Are you avoiding fish altogether? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2005, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have just read a couple of posts where ladies have said they are not eating fish at all during PG. Who else is? I am eating fish, although mostly tilapia and salmon and shrimp and stuff like that. I love fish, and its one of the only meats that I like to eat on a regular basis.
So, what have you heard, and what do you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2005, 10:56 PM

I can't seem to get enough shrimp lately... I'm not a big fish eater generally but I am really, really craving shell fish. I would give my right arm to live in New England (the land of cheap lobster) again!
Old 01-10-2005, 11:23 PM

I am NOT a fish eater when I am not pregnant. I can not stand the stuff. Shrimp is about all I can handle. Can not stand tuna! YUCK!

But, lately I have been wanting fish & chips. Even went to so far to make fish tacos one night with halibut. Go figure! DH loves it! Guess I am needing something! I guess we will do fish tomorrow, Soups on tonight.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
Old 01-10-2005, 11:25 PM

I have not ate any fish for a while. I get confused on which kind has lower mercury. I do eat shrimp. I guess it's ok to eat shellfish. I haven't heard or read anything stating otherwise. My dh has the idea I am not supposed to eat shrimp and I don't know where he got that idea.

I am sure it wouldn't hurt to add some Omega-3 to my diet.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:47 PM

jumping in (sorry to intrude, I am not in your due date club, but I saw the topic and had to reply, as it is something I am obsessed with.)

Be very very careful eating fish. Salmon, if it is farmed altantic salmon (which almost all salmon you buy at the grocery store is) it is very very high in all kinds of bad things, PCBs, and PBDBs (flame retardant) being among the worst. Tuna is very high in mercury.

Here is some info about the high level of toxins in salmon:

http://www.ewg.org/reports/farmedPCBs/printversion.php
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0109072244.htm

Here is a list of mercury levels in fish:

You can download and print a handy wallet guide that has all the fish listed, and includes a great guide for eating tuna. available here: http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/m...walletcard.pdf

HIGHEST MERCURY
Avoid eating

Grouper*
Marlin*
Orange roughy*
Tilefish *
Swordfish
Shark *
Mackerel (king)

HIGH MERCURY
Eat no more than three 6-ounce servings per month

Bass (saltwater)*
Croaker
Halibut*
Tuna (canned, white albacore) click for more specific guidelines
Tuna (fresh bluefin, ahi)
Sea trout
Bluefish
Lobster (American/Maine)

LOWER MERCURY
Eat no more than six 6-ounce servings per month

Carp
Mahi Mahi
Crab (dungeness)
Snapper*
Crab (blue)
Herring
Crab (snow)
Monkfish*
Perch (freshwater)
Skate
Cod*
Tuna (canned, chunk light) click for more specific guidelines
Tuna (fresh Pacific albacore)

LOWEST MERCURY
Enjoy these fish
Anchovies
Butterfish
Calamari (squid)
Caviar (farmed)
Crab (king)*
Pollock
Catfish
Whitefish
Perch (ocean)
Scallops
Flounder*
>Haddock*
Hake
Herring
Lobster (spiny/rock)
Shad
Sole
Crawfish/crayfish
Salmon**
Shrimp*
Clams
Tilapia
Oysters
Sardines
Sturgeon (farmed)
Trout (freshwater)

* Fish to avoid for reasons other than mercury: Fish and other types of seafood are marked with an asterisk above if any of their populations are depleted due to overfishing or if the methods used to catch them are especially damaging to other sea life or ocean habitats. To learn more, see the Monterey Bay Aquarium and the Blue Ocean Institute, both of which provide guides to fish to enjoy or avoid on the basis of environmental factors.

** Salmon: Farmed salmon may contain PCBs, manufactured chemicals with serious long-term health effects. (PCBs were banned in the U.S. in the 1970s but remain in the environment.)

entire guide available at: http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/guide.asp
Old 01-10-2005, 11:55 PM

Here is NRDC's list for Sushi fish (just in case anyone is tempted, though it is probably generally a bad idea):

http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/sushi.asp

HIGHEST MERCURY
Avoid
Kajiki (swordfish)
Saba (mackerel)

HIGH MERCURY
Eat no more than three 6-ounce servings per month
Ahi (yellowfin tuna)1
Buri (adult yellowtail)2
Hamachi (young yellowtail)2
Inada (very young yellowtail)2
Kanpachi (very young yellowtail)2
Katsuo (bonito)2
Maguro (bigeye, bluefin* or yellowfin tuna)1
Makjiki (blue marlin)*
Masu (trout)
Meji (young bigeye, bluefin* or yellowfin tuna)1
Shiro (albacore tuna)
Toro (bigeye, bluefin* or yellowfin tuna)1

LOWER MERCURY
Eat no more than six 6-ounce servings per month
Kani (crab)
Seigo (young sea bass)*
Suzuki (sea bass)*

LOWEST MERCURY
Enjoy these fish
Aji (horse mackerel)2
Akagai (ark shell)
Anago (conger eel)
Aoyagi (round clam)
Awabi (abalone)
Ayu (sweetfish)
Ebi (shrimp)*
Hamaguri (clam)
Hamo (pike conger; sea eel)
Hatahata (sandfish)
Himo (ark shell)
Hokkigai (surf clam)
Hotategai (scallop)*
Ika (squid)
Ikura (salmon roe)
Kaibashira (shellfish)
Kaiware (daikon-radish sprouts)
Karei (flatfish)
Kohada (gizzard shad)
Masago (smelt egg)
Mirugai (surf clam)
Nori-tama (egg)
Sake (salmon)
Sawara (spanish mackerel)2
Sayori (halfbeak)
Shako (mantis shrimp)
Tai (sea bream)
Tairagai (razor-shell clam)
Tako (octopus)
Tamago (egg) Tobikko (flying fish egg)
Torigai (cockle)
Tsubugai (shellfish)
Unagi (freshwater eel)
Uni (sea urchin roe)

* Fish to avoid for reasons other than mercury: Fish and other types of seafood are marked with an asterisk above if any of their populations are depleted due to overfishing or if the methods used to catch them are especially damaging to other sea life or ocean habitats. To learn more, see the Monterey Bay Aquarium and the Blue Ocean Institute, both of which provide guides to fish to enjoy or avoid on the basis of environmental factors.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:57 AM

Well, I'd say that about sums it up!
Old 01-11-2005, 12:10 PM

I had fish on New Years Day for the first time in ages. I really had a craving and my parents came for dinner. I live in the land of the Friday night fish fry (wisconsin) and could eat fried fish each week easily. We had haddock (I checked the mercury contents beforehand) and I fried it at home - yummy. But, I think it gave my dd hives so I won't be making fish again anytime soon. I have added fish oil capsules to my diet recently for the omega-3. It's a tough one because if it weren't for the pollutants, it really is so good for you and your baby.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:42 PM

I have been craving fish (mahi mahi aka dolphin FISH) and shrimp lately... I think the shrimp has to do more with the sushi I love it in... especially the wasabi and pickled ginger. MMMMMMmmmmm.

Unfortunately I am such a fish snob that the stuff at the market even a seafood market isn't up to par with what I was raised eating... I grew up in the FL Keys so fresh meant within 12 hrs of being caught.

Dh got me a little FryDaddy and we have been talking about making some fish as well as conch fritters... Maybe I will take the plunge and buy some seafood. I just hope that I am not disappointed. Nothing worse than craving something for so long and then when you take your first bite you think, "Why'd I bother?!"
Old 01-11-2005, 04:32 PM

I have been eating wild Alaskan salmon (usually the canned kind) several times a month, sardines a couple of times a month, anchovies occasionally. I think we have gotten sushi 3 times in this pregnancy. I only ate the kind with shrimp, crab, eel, and mostly veggies. I have also had shrimp in a meal maybe 2 other times, and catfish once or twice. From that list (thanks for posting!) it looks like I am doing okay, but it makes me nervous.

Although, there is never any popular press about all the pollutants and antibiotics that may be in traditionally farmed meats. Maybe not mercury, but I think there is a lot we don't know about the food we eat.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the list. I've seen other lists but your is really complete. I am super paranoid about mercury and other contaminants so i usually avoid fish anyway. I wish it wasn't so darned good for you. I have had some tilapia though. I was gonna try to eat it a least once or twice a week but i always forget. I didn't think there were so many on the safe list. I'm gonna have to check some other types out.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, yeah, thanks for that list SavetheWild . I have seen lists as well, but not like that. Good to know that what I've been eating is lowest mercury. I guess that doesn't mean its completely safe, though, huh? Oh well, I guess if they say for the Lower Mercury list to Eat no more than six 6-ounce servings per month - and the lowest says to enjoy, if I keep on having my tilapia and eat no more than 6 servings per month - which I probably dont' anyway - I'll be acting precautious.
Oh the ways we rationalize. LOL
Old 01-14-2005, 11:33 PM

Those lists are excellent. thanks! Lateley, I have really been craving fish... I rarely eat it at home, since dh hates fish and can not even stand the smell. But when he is out of town, I will make oven-fried talapia for me and the kids.

On Wednesday, I wanted fish so badly, that I drove through McDonalds for a Fish Filet : .. definitely not a WHole Food, but it sure was good!!!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.

User Tag List