breech....why does it matter??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-13-2005, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So at 33 weeks this little guy is still butt down...sometimes feet down too (this hurts!) and sometimes feet above his head.
I am not stressed yet, but I have no idea what the "Policy" is at my OB office.
I would prefer to just let things go and there is NO WAY IN HELL I am going to schedule a cesarean.
I am thinking I need to do some reading before my appointment on Wednesday to be able to have a conversation with the OB.

I never even considered this before.....
I think there is plenty of time for him to turn and the U/S tech said there was plenty of fluid for him to move around in. I just want to be prepared, when I go to my appointment and they read the U/S report.

At least my cervix is still long and the stitch is holding great.
I can't believe that they are going to take it out in a little more than 3 weeks!
I am sooo not ready yet!!!

Thanks

Nina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2005, 04:13 AM

The natural birthing things I have read talk about being aware of it starting at 34 weeks, and if baby is breech then start considering doing some things to get him to turn. Do some searching on the MW archives at gentlebirth.org.

I think by 34 to 35 weeks if my babe was breech I would try doing some different positions to get him to turn. Maybe checking into a chiropractor who knows the Webster technique.

http://breechbabies.com/turning.htm
Old 03-13-2005, 04:14 AM

If they give you the stuff about the baby getting too big to move, hold your ground! I had an emergency section with my first baby, because he turned breech when I went into labour. His presentation had been fine on Wednesday at the doctor's office - I went into labour Thursday night, and when I went to the hospital, they discovered he was breech.

My second baby also went breech not long before her due date, and I let myself be talked/bullied into a scheduled section two days later. Ever since, I've wished I stood my ground and at least waited for labour to see what would happen.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 03-13-2005, 02:10 PM

I know two people who used ancupuncture (35weeks and the other did it at 36 weeks) for a breech baby, and the baby ended up head down (one had been breech throughout the last half). I am not sure if you are into this or down with it, but its worth checking into.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:18 PM

I turned from transverse to double footling breech in the delivery room at 41+ weeks. I was 9lbs 13oz. Stand your groun and at least make them give you your full chance to have the baby turn. Babies can and do turn at the last minute.

Now as for why it matters there are a few issues. You're at a great risk of cord prolapse. If you were in preterm labor your cervix might not have to dilate fully to deliver the body and then wouldn't be sufficiently dilated to deliver the head. For a woman without a tested pelvis the pelvis might not be wide enough to deliver the head. It all comes down to malpractice issues as far as I can tell. In my case having had three big babies I'd be hard pressed to accept a section due to breech positioning. I'd definitely try all the tricks I could including an external version. But there's still plenty of time for your baby to flip so keep thinking positive thoughts!

good luck
robyn
Old 03-13-2005, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
there is no medical reason for a baby to be born via c-section just because she is breech. that being said, most OBs and midwives nowadays are not trained to deliver breech babies (because they are automatic c/s), so make sure you find someone who is trained to deliver breeches. there was a great article about it in mothering mag a feww months (or years) back by ina may gaskin.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

Old 03-13-2005, 03:12 PM

I have heard of mamas using spinning babies to turn their babes.
www.spinningbabies.com

Good Luck!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou

User Tag List