Last trimester - home stretch - March '05 thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Mamas,

The February thread went great for a while and then sort of peetered out so I thought I'd start a March thread.

We should all be in the third trimester now, yes? Yea for us Let's hope these last 8-12 weeks go well for us all. Some of us have been writing about how tired we suddenly are. Last night I made some popcorn for dh before the Amazing Race (yes, we are addicts) started. He wanted me to watch the beginning with him and dd. I told him I was just too tired and cranky and went to bed. I think my short fuse is bothering me more this week than my tiredness -- not sure if my temper is more tied to hormones or exhaustion.... hmmm.... ah, well, I feel good this morning.

So, my OB is finding out just what a rebel mama I am. We have a good relationship but I was nervous last month knowing I was going to refuse the 28-week Rhogam shot and waiting for her reaction. I went in at 27 weeks and had the all the routine stuff done -- the GTT (hate that orange drink), blood draw for Rh+ antibodies, iron levels, etc. Then when they called me to come in for my shot the following week, I politely said I would pass on that and they could protest all they wanted but I wasn't changing my mind. So.... the next day my doc gives me a call at home and we have a chat. It went pretty well after she realized I really did understand what was going on. I just said that based on the studies I have read, the prophylatic shot only reduces the rate of sensitization by 1% and no one has really studied the effects on the babies. And, I don't have any risk factors for sensitization but if that changes (ie., I get in an accident, fall, have to have some invasive procedure done), that I would have the shot and that would be ok because antibodies don't instantly build up. So we're all good there.

Oh, but my doc did make one flippant comment at the beginning when she asked if I was opting out of the shot because I thought it caused autism and that the media thinks that everything causes autism these days. I overlooked that comment since I do think that there is a connection between vaccines, chemicals, environment, etc and autism. I also think the Rhogam shot contributed to my dd's low red blood cell count at birth but I didn't go there either.

So then after I got off the phone, dh asks what the doc wanted. So I told him about my decision to decline the shot. Of course, he hasn't read anything about it so I explained it a bit. He was a bit miffed that I didn't discuss it ahead of time but I pointed out that he wouldn't have put much effort into thinking about it had I brought it up before. But, the bottom line is he's not big on injecting or ingesting extra things in general (he rarely takes aspirin) so he's on board too.

I think this new babe has gone head down. At least there is a lot of action at the top of my belly so unless this kid is doing overhead arm raises with a vengence, I'm feeling feet up high. Yea!

I still have a few house projects to get done in the next few weeks but also have a baby shower for a cousin this weekend and then a big resale to go to next weekend. The resale is run by our local Mothers of Multiples group and it's like going to 50 garage sales in one day. It's amazing. Check for one in your area. Ours is open to the public after the first hour or so. There's an entire high school gym full of clothes.

So, that's what's up with me lately. How's everyone else doing?

~Hope
#2 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 11:07 AM

Hi, Hope! Good for you for sticking to your convictions with your dr. It's really hard sometimes. Things are good here... 29 weeks today. OMG... guess that means 30 weeks next week. When I remember have very pregnant I am and that DS #1 came two weeks prior to his due date, I get little butterflies in my tummy (different from the great big elephant that's in there all the rest of the time)!

This pregnancy really seems to have flown by. My energy is coming in fits and bursts... nothing like the second trimester but I think I'm beginning to nest. Is it too early for nesting? My diaper stash is almost complete. We still need a car seat and I've only gotten a couple of things off my home-birth supply list.

I'm not sure where my baby is... I think, perhaps, he's still all over the place. Sometimes there's movement down under my public bone, sometimes it's up under my ribs, sometimes he's over on the side... basically, he's everywhere. I'm anxious for my midwife visit on Saturday. I'm hoping she call tell me a little more about where he is. I feel around my belly and only get poked and prodded right back!

I still have loads of sewing to do. DS broke my sewing machine last week so that kind of stalled things but I'm ready to get busy again. I kind of feel like I've been procrastinating but I don't think that's it, really. I think it's just harder to get things done this time around b/c I have a toddler to keep up with while trying to prepare, kwim?

Anyway, I haven't participated in the monthly threads... I mean to every month and then I forget and they're already super long by the time I see them. So, I can't wait to chat with you ladies and get to know you better.

Brook
#3 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 11:52 AM

I figure I'll hop on in before this gets crazy long. I have the same problem with getting in here and posting, by the time I remember it's a million and a half pages long.

The baby is like a mini mariachi band in my stomach. Literally pumping everything she's got into various organs. I think it's the oddest when I sit down and I'm stopped short cause of a foot smack center on my rib. Usually I can push it out of the way but she moves it right back! DH can barely get her to move for him. He taps on my stomach to get her attention and he gets nothing. The minute he moves his hand away though hello marching band! :LOL

I have the strangest stretch marks on my chest. They are only there if I don't wear a bra at night and then they disappear about twenty minutes after I get up. I'm not sure if I am imagining them or not but they throw me off every time. Luckily my body has skipped those all together.

We have nothing ready birth kit wise (doing a UC). I have a room (or rooms I should say) that would seem nice to me now but who knows when the time comes. Same with a list of music I put together. I wish I had some great smelling candles. I'm so picky on scent though and the strength of it that I know going out and getting some now would not be a good idea.

We both agreed on no one being here til later. I have tried to convince DH that I don't want anyone here for a few days but he seems to think I am going to want to let his mom come over and cook for us. I told him I will have more than I can handle without his mom (and dad) being there. He keeps trying to say he's done this before......

I thought the baby was going to come closer to the end of the month but now I think it'll be here the first week. We'll see.....she seems to want out pretty bad.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#4 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 12:02 PM

I can't believe how fast the time is going. It seemed to have slowed odwn for a minute but now it is back to flying with the wings in full flight.
I am excited because dh and I have been talking about the circing issue (as you can tell from my sig )and he does not believe it is neccessary and thinks it is silly to have a child circumsised based on looking like the dad. My dh says he feels circumsision has not done him any good. He says when he gets an errection (am I allowed to say that? It is natural for men ) it feels unnatural and the skin is too tight. He said if Peanut wants to be circumsized that will be his choice to make when he is older. He doesn't feel it's right to make a desicion like that for someone else about their own body. So, I am so glad he feels that way because I was a little worried when I brought the issue up. We know not to bring up the issue with the older generation. They have this belief that it has to be done and is a serious health issue. He told his mother a while ago that we weren't going to have it done (he said it jokingly - sort of to fill her out on the issue) and she said "You are too going to have that done!!!" What a surprise she will have!!!!
I asked dh if her opinion on it is going to make him change his mind and he said "No, it's not anyone else's child, it's ours" I am glad we are seeing eye to eye on this.

I am not having the Rhogam shot either but that is because dh and I are both Rh- I have not done any research on the issue because it really hasn't been neccessary in our case.

I think this peanut is all over the place still but I mostly still feel movement down low. Sometimes I feel tickles in my rbs but not as often as I do on the side or down low .... soon as I say that I feel something in my rib
I hope he turns head down very soon. I am going to have positive thoughts about it.

How is everyone else's week going?
#5 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 12:18 PM

I'm glad we are having a girl. The whole circumcision issue doesn't apply to us yet, however his first son isn't. His ex-wife beat him on that one.

I'm not getting any shots done for a myriad of reasons but one of them is : I HATE getting shots. My nerves aren't right (I think). You know when the doctor pushes the needle in how your skin indents before it breaks and then the needle is in? I feel the break in my skin and everything but once the needle is in I feel nothing. (I also feel nothing when they take the swab in a pap and everyone else I know can). Childish I'm sure but the pain is a lot more than I can take (usually only on things going in...never coming out....I think I'm wired backwards).

The issue getting to me lately is vaccinnations. We don't plan on doing it but his mom works at the health clinic here in town and I'm afraid she'll try and push us on it. She already thinks we live slightly off the wall. I know she won't scream or anything but I'd rather avoid all battlefronts on that one, kwim?

DH did ask me not to bf in front of friends (due to their wandering eyes and free flowing comments) so once again I am nervous about that. I know I can do it but I don't feel like I should have to leave the room if I don't want to. I guess it won't too big a deal though, I plan on having her in a sling as much as possible and I can just use the tail to cover myself. Dumb boys anyways!

Give more**Expect Less
#6 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 12:52 PM

Circumcision was pretty much a non-issue with us. DS #1 is not circ'd and it hasn't even been disscussed with this babe.

I'm electing not to have Rh shots either (unless necessary for the same reasons already listed) or glucose. I can't decide about Hep B, though. We'll see... still have a few weeks to decide.

I think I may be starting to nest... isn't 29 weeks too early for that? Maybe I'm just imagining things.
#7 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Re: shots -- only Rh negative women with Rh positive husbands have to worry about Rhogam. My doc has been around long enough that she's seen one case of sensitization (where an Rh+ baby's blood mixes with the mom's negative blood and the mom builds up anti-bodies; this becomes a problem in later pregnancies) but they were pretty sure the blood mixing happened due to a serious fall. So, anyway, I'm a rebel because I question standard practices.

re: vaccines -- I was a lemming until my dd was 11 months old when I heard about the chicken pox vax -- I said "why vax for that?" Then I questioned them all. Dd hasn't gotten any since the six month round. This is another area where dh goes along with me. I think deep down he agrees that vaxes aren't all good but he doesn't really know why and hasn't done the research. But, I am very stubborn about this so he doesn't push much. He knows I've done the research. My parents sort of know that we stopped vaxing. I know my dad would agree with me but my mom is more trusting of modern medicine. But, she is also not pushy so she doesn't say anything. We haven't told other people.

re: breastfeeding in front of others -- once you start doing it and get comfortable, it will be no big deal. I've actually pumped in front of friends, family and even on an airplane sitting next to a stranger - it would have been easier to nurse my baby but she was at home. Pumping discreetly is much harder :LOL

re: circ -- I need to get dh on board with this too (not circing that is). I'm going to order the articles that Fleiss wrote for Mothering. I think it will be pretty easy to sell dh on this. :

Since I first became a mom, I've been constantly amazed at how people parent differently and make choices in their parenting that I don't expect. Things like bfing vs bottles, vaccines, solid foods, co-sleeping. I think if you all met me in person, you would think I'm some conservative, mainstream mama. But, I'm very much not mainstream in that regard. But, then I have friends who I would expect to be much more into AP and NFL but who only barely parent in that way (usually bf for a year because they should and that's it). Anyway, I'm just always surprised and I have been surprised by the kind of parent I have turned out to be and want to be.

Just my musings for today.
#8 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Bee
I'm electing not to have Rh shots either (unless necessary for the same reasons already listed) or glucose. I can't decide about Hep B, though. We'll see... still have a few weeks to decide.
Please read about HepB before you let the docs give this vaccine. There is NO rush at all -- it is only given at birth to "catch" people before they fall into groups at risk (drug users and people with multiple sex partners). We know so little about the immune system of a newborn .... anyway, I encourage you to read up on this. I would agree to Rhogam, vit K, eye drops, PKU test, etc. before I would let them give my newborn a HepB vax.

I hope I didn't offend -- just wanted to raise the point.
#9 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 01:44 PM

Breastfeeding -This woman I know had a baby at the end of December. She b/f for about a 1-2 weeks and quit. She said was through with it but she tried and it just wasn't for her Then I found out yesterday that she is already feeding her baby cereal. Isn't it a little early for this or am I misunderstood? I thought babies were supposed to be on the bottle (if not b/f) until they were at LEAST 6mos and it is recommended longer than that before introducing foods. Not that it is my business to judge someone else on how they raise their child
#10 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 01:46 PM

I was just talking to my stepmom and she asked what we are doing about a midwife since our moving plans have changed. So I told her we still have the same plan, no one attending but us. We got to talking and she knows we are doing cloth and what not. She told me we were hippies. I laughed and said no we're not. She said yup, just with a different name. :LOL

I'm not worried about bfing. I'm worried for my husband. He'd like me to leave the room or whatever but if I had my way I would walk around butt naked all day long!!! Too bad we have pervy friends who can't keep their comments to themselves (hence the please don't nurse in front of so and so).

His mom makes me nervous and I'm not sure why. She tandem nursed with her first two (the babies were born the same day but one was adopted) because the adopted baby wouldn't eat anything (my FIL force fed my mil's boob to her.....at least that's how the story has been told to me with some major blushing going on). :LOL

Give more**Expect Less
#11 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet005
Breastfeeding -This woman I know had a baby at the end of December. She b/f for about a 1-2 weeks and quit. She said was through with it but she tried and it just wasn't for her Then I found out yesterday that she is already feeding her baby cereal. Isn't it a little early for this or am I misunderstood? I thought babies were supposed to be on the bottle (if not b/f) until they were at LEAST 6mos and it is recommended longer than that before introducing foods. Not that it is my business to judge someone else on how they raise their child

I asked the same thing the other day (a similar situation...the women's baby-originally exclusivly bf'd- "ate all the time" and wanted to know if she could put cereal in a bottle. Everyone she knew was doing it and it had happened to her and she was fine. What was the big deal?) and I got told that that is too young.

Give more**Expect Less
#12 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 02:13 PM
nym

Hey everyone...

Sounds like everyone is doing good. I saw my midwife yesterday, and I am doing good too! Am 31 weeks, and the baby is head down on my right side (hasn't changed positions in a few weeks now) and is nice and big (by feel)

I havent been doing much nesting, although my friend dropped off 5 garbage bags of girls clothes last night, so I sorted through those, putting aside the ones I wanted and packed the rest up. I have a ton of boys clothes from DS, so I was worried about girls stuff, not I dont have to be!

I'm slowly trying to wean DS before this baby is born, as I dont think Ill be able to tandem (emotionally etc), it is only half arsed working. I'm not pushing it too hard, and wont be too terribly upset if he doesnt wean, btu I would like it if he did.

I've been trying to cut sugar out of my diet, I did really well yesterday until my friend brought me a bag of mini eggs! : but today is a new day. I'd like to do a solid week of no refined sugar, and then take out breads.. and so forth. One reason I am working on this is to decrease my chance of geting PPD, sicne sugar is a main contributor. I am worried I will have PPD since I have depression now after seperating from my husband and being a single mama, etc.

I have been doing a ton of walking, since I don't have a car, and have lost a little bit of weight, well more that I haven't gained any. I have gained 4 pounds since xmas... so I am very happy about that. I find it is getting hard to walk at my normal speed and length, now that my hips are all soft and spready. But, I keep going!

Well, thats it for me!
#13 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 02:26 PM

A baby's digestive system is not mature enough for solids until at least 4 months. That said, the best idea is to just follow a baby's cues. When they start grabbing for food, let them try a little. I can't think when DS actually got interested - I think we tried him out around 6 months. My little sister, on the other hand grabbed a bunch of mashed potatoes and shoved them in her mouth when she was just 3 months old.

To first time moms - everything you need to know about how to take care of your baby, your baby will teach you. It's nice to have something like The Baby Book for a reference and of course a doc in place for emergencies, etc. but in general, the babies know what they need and they will tell you.

This babe is still all over. Her head had been down, but she flipped to transverse again last night. I think she's at some weird angle but down right now. It's hard to tell sometimes. Once she's a lot bigger, I'll be able to feel for the back and can tell, but it's hard to feel from my position when she's still fairly little. She's not really little though, because she makes such a ruckus!

I have all the clothes and diapers I will need for the first three months. I have a car seat from DS and I just bought a car yesterday that I'll be picking up on Saturday. Everything is pretty much washed and put in drawers too, but I should probably organize it all better before the actual arrival. As it is now, DS takes precendence, so his stuff is everywhere. I'll need to get my rubbermaid tubs out of the basement and switch around the older baby stuff and the clothes that DS has outgrown. I also had wanted to get him potty trained, but he's just not interested enough, so I'm not sure that it's going to happen. I haven't really tried too much at all, but I didn't think it was worth it to force the issue. I did not want to have two in diapers though, that's for sure. Oh well.

I haven't ordered my birth kit either, but I will probably wait on it for a few weeks to see where I'm at financially since I'm buying this car.

I'm definitely not ready for this baby yet, so it's good that I've got a little time. My baby shower is on the 19th, and I will be 29 weeks +5 days then. I'm 27 weeks +2 days right now. Time is flying by pretty quickly. Once DH is out of school, we'll be all ready, but then he'll be tremendously busy. At least he won't have to leave the house though.

I'm totally babbling now.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#14 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 02:36 PM

I should get a move on. I don't have a crib or anything! I have diapers (I'm not sur ehow long they'll last me) and I have clothes and I have boobs but other than that nothing is done. Clothes are still in boxes and her room is yet to be done. I only have ten weeks left!!!!

I don't know what position the baby is in, I can guess but I'm not sure. I can feel the back though...she pokes it out of my side so I get to be lopsided.

We have a car seat but no car. It's ugly too and I hate it! I have it in the box still. It was given to me at my baby shower (which was early cause it was thrown by my sister who is due any time now) so I feel bad about being so picky about it. Oh well, not like we go anywhere really.

Give more**Expect Less
#15 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 02:45 PM

I'm still hanging in there. I noticed yesterday (I check my own cervix) that I've started dilating a bit. I'm only 1cm and not terribly concerned. I could stay this way for months, lol. The baby is definately head down, I can feel his head through my cervix.

I still haven't bough anything for this baby. I feel like I need to get on the ball, especially if he decides to come early, but then I realize that if he comes early it won't matter because he'll be in the NICU anyhow. I think I'll start shopping in the next couple weeks. It stresses me out not to have a single baby item!

The circ'ing issue is definately a big one in this house. My oldest ds was circ'd because I didn't know any differently. The 20 month old wasn't circ'd, much to my dh's dismay. In fact, he still insists that ds will be circ'd. Now that we're having another boy we're doing the same old argument and he refuses to read anything contrary to what he believes, which is: it's cleaner to be circ'd, baby will have a funny looking penis if he's not circ'd, boys in the locker room will make fun of him, I don't know what it's like to be a boy so how can I make that decision, blah .

Otherwise, we are doing very well. Baby moves like crazy. I feel pretty good, though I have a head cold so I sometimes feel like I'm in a tunnel. Dh's job seems to be going well so far. The kids have been amazing at helping out around the house with me not being able to do much and have been horribly understanding
#16 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 02:46 PM

Why do you need a crib?

#17 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annakiss
Why do you need a crib?
Where else is she going to store all the toys and clothes??
#18 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wende
Where else is she going to store all the toys and clothes??
Good point! :LOL

#19 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 02:52 PM

Why do I need a crib?

Cause my stepmom said I could have hers and now she's having a spaz attack about her baby "not being a baby anymore" and I am enjoying myself! :LOL Mean I know, but damn it's fun!

We actually don't need it since we plan on co-sleeping for awhile anyway. I think I want one though so I can have the "cute little baby room" thing. I want a nursery so bad (make room for baby is a BAD show for me). For some reason if I get that crib I can rest easy and know I have everything (even if I don't)...make sense? I'm not sure it does to me. :LOL I feel so prepared otherwise I feel like I need something to fret over.

Give more**Expect Less
#20 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

if you have a crib then you can easily make it a side car if you need more room for co-sleeping! That's what I did and it worked great! Right now mine is stored in the attic until this little one gets bigger and we need more room (and I couldn't get in and out of bed anymore with the crib attached nor could I change the sheets).
#21 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 05:49 PM

Wow! I feel so behind some of you. No dresser, no room for a dresser (need to clean out the older kids room to make room!LOL! we have small home!) Lets see, no bed for baby (other than ours, I really want a side car!) I have 2 cloth diapers, 2 onsies, 2 caps, 2 shoes, 1 blanket. That is it!!!
But really, I am not worried. I will get it together by May, I am sure. I do have friends holding stuff for me. DH still needs to clean the garage & find the small amount of stuff I kept from the first round. I know the outfit she will wear when she makes her debut! Just have to find it!

I am 28 weeks today, I think. Baby girl is moving & groving & getting so much bigger. I am a bit stressed about my boobs though. I need growing boob vibes, ladies. I do not have much growth, not much veining (I am taking monthly pictures, so I know). I am working on my visulizations. I will start goats rue at 32 weeks. I need to get that ordered. Please pray, send vibes that my boobs grow milk trees!!!!!

I was stressing about my decision to homebirth, until I saw the view today. Yep, I have made the best decision to have this baby at home. I will not be violated in a hospital again! When I doubt myself, I will flash to that scene where the stirrups were pulled out! YIKES!

Really busy with the upcoming LLL conference, whoms committee I am on. Conference is 5/27-29, I am due 5/25, should be interesting. Actually, I would not mind delivering there. Perhaps, Fliess or Gordon or Sears could do the newborn exam! JK LOL! I am looking for a jewlery vendor for crunchy/earthy, Breastfeeding/doula/midwife jewelry. Anyone know of one??? Also may need like a natural organic soap/lotion/salts type person too. (Sorry if this is not appropriate here. Let me know I will remove it.)

I guess that is about it, except I am having major digestion issues. Anyone else? This is TMI, but I am anywhere from being constipated to diarreah in a matter of 24 hours. Seems my tummy gurgles all the time. I don't feel bad, just wierd. Does not matter what I eat, from Banannas to a sandwich. Go figure? Anyone else???

Have a great day ladies!!!!!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#22 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstmomy
I guess that is about it, except I am having major digestion issues. Anyone else? This is TMI, but I am anywhere from being constipated to diarreah in a matter of 24 hours. Seems my tummy gurgles all the time. I don't feel bad, just wierd. Does not matter what I eat, from Banannas to a sandwich. Go figure? Anyone else???
I seem to just have lots of stomach pains (gas I think) -- everything still comes out just fine () Everything is so squished in there.

You sound soooooo busy with the conference - rest when you need to but have a great time!
#23 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 06:02 PM

I just have heart burn. I've never had it before but OMG this is nuts! I feel like a fir is eternally burning in my throat! :

Give more**Expect Less
#24 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 06:12 PM

Hi Ladies!

Wow, it's already March?!?!?!

I can't believe how quickly the time is flying by. My mom came into town this past weekend and we hit all the baby resale shops in town. Well, not all of them because I got too tired and wanted to stop walking around... but most of them anyway. We got a whole bunch of cute little clothes. She also came armed with a brand new diaper bag filled with new clothes and blankets from some of her co-workers. It was so sweet, even though my mom is flying me down for a baby shower that she's throwing for me in April and they'll all be there. They told her they just wanted me to have something now since I didn't have anything at all yet. So I've got 2 drawers filled with clothes so far, and that's it. I'm really hoping to register on-line for cloth diapers and I hope that's what everyone buys me at my shower... we'll see.

I was really excited because DH actually enjoyed looking at baby stuff. Up until now, he always got so annoyed when I would look at baby stuff. When I mentioned my suprise that he wasn't complaining he said that it was time to start looking since it's getting so close and that before he just feltl like it was still too far away. Our friends just had a baby 2 weeks ago, and the daddy brought baby Eva in to visit DH at work the other day. He had her in a Maya Wrap sling and DH thought that the sling was so cool (woo hoo)!! He even went so far as to pick out the color he likes best. He said he would much prefer to sling the babe then push it in some chunky stroller. Wow, that shocked me, but no complaints on my end

Anyway, I've been feeling pretty good lately. I've been getting more and more tired. My ankles are always swollen, and I've been getting heart burn. But other than that, I'm just enjoying all the movements inside my womb.

11 weeks left...

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#25 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I can't decide about Hep B, though.
Mistyped.... meant GBS.
#26 of 74 Old 03-02-2005, 11:26 PM

Big OOPS! Sorry Mama Bee for not reading all the replies before I opened my big mouth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Bee
I can't decide about Hep B, though. We'll see... still have a few weeks to decide.
I did with DD who was born at 32 weeks and I am convinced (after some of the reading I have done) that it is one of the reasons that she had such a hard time with her jaundice. Her bilirubin numbers got dangerously high and had to be under lights for almost 2 weeks.

The Hep B shot is not neccessary this early.... babies are NOT at risk The shot is metabolized in the liver... and a newborn liver already has a lot to do, why make it work harder than it has to?

Just my personal opinion of course
#27 of 74 Old 03-03-2005, 02:55 AM

Prepare??? Whats that??? We don't have a car seat, a crib, a dresser (for any of the kids), no clothes....in general nothing except diapers and blankets. I am not buying clothes for this baby yet since we have no clue what we are having yet. I don't plan on buying a crib for this one until later....a dresser or a nice changing table with storage would be nice though. I still have DSs bassinet that he never slept in in case i need it. I have a few newborn boy outfits and a couple newborn girl outfits ready and waiting....just enough to get through a few days.

I got my car "paid off" today. I traded my laptop for the payout on the car. So we can now go look to trade it in on a van that we need. There is no way to fit 3 car seats in my car. DH is wanting to get something very close to new. Which would mean more debt and a longer payoff. I want to get something a couple years newer than what we have and only owe $2000-$3000 on it. Really i just wish i could keep my car. I like my car. But...i seriously doubt we could come up with a good downpayment before the baby gets here. It is all a moot point right now anyway because i refuse to even go looking for another vehicle until we are doing a little better off and not struggling so bad. The car is totally in my name so he really has no say so in it at all. (if i want to be a stubborn mule about it)

I haven't been sleeping. I mean...not sleeping at all. For a while i was sleeping very sporadically. 2 or 3 hours here and there. The past few nights though have been a nightmare for me. I am VERY tired and sleepy and i go lay down. As soon as i lay down my mind starts reeling. Going 100 miles per hour. If i manage to drift off at all i go into this hyper dream state. I dream very hyper sped up exhausting dreams. I wake up out of breath. I toss and turn constantly. My heart races. I just can't sleep and get any rest.

I have also been having a good deal of depression. Anger issues, lack of motivation, totaly loss of appetite. I called my midwife the other day. We talked for over an hour...more like two friends than patient and midwife. She told me of the depression she has faced and listened to me so closely. I really FELT her listening to me. She is mailing me out some sample meds to see if they help me. I haven't got them yet...but she only mailed them Monday. I live over 4 hours away so it wasn't feesible for me to run over to her office and pick anything up. She said she felt horrible for not picking up on the little signs the last time she saw me. She said thinking back she should have noticed it. I my midwife. In a way i think it is good she didn't notice. If (and i didn't at the time)i didn't think i had a problem then i would just get defensive and not cooperate. It is best to let me figure things out on my own i guess.

Good news...The baby is doing great. Kicking and punching and generally making me miserable :LOL I am supposed to go see the midwife on March 7th but i am going to have to reschedule because DH won't be back in town yet then. We are working on getting him through the house for a couple days sometime around the 18th. That will be a month away from home for him. After this visit (at the midwife) we will be going every 2 weeks. I am thinking about asking her if we can just do one more one month visit and then go 2 weeks. I think she will agree to that considering how far i have to travel, our money situation and the fact that it is hard to get DH home so often. Not to mention so far this has been a text book picture perfect pregnancy. I would LOVE to go up to see her more often. I love going there. I think that is a very good thing. I am VERY comfortable at the birth center. I go in and it feels more like a close friends home than a clinic to me. I am always very relaxed there. I always end up sticking around for about 2-3 hours everytime i go...just chatting and sitting around.
#28 of 74 Old 03-03-2005, 03:35 PM

I also can't believe how time has flown this pregnancy. Perhaps its just chasing my 1 yr old around..who knows.

I'm doing pretty good. I've still been having BH Contractions..sometimes I have a lot, sometimes I don't. Today I've been feeling really Blah, but part of the reason I think is because its been really hot here at work.

I'm semi-prepared for this baby. A few weeks ago I went and bought some cute little girly outfits. My mom had bought some too. And I've gone through all of Elijah's old stuff and pulled all the outfits that are "okay" for a girl to wear...lots of onsies and such. I'm going to go to a "momswap" thing at a local church, and see what else I can dig up! (hopeful for maybe some gently used CD's...but not holding my breath). We don't have another dresser or anything. I think I'm going to clean out half of Elijah's and use half for him and half for Azalyah. And the crib...that has NEVER been slept in that currently houses the dozens of blankets we got for Elijah (apparently the "perfect" shower gift or something)...its being turned into a co-sleeper and moved into our bedroom, that way we have enough room for Elijah AND Azalyah.

Circ - Elijah's circ'ed. We have religious beliefs about it though...which was our basis, and was circ'ed by a Jewish Dr..(which can actually make a difference as far as the "pain" goes...not that it takes it away.)

The eye drops...what are they for?? I've been thinking about this a lot. I can't even remember if Elijah got them or not, but I've been wondering why they give them.

I've got to get my birthing center papers filled out. Then I'm all ready to go. I have to make it to 37 weeks before I can deliever there...so here's hoping she sticks in there long enough! lol. I'm excited about having a water birth this time...and really hope it doesn't make me sick again.

Who was it talking about sugar and PPD. I've never heard that....do you have a website or something I can read about it? I was shocked about my PPD last time. I knew it existed, but didn't realize how BAD it could be. Now that I hear about sugar..it kind of makes sense. I have a major sweet tooth!!

Sorry for the lack of personals. I was more than half done reading the posts before I realized that I should have been taking notes or something.
#29 of 74 Old 03-03-2005, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomAnita4Jesus
The eye drops...what are they for?? I've been thinking about this a lot. I can't even remember if Elijah got them or not, but I've been wondering why they give them.
To prevent infections in babies whose moms have STDs. Some states/hospitals seem to be really insistent (based on other threads I've read here) on forcing people to have them even when the mom has been tested and has no STDs. Often times, you can waive them by signing a form or something. I don't know if my dd got them either. She was a premie and taken to the NICU right away. But, when I saw her an hour later and then later that night, her eyes looked fine so I think maybe they did not give them to her. I plan to do everything I can to skip them this time.

I also want to figure out how to delay the PKU until the one-week checkup. They had to redo my dd's test because they did it too early and premie's often have skewed results. It wouldn't have been so bad except that we had a completely inept lab tech at first and dd was screaming as he squeased her poor little foot. He never did get enough blood. So then a female tech came in who obviously had been a tech for a lot longer than the guy and she used a glass tube and got more than enough blood without so much as a peep out of dd.
#30 of 74 Old 03-03-2005, 04:29 PM

I was going through clothes last night since I have two boxes of them. I have so many onsies!!!!! I could fill a million drawers with them!

It kind of sucks though, I have so many cute clothes but they are for all seasons. I have a lot for the actualy season the baby will be born in but then I have things like an outfit 0-3 months but it's for winter! It's a baby's first chrsitmas dress thingy. Very cute but very bad season to wear it in!

Anyone else feel like their stomach is going to split down the side? I know I have ten more weeks to grow and my stomach can and probably will stretch more but right now my sides feel so tight I'm not sure there is room to grow!!

Give more**Expect Less

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page