Test + : Treat IV Antibiotics During Labor 5 71.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-17-2005, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are you deciding and why????

For me, I will treat proactively before my test. I will use probiotics, garlic & anticeptic wipes before testing. If I test postivie, I am leaning on either oral antibiotics before or Injections during labor. Not sure which. I am just hoping to test negative so I do not have to worry about it!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2005, 03:09 PM

My MW and I don't think there is any reason to test since I have had two neg tests with my boys. There are a lot of things I am doing totally different this time.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:30 PM

No testing for me...of course, my midwife dropped me last week due to a chance that I'll go into pre-term labor and I have my first OB appt today so we'll see how well all my "non testing" flies with them, lol.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:29 PM

I am getting the test (early actually) my second son developed a group b strep infection shortly after he was born (he was preterm 32 weeks) and had to stay in the nicu 14 days to complete the iv antibiotic treatment and he was super sick, I would have much rather had antibiotics during my labor than had him have to have the iv.
that said, I would only do the antibiotics if I tested positive and the baby was preterm (before 35 weeks) I have decided to not get antibiotics if the baby is full term.
I am taking lots of probiotics and garlic so I don't test positve prevention is the best medicine
Old 03-17-2005, 10:37 PM

I have tested + for GBS before, so I do want to test to be sure, but I hate the thought of taking antibiotics unneccesarily as I had a very difficult first couple of months with dd regarding nursing. We had yeast issues that I think came from the antibiotics issues. I had never heard of taking oral before or injectable. Does anyone know the pros and cons of the three antibiotics choices?
Old 03-18-2005, 03:21 AM
Len

I answered test and IV if +, reasons below

crysmom, ds also developed an infection, because of a long and hard labor after AROM :

He was full term and didn't get sick, but he got to be on antibiotics for 10 days though. The policy here is that if you've had a baby with GBS before, you have to have antibiotics, test or not. My MW is pretty understanding, though, and will let me test and do nothing if it's negative. However, if it's positive she'll let me have the IV at home and in a way that I can freely move around (forgot the name for that).

As crysmom said, I'd do it myself before having the baby have it (the IV)

I'm also doing the probiotics which are good anyway, no?
Old 03-18-2005, 04:57 PM

I'm not doing any tests. My midwife says that I show no signs of needing any.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
Old 03-19-2005, 01:42 AM

I was planning on getting tested, but a couple of MW appointments ago I found out I don't even have the option--I had a urine culture done as part of my "screening blood work" done by the OB I started with and since switched from--and it grew out GBS.

The guidelines say that GBS in the urine any time during the pregnancy gets treated as someone who is colonized/positive and does not get retested late in pregnancy.

I was positive with my first birth, and barely remember getting the antibiotics. I know the IV was running when I was in the Jacuzzi tub, so needless to say it did not hinder me much.

I don't like the idea of so many people getting antibiotics during labor, but I also know that studies show that babies born to moms with higher colonization rates, or GBS in the urine, have higher rates of transmission, so I do want to be treated. I am considering using Hibiclens at home in case I don't make it to the hospital 4 hours ahead of time to get the antibiotics. I also will take probiotics the last few weeks of pregnancy, to hopefully reduce babe's chance of getting infected, and afterwards to keep us from getting thrush (no proof that this works, but I don't think it can hurt).

I think I would do nothing at all rather than have oral antibiotics. They don't work but can still cause the same side effects as IV.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:05 AM
nym

I'm taking the test, but I doubt I'll be pos. I was neg with DS. I haven't decided what I'll do if I am pos..
Old 03-21-2005, 02:21 AM

I still have to get a definite answer from my doc, hopefully tomorrow. I don't see the point in testing. I have been pos for some babies and neg. for others. So even if I am pos at 36 weeks, I may be neg at birth and vice versa. So why bother. Even if I am pos. I will not do IV antibiotics without any other warning signs--fever, prom, early baby, etc. I am willing to do chlorhexidine if doc will consider that. So we shall see.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:49 AM

I will test and probably get the IV antibiotics. A couple of reasons. First, I was GBS+ with DD and we think due to this and getting my membranes swept, I came down with an infection (fever, etc) and had to transfer to the hospital, be induced and have antibiotics. This puts me in my mind in a higher risk group - I have been positive before and have contracted something before (though I suppose there is no proof it was GBS that caused my fever). Second, I am having a hospital VBAC, I have some things that are very important to me, that I feel confident I need to do my way and due to the first part this is not one of them - this isn't the battle I want to try to fight during labor. I will be having a hep lock anyway, the antibiotics don't take long to run through the IV (I had plenty of them pre and post birth with DD and it didn't bother me) so I'm going with the flow on this one.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)

User Tag List