Hope & hints - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-24-2003, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi all!
I started this thread in hopes that we can give others thoughts of hope about ppd and hints about what has worked for us.

1. It does end! I remember feeling so bad at times I couldn't imagine things ever getting better. They did!!!
ppd doesn't last forever!
#2 of 7 Old 11-25-2003, 05:06 PM

The thing that I think is the most important thing to remember about PPD or clinical depression, is that it is a brain chemistry disease, not a personality flaw, or a weakness. We can't simply "pull ourselves out of it" anymore than an insulin dependent diabetic can make his body make insulin.

When we stop thinking of depression as a personal weakness, and start thinking of it as an issue with our brain chemistry, which can be fixed, we can start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and moving toward getting healthy again.

PPD and clinical depression are so misunderstood by the vast majority of the population that there is a negative stigma attached that prevent us from seeking help. As I've always said, I'm not mentally ill, I'm "chemically challenged."

***My psychiatrist really likes that analogy.
#3 of 7 Old 11-27-2003, 01:06 AM

I have a story of hope to offer. It's painful to write parts of this but here goes:

When DD was about 19 months old, I began a fast slide down a slippery slope of depression and a general lack of well-being. I've been working, in baby steps, for about a year now. During that time I haven't liked myself much, and, unfortunately, I've missed out on a lot of joy with my daughter. I loved her very much, but was struggling so much with life that I got little enjoyment out of DD -- and as any reputable two-year old would, she tested my patience to the limit.

Two months ago I began taking an SSRI, and coupled with all the other changes I've made, I've finally turned a corner where I feel good again and am gaining hope and momentum. But the true realization came when I started to look at my daughter and feel overwhelming feelings of love, instead of irritation. Not to say I'm never irritated, but it is no longer perpetual. I enjoy snuggling with her and smelling her hair. I laugh at her silliness. I have a little more patience with the inevitable mistakes. I feel positive about being a mom again. I have more strength to take better care of myself, too. It has felt like a long time, but I'm finally emerging from the fog, and I've learned a lot...and I know I need to continue to learn about myself.

My best "hint" is to not be afraid to admit you have a problem and to solicit and accept help. There is nothing shameful about having PPD, and asking for help will often get you more than you imagined. I really wish I'd asked for more help than I did. I was so used to being able to do everything for myself that it was scary and hard to realize/admit that I couldn't keep up the superwoman routine any longer. But guess what? I'm a whole lot happier as imperfect woman than I was trying to be superwoman!

Carol
#4 of 7 Old 11-28-2003, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

If you are taking meds and having side effects try taking them at a different time of day.

years ago i was taking zoloft in morning and having insomnia. i switched to dosing at bedtime and my insomnia dissapeared.
years later i took zoloft again and felt extremely foggy all day if i took it at night. this time it worked better for me if i took it in the morning.

also ssris take a while to work. in my case 8-10 weeks. so give them a chance to work. and remember that until they do start working some symptoms may be related to depression and anxiety and not neccesarily a side effect of the drug.

i agree that ppd & ppstress are chemical rather than mental in nature. don't worry about why you have it just work on what helps you to feel better.
#5 of 7 Old 12-05-2003, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter

Exercise hard!!!!!!! Such as running, stepping. lifting. Any that makes me sweat also makes me feel better.
#6 of 7 Old 12-06-2003, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

massage!!!!!!
#7 of 7 Old 12-07-2003, 04:12 PM

My best friend always says... "this too shall pass"

I definately KNOW exercise is a solution... I have more energy to clean up the house and make things a little more normal...like having dinner ready before 9pm! (vacuuming and laundry will just have to slide!

...speaking of letting things slide... if you need a bubble bath, take one! the dishes aren't going anywhere, and I find that if I give myself a few minutes of joy to recharge my batteries, I can accomplish more than if I was wandering around in a fog and bawling...

Allow yourself the tears, sometimes it doesn't have to BE about anything... did you ever think that the reason we are processing all this emotion is because mothers all over the world are hurting? We are ALL in this together... our feelings aren't just ours, but we cry our sisters tears as well... sometimes if we can feel that our sadness has a nobler cause, it can make it better ... does that make sense?

above all...remember that this is not just a chemical imbalance...but probably exacerbated by sleep deprivation and DIETARY DEFIENCIES - get smart about what you eat and how it affects your mood... chocolate may help in a pinch, but your body craves it because it is lacking Bvitamins!!! Fruit & vegies are our friends!

keep the faith, sistahs!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page