my hospital is actually cool - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-11-2005, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So..... I'll be birthing this baby at the same hospital where I had dd. I had a good experience with that -- as good as I could considering I showed up at 34 weeks with amniotic fluid running out of me like a river. But, because of the membrane rupture and the premature delivery, I had to have monitors, stay in bed, IV antibiotics, etc. I really don't know what it's like to have a normal birth at this hospital (well, friends have told me but I don't know first hand).

So, I brought this up with my doc (yes, I'd LOVE to use the one free-standing birth center in town but it's not covered by my insurance and dh isn't ready for that -- maybe with #3 if #2 stays in to term). She said they don't do routine IV's, episiotomies (which I figured since they didn't even bring it up when I had dd - no thank you), you can move around all you want, use the tub, whatever. I didn't ask specifically about positions for pushing but I got a good vibe in general.

Then, I just checked out the website for the hospital birth center to find out what time they do the tours (so I can go and hammer the nurses with questions since the doc is really there for about 10 minutes) and I see that they have an on-line birth plan form. I was afraid they wouldn't even pay attention to plans (having heard horror stories about hospitals and not having had one the first time around). The issues they list in the plan are all things I am concerned about and I now have a nice feeling about this.

Now, if only I can keep this baby in long enough and keep my bag of waters in tact!

Just had to share that I feel lucky to have a progressive hospital when so many are still in the dark ages.
#2 of 6 Old 03-14-2005, 10:05 PM

I am glad to hear you are feeling good about your hospital! It totally helps when you can be in a place that makes you feel safe.
#3 of 6 Old 03-14-2005, 10:42 PM

That's great! My hospital actually mentioned birth plans on the tour, too. They must be becoming much more common. Do most people go to the hospital with a birth plan these days?

I am going out of network to go to a more baby-friendly hospital. Hard decision, but I think it will be worth it. The one that is covered 100% is definitely behind the times, especially for mother-baby separation. I know I'm the boss when I get there, but it is so worth it not to have to fight and argue about these things.
#4 of 6 Old 03-15-2005, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightly crunchy
Do most people go to the hospital with a birth plan these days?

I am going out of network to go to a more baby-friendly hospital. Hard decision, but I think it will be worth it. The one that is covered 100% is definitely behind the times, especially for mother-baby separation.
I think more people are bringing birth plans with them. I just wasn't sure how seriously they are taken by the hospital staff.

Wow - I'm lucky that the two hospitals here in town that have birth centers (the univ teaching hospital does not do maternity) are both pretty progressive. I wouldn't want to have to make a decision like yours. But, it sounds like you've made the right choice.
#5 of 6 Old 03-15-2005, 06:05 PM

Hey, I just wanted to give you some good full term vibes. My first was born at 34 weeks due to my water breaking for unknown reasons. Anyhow, I just gave birth to my second baby, one day shy of 39 weeks.

You can have a full term birth after a premature birth! You can do it!

Also, good luck with you're hospital birth.

Gen
#6 of 6 Old 03-15-2005, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marysmama
Hey, I just wanted to give you some good full term vibes. My first was born at 34 weeks due to my water breaking for unknown reasons. Anyhow, I just gave birth to my second baby, one day shy of 39 weeks.

You can have a full term birth after a premature birth! You can do it!

Also, good luck with you're hospital birth.

Gen
Thanks for the encouraging words! Although I am prepared for another pre-term (just in case), I am sending this baby lots of "stay in to term" vibes. Heck, I'd even take 35 or 36 weeks. My SIL had a 35 weeker for her first baby and a 38 weeker for her second. The bummer was that her water broke first both times.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page