Pets at a homebirth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-31-2005, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As you can tell by my signature, we have a beagle. Those of you that are familiar with beagles, know that they are hyper dogs. Our Chester is very much a part of our family. I am planning a homebirth, and I am worried about all the comotion & how hyper this dog is. (If I go into labor at a decent hour, we will go to my Mom's home to birth. He home is much bigger than ours. She has animals but they can go with her or in the garage, so not an issue.) If I go into labor in the middle of the night, we will stay home, that is my deliema.

It usually takes Chester about 30 minutes or so to calm down. Usually shorter, but sometimes longer. He likes to jump on people (which we work on constantly, but he thinks visitors come for him.) He has a crate, but he will just howl if we crate him when people are here. If he goes outside, the neighbors will not like it as he will howl & scratch to get back in. I have thought about putting him in the kids room, with the door shut but think he will freak out there when there a new people in the house.

I am not sure what to do. Any others blessed with wonderful, hyper excited doggies & how will you/have handled it?

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#2 of 7 Old 03-31-2005, 03:58 PM

We have a harlequin dane and he is very hyper!!!!! He gets so wound up when ANYONE is in the room that his whole body shakes and whips around itself. :LOL I never even thought of how he'd handle it. I was more worried about initating a baby to him (getting a doll that cries and wearing baby smelling stuff to get him sued to the smell) and how he would handle that. Never thought about the birth. I'm curious now as to what we should do. Should be interesting to figure this out!

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#3 of 7 Old 03-31-2005, 05:40 PM

We're going to play it by ear. If our dog gets too excited or upset (she's very sensative to my moods) we're going to take her down the street to neighbors who she adores. I'm hoping she does fine and can just stay here but they are our back up plan.
#4 of 7 Old 03-31-2005, 05:53 PM

Personally i would make plans for a neighbor or friend to keep my dog.

I have 3 large dogs but am not planning a homebirth. My dogs are all crate trained but totally freak out when strangers are in the house. I know i couldn't handle barking and howling while i am in labor.
#5 of 7 Old 03-31-2005, 06:06 PM

As a doula, I can say that I would appreciate people putting their pets out or in their crates or whatever, until after the baby is born.
Some reasons are:
some people are afraid of dogs.
some people dont particularly enjoy a dog jumping all over them. (I have dogs, and I am in this category of people. Dogs with no manners drive me nuts. lol)
A dog can get excited at the thought of a new visitor, and can easily get in the way.
A dog can get upset at someone touching or being so close to his person, and could bite. Yes, even good dogs who would "never" bite can get protective.

Another consideration is way before you are due, to get the dog some manners. Proper obedience training is a wonderful thing, dogs really enjoy it, and it makes for safer pets all around.
#6 of 7 Old 03-31-2005, 06:35 PM

we have a hundred pound black lab, he has a crate (although not to happy about being in it when we are home.) he is fine to be locked in our bedroom and is fairly well behaved after a minute or two of excitement I just want to know how to get rid of all of the hair lol
crystal
#7 of 7 Old 03-31-2005, 10:52 PM

When we had dd, our dog was there. Well kind of. We had her shut in the sun porch, and every time that I moaned, yelled etc, so did Lotus(our dog) we let her out right after dd was born. Although she is not a super hyper dog and has great manners. She listens very well. SO good luck with the hyper ones.

darkstar

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page