Let's talk about bras - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-07-2005, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What do you wear? I have outgrown mine and need something to wear when I go out of the house. Anyone have a suggeation on a good nursing bra?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2005, 01:59 AM

My sitster n laws love the Yes!Breastfeeding bra. I am looking forward to trying this bra out myself. When I had my last I tried Decent Exposures, but they are pretty expensive. You can get the Yes!breastfeeding bra for about $15 on ebay or $19 off their website.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
Old 01-07-2005, 04:07 AM

I have tried a couple of different maternity/nursing bras, but haven't liked any of them (I'm now a 36 DD, maybe 36F up from a 36D). I have resorted to buying a bunch of In Due Time maternity tanks with built-in bras & wearing them under my other shirts/sweaters. I like the Old Navy ones, too, but the In Due Time tanks seem to have more support. I know you can get them at Mervyns & Target. HTH!

AmiBeth

Old 01-07-2005, 01:26 PM

I had the best luck with Bravado nursing bras, and I'm wearing them now, too. I wear a M/M (After 2 babies, my girls have become the amazing shrinking duo ) and they fit really really well. I'm going to buy a couple more soon, it kills me to spend $40 on a bra, but they last really well and they were super easy to nurse in and very comfortable. Good luck finding exactly what you want!

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Old 01-07-2005, 02:36 PM

I liked the service and selection at Motherwear.com. HTH

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo
(After 2 babies, my girls have become the amazing shrinking duo )
My girls have done the opposite. After DS1 weaned I had gone form a 34B to a 34C and after DS2 weaned I had gone from a 34C to a 36D!!! And they stayed that way! I was happy with my 34B's! I'm scared to see how big they will stay after this next baby! :LOL

I liked Bravado bras after my first, but the one thing that bugged me was that the elastic around the ribs would start to fold in half after a while (no matter how I washed it).

AmiBeth

Old 01-07-2005, 05:32 PM

My favorite bra for breastfeeding was a rayon "bralette" that I got from Victoria's secret. It's basically like a sports bra, but stretchier and without all the fabric. So it's a piece of rayon across the breasts then spaghetti-like straps. No snapping, no zipping, no messing with. Just goes over your head and lift up and voila! Holds nursing pads just fine too. But I have small boobs, so I get up to a whopping 36D when my milk comes in. But when you think about how tiny I am, that's pretty big...

Anyway, I've seen them elsewhere as well and will definitely consider getting more since I don't know what happened to my other one.

Right now, I've just moved up in cup size. I saved the bras from my last pregnancy for this and just got 'em out of my maternity clothes box the other day.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
Old 01-07-2005, 05:36 PM
nym

I dont wear a bra right now. I only have a few really old stretched out, holey Bravados that dont fit and make it look like I am not wearing one anyways.

My fav bra site is http://www.birthandbabyorders.com/index.php?c=35
Old 01-07-2005, 05:45 PM

I am really struggling as I seem to be about a 40B right now. Not so easy to find, esp. w/ out underwire which bugs me right now. My ribs have really expanded and I just don't seem to fit any bras. My best right now is a Target one I found on clearance (can't remember if it is 40B or 38B) w/ a bra extender added. I have one from Victoria's Secret that I love, but need it in a size they don't make. It seems that if you get bigger than 36 (sometimes 38) you have to have a very large cup size or you are out of luck. Maybe when the baby comes and I am bfin'g it will be easier as my cupsize may increase enough to fill out the bras I need to go around me. Blah! I really don't like bra shopping, esp with a preschooler.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:35 PM

For those hard to fit gals, like myself, try www.decentexposures.com, or www.yesbreastfeeding.com.
neither have underwires and they carried larger boobie sizes!!!!

(I have no financial gain in either of these companies!)

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
Old 01-08-2005, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles
I am really struggling as I seem to be about a 40B right now. Not so easy to find, esp. w/ out underwire which bugs me right now. My ribs have really expanded and I just don't seem to fit any bras. My best right now is a Target one I found on clearance (can't remember if it is 40B or 38B) w/ a bra extender added. I have one from Victoria's Secret that I love, but need it in a size they don't make. It seems that if you get bigger than 36 (sometimes 38) you have to have a very large cup size or you are out of luck. Maybe when the baby comes and I am bfin'g it will be easier as my cupsize may increase enough to fill out the bras I need to go around me. Blah! I really don't like bra shopping, esp with a preschooler.
I'm so glad I'm not the only one with a bizarre, unfittable bra size! Right now I'm a 42B, almost impossible to find. The only nursing bra I found that fits is a Warners, which I really like. I just bought 4 42C size since I find that I'm bigger now with #2 than I was with dd.

I tried all the others, including Bravado, and they were ALL too narrow around the chest. It's funny, since I'm not a big person -- I just have a really wide rib cage.

Has anyone with my size tried these new style of built-in nursing bra tanks? I'd love to order a couple but have had such bad luck finding bras that I just can't justify ordering without a recommendation.

Thanks!

jj
Old 01-08-2005, 01:20 AM

jj, that is good to know about the Warner's. Where did you find them? I definitely need to check that out. Good to know about Bravado too as I was thinking of ordering one, but was hesitant as it seemed the cup would be too big for my band size. BTW, I did one of the measurement calculators on a website and it says I should wear a 36B. Well, every 36 I try is so tight I cannot breathe. I don't even seem to be the size that I measure! I want to try some more tanks too, but those I have tried so far just don't seem to give much support and I am not that big.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:13 PM

I am wearing mostly camisoles these days. Mostly my prepregnancy ones from Victoria's Secret. I also just got a Glamour Mom nursing tank that is the same idea, but has a bit more support and coverage. I this tank! I am going to ask for some as gifts when baby comes.

I also wear Bravado bras, and that is mostly what I used the whole time since pregnant with ds. But, in tshirts or thinner shirts, they don't cover the nipple quite enough, iykwim. I would love to find something like the Bravado, with a little thicker material. Prior to ds I was 34B, prior to this pregnancy 34C. I have not gone up in size at all yet, I guess because of still nursing and now cutting down, it all evened out.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:56 PM

I think the best nursing bras are just strapless sports types. They pull down easily, and you can even pull both sides down if you think its in the way. No snaps, no fuss, no underwires. It's the best for me, but I'm kinda small, so I don't need all that much support...
Old 01-16-2005, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliMommie
I liked Bravado bras after my first, but the one thing that bugged me was that the elastic around the ribs would start to fold in half after a while (no matter how I washed it).
That happened to mine, too, and it really bugged me. Plus, I recently unearthed my stash of nursing bras and discovered that all the Bravados look like the dickens. I think when I was wearing them every day I didn't notice, but now that I have been out of them for a while, I can tell that they really, really didn't hold up very well. At the very least, I need to replace them. But I would rather get something a little more durable, and maybe with more support? I found I didn't like way I looked in them, despite wearing an appropriate size.

I have one Leading Lady stretchy cotton bra that was really comfy and fit well, and is still in pretty good shape.

Has anybody owned one of those Goddess bras? I googled them recently and found a cotton one that looks really comfy, but it has little black and red shapes for the baby to look at all around the cup opening. I found that kindof off-putting. Shouldn't the baby be looking at ME and not little decorations on my bra?

may my heart always be open to little birds who are the secrets of living whatever they sing is better than to know  - e.e. cummings
Old 01-18-2005, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I went to Motherhood and got a nice bra on sale for $14. It is a soft cup with no underwire and to my surprise I am now a 38B. Wow I have boobs! I really like this bra and am looking for more like it.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:29 PM

If you're big busted (DD or above) Go for Goddess 510 nursing bra. It's a GODSEND!!!

Also, if you're big, you probably know how hard it is to find an accurate measurement and fit. Go to this site and take your measurements :
http://www.plussizebras.org/measure.html

photosmile2.gifBabs + trekkie.gifCurtis - Parents of Tempest blahblah.gif(08/07/03 autismribbon.gif), Jericho angel2.gif(11/01/05 ribboncesarean.gif), Xan moon.gif(10/03/06 uc.jpghbac.gif), Zephyra baby.gif(06/02/11 hbac.gif). mdcblog5.gif @ babyslime.livejournal.com

Old 01-18-2005, 07:51 PM

I second the Goddess bra! But I'm too large to fit the one with the color shapes, so I've never tried it. I think mine are the 510 (all white, no other additions). But I've just outgrown mine and don't have the extra $$$ to upsize. The best I can do for now is add in a bra extender.

Anyway, great support and comfort. I was an underwire queen, so to find a soft cup that I enjoyed seemed near impossible. But I've been really happy with mine. I also had a Bravado, and same issue with the band folding. I still use it around the house, but it too is too small for me. I'd like to try their new plus size one and see what that's like...

User Tag List