should i get my hopes up? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-28-2005, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i don't post much here, but i do lurk alot. i went to the dr yesterday (35 1/2 weeks,) and was told that while i was only 1 cm dilated, i was 70% effaced and the baby was at +1 station. this is my first baby. the dr implied that the baby might come early. he said that after saturday, i'd be 36 weeks along, and that they wouldn't stop labor if it started.

i know you can walk around several weeks slightly dilated, so i'm wondering if the fact that i'm mostly effaced, and the baby is so low will make a difference.

i am desperate to have this baby. i've had a uti for at least a month, and now the baby is putting an intense amount of pressure on my bladder (and everything else). i can barely walk.

should i get my hopes up that he'll be coming soon, or am i in for another month of torture? lol
#2 of 11 Old 04-28-2005, 10:40 PM

I don't know what to tell you because this is my 1st baby too. I was FT dialated and 70% effaced a 1-1/2 weeks ago I was at station -1.
I have heard it is a good sign when the baby is at a positive station.
Good luck to you on your baby coming soon!!
#3 of 11 Old 04-28-2005, 11:55 PM

I'd say don't get your hopes up. It's encouraging news, to be sure, but it does not equal immediate labor. Have you been taking cranberry tablets? Get rid of that UTI, quick!!!

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#4 of 11 Old 04-29-2005, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

i had actually forgotten about the cranberry pills. duh. i should have remembered that. prepregnancy i always had uti's, and took them all the time. i have been taking antibiotics. i have about 2 days of them left.

i had told the dr about a month ago that i was having to pee all the time, but just a tiny drop would come out. i wasn't having any blood in my urine or anything, though, like i usually do if i have a uti, so the dr and i dismissed it as normal pregnancy stuff, due to increased pressure. when i went back a few weeks ago, i told him that it was worse, so he ran some cultures, and said that i did have an infection, and gave me meds. when i went back this week, he said that although the meds should take care of the infection, now i wasn't going to be able to get any relief, because the baby had moved so low.

argh....i'm going to lose my marbles if this goes on another month.
the baby is so low now, i feel like i'm sitting on his head. it's the wierdest feeling...

i've been a pretty pleasant pregnant woman thus far, but i can see my mood going downhill. lol lookout world... :
my mom carried me 2 weeks past her due date. she said she spent the last 2 weeks crying and cussing. i can totally relate.
#5 of 11 Old 04-29-2005, 11:00 AM

Keep that baby in there a little longer! I KNOW it is miserable LOL Here I am though- looking at my due date in 4 days! Talk about cussing Take the cranberry tabs/ juice....drink water- I know- many trips to the bathroom- but the bathroom becomes your friend in the last months! Hopefully the medicine will help. Also- have you tried when you go to the bathroom, leaning back and pulling the bottom of your tummy up a little? I do that to help try to get all the pee out that I can...if I lean forward it hurts and seems like the baby's head is squishing my bladder more. So I lean back and pull the head off a liittle and this seems to help.
#6 of 11 Old 04-29-2005, 11:07 AM

Also, try taking some probiotics and eating yogurt, keffir (cultured products) to get the good bacteria back into your system after taking antibiotics. Getting the good bac levels up should bring you some relief (they'll eat the yuckies!).
#7 of 11 Old 04-29-2005, 01:23 PM

There is a reason why most midwives don't do vaginal checks until you are in labor and that is because your current dialation/effacement really has no bearing on when you'll go into labor. They have not been able to find any correlation - some women will be completely closed and go into labor the next day, others can go for weeks nearly fully effaced and 3cm. Often knowing what you are is only more nerve wracking since you either get a false hope or a serious letdown.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#8 of 11 Old 04-29-2005, 01:24 PM

:

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#9 of 11 Old 04-29-2005, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo
There is a reason why most midwives don't do vaginal checks until you are in labor and that is because your current dialation/effacement really has no bearing on when you'll go into labor. They have not been able to find any correlation - some women will be completely closed and go into labor the next day, others can go for weeks nearly fully effaced and 3cm. Often knowing what you are is only more nerve wracking since you either get a false hope or a serious letdown.
That's why I'm planning on not getting checked in advance...

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#10 of 11 Old 04-29-2005, 03:56 PM

Same here- I opted not to be checked the other day- I did NOT want to know if I am 0 or 1 LOL I figure I'll go when I go...
#11 of 11 Old 04-29-2005, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

hmmm, i'm seeing a dr, not a midwife, so i wasn't actually given a choice as to whether i wanted to know or not. actually, it might have been nice to not have to be checked at all, if i didn't want to, but since he did check, and i knew he knew, i'm not sure i would have been able to not know. i'm pretty impatient like that, i guess.

i knew that the dilation and effacement wasn't that impressive, i guess i was mostly wondering about the baby being so low. the dr told me when i left his office last week that he would see me next thursday for my regular appt, if not before (emphasis his). i was trying to figure out if there was any truth to that, or if he was just trying to make me feel better. lol. maybe i just looked really pathetic and he felt sorry for me...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page