Birth control question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-16-2005, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a particular type in mind that I would love to get. I am still getting all the information I can on it and plan on asking a doctor about it soon. However I am having a hard time finding out if it even available here yet (it's called Implanon......like Norplant but one stick instead of five and three years instead of five). Does anyone know of a site that would tell me if anyone in Idaho uses it or offers it yet? I know it has just become available to the United States and that may be why I am having a hard time finding it. I have tried calling places but I usually get stuck with some dinky receptionist who doesn't even know what it is (when I explain that it's like Norplant they ask what that is too......I eventually just say birth control). TIA!

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#2 of 11 Old 05-16-2005, 02:05 AM

I'd be wary of anything hormonal as it can affect breastfeeding. I don't know anything about Implanon. I'll ask my mom when I talk to her again, she's a CNM.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#3 of 11 Old 05-16-2005, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I know it can effect breastfeeding. I have only found one reference to using that one and breastfeeding (I can't remember the hormone....it's not estrogen though...I don't think...crap I can't remember now! :LOL ) but all it said was to ask your doctor about it. I hope it's available here....even if I have to wait til we are done nursing.

Give more**Expect Less
#4 of 11 Old 05-16-2005, 06:32 AM

I'm also not familiar with that type of birth control. But I also wanted to warn that even progesterone only hormonal birth control (like the "mini pill") DOES lower milk supply in many women (even though the package info will call it "safe")

Have you explored non hormonal methods or even NFP???

Good luck!

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#5 of 11 Old 05-16-2005, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

I've considered them but our only problem is....well........I went off birth control and got pregnant that cycle. lol It was a little too easy for us. I want a break in between babies! :LOL but I don't want to be taking a pill.

Give more**Expect Less
#6 of 11 Old 05-16-2005, 01:08 PM

Have you considered something long term, but not hormonal like an IUD? I got one between my two kids and loved the not-having-to-worry-about-it factor. The only side-effects were heavier, longer periods (though nothing uber dramatic). They're expensive upfront, but can last as long as a decade (though they're not reusable!).

Personally, our plan is to return to NFP and condoms before deciding on long-term birth control as this is our last baby.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#7 of 11 Old 05-16-2005, 03:52 PM

if you have milk supply issues at all -- watch out for hormonal bc!!!!! I got a depo shot after dd (wasn't supposed to affect bfing according to the doc -- but the fine print that the lc found later did say that it can affect supply in SOME women) and paid dearly for it. My supply crashed a few days after getting the shot. It took weeks of pumping and lots of fenugreek (in addition to nursing) to get it back -- and I had to supplement my dd by late afternoon each day -- it was a nightmare.

Just a word of caution.
#8 of 11 Old 05-16-2005, 04:03 PM

quote:
Personally, our plan is to return to NFP and condoms before deciding on long-term birth control as this is our last baby.

: me too, that's our plan.

In addition to milk supply issues, there are lots of other "downsides" to hormonal birth control... I'm not up on the specifics, but I do know that you won't hear a lot about the downsides in mainstream stuff, just like most other "natural family living issues". HTH

Gigi. Mommy to 3 girls.
#9 of 11 Old 05-16-2005, 08:50 PM

I always used the mini pill, if the milk supply is diminished in any way you can nurse the supply back up. Kitty
#10 of 11 Old 05-16-2005, 09:09 PM

Dh and I have been trying to figure out what to do. I never got a chance to try charting before I got pregnant. We had two surprise pregnancies before we planned on a third child. I miscarried the first and we used condoms religiously and I still got pregnant within a month or so. This was our second condom pregnancy. They don't seem to be very effective for us. I really need a break between babies. Mostly for health reasons. I have to lose a lot of weight in order to be healthy. Especially after having gestational diabetes. I can't take any hormonal stuff because I get migraines quite frequently and the hormones will make them worse. My midwife suggested the Mirena IUD because it's a very very low level of hormones. So, that's what we are thinking of, but we don't know for sure.

Serenity LDS mommy to 4 rambunctious kidlets
#11 of 11 Old 05-17-2005, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seren
Dh and I have been trying to figure out what to do. I never got a chance to try charting before I got pregnant. We had two surprise pregnancies before we planned on a third child. I miscarried the first and we used condoms religiously and I still got pregnant within a month or so. This was our second condom pregnancy. They don't seem to be very effective for us. I really need a break between babies. Mostly for health reasons. I have to lose a lot of weight in order to be healthy. Especially after having gestational diabetes. I can't take any hormonal stuff because I get migraines quite frequently and the hormones will make them worse. My midwife suggested the Mirena IUD because it's a very very low level of hormones. So, that's what we are thinking of, but we don't know for sure.

I read somewhere last night you couldn't do the Mirena IUD if you were nursing....let me see if I can find the glib I read.........

Hmmmmm......not seeing it right now......I will check in the morning when I can remember what search terms I used.

Give more**Expect Less

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page