Hypnosis, Evening Primrose and Fish Oil did the trick...so far! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-06-2009, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I totally have PPD, and I just did not want to go on Zoloft! I did hypnobabies with this birth, and loved it! So I figured it would be a good thing to try to get me through ppd, so I got a PPD hynosis cd and put it on my MP3. I felt calmly and more able to handle the situation the next day! It was amazing! I feel it worked especially well because I have experience with self hypnosis already, so it was easy to give in and let go consciously. I listen to it before bed, and it instantly melts away the tension in my shoulders and neck, and puts me into a deep state of relaxation within minutes!

Also, I talked with my LC and she suggested these the fish oil and EPO. So far, so good! I take six Carlson's fish oil caps and three EPO caps daily, and it has made a huge difference.

Just wanted to share with all you mama's that are hestitant about meds and want to try natural first.

~Natalie~
LLL Leader, IBCLC, marathoner, mom of 2 (maybe 3 one day!)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 01-06-2009, 11:26 AM

I did not know that EPO could be used to treat depression. I still have some leftover from my pregnancy. How much should I take? Is it safe to take while nursing?

Dalila, mom to two boys, 7 and 5

490/2013

#3 of 10 Old 01-06-2009, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_momma2007 View Post
I did not know that EPO could be used to treat depression. I still have some leftover from my pregnancy. How much should I take? Is it safe to take while nursing?
http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/ref/h...veningprimrose

According to Kellymom its safe while nursing, and it also tells you what does is suggested. I'm nursing, and its also helped with my Raynaud's syndrome too!

~Natalie~

#4 of 10 Old 01-07-2009, 01:53 AM

My ND suggested EPO as well, 1500mg 2 times per day.
It is doing wonders for me as well!

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#5 of 10 Old 01-07-2009, 01:26 PM

I think that in general, the essential fatty acids founds in things like fish oil and EPO tend to be very good for mood enhancement. Evening Primrose is also known to help with menopause and PMS. The EFAs are also important to be getting while pregnant and nursing for the DHA, so it's safe to take and is definitely good to add in along with the prenatal.
#6 of 10 Old 03-01-2009, 03:42 PM

Hi Natalie,
I hope everything is still going well for you with PPD. I'm wondering what PPD Hypnosis CD you got, where it's from, if you still like it, etc?
I'm preg with #2 at the moment, and had PPD with #1, and am interested in non-medicating treatment this time around.
Thanks,
~maddymama
#7 of 10 Old 03-01-2009, 05:16 PM

For others who have gone this route, and recommendations, I know my wife does NOT love taking Zoloft, but I'm not sure if she'd like this anymore/less, she doesn't like taking pills in general, and it's so hard to quantify these things.

How long did you feel before you felt improvement (and does anyone know if it would be okay to take EPO and the Fish Oil, while taking Zoloft too, just wondering if it may help my wife and speed her recovery).
#8 of 10 Old 03-02-2009, 10:23 AM

excellent questions FatherTryingToHelp.

And thank you nataliedw for posting! I have been taking fish oils for a time now, and think I will add EPO back into my routine. I have noticed that I have a difficult time hiding/controlling my irritability, right around when AF is due.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#9 of 10 Old 03-02-2009, 12:44 PM

I"ve also been taking EPO and fish oils for the past month or so, and I have also noticed a definite improvement.
#10 of 10 Old 03-08-2009, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddymama View Post
Hi Natalie,
I hope everything is still going well for you with PPD. I'm wondering what PPD Hypnosis CD you got, where it's from, if you still like it, etc?
I'm preg with #2 at the moment, and had PPD with #1, and am interested in non-medicating treatment this time around.
Thanks,
~maddymama
Hey mama, it was from here...but PM me your email addy and I'll send you the MP3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherTryingToHelp View Post
For others who have gone this route, and recommendations, I know my wife does NOT love taking Zoloft, but I'm not sure if she'd like this anymore/less, she doesn't like taking pills in general, and it's so hard to quantify these things.

How long did you feel before you felt improvement (and does anyone know if it would be okay to take EPO and the Fish Oil, while taking Zoloft too, just wondering if it may help my wife and speed her recovery).

It took just a couple of days before I noticed a huge improvement. It really has worked wonders, and I'm so glad I didn't have to take any zoloft or anything similar. The fish oil and epo is perfectly safe to take with zoloft. If your wife decides to quit the zoloft, I would HIGHLY suggest she SLOWLY wean herself. Last time I was on Zoloft I quit cold turkey and had "brain zaps" for weeks. It was miserable!

~Natalie~

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page