April 20 - May Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 127 Old 04-24-2005, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Holy crap! Six days until May?! That hadn't hit me until I read it! :

Cristina~ The baby's bed looks great!

As for carriers, I am getting a Moby (DS his starting at about 3 months), a Stretch Cotton Padded Hotsling (my absolute favorite! www.hotslings.com), and a sling set (www.slingset.com). I might actually get 2 Hotslings, as I am lost w/out mine when it is in the wash! :LOL

#62 of 127 Old 04-24-2005, 05:33 PM

My sling is one made by a mama on here. I can't remeber who though : and I'm downstairs. I'll have to go look when I go back up and then remember for the next time I come downstairs. I love it though! A ring sling made for me! It's purtty too!

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#63 of 127 Old 04-25-2005, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Seems kinda quiet around here today. I guess everyone is either nesting, having babies, or working on various projects (such as a 2 point perspective for school <--- me).

If I make a phone call to anyone they answer with "is it time yet?" I wonder if I can just call people to chat like I always have or if I am only to call when labor starts? I have no clue when this baby is going to come out of his nice warm house. I am excited and anxious and everyday I wake up wondering if today will be the day. I am feeling pretty normal. Still having cramps here and there but nothing new is going on.

Annakiss- Did you guys get some snow this weekend? I keep seeing on t.v about Ohio getting a bunch of snow. It went from 80 on Thurs to the mid 40's on Fri but no snow thank goodness. I am glad we haven't planted our garden yet. We didn't have to worry about tomato plants getting frost on them

I have to go now it's time for class........................
#64 of 127 Old 04-25-2005, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet005
If I make a phone call to anyone they answer with "is it time yet?"
Same here. I finally had to tell my MIL to quit asking. :LOL She did that the first time around, too, and it made me nuts.

All is quiet here. I feel generally blah, but I don't think that means the baby is coming anytime soon. My MIL is flying in Saturday to be on hand as DS's birth partner . My Mother Blessing is Sunday and my sister will be here Wednesday. It would be nice to have all those things happen before labor starting but I could go either way.

Just waiting, waiting....
#65 of 127 Old 04-25-2005, 04:33 PM

I'm having a rough day. I'm tired anc cranky and dd woke ds up from his nap, which means no nap for me. I'm so ready for this baby. I know it's still early, but sometimes I just feel like I can't do this anymore. I am in so much pain, that just basic moving almost brings me to tears. And a cranky mommy, is not a nice mommy.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#66 of 127 Old 04-25-2005, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Velvet005
If I make a phone call to anyone they answer with "is it time yet?"

Same here! Everyone who sees me says, "So is it time yet?"....the gas station lady asked me that the other night. I saw my stepdad today and he asked me to "just get her out already".... :LOL I'M TRYING!!!!! I promise I am!!!! My sister routinely calls to see if I'm in labor. I'm going to quit answering the phone soon. :LOL I woke up this morning with back pain like you would not believe! Nothing I do is getting rid of it and if I sit down the pain just moves. Very annoying. I wish my body would stop teasing me and get it over with already! I hate this feeling...low and crampy but in my back....not supposed to be there.

I read someone that women experience back labor when the baby is positioned a certain way. Anyone know about this? I've tried finding the article again but no luck. I think it may have been a blurb in some magazine. I wonder how true it is. Anyone know?

Give more**Expect Less
#67 of 127 Old 04-25-2005, 04:42 PM
Len

Well no news around here... I went to my chiro this morning and it felt oh! so good... so my pelvis for one is now ready
The weather here has been totally summery and hot! which is good because I can't fit in my warm clothes anymore and I can always borrow DH's t-shirts...
I was planning to do a Mendhi (henna decoration) on my belly today but I don't know if I'll have time... has anyone done this?

On another note, my MW is not pushing but *suggesting* that she strips the membranes starting next week, she really doesn't want me to go very much overdue (I'm going for a VBAC at home) and I understand... but I have mixed feelings about this.... like why should I decide when the baby has to come but I rather have him/her come the nearest to my due date as possible!!! (may 9 is my dd)

I really want a May baby and not an April baby (that's just the way we planned it ) so I'm wishing he/she will wait 6 more days but not more than 15!!!!
#68 of 127 Old 04-25-2005, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizabethian
I read someone that women experience back labor when the baby is positioned a certain way. Anyone know about this?
Have you looked at the Optimal Fetal Positioning site? It has loads of info on... well, fetal positioning. :LOL
#69 of 127 Old 04-25-2005, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizabethian
I read someone that women experience back labor when the baby is positioned a certain way. Anyone know about this? I've tried finding the article again but no luck. I think it may have been a blurb in some magazine. I wonder how true it is. Anyone know?
Back labor and/or slower labors tend to happen when baby is posterior, meaning that the back of their head is facing the mother's spine. Ideal fetal positioning is ROA, I believe - right occiput anterior (occiput referring to back of the baby's head). If you're planning an unassisted childbirth, I'm really quite surprised that you're not more familiar with this. Please don't take that the wrong way, either - it's simply a surprise to me. Have you read Penny Simkin's The Birth Partner? Has your husband? Emergency Childbirth? If you do a search, I'm sure you could find a ton of reading recommendations in the unassisted forum.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#70 of 127 Old 04-25-2005, 05:49 PM

I am sorry so many Mama here are so uncomfortable. I for one feel really good! I guess that is why I have always gone overdue, I feel good & baby wants to stay in!!!!! LOL! I hope you mama seriously find relief really soon.

The only complaint I have right now is sciatica. It is not constant but does keep me from falling to sleep at night. I have taken tylenol for it & if that does not work I take 1/2 benadryl dose & then I can sleep.

We got alot done this weekend, & that makes me feel really good. Had a midwife appt today. Baby is measuring right on, HB in 140's, bp is good & so is my pee!! LOL! My next visit is the home visit.

I am actually really excited about having a baby! Finally I say. It was a long time coming for me.

Lizabethaiin, check out www.spinninngbabies.com OP babies are not fun in labor! My midwife thinks this baby is loa!(yeah!)

Len, I am sure your babe will hold out until May. Only 5 days until May 1 (OMG! that is freaky!!!)

All those getting the "Is it time Yet???" I am so sorry. I would say, yep its time, TIME FOR YOU TO STOP ASKING!!!!!!! Geez! And the ringer off switch is a good thing!

Have a great day Ladies!!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#71 of 127 Old 04-25-2005, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annakiss
Back labor and/or slower labors tend to happen when baby is posterior, meaning that the back of their head is facing the mother's spine. Ideal fetal positioning is ROA, I believe - right occiput anterior (occiput referring to back of the baby's head). If you're planning an unassisted childbirth, I'm really quite surprised that you're not more familiar with this. Please don't take that the wrong way, either - it's simply a surprise to me. Have you read Penny Simkin's The Birth Partner? Has your husband? Emergency Childbirth? If you do a search, I'm sure you could find a ton of reading recommendations in the unassisted forum.

I know about the positioning of the baby and what not and I know how to spin them but I guess I was wondering more if back labor is only present cause of a poorly positioned baby. I have heard of so many women who have it but their babies come out the right direction. I guess I should have wirded it differently, like, "Is back labor only cause by a poorly positioned baby?" Thanks for all the information ladies!

Give more**Expect Less
#72 of 127 Old 04-25-2005, 09:21 PM

Oh! Well in that case! Sorry about that! I was just

um... hmmm... Some women feel labor in the back more than others. Is it always because of a malpositioned baby? I dunno. Often, back labor is found to be the result of a baby who is posterior or has a tilted head or possibly even due to a hand by the head. I had back labor with my son and it didn't slow down my labor at all (I don't think - otherwise I'm in trouble because if this baby isn't posterior, she'll just shoot out after a couple of contractions!!!) or at least not by much. He hadn't been obviously posterior at prenatal examinations either, though he was LOA, which is an easy position to switch to posterior from. Personally, back labor sucked, but it wasn't the end of the world and I simply know labor to be that way rather than some other way. I'd just concentrate on doing things to encourage optimal fetal positioning, but whatever happens, happens ultimately, so I wouldn't worry too much. HTH

#73 of 127 Old 04-25-2005, 10:18 PM

Hmmm, I was thinking that LOA or LOT is actually the optimum, and ROA is the one where they can go posterior more easily, or sometimes they go ahead and shift over to the left during labor. Now I'm confused.

I had a prenatal today and was very excited that baby is on the left now and not on the right. MW confirmed that he has moved down into my pelvis, too. Which I felt, but it was nice to hear that he is positioned well. I couldn't stop from checking myself a couple of days ago, though and was only a fingertip dilated and I don't think effaced at all.

My first labor started with a horrible backache but supposedly he was not posterior. Once contractions started they were mostly in the front, though. I believe there was some other positioning issue with him, though, because it was a very long prodromal and early active labor. I am hoping this one will be a bit shorter.
#74 of 127 Old 04-26-2005, 03:21 PM

I haven't gotten the 'is it time yet' stuff but I've been telling everyone from the beginning we are looking at end of may even June. I tell everyone that the baby will be born for sure by June 10th (42.5 weeks) .

I have all these things I planned to do to prepare and I haven't even started them - I need to kick it into high gear!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#75 of 127 Old 04-26-2005, 06:26 PM

Went to the midwife today. Things are going well. I am dialated to one and 25% effaced. She is LOP, not as bad as ds, just a bit, so still pretty high. Oh and it's a roomy one, she said she can wiggle her finger all around. She suggested some squats to get her lower to put more pressure on my cervix. So we went to the park for dd's pre-school meeting and I climbed in the bounce around with my kids and let all the kids jump around me. I think it might have brought her lower as I am feeling more pressure than I was.

I go on Thursday for a complete biophysical profile. I'm not sure exactly what all that consists of, off to research. But they are going to do an ultrasound to check ehr weight, and check my fluid levels, plus do a non stress test. She said it wasn't because it looks like somethings wrong, just as a precaution because I am higher risk with the gestational diabetes. So I'm ok with that. Although secretly hoping I don't make it to the tests.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#76 of 127 Old 04-26-2005, 08:31 PM
nym

Had my midwife appt today. I am 38w5days. The baby is LOA, has dropped some but not engaged. Next week at 39w4d She will check me and sweep if all is good.
#77 of 127 Old 04-26-2005, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightly crunchy
Hmmm, I was thinking that LOA or LOT is actually the optimum, and ROA is the one where they can go posterior more easily, or sometimes they go ahead and shift over to the left during labor. Now I'm confused.
I'm confused too. I'll have to look that up.

#78 of 127 Old 04-27-2005, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Hello Mama's,

I am closing in on school. Today is the last day for the semester and then next week is finals. I only have 2 projects (one of which is coloring - literally!!) and one test on Tues the day after my edd.
I don't know when the baby will come. I wonder all the time and I wish people would quit asking because I really do not know any more than they do. I do not have a crystal ball that I look into.
Yesterday, I felt a little nauseaus and then my lower back ached and I had cramping and some contractions (at least I think it was contractions) nothing regular though. I did not say anything to dh because I didn't want him to get excited for nothing. I figured I would alert him when I notice regular contractions. So, I am glad I didn't say anything because it all went away and turned out to be BH.
Christina - I forgot to mention how awesome that baby bed is!!! Your dh did a great job
#79 of 127 Old 04-27-2005, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the compliements on the bed. I think it looks great too! DH is really proud of himself as well. Right now the car seat sits on it along with the generous gifts people have given us. Just waiting.

Have a great day!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#80 of 127 Old 04-27-2005, 12:48 PM

I had my 36 week home visit yesterday. I have never made it this far along in my last two pregnancies, so I am kind of excited and surprised. As of next tues, I will be able to have a home birth, so it actually seems like it might happen.

We have the baby's room all decorated, and everything is pretty much done. I am going out on saturday to buy the birth pool and home birth supplies. We have had some beautiful weather so the kids have spent the last five days outside running around like monkeys. the house has actually stayed clean.
I am sure in the next two weeks there will be a bunch of birth announcements here, I can't wait to read the birth stories.
crystal
#81 of 127 Old 04-27-2005, 01:15 PM
nym

I woke up feeling slightly crampy. That has gone away now, although I kinda do feel weird. I doubt anything will come of it though.

On one hand I want the baby to come out because I am tired of ebing pregnant, and I want to go through labour and have a new baby. But on the toher hand, I have been feeling great, having a good time with H and DS and generally enjoying myself. So the baby can stay in..

I am getting anxious about going overdue, because of the VBAC policies here, but since my midwife is going to help things along next week, I feel a lot better.

It has been so nice out here, my tummy has been getting a lot of sun!
Today we are going to go pick up DS's big brother present, a little tykes climb and slide castle. We won't put it together until I go into labour, but at least we will have it.
I still have to pack a few things for the hospital, and then I am completely done!

We have been driving down old logging roads and finding little lakes to fish in, good thing I have a cell phone. My midwife doesn't think I'll go that quick, so its been nice to get aout and do something, even something as boring as fishing!

Well, there is my book!
#82 of 127 Old 04-27-2005, 01:41 PM

Just had to share that I woke up this morning and the baby was ROA for the first time that I've noticed. This is very important to me since my DD was persistently posterior and I think that was one of the factors that contributed to our c-section. This baby has felt exactly the same the entire pregnancy - all feet and knees in front. I've been trying to be good with my OFP - sitting on my birth ball, etc. I'm so excited its paying off! :

I'm sure he won't stay that way, but its nice to see some of what I'm doing has an effect! It freaked me out at first because I am not used to my belly feeling that hard - it took me a while to realize - hey that's his back!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#83 of 127 Old 04-27-2005, 02:01 PM

Here's a quote of Fetal positioning from the spinning babies site:

LOT, LOA and OA are each ideal for the start of labor and will finish as “OA.” For generalization, I call these the “Three Anteriors.” In these positions, the baby’s chin tucks well before labor allowing the crown of the head to lead. The Left Occiput Transverse, LOT, is the most common starting position for easier births. Generally, few caregivers pay strict attention to the actual head position so the LOT baby is often called LOA or just OA. The LOA baby’s nose points halfway between LOT and OA. Both LOA and OA require less rotation than LOT and may be faster yet, but are less common.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#84 of 127 Old 04-27-2005, 02:11 PM

So I had my home visit with my MW yesterday. They dropped off the birthing tub. I've got my birth kit ready except for a few things here and there which I plan to get by the end of the week. Baby is in the perfect position, they said, which is such a relief. So now I'll spend a few minutes each day talking to the baby and asking him to stay there, please. DH finally pumped up my birth ball, only to find out that it has a slow leak , so I guess it's off to get a new one...or maybe a patch kit. I found a brand new Maya wrap on Craig's List this morning for $30, I'm going to go and pick it up in a half an hour. I'm so stoked, I've been hitting all the shops in Portland and no one carries size Large. They all only carry mediums in stock and I was going to special order a large, but now I found one, and I get to save $15. Works for me! Sometimes it's really hard being so tall (I'm 6'1''!). But at least I've got good birthing hips according to my mw :LOL. Hope all of you ladies are doing well and hanging in there! Only 4 more days till May!!!

#85 of 127 Old 04-27-2005, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym
I woke up feeling slightly crampy. That has gone away now, although I kinda do feel weird. I doubt anything will come of it though.

On one hand I want the baby to come out because I am tired of ebing pregnant, and I want to go through labour and have a new baby. But on the toher hand, I have been feeling great, having a good time with H and DS and generally enjoying myself. So the baby can stay in..

I am getting anxious about going overdue,
:

I am crampy back achy & my friend just pointed out that I am nesting. Oh dear! (I do not think I will go into labor soon, just some early signs is all!)

#86 of 127 Old 04-27-2005, 05:33 PM

OK, so from what I can tell my baby's back is on my left side and she is facing my right side. I really doubt she will turn as she's been in roughly this position for literally months! Is this called LOT or is it something else? My MW did not seem worried at all about it.
#87 of 127 Old 04-27-2005, 07:20 PM

The baby has been on my left side the whole time. Occasionally she'll turn so her back is pointing out. Man that hurts!!!!! It sticks out so much I need an elastic in my gut to accomodate her! :LOL

I finally cleaned the baby room. It's been my sewing room so there was crap everywhere! It is finally finished and what not. Looks so much better clean! :LOL The dog is weird about it though. Of all the rooms in the house he won't go in that one. He'll slowly enter if I'm in there (like when I was sewing) but he stays really close to the door. Not sure why he does that but he has since he got here. Good thing I guess. I'd rather not have him in there if we use it for any amount of time.

Starting last night I've had some bloody show. It wasn't a lot last night, just enough to make me reangle the toilet paper to see if the light was playing color games on my eyes. :LOL I've had it all day today as well. As soon as DH found out he asked if I had any contractions. I said no and walked into the other room. As soon as I did I started getting some. Teach me to speak fast again. :LOL I'm excited though. Hopefully this is it. I'd be disapointed if this was a nother tease from my body.

My mom came over and we went and picked up a ton of fabric since they were having a sale. I got some really cute stuff for me so my sister can make me a diaper. I originally went to just get some stuff for her but this was so cute I had to get some. She ended up getting a ton!!!!! Something like 70 yards....happy diaper making there! My stepdad's health is not good but he can see clearly out of one eye now (as opposed to the constant double vision.....a sideeffect of multiple things but mainly the tumor in his head). I think my mom has a plan to take him somewhere soon. She asked me today if I thought the baby was coming soon or if I had another month (I never really got a due date......I had three of them and given the two week plus or minus it basically comes down to me being due in May....any time in May). I told her soon and she sighed some relief and said good. I know he'd like to go see his son in Florida soon so hopefully the baby gets here before they go. Hopefully the baby gets here soon period! My sides hurt they are so tight!!!!

If you made it this far you deserve a medal for reading rambling posts made by Lizabethian!

Give more**Expect Less
#88 of 127 Old 04-27-2005, 07:52 PM

I finished my first wool soaker!! Here is a picture

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePh...y=-6qxf0w&Ux=0

I am very proud of myself! Just wanted to share

#89 of 127 Old 04-27-2005, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstmomy
I finished my first wool soaker!! Here is a picture

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePh...y=-6qxf0w&Ux=0

I am very proud of myself! Just wanted to share
You should be proud! That looks great! What pattern did you use? I finished mine, too, but it's not as cute as that one, I don't like the pattern I used for it. Good job!

#90 of 127 Old 04-27-2005, 09:40 PM

I'm so jealous of all of you who have good positioned babies! I posted this in its own separate thread so forgive me for the duplication, but my baby turned breech after being head-down forever. I'm so uptight about it. But I have an appt with my accupuncturist tomorrow and I need to start doing my baby-turning exercises. I have until the end of next week, where I will need to go to the hospital to have the baby turned, which in itself may induce labor, which would mean no birthing center and a 2-day stay instead of going home, which will be hard on my dd who has never spent a night away from me (whew! major run-on sentence!). Or worst case - a c-section, although a couple of docs at this hospital will consider a vaginal breech birth. Please, please send some turning vibes if you wouldn't mind!

Lizabethian, I hope to hear from you soon that you had the baby!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page