The ultimate pregnancy brain goof up - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2005, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok so today my FIL and SMIL took the boys to go tour the Tillamook Cheese factory and go to the beach. It was supposed to be a day of relaxation for me and a day to get something done without having to cart the kids around.

Well I went and started the tub so I could take a bath and shave and stuff, the phone rang. I went to answer it, it was my girlfriend from TX checking in to see how I was holding up (she went through the starting and stopping labor with her last and totally gets how annoying it is.) Anyway. . . .

I FORGOT THE TUB! By the time I remembered my entire master bathroom is flooded with about an inch of water, it has soaked out into my bedroom about 4 feet and I am afraid that my box springs are also soaked. The real kicker is that the guy that is supposed to come fix it can't come until 1pm which means the water is now leaking down into the apartment below us. I have no idea how much this is going to cost us. And we do not have rental insurance.

I am such an idiot.

N~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2005, 05:13 PM

Yikes!

My next door neighbors did that one night and I swore up and down I heard water runnign all night long, well when I woke up in the mornign it had leaked into my bathroom, the closet and everything else.

Can you get a wet vac somewhere? I rented mine for 25$ for the whole day when it happened.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:27 PM

Oh Nicole! I am so sorry! RUN TO HOME DEPOT & rent a wet vac & an undustrial fan to dry stuff out.

When DS was probably 2 or 3, he did this with the bathroom sink. It went everywhere! We used our neighbors carpet shampooer to suck up the water. (I think a shop vac would be better though!) Had to lift up the carpet & dry it with an industrial fan over 24 hours. Then had to have the padding replaced & the carpet relaid! PAIN IN THE BUTT!! I hope yours is not as much work as ours was. & yes we rent, they would not do a darn thing, since our son caused the problem. UGH!

Cristina - "If you find it in your heart to care for somebody else, you will have succeeded." Maya Angelou
Old 05-24-2005, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Fortunately they apartment complex called someone in to suck up the water and install a blower overnight to dry the carpet. I am really glad that the apartment downstairs is vacant right now. I would have felt twice as bad if I had neighbors affected by my absent mindedness!

So far they haven't said anything about us having to pay for the service or replacing the carpet. I am sure we might get bit in the arse in the end and have to pay to replace it when we move out. The guys that came to do the work were super nice though! He patted me on my shoulder and told me not to feel bad that it happens more often than you would think and it is nothing to feel silly about.

He was funny, a father of 4 he said and told us his wife nearly burnt their house down the week before his daughter was born by leaving the oven on all night long. Said, you will have that baby before the weeks out!

The really funny part is I called my mom and told her what happened. I said I chaulked it up to pregnancy brain, and she said nope to blame it on heredity because she did the very same thing yesturday!! ROFL!!!

Blessings,
N~
Old 05-24-2005, 01:29 AM

Welp mama, I did almost the same thing when I was pregnant with DS....except I had the shower on with the curtain open (same thing-phone rang and I ran to get it) which drenched the floor and hallway something fierce!

I don't know if this will make you feel better or what....but last Friday I was getting ready to make some soup for myself..I was home alone. DH had left the coffeemaker on the stovetop, sitting partially on the back burner. He does this alot and it doesnt get in the way bc the stove top is pretty big. I put all my soup contents in a pan and stuck it on a front burner...and proceeded to turn the burner on. While waiting for it to heat up, I turned my back to rinse some dishes off, etc. A few minutes later I noticed the dog standing there grunting at me really weird but I didnt think anything about it. A few seconds later I smelled burning plastic....but it didnt hit me yet. THEN it DID! I spun around to see the coffeemaker in flames!!!! And I panicked....but eventually threw the soup and about 10 more pan fulls of water on the small fire which put it out. But I sure had alot of explaining to do when DH got home. :LOL I had turned on the back burner obviously. I do not know where my mind has been lately...but its MIA! If you see it, kindly send it back home! :LOL

Anyway, I am glad that apt was empty too...that is one less stresser for you guys. Hang in there!

User Tag List