Running/Jogging in 2nd trimester - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-15-2005, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all-

Pretty new here.
My question: Is anyone running during their 2nd trimester?

I've only managed to make it out on the road a few times, due to the discomfort of having my uterus bounce on my bladder! It makes me have to pee as soon as I start pounding the pavement. I've found that I end up walking for most of my "run" (I alternate run/walk anyway), which just isn't as exhilarating or efficient- takes me twice as long to complete the same distance. Lately, the walking motion has been giving me pain (possibly sciatica?) that the running doesn't, making me miss running all the more.

Does it get any better? Or am I doomed to walk or do nothing? Might a belly sling help?

I also take yoga and dance, but they don't help me maintain my fitness levels nearly as well. I've gained a lot more than "normal" (whatever THAT means) because I had to reduce my exercise volume so drastically, what with M/S and extreme fatigue in the first trimester, and now this. A gym would be nice for cardio, but it really isn't a practical option for me right now.

Thanks for any input!
#2 of 3 Old 01-15-2005, 10:33 AM

I was running 4 miles about 3x a week. I quit running when I got the double line on the test and just speed walked instead. I felt like the high impact of running might be harmful to the baby ... I dunno if this is true but I decided I'd wait til after birth to get back to running. I know swimming and stationary biking is good for you. I have only walked and occationally rode the stationary bike. The reason I say stationary biking is because your balance is not as good during pregnancy and you have a higher chance of falling. I do look forward to getting back into running. In fact, I just dreamed this morning that I was going for a run and it was so refreshing.

I have heard different opinions on the running. One lady said it was ok as long as you were keeping your heart rate at 140 and under. Another said it was too much impact for the fetus. If I were you I would swim instead. It is very good for you and you get a full body and cardio workout.

I guess since the gym is not much of an option, swimming would be out because it is the middle of winter.
#3 of 3 Old 01-16-2005, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet005
I have heard different opinions on the running. One lady said it was ok as long as you were keeping your heart rate at 140 and under. Another said it was too much impact for the fetus.
I was given the go ahead by both my FP (who said I could run a marathon while pregnant if I wanted to- definitely don't want to!) and Ob. I'm inclined to say that the fetus doesn't mind in the least, especially if we already know that sex isn't a problem during a healthy pregnancy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet005
I guess since the gym is not much of an option, swimming would be out because it is the middle of winter.
There is definitley that. Although if I still lived where I grew up it wouldn't be an issue- but the sun still would be (I'm a photophobe). I don't really want replace running for cardio, I want to continue. It's too efficient, and nothing else (besides walking) is as cheap- I live in NYC, which means everything is expensive and my apartment is too small to do *any* exercise. Seriously, even yoga would be pushing it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page