 grams per day. Here is what I do:

Eggs: 6 grams (at least 2 per day)
Oatmeal: 6 grams per packet (usually 2 per day)
Bacon: 3 grams (usually 2 per day)
Protein shake: 14 grams (1 per day)

Puts me at: 44. I need to look at the other foods I eat and see what I am getting.

Anyone else?
#2 of 15 Old 01-07-2005, 12:25 PM

My MW gave me this little handout with a list of protein rich food.

Each of following 15 grams --

2 large eggs
2 cups of milk (any type)
med. portion of meat - fish or poultry
2 oz cheese
4 oz cottage cheese
6 oz firm tofu
½c cooked soybeans
1c pinto or black beans
¾c lentils
¼c peanut butter

I find that adding a protien item (cottage cheese with breakfast, a couple of cubes of cheese with lunch, a handful of almonds in the afternoon) with each meal really helps me get to the 75 gram a day/min target easily. Whenever I find myself hungry, I aim to eat a protien food before carbs... I just had a snack of cinnamon walnut cream cheese on whole wheat toast, instead of the cornbread slathered with butter... which still sounds really good to me.
#3 of 15 Old 01-07-2005, 01:32 PM

Here's how I have been eating lateley protein wise, though I really haven't added it up:

Breakfast- 2 eggs (15g)
8 oz milk (8g?)

snack- yogurt or kefir (8g?)

Lunch- sandwich w/ PB, or turkey or tuna or egg salad (15g?)

snack- nuts and fruit or cheese and crackers (8g)
milk (8g)

dinner- 3-4 oz beef or chicken (20g?)

snack- cottage cheese or yogurt (8g?)

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#4 of 15 Old 01-07-2005, 01:48 PM

I eat eggs, nuts, beans, meat, cheese, oats hmmm can not think of much else, but breakfast & dinner probably have the most protien for me. Unless I go out to eat.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#5 of 15 Old 01-07-2005, 09:28 PM

My hypnobabies class stuff includes a full page of all different kinds of foods and the protein content. Part of my homework was to add it up every day for a week. That was a while ago and I need to do it again--thanks for the reminder!

I don't like eating meat all that much, but I eat a little. Not every day. Things that help me boost protein are eating sprouted grain bread and tortillas (has a more complete form of protein), 2 eggs every day, beans, nuts and seeds. I usually have a little bit of protein with every snack. So if it is a smoothie, I add ground nuts or seeds (don't even notice them in there!), or have a spoonful of nut butter to crackers or fruit. I have some frozen veggie burgers for a quick protein fix occasionally. Edamame are a yummy snack. Oh, and I throw a couple tablespoonfuls of lentils in with the morning oatmeal sometimes. Tempeh is really yummy; DH is not a big tofu fan but he likes tempeh. I add a dollop of yogurt to top off beans, soups, stews.

Is the recommendation really 100 gm a day, though? I am pretty sure I don't get that much every day. I was told to aim for 75-80 gm. And even that is hard on days when I don't want meat.
#6 of 15 Old 01-07-2005, 09:58 PM

75-100 grams is the target range... Depending on mom's overall health, mom's size and how many babies are in utero.
#7 of 15 Old 01-07-2005, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathToria
Lunch- sandwich w/ PB, or turkey or tuna or egg salad (15g?)
you should cut out the tuna...unfortunately canned tuna (well all tuna actually) is filled with mercury. bad, bad stuff for pregnant mommies. If you have to eat tuna occassionally, make sure it is "chunk light" and not albacore.
#8 of 15 Old 01-07-2005, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveTheWild
you should cut out the tuna...unfortunately canned tuna (well all tuna actually) is filled with mercury. bad, bad stuff for pregnant mommies. If you have to eat tuna occassionally, make sure it is "chunk light" and not albacore.
Thanks.. I am aware of teh mercury.. I probably have it once every 3 weeks or so, and it is the light kind. I HATE having to avoid fish b/c I think fish is a pretty healthy food with the fats and all... (darn mercury : )

Thanks for looking out for me

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#9 of 15 Old 01-08-2005, 07:09 PM

Meat, meat and more meat

I love meat- esp. beef. We eat lots of chicken and some pork, but I'm a steak fiend.

I do need to make sure I'm getting enough, though. My diet is a cross between a toddlers and a preschoolers (wonder why? ) and I'm afraid I'm only getting carbs most days. Sigh. I was so much more in tune with what I was eating when I was pg w/the other 2.

Thanks for the protein check! I'm going to try and branch out and eat more protein-rich foods that aren't steak

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#10 of 15 Old 01-10-2005, 08:11 PM

FYI coldcuts are also on the avoid list because they contain high levels of nitrates.

I too am not a big meat eater though i do have some chicken or fish (telapia is on the safe list) at least 4 or 5 days a week. I eat eggs everyday and lots of dairy and whole grains. The key is to combine non meat products to make a complete protein. It's not just about the number of grams but the completeness. From what i understand, you can combine foods from any two of the following groups to get a complete protein.

Dairy
Grain
Beans
Rice

My midwife also recommends 80-100 but she recommends not counting the grams since it's hard to get a totally accurate count and instead just asking yourself if you got 3 to 4 servings of protein and 4 servings of dairy on average over any given 3 day period.
#11 of 15 Old 01-12-2005, 05:25 AM

I'm a vegan and I don't even eat tofu/meat substitutes. I've been eating this way for almost 2 years now, so I was already used to making sure I get what I need. I use fitday.com to help keep track of my intake (it's free!).

What most people don't realize is that *every* food contains some amount of protein. They might not be protein heavy, but they have protein content. Example: 1 carrot has 1g protein. 1 banana has 1.5g, 1 cup shredded lettuce has 1g protein.

When I need the protein heavy foods, I use hemp seed (typically thrown into a banana smoothie)- one serving of the hemp has 11g protein, 14g fiber and 0 fat ;-) Of course I make up the fat with a 4g protein avocado in my 20g protein salad.

xoxoxoxo

Beth
#12 of 15 Old 01-12-2005, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boof
Of course I make up the fat with a 4g protein avocado in my 20g protein salad.
I want to know about the salad!

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#13 of 15 Old 01-12-2005, 01:22 PM

Where did the safe fish levels/ sushi post go? I wanted to share with DH.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#14 of 15 Old 01-12-2005, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstmomy
Where did the safe fish levels/ sushi post go? I wanted to share with DH.
Cristina, the conversation about fish is in another thread.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=235511

Valeria
dd 05.17.2005
#15 of 15 Old 01-12-2005, 02:57 PM

Here's what I'm doing: I try to eat an egg and toast with Peanut butter and a glass of milk for breakfast. For lunch I've been bad lately... I've been going to Quiznos and getting their steak beef dip sandwich, one of my weird cravings. But it's high in protein... For snacks I bring to work a few pieces of fruit, a snack bag with peanuts and rasins, yogurt, and cheese slices. Then for dinner I make my meal based around steamed veggies with a side of starch and a side of meat. I have milk with dinner. I'm probably not getting enough protein, huh... I'll have to see what else I can do.

Jenn

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page