Encouraging labor - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-30-2005, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I read the post below about not doing any tricks to start labor. Wondering how many are considering doing something to try to start labor?

I will be 39 weeks next wed. and my ob suggested sweeping my membranes at my next appt(monday) if I wanted too. Reason is, one of the docs in her office that I do not care for is on call next weekend and she knows I do not want him at the delivery. Next reason, she is going out of town May 11 and 12. And next reason (which is my reason) I have four children and am having a hard time taking care of them being this preg. I can't stand for any prolonged time and actually have a stool in the kitchen to sit on while I am cooking or doing dishes. Also having a hard time going up and down the stairs. and getting short of breath frequently.

Any encouragement either way appreciated!

Thanks!
Lesa
#2 of 4 Old 04-30-2005, 01:29 PM

I think you have to go with what your body is telling you, what your circumstances are, take it all into consideration and just follow your heart. A lot of people let their bodies do what it needs to for as long as it needs to. Others have special circumstances and feel they need to help things along. Some people.... not naming any names : .... are just impatient. FWIW, everything I've read says that no matter what natural methods you use to induce, your body isn't going to go into labor until it's ready. I might try some other things before membrane stripping. Here's a website for you to read a bit more about natural induction methods.
#3 of 4 Old 04-30-2005, 02:15 PM

I am one of those not waiting patiently people. I thought about posting to that other thread, but that wasn't what they asked for so...

With DD I went to 42.5 weeks. I was very patient. Even at 41.5 weeks I was sure we would go into labor any day, but since we couldn't deliver at the birth center after 42 weeks we started some natural induction methods (I should say we tried ALL the natural induction methods). In the end, I had to be induced because I contracted a fever everyone agreed was because we stripped the membranes while I was gbs+ and I ended up with a c-section.

This time things are going to be harder if I don't go into labor on my own - Being a VBAC, I am not thrilled about another pitocin induction - it's riskier and it didn't help last time, just hyperstimulated and wore out my uterus. The other methods of medical induction are completely out the window since they increase the rupture risk too much to even consider. I have a midwife who doesn't think 42 weeks is the magic number, but there is a point where I'm facing a possible repeat c-section.

So, given that, I'm not willing to leave good enough alone and hope this one comes earlier. If I can cut a few days off this pregnancy through my efforts, that may be all I need to avoid getting cut. So I'm doing my Optimal Fetal Positioning with a vengence - and seeing results - the baby has dropped despite being a second time mom. Drink tons of RRL tea. I plan on taking EPO starting at 37 weeks. I am going to do a chiropractic adjustment around that time and start doing weekly accupuncture starting at 38 weeks. I am working on a routine of regular sex & orgasm that makes my DH very happy I am going to take regular walks as well.

After a certain point (probably somewhere between 40 and 41 weeks) I'm thinking I'll step it up with a little regular nipple stimulation for a few minutes a day, gradually building as the pregnancy progresses. I'll consider herbal induction at this point. I will only consider stripping the membranes if I am looking at an impending C-section - then maybe a day or two before I might try it.

I will not do castor oil again, that was not fun and I wouldn't want to go into labor while feeling like that! So basically my plan is to try some of the more non-invasive stuff early on rather than waiting until I'm seriously overdue, but any of the more serious stuff I plan to wait on. Also, last time I ignored my daughter's positioning (mostly out of laziness) and she was posterior the whole time, so I think that may have been a factor in my not going into labor. I am working hard to make sure this baby is in the best position to engage - he's already lower than I remember DD being until the very end.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#4 of 4 Old 05-01-2005, 12:07 AM

I'm doing acupunture and EPO, but I'm not really doing them to get things started early, more just to help get ready. I want baby to take as long as she needs, and think she will no matter what I do, anyway.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page