BTDT and the hospital bag - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2005, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone who is having a hospital birth and is a BTDT--am I odd? I am soo not worried about what to take to the hospital. Maybe some chapstick and gum, but those are in my purse, my cell phone and digital camera. So about all I need is a going home outfit for baby and my camera. Anything else that I can think of is already in my purse. Oh, and dh suggested a book in case I get bored waiting for discharge, or have trouble sleeping. I guess I feel odd, visiting these boards where people are posting their list for the bag, and it looks like they will be walking in with a wheeled suitcase!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2005, 08:08 PM

I am not packing much:
chapstick
nursing tank
sweats to wear home
robe (since I don't bother wearing pj bottoms after baby is born)
flip-flops (which I'll be wearing to the hospital)
baby's going home outfit
camera
magazines/books b/c last time they took FOREVER discharging me
phone card (cell phones don't work at the hospital where we live)

That's about it~ and I might not bother with the magazines, I'll just have my mom or grandma bring a few when they come visit.

Old 04-03-2005, 08:34 PM

MY OWN TOOTHBRUSH AND TOOTHPASTE!! Have you ever used a hospital one? YUCK!!

lotion
my own pillow that doesn't make noise
nursing bra

clothes and toiletries for my husband (we can leave these in the car until they are needed)

phone list and phone card

snacks!!!

Comfy outfit for going home in and outfits for babies.

Gripper socks

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!
Old 04-03-2005, 08:43 PM

Oops, yeah, I forgot toiletries~ I like to wash up after having a baby.

Old 04-04-2005, 01:15 AM

I am horrible with the hospital bag, last time I didn't pack until my water broke, (at 35 weeks) I still haven't packed one yet, I don't bring much either conditioner, soap tooth brush, pajamas, clothes to wear home for me and baby.
When our last was born I was admitted at night (after my water broke) I sent my dh home to sleep and told him I would call, he came in the next morning, I went in to labor and baby was born, when I got into the car after discharge it was full of all of his clothes and shaver and toothbrush, he was so panicky that he didn't know what to bring he brought everything (LOL) (it was my third baby but his first)
crystal
Old 04-04-2005, 02:32 AM

I like to bring a lot and I was actually thinking this time I will bring a wheeled suitcase - last time I put things in backpacks, etc and my husband had to make so many trips I do that on vacations too - I just like having choices!

But all of it is just for convenience and in case I want it - I used very little of what I brought last time and I could have done without most of what I used, so I don't think there is necessarily a need to worry about what to bring. Even if you end up being there for a bit longer than expected - you just send someone out for what you want. That's what they are there for isn't it?

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Old 04-04-2005, 02:38 AM

Honestly one of the MAIN things i could pack would be some simple, quick and easy to hide snacks for during labor. Hospitals generally don't allow you to eat or drink.

Other than that i would have a change of clothes, shampoo and conditioner (if my hair needed a certain kind), deodorant, tooth brush and toothpaste, going home outfit for baby, books or magazines and a hair brush. All of those things can fit easily into a small bag....or large diaper bag(which is what i used)
Old 04-04-2005, 02:35 PM

Finally getting a chance to chime in here!

I also like choices, so I tend to over pack. I am going to a birth center and things are a bit different this time, but if I were going back to the hospital I would bring the same as I did last time.

Along with the other suggestions (I second the MY OWN PILLOW idea btw ), I would add in some wash cloths of my own with my aromatherapy oils already on them. Also I brought my own nightgown to birth in since I hate hospital gowns.

Blessings,
N~
Old 04-04-2005, 03:10 PM

I second the snack thing, as they starve women in labor in the hospital. Perhaps even hard candy would be nice. Change for the vending machines, because if you deliver in the wee am hours, the only food you will get is instant soup & jello. YUCK! At least a vending sandwhich is real food!! (Unless you can have someone do a food run for you!)

I also brought my own pillow, pajamas or casual clothes for after delivery. Boppy or some nursing pillow. Tolietries, brush, my own shampoo & cond was nice too! Clothes for baby. & my flip flops/slippers. I hate hospital socks!

Bottled H20 is nice too, as I hate tap water!!!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
Old 04-04-2005, 03:10 PM

I have had 3 hospital births and w/each one I packed less & less. My hospital has a really nice "baby friendly" (a breastfeeding certification) birthing wing & they provide practically everything you need. I would say just pack what you need to feel comfortable & nurtured - toiletries, reading material, very loose & comfy clothes to wear home and of course an outfit for baby & camera/video.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
Old 04-04-2005, 08:58 PM

I have the huge list! Haven't packed yet though.

Snacks is a biggie. Protein bars and stuff like that, for me, and for DH (last time they fed me at 3 am, but he got nothing! :LOL)

My own clothes --I was so frustrated with wearing the huge hospital gowns last time and found them difficult to nurse in.

Several pillows with a couple of pillowcases on each one --hate hospital pillows.

own shampoo and toothbrush/paste, face soap etc.

camera with extra batteries and film

birth ball

baby outfit

big brother gift for when ds comes

Cd player with hypnosis CD's and music

page from baby book to get footprints

Not so much, I guess. Knowing me I will probably be throwing it together at the last minute.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:54 PM

I'll be discharged from the birthing center w/in 24 hours if everything w/ the delivery goes normal so I won't be packing a whole lot. I will be packing my own nursing gown (have you ever tried nursing in a hospital gown? I couldn't believe that's what they give you when I had my first daughter : Definately snacks-- I was starving the entire delivery last time and even though I delivered at 4:29, the hospital I had her at served supper at 5 so they expected me to just not eat that night! I was soooooo hungry! Hairbrush, pony tail holder, tooth brush/toothpaste, flip flops, my underbelly maternity shorts and a comfy t-shirt and a nursing bra to leave in, baby's outfit, the babybook for the footprints, camera and extra batteries for it, my own pillow, and some old undies (the pantyhose style underwear with my first delivery were horrible). Oh and some cloth diapers for the cutie.... I think that's about it this time!
Old 04-09-2005, 05:54 PM

Oh and swimming trunks for DH since I'm having a water birth!

User Tag List