Summer newborn clothes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 03-29-2005, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It has suddenly occured to me that this child will need summer newborn clothes (my other two are winter babies). Have you ladies thought about what you will be buying/how you are going to dress the baby for the summer? This is probably one of those last-trimester-silly-obsessions (last time it was creating the perfect shower registry- ha! what a laugh: the hostess didn't mention it to anyone and none of the guests even asked if there was one) but I can't help it... here I am obsessing again. The last thing I want to do is go out shopping with a newborn (who has no clothes except about 30 onesies), a two year old and a 4 1/2 year old. I am having visions of pandemonium at Carter's or Old Navy while I try to find something for the baby to wear. I want to be as prepared as possiable Before the baby comes but I am really unsure about what a summer baby might wear/need to wear.

PS I am a bit clothes obsessed in general so of course I would choose this particular thing to obsess about. Thanks for suggestions/listening ladies.
#2 of 16 Old 03-29-2005, 03:46 PM

LOL, I had the opposite problem with my second baby because she was a winter baby and my first was a summer baby. I basically dressed her in onesies and that's it, so it sounds like you're already set!
#3 of 16 Old 03-29-2005, 04:20 PM

I have had 2 others born in the spring/summertime. For the 1st 3 months.. I use a lot of those cotton knit dress/ sacks/gowns.. with a onesie underneath. ANd also footed, but longsleeve lightweight cotton knit one piece outfits. good for sun protection too.

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#4 of 16 Old 03-29-2005, 05:23 PM

I started obsessing over the exact same thing last night! Both of my boys were born in October & I didn't buy anything for DS2 b/c I had everything from DS1 (which were hand-me0downs from a friend). By now those clothes have been used for 4 babies & are showing the wear, plus since this is my first girl I want some girlie clothes. Why it didn't occur to me before now, I have no idea! :LOL

#5 of 16 Old 03-29-2005, 06:11 PM

I need to QUIT buying clothes :
I have way to many summer outfits.... last night I realised that if I didnt stop most wouldnt get worn cause we dont leave the house enough & at home we mostly do simple onsies

but I am an ebay addict.. I buy little dresses & shorts or capri outfits , name brands, for just a few bucks..

I wish id kept all of Kay's baby clothes.. but I didnt count on having another girly due at the same time of year.. (kay's b-day is 4/28.. Im due 5/2)
#6 of 16 Old 03-29-2005, 06:20 PM

my first two boys were winter babies, Lucas (the third) was my first summer baby and he wore light weight sleepers (cotton) and t shirts with a diaper, I had some weird idea that if he wore pants I shouldn't put socks on him and the other way around (just a diaper throw on a pair of socks) everyone made fun of me and thought he should be just naked with a diaper. and looking back he was always sweaty so I probably did dress him too warm.

for this baby I have 8 newborn sleepers (cotton with no feet) 8 onesies and 2 pairs of pants. I haven't bought any socks they never fit anyway. I have three rubbermaid bins of blankets (anyone need some blankets ) I can't find any nice stretchy cotton pants that I like, anyone have any suggestions?
Because this baby is our first girl I have really gone overboard on the pink.
crystal
#7 of 16 Old 03-29-2005, 06:37 PM

My first son was also a summer baby so I plan to use the same clothes for this one. Except I am getting a few new gowns for the first few weeks, that are made a little roomier than the ones I have (most Carter's and other brand newborn stuff only goes to 12 pounds or so--my first was 12 pounds before he was a month old! :LOL).

I think onesies are more than fine, depending on where you live. That is mostly what I have. And with the big ol' cloth diapers and babe spending most of his day in a sling besides, I think that is more than enough clothing for 80 and 90 degree weather. Maybe a couple of cute outfits with the little shorts or pants for pictures, and that will work for the first few months.

Of course, I could very well find myself wandering around in Old Navy with a newborn and a 3 year old in late May looking for baby clothes after all! But, I will probably be there anyhow, desperately trying on pants and shorts to fit my postpartum body.
#8 of 16 Old 03-29-2005, 11:20 PM

My first was a summer baby. It was soooo hot for her to wear ANY kind of outfit that most of the time she was either in just a diaper or her diaper and a onesie. I have ONE outfit for this baby. It is the coming home outfit. Other than that all i have is white, yellow and green onesies left over from DS.

Of course i am also the person who doesn't even have a car seat yet and no clue how to fit one in my car with the other two. We had intended on buying a van by now but we haven't been able to and won't be able to for a while. My car won't fit 3 car seats in it so i honestly have no clue what i am going to do.
#9 of 16 Old 03-29-2005, 11:50 PM

My summer babies wore a lot of onsies, too. I've gotten a couple of cute summer outfits from a friend, but otherwise it will probably be lots and lots of onesies. They aren't spectacularly cute, but they are functional and cool.

LadyWulf...I haven't bought a carseat yet either. Now that she's been born I should probably get on that, huh? LOL
#10 of 16 Old 03-30-2005, 03:36 AM

I have had 3 summer babies. Cute onesies are about all they wore with maybe a light cotton dress with bloomers for showing off. Usually no shoes. I had a few thin cotton sleepers if the nights cooled off and for the first weeks while they were getting temperature control adjusted, I liked the little gowns with drawstring or elastic at the bottom and maybe some little socks on their feet
#11 of 16 Old 03-30-2005, 10:47 AM

I already have everything leftover from Savanna. She was an August baby. Lots of gowns, onsies, and cute outfits. Summer in Arkansas sucks!!!! So we don't go out often, but when we do the car is quite cool. So is the house for that matter.

Now I just need a carseat.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#12 of 16 Old 03-30-2005, 12:33 PM

I have a TON of 0-3 month stuff now. When DS was born, he pretty much lived in sleepers until he was 6 months old, but this one will probably live in t-shirts or onesies and socks. I think I may have too much honestly. Maybe she'll be like DS and fit into the small stuff even as she surpasses the age range, then I'll get use out of it. Or maybe it'll all be so perfect and new that I can regift it. :

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#13 of 16 Old 03-30-2005, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the imput/ideas everyone. It's probably going to be sweltering in Philadelphia by the time I start leaving the house and onesies and hats should suffice. I forgot about the sling factor, too. I have a Didymos and those things can get hot as heck! I don't think this kid is actually going to even Need clothes.

Ladywulf- what kind of car do you have? We have a rather small Toyota Corolla but believe it or not three carseats Will fit back there (we have our 4 year old in a Britax bodygaurd, which is pretty slim, two year old in a Britax Roundabout and the baby will be in an Evenflo On My Way carrier/carseat thingie) I have even been able to fit two Britax Roundabouts and the Bodygaurd back there. But then is this your third or fourth child?
#14 of 16 Old 03-30-2005, 08:30 PM

It is my 3rd. We attempted to fit 3 convertable seats in there not long ago and it just didn't work at all. I have a 94 Buick LeSabre. I will probably be able to fit an infant carrier in there with the two convertables already in there but i am not sure. Another problem with 3 car seats is that my middle seat belt in the back seat doesn't latch. It is pretty simple to replace....just DH has no clue how to do it and i am physically unable to do it right now. Also don't have the money to buy the replacement.

Wende - You just *might* want to get serious about getting your lil girl a car seat LOL. She will be coming home in no time.
#15 of 16 Old 04-04-2005, 01:46 AM

My babies will both be around the same time (DD was born in april), though opposite genders - we live in the northwest where it doesn't get super hot in the summer. We mostly dressed her in lightweight long sleeved one-pieces until it got warm, then just onsies. Summer is the easy time, heck if you live in a really warm climate you don't need anything but diapers!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#16 of 16 Old 04-05-2005, 04:00 PM

Grace was born in June and we dressed her in short sleeve/shorts rompers, decorated type onsies, and little sundresses mostly. I was inside a lot that summer though because I didn't have a vehicle at the time and didn't really have anywhere to go in the tiny farm town we were living in anyway. Keep in mind that if your baby is very long or very big (Grace was 21 inches and 8 lbs 7.5 oz when she was born), they may not wear 0-3 all summer! After about a month with her big diaper butt and the fact she was pretty long, she wore mostly 3-6 summer stuff. Luckily we kept all of Grace's clothes and they'll be about the right season for the most part so I've only been picking up things here and there that I can't resist but haven't really needed much of anything at all in terms of new clothes for this baby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page