Monthly Thread, February 2005 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 02-02-2005, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all!

I thought I'd get this started.

So, I can't believe how big I'm getting. Every morning after waking I lay in bed and put my hands on my belly and it feels bigger and bigger. I've finally got people asking me when I'm due. I'm so tall, that it wasn't really that obvious that I'm pregnant until just a couple of weeks ago. My mom and sister came to visit last week. I haven't seen them since august, it was so wonderful to be with them. My mom was so excited and she took me shopping for maternity clothes! Yay for mom So now I am finally starting to feel comfortable in my clothes. It's amazing what a difference maternity clothes make! Both my mom and sis were able to feel the baby kick, it was really great. I scheduled my midwife appt so that they would be able to come along. My family is very mainstream, so my mom was full of questions about the safety of homebirth. At the end of the appt she was very much satisfied and she told me that she felt very confident in my decision to homebirth. It made me feel a lot better, too, because I've been worried all along about her nervousness about my decision.

I can't believe how quickly the time is flying by. Six months already! Baby is super active and DH is having fun feeling him/her move around everynight. DH made the sweetest comment to me last night. He got up to use the bathroom around 3 am and woke me up. So I climbed out of bed because I had to use it too, of course. I was standing in the doorway to the bathroom, naked belly and all, rubbing my sleepy eyes to avoid the shocking light. And out of nowhere he tells me that I am the most amazingly beautiful woman he has ever seen and he feels like the luckiest man alive. He made my day, week, year, life!!! I have the sweetest DH!

Another cool thing is I've totally made an IRL friend from MDC! (Hi, mamamead!!!) It's made a huge difference for me to have another pregnant woman to talk to about all of the crazy symptoms I'm experiencing. And even better than that, she's really a really cool mama and she's helping me learn to knit It's also been nice to be able to get out of the house and feel like I actually have a social life again!

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#2 of 61 Old 02-02-2005, 04:18 PM

Hi Ladies! Wow, we are now in february! Time is passing that is for sure. I hope all of us are feeling great!
I have gotten my confidence back. Come Saturday it will be a full month since I last spotted. That makes me feel really really good! Baby Girl Alexa is moving and groving, and GROWING! I swear my belly popped out last weekend. Today she has slowed down, but I blame that on the long emotional night we had last night.

My DD is sick. I think this is the first day of school she has missed. She came home from Girl Scouts last night with a fever. She had been coughing for a few days, along with Dh & Ds, but only she has progressed into something worse. I had Dh take her to urgent care last night. When he called, her temp was 103 (she refused tylenol before she left) and diagnosed her with acute bronchitis. The doc wrote a script for pills, DD does NOT take pills. I told Dh to go back in and ask for a different script. He would not, and said she is old enough to take them. I said whatever, did not want to argue. He gets the pills, which were $46 bucks for 7 pills. When they get home, she will not take them. After pleading, yelling, all kinds of drama, by the time she gets them down, all the protective coating is gone. She throws them up an hour later. UGH! IF ONLY DH HAD LISTENED! Anyway, he gets to clean up the mess. I took her back to our doc today (just love him!) and get a $5 script for liquid! Dh was banging his head against the wall, "If I had only listened to you!" DUH!

My dog is also sick. (Why do things happen like this!) Two days ago, he would not work for food. He is a food hound!!! He could barely move & was trembling in total pain. No crying though. Called the vet, & he can not get in until yesterday. I called them back, and asked if I could give him anything for pain, poor beagle was just a shaken! He can have asprin. Now, who has asprin in the house anymore???? Go to the store & get it. It helps. Then when I take him to the vet he is fine. Moving, jumping, very excited to be at the vet. But the Vet, thinks he has spondylitis. Since he was fine there, no xrays just yet. (I am thankfull, money is so tight right now!) Continue with asprin, as symptoms show. If I am giving asprin daily for 4 days then come back & they will take xrays. I guess this is fairly common in dogs & starts when they hit middle age (which Chester is.) UGH! Why this year when paying for a midwife????

As far as pregnancy, I feel pretty good most days. There are times when my pelvis gets really achy. Way up in my neither regions, like where my femur hits my pelvis. Almost like riding a horse for hours. It is on both sides, but my left side hurts worse. I noticed it more after wearing high heeled boots at a wedding. That was without dancing, just walking. And yes, I am waddleing very badly when this happens! When will relaxin kick in????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglevoice
And out of nowhere he tells me that I am the most amazingly beautiful woman he has ever seen and he feels like the luckiest man alive. He made my day, week, year, life!!! I have the sweetest DH!
!
This is the most beautiful thing ever!!! WoW, what an amazing Dh you have! Make sure you journal this.

Sorry so long. Just have had alot going on. I did not even include, my Mom had surgery today & I could not go due to DD being sick. She had to have a friend take her! Oh well such is life!

Have blessed day Ladies! I hope all is well with you all!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#3 of 61 Old 02-02-2005, 06:20 PM

Jen - your DH is such a sweetie. Doesn't it feel good when they say things like that???

Cristina - Ug, sounds like quite a week you've had. I hope it slows down for you! I can barely take pills...so I don't blame your daughter...some of us have a more sensitive gag reflext than others, I think that is what does it.

I went to see my M/W today. I've been having BH Contractions...not 4 an hour, but quite a few of them. I'm to have an ultrasound tomorrow, plus DH wants me to stay home tomorrow and Friday to rest. And THEN you know what he says?? He's going to NOT go practice the piano tonight so he can stay home and "put the moves on a certain hottie." Hmm...doesn't he know that THAT area of the body is directly related to the BABY area of the body..contractions + Sex probably doesn't = something too great! lol. Poor guy. And my sex drive is STILL non-existant! Blah.

Oh - he's just now GETTING it (we back and forth at work...) Oh well.
#4 of 61 Old 02-02-2005, 06:20 PM

I am also amazed at how big my stomach is getting...overnight it seems. This baby moves and kicks a lot, more than I remember with my dd's.

I am doing well otherwise, just trying to make final birthing decisions and to get my house in order......

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#5 of 61 Old 02-02-2005, 09:11 PM

HI mamas. I have been having some complications w/my pg lately (for details see my thread in I'm Pregnant). I woke up today with a blinding migraine & my BP was up again My mom came & took the boys to the park so I could try to sleep it off. It's almost gone now. I am going through & selling diapers & books we don't use on the TP, so glad to be getting stuff out of the house. They still have not scheduled Colby's eye surgery (um, I am pg, don't want to be 5 hrs from home when I'm 9 monhts along, which at this rate I will be!). We think we found a dr local who can do the surgery, and we have heard great things about him, so we're keeping our fingers crossed! I'm going to go lay down again, I can feel the headache coming back!

AmiBeth

#6 of 61 Old 02-03-2005, 04:55 AM

AmiBeth...please take it easy hun. I have been following your problems and i am very worried about you.

Well. We just moved back down to DHs hometown. Which puts me about 5 hours away from my midwife at this point. As of right now the plan is for me to go stay with my grandmother for the last couple weeks of the pregnancy so i will be pretty close to the midwife. I kinda overdid it during the move and was out of commission for a few days. Finally today i felt like doing a little more unpacking and putting up. I am hopeing to have it all done in another week or so.

This baby is GROWING in leaps and bounds. I believe my dream of having a smaller baby that actually looks like a newborn are slowly going out the window. Justin was so big and alert when he was born that everyone commented on how he looked 3 months old. Although i don't think this one will be as big as he was i am sure it will be bigger than DD was. I hardly even showed with her at all.

One thing about this pregnancy that is different than the rest is that this baby is carrying so high up that it is already in my ribs. Even as big as DS was he was never in my ribs. DD was so small she never had a chance to get even close to my ribs. This is definately a sensation that i do NOT like. I am a huge sloucher and now it hurts to slouch so i have to work on my posture. LOL.
#7 of 61 Old 02-03-2005, 10:35 AM

Morning everyone!

AmiBeth - glad you posted - I too have been reading your other thread and have been wondering how you are doing. Sounds like you are monitoring things the best you can. My cousin was induced for pre-eclampsia at 36 weeks. It came on very suddenly and was not fun. I sure hope you can avoid that. and rest.

Speaking of rest - I think I need to do that more. I think I have been pushing too hard even though I think it's too early yet for me to have to slow down. But, I've had major BH and just a general yucky feeling for about a week. I went home early Monday from work and have taken it easy since and feel better. But, I've just got so much I want to get done that it is very frustrating. And, my toddler is asserting her independence in a big way -- this is new in the last week. She is full of "not fine", "go away", and "I will do it" - yikes!

Jenn - what a sweet dh you have! I can totally relate to your mom buying you maternity clothes. My mom did the same thing for my b-day last month and it was great. I've finally popped out in a major way too. Lots of baby wiggling but I still can't tell if it's head down or up. I would love to have feet in my ribs right now!

Cristina - I hope your dd and dog feel better soon.
#8 of 61 Old 02-03-2005, 02:06 PM

Hello Ladies!!! It's been a while since we gathered on a thread and just chatted It is so fun that we our babies are showing and growing. I get really achey in my lower back, but that could be due to my bladder or kidney problems (hopefully bladder and not kidney). I can't believe it is only 3 more months until May!!! It seems like time is moving along so quickly. So, if I am 27 weeks and days would that make me in the third trimester already? Wow!! I remember the 1st and thinking it would be forever until the 3rd.

Eaglevoice- that is very sweet of your DH. They can be so wonderful can't they?

Amibeth- I have been following your problem on the pregnancy thread and I really hope things get better for you. You have been in my thoughts everyday.

Anita- I hope your BH contrax subside. Do get some rest!!!

Debstmommy- I hope your DD and dog feel better soon!!! Don't you love it when those DH's don't listen when they should.

I have found that I have been sleeping more lately and feeling yucky. I hope this subsides soon because my clean house is a mess now - and I worked so hard on it just to let it go to crap!!
#9 of 61 Old 02-03-2005, 03:01 PM

Well I had my ultrasound today...another one. Anyway - everything looks great, baby and cervix included. They did warn me not to take those BH's too lightly - and that I need to be resting and keeping track of them, considering lastnight seemed to get worse instead of better. The one thing that concerns me is, if I continue to have them and need meds or whatever to stop...it may jump me up in the "higher risk" catagory meaning I can't use the birthing center Which does bum me out some. The birthing center is in the hospital, and they do have some pretty strict rules about being able to use the center.

I'm definately having a girl though. No doubts! MIL is going to be disappointed, she let on that she was hoping we'd end up with a boy anyway...she hates the name Azalyah THAT MUCH. Now we're going to have to deal with her actually calling her Azalyah instead of whatever name she comes up with herself (because she so hard headed..she WILL do it!) Yet another reason I want to stay home SO BAD!!!

Unfortuantely taxes didn't come out QUITE as good as I wanted it too, so outlook isn't so great on the me staying home bit. Now I'm working on getting DH a better paying job, and figuring up how much I'd have to make working part time for us to make it...to see if its sensible. Here's hoping that turns out good.

I am getting bigger too..by the minute it seems. And I've hit the 3rd Trimester blahs..and I'm only 27 weeks...but I seem to get very tired easily..and my brain is mush more now than ever. The other day I told DH his "Chicken smelled like rice" - I was smelling his shirt. Hmm..don't know where that came from! lol
#10 of 61 Old 02-03-2005, 04:17 PM

Hi Mama's, I too and feeling much bigger, my dh is so wonderful, he is always telling me how great I look, both he and ds have felt the baby kicking I think it is getting more "real" for both of them!
I am glad to see so many of you are feeling well (Amibeth I am glad you are feeling good, I have been thinking of you) I can't believe that we are three months away I am so excited to meet this little one! I am so glad to be homeschooling ds, it is nice not to rush around and have our own schedule!
I am thinking of taking a pre-natal class again this time, is anyone else in one? did you take one with your first if this is not #1? This is my second but dh's first so we are planning on taking one, next month when our taxes are done!
It is nice to see you all, take care.

There's nothing you can know that isn't known. ~ John Lennon
#11 of 61 Old 02-03-2005, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacenlove
I am thinking of taking a pre-natal class again this time, is anyone else in one? did you take one with your first if this is not #1? This is my second but dh's first so we are planning on taking one, next month when our taxes are done!
It is nice to see you all, take care.
I had planned to take a class before dd but she was born 4 days before the class met! I don't think I will take one this time -- from what friends have told me, the ones offered through our hospital focus a lot on how much childbirth hurts and types of pain relief. Well, I had pit last time and did it without pain meds (my choice) so I'm not really interested in their info. I read a good bradley book before dd was born and that gave me lots of good info. But, I do think I am going to tour the hospital. Even though I had dd at the same place I will go to this time, I have questions that I never got to ask since dd's arrival was a surprise. For example, do they actually pay attention to birth plans, what's the best way in their view to convey my wishes about eye goop, vit k and no circ, do I have to labor on my back -- stuff like that. Dd's birth was great given the circumstances but assuming I'll have more control over things this time, I want to be ready.
#12 of 61 Old 02-03-2005, 06:18 PM

Hi all! I had a nice big response typed out earlier and ds unpluged the computer. Silly boy. So anyways, it's gonna be short this time. THings are going ok. Dd had the flu, ds, is, I think, getting his second molars in. He's very cuddly and has an on again/off again fever. Not getting much sleep at night with it and dd is giving up naps, so I'm not getting much sleep anywhere.

Dh says I'm getting bigger, but I cna't really tell. I'm really overweight to begin with, so I don't see the difference right now. Tons of movement, though. Sometimes it feels like it never stops. It's nice and reassuring.

Tomorrow I'm going for a level 2 u/s to check out our concerns. Hopefully we'll have a good report.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#13 of 61 Old 02-03-2005, 09:25 PM

I haven't felt real chatty lately. Money stress is getting to me. We finally had a light at the end of the tunnel thinking that we'd be getting a huge tax return. Turns out we owe over $1000 and we can't figure out why and neither can the lady at H&R Block.

Pregnancy seems to be going ok. I keep having contractions, sometimes 6 in an hour. I should probably call my midwife but I see her Monday so I'm hoping that it's nothing and I'll have her check me when I'm there.

The big kids are doing great and DH has been amazingly sweet and loving lately.

Hopefully this funk will end soon.
#14 of 61 Old 02-03-2005, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wende
I haven't felt real chatty lately. Money stress is getting to me. We finally had a light at the end of the tunnel thinking that we'd be getting a huge tax return. Turns out we owe over $1000 and we can't figure out why and neither can the lady at H&R Block.
Ouch I'm sorry to hear that. I know what you're going through with the money stress. I'm still waiting on a couple of W-2's so we can go and get our money, too. I'd be devastated at this point if it turned out that we owed money! I don't know where we would get it... It's hard enough paying rent at the end of the month. Thank goddess for boobie milk and hand me down clothes and dipes, otherwise we'd be in big trouble come may!

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#15 of 61 Old 02-03-2005, 10:33 PM

Wende, I hope you are feeling better soon.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#16 of 61 Old 02-04-2005, 11:07 AM

Wende- I am sending lots of your way. I am sorry you going through such a difficult time. I hate to hear about your taxes. I don't understand how some people who make lots of money still get returns and others who struggle to get by day to day have to pay in. That is ridiculous!!! The system is a mess.

I am feeling better today. The doc called and said there is definately something going on with my bladder and I do have an infection but they are not sure exactly what it is I can't believe it has taken 2-3 days to figure this out. If I had gone to the ER the results would have been immedient. Anyway, I have been slamming water and taking the cranberry tablets a few of you suggested, and I have an antibiotic from the dr.
I have been feeling the baby kick around pretty consistantly. I mostly feel him on my lower left side and occasionally around my navel. I do not know what his position is.
I am going to "fix" my house today since it got torn up from me not keeping up with it this week.
Good Day to all!!
#17 of 61 Old 02-04-2005, 02:55 PM

Hi everyone!

Wende - I feel you on the $$ issues. We have to borrow money from my grandparents to get a new car, and it's not like I wasn't already freaked about money anyway.

I'm feeling okay. My life, if you haven't heard, has been crazy, what with the semi falling 35 feet and landing on my car followed by a ridiculous media blitz. Things are getting back to normal now and we're figuring out the practical matters of life once again. I'm driving again some, but just around town during the day. Still afraid of highways and not looking to be alone at night in the car.

Interesting thing about my hospitalization following the accident - I had to have an ultrasound and a whole bunch of doppler use, which is fine, since that's exactly the sort of situation that that is called for in, but it was a weird juxtaposition after having hung out with these radical homebirthers who were railing against hospitals and technology earlier in the evening, only to find myself in a High Risk L&D ward in a city hospital. I had to get myself to stop being a birth activist while talking to docs. It was a real challenge. But I decided being a good patient was a good idea for insurance purposes, not to mention that I really wanted to make sure that the baby was okay. I wasn't, for the record, worried about the baby at all. I imagine because there was no trauma to my belly, I just felt an intuitive knowledge that the baby was okay.

Anyhow, baby moves a lot and things are slowly getting back to normal.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#18 of 61 Old 02-04-2005, 03:14 PM

I've been somewhat MIA for a couple of months. Nothing bad, just busy and tired and working too much. Baby is growing nicely and gives the most amazing kicks I have ever felt! I don't remember dd being this active, or at least, not this strong.

We're starting a Birthing From Within class on Monday and I'm excited about it. Wanted to take it when I was preg last time, but nobody was offering the class and I didn't have the energy to get certified that fast. LOL!

We're all getting over colds here (another reason for my lack of participation) and enjoying the nice weather we've had. MIL was just here for a week and she's great... miss her already.

Dd (19m) is working hard at talking and is an amazing kid. We’re enjoying her antics and spirit and joy at the world. Right now she’s running around diaperless and LOVING it. We’re nowhere near potty learning, but she’s starting to become very aware of herself in that department… now if only she wasn’t afraid of the potty!

That's all for us. Good to hear most of you are doing well and my thoughts are with those of you struggling with health/$/emotional issues!
#19 of 61 Old 02-04-2005, 03:22 PM

I'm glad things have settled down for you Breeder (loving the new name, haha). I can't imagine how scary and crazy it must have all been.

Thanks, you all, for the words of encouragement and understanding. We'll get through the money issues, we always do, but it's so frustrating!

I just talked to my midwife and she put me on bedrest for the next month, at least, so I'll check in when I can. I'm not very good about laying around doing nothing and I've never had to do it with a toddler!!
#20 of 61 Old 02-04-2005, 06:15 PM

I had an appt w/my new OB today. I really liked him. I am measuring at 29 weeks instead of at 27 so I go for another U/S Wed. He said that he isn't too concerned about my BP since they did another urine screen & all was normal, but to keep an eye on it & call if I felt worse. At least he discussed it w/me & took me seriously.

Wendy~ I had to do modified bedrest at the beginning of my 2nd pregnancy & it was no fun

Breeder~ Love the new username! I'm glad all is well & that things are getting back to normal for you.

Thank you to all who have voiced their concern over my recent complications, it's good to know I'm not alone.
AmiBeth

#21 of 61 Old 02-05-2005, 04:18 AM

Hello everyone!

I am having a really hard time retaining anything I read right now, could be the allergies or the fact that I am just plain exhausted, but either way I will say to one and all that my thoughts are with each of you who are going through rough spots be it with pregnancy woes/concerns or life in general. While I am keeping up all names and incidents seem to be running together in my mish-mash of a mind! I truly hope everyone gets through these tough times and arrives at the end happy, healthy, and safe.

As for me this last couple of months has been a rollercoaster both emotionally and physically. To start with we went to California for a week at the beginning of Dec for my DH's job training (ongoing stuff for his company). Anyway it was a good trip, but as soon as we got home I got sick. This time a pretty bad head cold, then a UTI, then some sort of stomach flu that lasted up to xmas and landed me in the ER on xmas day dehydrated and starving! I had no substantial food for about 4 days and very little fluids. So I gave in to the phenergan so I could break the cycle of nausea caused by the flu and then by low blood sugar and actually keep something in my stomach. After that and about 3 days of self (and DH) imposed bedrest I started to feel ok. I spent the next week cleaning and preparing for my mom's visit the 2nd week in Jan.

Here's where the emotional crap started. My mom, having just graduated from nursing school, came out to see me and to travel with myself and my 2 boys (1.5 and 3.5 years) down to southern Cali to see her two dying parents. While also spending time with us and supposedly enjoying her two grandsons, she was saying goodbye to her mom and dad. It was a very sad, but happy trip. The part that was the hardest for me was to constant friction between my mother and me. I am just not sure where it comes from. I started to feel all of this resentment and criticism the moment she got to Portland. Just as an aside, we have always been close and usually get along great, so this was a bit of a blindside for me.
To start with the drive down was stressful due to I-5 being closed for snow and our having to take 101 all the way. Rain and fog made it rather slow going and stressful. I hate to drive, but I only feel comfortable when my DH is driving not anyone else, so when Mom was at the wheel in rush hour traffic in the rain after dark I was a nervous wreck, and despite my best efforts to keep my fear to myself, it seeped out and pissed her off. That was the beginning of a very very bad night. Nothing but bitching from San Francisco to Lompoc.
Then the next day I got rolled eyes and sighs of discontent from her and my Aunt (where we were staying) when I announced I would be napping with my boys instead of doing my laundry that day, that I would get it done later. Isn't it my choice? Besides I had enough clothes packed I didn't need it done anyway!
From then on anytime I asked for help with the kids like washing hands or just keeping an eye on them so I could go pee, I got attitude. I spent most of the trip keeping my boys out of my aunts things (she didn't bother to put anything up! and kept yelling at them for touching stuff) or off of her precious leather chairs! I didn't get much sleep with all of us crammed into a double bed and having to pee so often. Everytime I got up one of the kids would stir just about the time I got back to sleep. At home DH at least can tag team with me and I get a bit more sleep.
Later in the trip when I mentioned to my mom that I had a rough night with the boys, rather than giving me sympathy or even a non-commital shrug like she had been doing with just about every other comment I made during the trip, she looked at me with a disapproving smirk and said "you were the one who spread your legs you have to live with the consequences" !!! : ARGH!!!! I she has never been so rude and mean and thoughtless. I still can't figure out what the heck did I do to her?
So after being delayed by the La Conchita (sp?) mudslide and not getting to LA until 4 days after we were originally supposed to be there we finally got to see my Gran, who is truly in bad shape. It was sad and hard to see her such a shadow of herself. I said a tearful goodbye, and tried to give comfort to my mother who was seeing her own mom for probably the last time. Even with all of the tension at least we were able to hug and comfort each other then.
We saw my Gramps later that day and over the next few days. It was fun and stressful. I got upset with my mom for asking my 3 year old when I sent him outside to play if he was "being bad again". ARGH! I told her under no uncertain terms do we use that language with my children. They are not bad, ever. Their behavior may be out of line, but they as people are not bad. My aunt then jumped on my case for "embarrassing" my mom. I looked at her and said "tough s**t" they are my kids and I decide how they are spoken to, period" I was soooo mad. : I spent the rest of the night outside playing with my sons while my aunt and mom got to socialize with my Gramps (who has lung cancer btw, and I might not see again but it didn't seem to matter to them) I just can't believe how they acted. UG! Not to mention that while we are in LA I get a call from my Grandma back in Illinois to tell me that my father had a heart attack! (I found out later that it was a minor one and that he should be ok if he does what the doc says.)
Finally after getting back to my Aunt's house and spend more time we didn't intend to I told mom I needed to get home, and we needed to try to leave a day earlier than she wanted to. My boys were starting to show signs of homesickness and I missed DH so badly. That and I just wanted some help and support. She got mad and called me selfish.
I just don't get it. When we finally headed out, we had a good drive back, stopping to take the kids to Pier 39 in San Francisco, and enjoying a beautiful drive back in great weather through northern Cali on I-5. Mom seem to relax then. I think some of her problem was dealing with her parents, but she has never taking stuff like that out on me. Even growing up with my dad who was an alcoholic, she never treated me badly because of her stress with him.
The last few days were good at least I thought they were. Turns out she was bitching about me to my DH. She told him I was selfish and that he does too much, and if he was wise he would "make me pull my weight more".
He of course says I do just fine, and that she doesn't understand our relationship because we are actually partners and share the work instead of the woman doing it all like she did when I was young. It is good to have a man who supports you!
So since she went home I have been recovering from lack of sleep and then I injured my neck. Funny story, Cole woke me up last Friday morning like this: his face about 2 inches from mine and yelled "MOMMY EAT!" at the top of his lungs! Scared me to death! I jerked my face away and couldn't turn my head back that way afterwards. Been to the chiro, he is working on it, pain is gone, but the stiffness and range of motion isn't completely better yet. Other than that I feel fine. BH contax hit a few times a day now with the force of an earthquake, but the breathing from my hypno classes helps a lot with them.

Baby is kicking and squirming like crazy! She is such a little mover. : MW says she is transvers (sideways) which explains the feeling that her feet are sticking out my side. It is a good feeling to know she is strong and healthy. I am starting to get anxious to meet her! Oh and I have started window shopping for girls clothes. In a way it makes me feel closer to her to hold and touch such dainty feminine things.

Sorry for the long vent, it's been a while since I posted and I really needed to get that out of my head. Blessings to all of you! Especially those who actually read through that crappy novel!!!!
Hugs to you all!
#22 of 61 Old 02-05-2005, 11:29 AM

Wow mamafae, sorry you had to go through all that.

We had our level 2 u/s yesterday and our baby is absolutely perfect. And it's a girl!!!!

#23 of 61 Old 02-05-2005, 09:30 PM

mamafae

I'm sorry you were having difficulty with your mother. Those are some really nasty things to say.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#24 of 61 Old 02-06-2005, 09:35 AM

mama fae.... what a "vacation" . You nad your mom were faced with 3 tough situations.. the sorrow and stress of your grandparents dying, a long trip together in tight quarters, and your being pregnant. My mom and I always get along least well when I am pregnant... something about the hormones makes me less tolerant of her... and for me, it is only her that I seem to "act" this way toward (probably b/c I *know* that she will love me no matter what... we normally get along great!).. but that's just me!

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that it is totally understandably why that trip was soooo stressful. I hope things are better soon!!!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#25 of 61 Old 02-06-2005, 04:52 PM

mamafae I'm sorry you had such a rough trip.

AmiBeth

#26 of 61 Old 02-06-2005, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the support! After a lot of thought, some journaling, and discussion with DH I am starting to understand my mom's attitude a bit better. I have come to the conclusion that after years of not being allowed to express emotion herself, first by her father then by my dad, she is having to learn how to do it appropriately. So stuff comes out harsher than she would want if she took time to think it through. We've talked a lot on the phone and thinks seem to be back to the way they were before her trip.

On a brighter note, Austin felt little one move last night! Now he can't stop touching my belly. He is soooo excited about having a baby sister. He is always asking questions and wanting to watch his own birth video. It is so sweet.

Blessings,
Nichol
#27 of 61 Old 02-07-2005, 10:58 AM

morning mamas!

Wow - what a trip, MamaFae! Given the circumstances, it sounds like you did the best you could. I remember during my last pregnancy I could not stand my MIL. Normally we get along just fine but while I was pregnant, everything about her drove me nuts! Glad to hear things seem to be getting back on track with your mom.

Warning - rambling thoughts ahead.... Well, my weekend was ok. I got some sewing projects done but I also felt really crappy most of the time. Especially on Sunday. I keep trying to figure out if I am having pre-term labor signs, just really wicked braxton hicks, have some other infection that's causing the BH or what. It is driving me crazy and at times scares me and makes me doubt my ability to keep this baby in. I did not feel this way with dd - even when I was further along than I am now. The BH don't really hurt like labor contractions, but they are definitely significant and make it hard to do whatever I am doing at that moment. With dd, I really only had BH if I clearly over-exerted myself but this time, I can have one just getting out of my chair at work. I have been trying to drink lots of water but I have probably not rested as much as I should. I keep wondering if I have a UTI or something but I don't have any classic UTI symptoms or a fever or anything like that. Maybe my insides are just so squished right now.... not sure. Sometimes I also feel sort of achy in my belly -- not tight like a BH but just sort of sore. It's weird. I have my regular appt on Thursday. If I feel tons worse before then, I'll call the clinic. Oh, and this has been going on for about 10 days. If this sounds familiar to anyone, please chime in -- in some ways, the mental stress is the worst part. I think if I know that this is just how I will feel but that it doesn't mean the baby is coming or there's a big problem, I can live with it. It's the not knowing.

Oh, and I was ready to string dh up by his toes yesterday. It started when he woke up and saw that I was already up working on sewing projects (this was at 6:00). He made some comment about me being crazy for getting up early and sewing. Well, I don't get my weekend days plus one or two weekdays "off". Dh is a WAHD but his business is seasonal and so it has begun to slow down already - not much to do there. So, while I'm WOH, he cares for dd. It really is a great system and I don't want to change it. But sometimes he fails to realize that I don't ever have my own time off. When I'm not at my office, I'm caring for dd at home - evenings, weekends, my one weekday off. I don't get to do whatever I want. Granted, dh pitches in on the days I am home but I am the primary person watching dd. If I want to go shopping, dd comes along; if I want to make cookies, dd helps or I do it when she naps. She's along for the ride with whatever I do. I manage to play with her, read books, clean the house, cook food for the week, and try to get some other projects done. Yesterday dh spent part of the day working on iceboat stuff and at least 2 hours on the internet. Now, I can use the net at work but still. Arggghhhh. Well, sorry for the vent about my dh. We truly are best friends but sometimes he's so obtuse.

Yeesh, didn't mean to be such a downer on a Monday morning. Hopefully we'll all have a great week!
#28 of 61 Old 02-07-2005, 01:11 PM

Happy Monday Mama's

MamaFae- Sorry you had such a rough trip with your mother.

Shatz- I hope things are ok for you and you feel better soon.

I went for a walk this morning but it was really short ~1/2 to 3/4 of a mile. The side of my belly started hurting so I quit. I haven't been exercising the way I should have been. Although it's not a good excuse, the weather has been one reason. It's so nasty dreary and cold outside that it is hard to be motivated. It is in the 50's right now so I took advantage of it. I have been eatting WAY too many sweets. I have decided I have had enough and no more. I feel much better when I eat healthy - mentally and physically. DH and I are throwing away the orange sherbert and heading to the grocery for some fruit and veggies and whole grains. I am worried about not being able to acheive my pre-pregnancy weight and physical level.

DH and I have this friend of ours who is going through some bad times. We feel so bad for him. He works around 70 hours a week (give or take a little) and he came home from work the other night to find his wife and 2 year old son gone (as in moved out). He had no idea she had decided to rent an apartment and move. I know he is devistated but we knew there we some things going on between them. They just did not have good communication. This whole ordeal has made my DH think more about our relationship. He called me at work several time yesterday to tell me how much he loved me and he couldn't wait for me to come home. He's not usually like that. He will tell me he loves me every once in a while. It's funny how things other people go through can make you more appreciative of your life. Dh even told his mother that I was feeling overwhelmed by her participation with the baby (she has her other son's painting and rearranging the house for peanut's arrival). He said he tried to put it as gently as possible but she ended up crying. Well, you must know how this made me feel hearing it. I hate for anyone to feel hurt because of me. I guess it has to be that way sometimes. Unfortunately. On the otherhand, my own mother spoke with me a few times but she is back to ignoring the phone and not speaking to me. She needs SERIOUS help with her depression. My dad will try to convince me she is getting better, but any normal person can see she's not. I guess I just have to deal with it and move on.
Sorry for the long post. It got away from me. I am feeling pretty good but finding I tired out more easily these days.
#29 of 61 Old 02-07-2005, 06:24 PM

I forgot I had a midwife appointment today. Pregnancy brain and all! Just got back. Not so good. I gained three lbs. I know, nothing to freak over usually, but I've been losing consistently and all of a sudden a big gain. Also, my midwife got the results of my u/s this morning and the baby is really big. I told her I had gained and she asked if it stressed me. I said it wouldn't stress me if it didn't stress her. SHe said she was already stressed and I asked why (think it was the woman in labor in the next room) and she said she got stressed when she found out my baby is in the 97%. 9 weeks ago at my u/s she was in the 50%, so that's a big jump. So I have to go for my glucose test (I'm 26 weeks) ASAP. I can't tomorrow, so I'm going Wednesday.

#30 of 61 Old 02-08-2005, 01:36 AM

Thought I would jump in here as I am beginning to feel like I could fit in. I have decided to nickname this little one "Lurch" in honor of the big movements it gives. I think it's just working at getting nice and comfy. Had a twenty week ultrasound, but it was too fuzzy to get a gender. doc said it was due to the fat layer, but I think it also had to do with a lower tech machine. Good news was that my insurance covered it with an office visit copay, not as part of my deductible. (This whole insurance thing is too much for my brain this time).

I have, hopefully, finally got my care providers reassured about my bp. My first visit at 16 weeks my bp was 140/100. I knew this was way out of the ordinary, cuz I had just given blood in July and it was 110/60. but it has consistently been high at the doctors office. So I had gotten my own cuff and was taking it at home and getting normal readings. The one doc I had been seeing calmed down after seeing my readings from home. But the other doc that I hadn't seen since my initial visit was VERY concerned at my last check when it was 150/98. I had my own cuff in the car though, so after the check up, I brought it in and the nurse had me take my blood pressure, it was 140/90. Thank goodness! I never thought I would be happy to see those numbers! She said it was well and truly a classic case of white coat hypertension, and I could go ahead and take it at home and give her my readings before my appt. YAY! I was really beginning to stress over interventions caused by that. The other thing that was scaring the doc is that I have very strong reflex reactions. This is normal for me, but they had no way of knowing that except that I told them that my midwife from a previous preg had mentioned it to me.

Oh, and I am going ahead with the glucose test and hoping that all goes well. I was going to fight it, but after all the drama with my bp, I didn't feel like it was worth it. I have always taken it before and passed the 1 hr. with no trouble. But I am still stressed, this preg seems to be a bit more dramatic than I am used to.

Good to see what is going on in others lives and know I am not doing this all alone.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page