Last question I promise! *NEED ANSWER SOON, headed to the store now* - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 05-08-2005, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH didn't believe me that castor oil won't freeze (long story short I was going to freeze it and make mini ice cubes out of it and swallow them whole......won't freeze) so I looked it up. I found a great informational page on it but it was more geared towards healing illness than anything. It made mention of using it as a massage oil and rubbing in the direction of the lymphatic system flow blah blah blah.

My question is:
Does it really work for anything if you are using it as a massage oil?
Can I massage it into my stomach and get results instead of consuming :Puke it?

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#2 of 18 Old 05-08-2005, 08:29 PM

Somehow I don't think it will have the same effect at all.

But more importantly, and please understand that I mean this in a very loving, gentle way and I am only concerned for your welfare and the welfare of your baby - WHY ARE YOU STILL TRYING THE CASTOR OIL????

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#3 of 18 Old 05-08-2005, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annakiss
Somehow I don't think it will have the same effect at all.

But more importantly, and please understand that I mean this in a very loving, gentle way and I am only concerned for your welfare and the welfare of your baby - WHY ARE YOU STILL TRYING THE CASTOR OIL????

I know you don't mean it mean. I haven't tried it is the thing. My dog ate it (on the plus side he is doing ok :LOL ) and I was hoping that if it worked as a massage thing I would try it like that. Just an option. DH is only willing to do a homebirth period for so long. I need to know what my options are so that if my time draws close I know what I can do and what will be effective.

Give more**Expect Less
#4 of 18 Old 05-08-2005, 10:10 PM

You had lots of different due dates, right? And you're going unassisted? What is DH's cut-off? You were "due" yesterday and this is your first baby... hmm... What is your due date based on? How confident do you feel about the 7th? How old are you? How long are your cycles typically? You may be likely to go as much as 2 weeks "over" w/out any concern whatsoever. And by that I mean nothing to bat an eyelash at, at all. I would seriously do anything besides castor oil. I view castor oil as a last resort that I wouldn't even attempt until after 42 weeks.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#5 of 18 Old 05-08-2005, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annakiss
You had lots of different due dates, right? And you're going unassisted? What is DH's cut-off? You were "due" yesterday and this is your first baby... hmm... What is your due date based on? How confident do you feel about the 7th? How old are you? How long are your cycles typically? You may be likely to go as much as 2 weeks "over" w/out any concern whatsoever. And by that I mean nothing to bat an eyelash at, at all. I would seriously do anything besides castor oil. I view castor oil as a last resort that I wouldn't even attempt until after 42 weeks.

So my due dates are the 7th, the 10th, and the 14th. With a two week possibility of going over I can go as late as the 28th. DH is getting nervous now because my stomach is getting bigger and bigger. I have told him over and over about being able to safely go two weeks. He doesn't listen to me though (on other things as well but that is neither here or there). My cycles are about 32 days long (the 14th due date being closer to that than anything else). Castor oil is a last resort but I need to know what the options for each option are. So I know now and am not scrambling when it comes to the end. DH does not want to wait the two weeks on ANY due date. In fact he told me tonight he would like me to get checked on the 14th and go from there. Just his concerns, so mine are now based on finding information I need.

Give more**Expect Less
#6 of 18 Old 05-09-2005, 03:31 AM

I have heard of those rubbing castor oil on their bellies. Not sure if it really started labor, but a message would be soothing.
When taking it internaly it stimulates your bowels, which produces prostaglandins to start labor.

Good luck with what you decide.

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
#7 of 18 Old 05-09-2005, 10:14 AM

I don't think I have ever read or heard a story of someone taking castor oil who didn't feel miserable and regret it.

I KWYM about wanting to be prepared. I bought some last pregnancy "in case" I got to 42 weeks, and it is still sitting in the bathroom cabinet. After I read more, though, I was kind of grossed out and decided I wouldn't use it.

Have you checked gentlebirth.org? They may have info on castor oil and the massage thing.
#8 of 18 Old 05-09-2005, 11:56 AM

Lizabethian-

Take it from someone who has taken the castor oil (two bottles by the way), this is a *last restort option only*. It really did make me sicker than sick. All of these remedies don't even work if the baby isn't just about ready to come out anyway. I took the castor oil *after* 42 weeks, btw, after having had two ultrasounds and the the tech, mw and her backup dr. said that the amniotic fluid levels were getting low. If I were you I'd suck it up and get an utrasound and put those due date questions to rest. Sounds like all of this uncertainty is causing you and DH more stress than there needs to be. If you're worried about the cost, you could probably get state insurance to cover it (I think you mentioned WIC in some of your other posts..?)

I am curious, too, how old are you?

Best of luck to you and your baby.
#9 of 18 Old 05-09-2005, 11:56 AM

Do a google search for "natural induction methods". There are A LOT of other choices out there besides castor oil. I highly recommend looking into other options. Do you have a breast pump? Nipple stimulation seems to work really well for most if you are ready to go into labor.

Please remind DH that the longer the baby is inside the better, not the other way around. See if you can reach a compromise and at least go 2 weeks past your earliest due date. (that would be the 21st right?) I was 10 days late with my first, my mom was 13 days late, my sister 8 days. Most women are late with their first babies. AND remind DH that most first labors are LONG!! i.e. longer than 10 hours.

I can't remember but did you say he will or won't read books? If he will hand him Birthing from Within. It may help him to see why it is best to leave things alone. Especially for your sake. The psychology of a laboring woman is something best handled gently. Pressure from him is not going to make your labor come any faster or be any easier, in fact it could do just the opposite.

Blessings,
N~
#10 of 18 Old 05-09-2005, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightly crunchy
I don't think I have ever read or heard a story of someone taking castor oil who didn't feel miserable and regret it.
I have also never heard anyone IRL or online recommend going that way ~ even if it did bring on labor (which it doesn't usually seem to), it seems like a rather exhausting way to go. Since this is your first, I would especially think you'd like to avoid elongating your labor time or time spent in pain/discomfort.

If you do go past 42 weeks, I would definitely look into all your other options for natural induction, like nipple stimulation, sex, etc. If labor doesn't start, I don't think it's meant to at that time. If you're unsure of your dates, I'd think you'd especially want to avoid having a slightly "undercooked" babe ~ they can have a harder time feeding and growing, thus bringing more stress to your first weeks together. I know it's hard to wait (and see yourself grow bigger each day!), but trust me, it's worth it!
#11 of 18 Old 05-09-2005, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Like I said, I don't plan on using any castor oil. I read the massage thing and was curious. If that had any validity to it then I was for sure going to try it! DH does not want to let me go two weeks. The due date confusion is from the only doctor I can go to to get my ultrasounds. He's just a ding bat but I cannot go to another doctor because of the insurance I have. I know about other natural labor inductions, I keep asking about this one cause I don't know about it. I am not going to read a paragraph off a site and decide based on that. I wanted some replies from women I know have tried it. I have been to gentlebirth.org but they don't say anything about the massage, hence the question. DH is reading (still...... ) as many books as he can get his hands on. It's not a lack of information on his end or anything. He just seems to think I am suddenly going to grow a twenty pound baby between now and when it gets here. His first baby went overdue and he'd rather not go through that again. Just his concerns, not mine.

Oh yeah, I am 18 for those who asked...I keep forgetting to put that in here.

Give more**Expect Less
#12 of 18 Old 05-09-2005, 07:59 PM

Well I am impressed that you're looking into more options but I totally echo the thoughts of others. If there's any tension in your life things'll take all the more longer. Just try to relax, let things come as they do. I don't know about a castor oil massage anyway...wouldn't something pleasent smelling be better LOL That's just me! Everything will happen in their own time. Kitty
#13 of 18 Old 05-09-2005, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizabethian
DH is reading (still...... ) as many books as he can get his hands on. It's not a lack of information on his end or anything. He just seems to think I am suddenly going to grow a twenty pound baby between now and when it gets here. His first baby went overdue and he'd rather not go through that again. Just his concerns, not mine.

Oh yeah, I am 18 for those who asked...I keep forgetting to put that in here.

:LOL Sorry I just found that cute (the 20lb baby thing)

I am glad to hear he is reading up as much as he can. One thing that I have found in the last 4 years of being around birthing communities is that if you are healthy and do not have any complications such as Gestational Diabetes your body will not grow a baby too big for you to deliver. First time deliveries can be rough even without interventions of "natural" or medical induction and the only reason for MY concern is just I would hate for anything to make it harder on you.

Now to answer your question about castor oil massage....

"When castor oil is absorbed through the skin, several extraordinary events take place. The lymphocyte count of the blood increases. This is a result of a positive influence on the thymus gland and/or lymphatic tissue.

The flow of lymph increases throughout the body. This speeds up the removal of toxins surrounding the cells and reduces the size of swollen lymph nodes. The end result is a general overall improvement in organ function with a lessening of fatigue and depression. "
(source http://goodshape.net/CastorOil.html )

I would hazard a guess that this action of castor oil in late pregnancy removes any toxins that might be in the body and hindering the start of labor. Also the improved organ function could make a labor be more efficient. Add to that the natural prostaglandins found in the oil being absorbed through the skin and it could help the body on the verge of labor begin the process sooner.

Now as for the massage itself, deep relaxation can also bring on labor if the body is ready for it. So combine the two and there would be a chance that it will help "jump start" things rather than waiting for the body to rid itself of the toxins in its normal way and by relaxing speeding up that process. Some midwives believe that nightly massages from 36 weeks on are very helpful for women who have long labors to have shorter ones. I have read other sources that say abdominal massage in late pregnancy helps stimulate the uterus.

Of course all of this is anecdotal (sp?) and there is no proof, or case in point that I can give you. This is just what I have read and heard in my birthing community circles! Hope this helps.

Blessings,
N~
#14 of 18 Old 05-09-2005, 08:27 PM

I would avoid taking anything to induce labor at all costs. My daught was just born at 36 weeks and 3 days, and she is tiny, jaundiced and the feeding is a disaster. If your due dates are off you could be looking at a little baby, with all the problems that come with it. That said, I used castor oil twice when I was pregnant with my first, I took it by mouth and I was 42 weeks with a scheduled induction. I had horrific diarhea and vomiting all night. It didn't work and I went in for my scheduled induction two days later and had my son. before I tried the castor oil I took cohosh tinctures, nipple stimulation excercise, and nothing worked the baby wasn't ready to come. all my impatience did for me was stress me out. babies come out when their are ready. this is a good time to learn patience it will pay off.
crystal
#15 of 18 Old 05-16-2005, 05:57 PM

My midwife suggested the castor oil too if my cervix looks facourable this week(I'll be 41 weeks, no question about dates at all) My thoughts are the same as the midwives, that i would prefer the castor oil to pitocin, but it sounds terrible. My grandmother used it at least once and it sounds like the last thiong I'd want toi do. I am trying everything else on their list, long walks, sex, evening primrose oil, red raspbery leaf tea and on and off nipple stimulation with breastpump.....The castor oil massage sounds like it might work for a comfort measure, but the oral ingestion sound like anything but.

Nancy, Mom to Kyra (2005), Zoe (2006), Callie (2007) (2008), and Xavier (2009)
#16 of 18 Old 05-16-2005, 07:22 PM

Having had an enema to "speed things up" with my second child, I would not even THINK about castor oil. The contractions after the enema were bad enough.

If I really felt the need to aid things along, my first line of action would be to assess if I was really mentally ready to have the baby. Are there any doubts or fears that I had (about the birth, possible complications, breastfeeding, parenting in general, life in general) that might be holding things up? It's not as crazy as it sounds, trust me!

I'd also ask myself if I feel truly comfortable with my plans for the birth. Do I feel safe? Is there anything that I still need to address?

Next I would have sex to help ripen my cervix (unless you have otherwise been instructed not to). Stay laying down on your side, with your hips slightly propped.

I might use the warm water of the shower to do nipple stimulation. Short intervals (10-15 minutes only) because it can also be overdone, and cause some pretty intense contractions (trust me!).

I might try homeopathic black cohash.

But above all, being older and wiser now than I was the first two times, I would wait, and not let anyone pressure me. Partciularly if there was ANY doubt about my dates.

I hope this does not come off as holier than thou, because I really don't mean it that way.

I hope you have a safe, easy birth.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#17 of 18 Old 05-16-2005, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder
I hope this does not come off as holier than thou, because I really don't mean it that way.

I hope you have a safe, easy birth.
You don't sound holier than thou at all! I've tried all those things. I am fine with waiting....it's everyone else who isn't. :LOL People are just starting to get to my husband. Like for instance he has people telling him once I go past a certain point my placenta may stop working. We both know the possibilities but he's getting nervous....seems everyone shares "bad news" type things with him all in one day within an hour of each other. To top it off his mom keeps saying how worried she is. Maybe he needs to think about this all. I'm ok with the birth but maybe he's not......hmmmmm......can't have him stressed. Going to talk to him about that.

Give more**Expect Less
#18 of 18 Old 05-16-2005, 07:33 PM

My mw believes it works as a massage.

I rubbed it into my tummy, about 1/4 cup.

I took castor oil with rootbeer as a chaser. It gave me bh for over 4 hours. A hour after they stopped the real ones came and gave birth 2 hours later.

It was the easy fast and enjoyable birth. I only had one bout of sitting on the loo, I took 2 doses a couple of hours apart.

No problems for me or baby. Though I am not really sure the Co started my labor.

I was 3 weeks over.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page