Which SSRI(s) don't cause weight gain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-06-2003, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking I need to get back on meds. It's been 7 months since I quit Paxil, but the gloom and doom mentality has returned and since I'm alone with my toddler, I need to be on a more even keel.
But I've lost 22 pounds since I quit Paxil, and I don't want to blow up again.
Are there any antidepressants that are more of the "pepper-upper" variety and not the "sit on the couch and eat" variety?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2003, 03:12 PM

Hi,
Zoloft is supposed to be a more uppity ssri. I don't believe it causes weight gain. I have been on both paxil and zoloft without weight gain. Maybe it was your dose? I generally took 20 mg of paxil.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

i only took 10mg of paxil, i don't think there is a lower dose! :LOL
we all react differently, so i know that just because one person gains weight or doesn't gain weight with a med is no guarantee that i will, too, but i'd like to see if the likelihood is less with one drug over another.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:12 PM

there sure isn't a lower dose! maybe you could try the zoloft. i have heard that ssris affect blood sugar levels. i wonder if that is what causes the added weight gain? it is kinda a bummer to gain weight because of a drug.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:12 AM

I was on Lexapro for 8 months and in those early months I would actually forget to eat because I didn't get the usual hunger signals. It is supposed to have fewer side effects than many of the others. I had really great luck on it.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:14 AM

I've been on Lexapro about 3 months and there hasn't been any weight gain from taking it.

Carol
Old 12-09-2003, 07:10 PM

A third voice on Lexapro. I've been on it since mid-July and have not gained any weight. In fact, I've continued to lose weight even though I'm eating like a horse, LOL. DS nurses like a ravenous mongoose, so that could be the reason.

Regardless, I had a couple weeks of side affects from the Lexapro, but once I moved past that it's been pretty much clear sailing.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:34 PM

I'm taking Wellbutrin xl @ 300 MG, I did take Wellbutrin Cr?Sr?(can't remember which it is) @150MG. Before when I was on it I had felt no difference and just within the past week of starting the XL I've noticed a big change...making myself eat now. I know it does affect all people differently though. My biggest concern is making sure that is doesn't affect my milk supply. So far so good.

Good luck to you

Forgot to add that Paxil made me feel awful...kind of numb to everything.

With the Wellbutrin, I am already feeling my energy pick up again...I was just scrubbing the entryway stairs before I popped on here for a min. Also, the Xl doesn't keep me from sleeping at night, HTH.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:34 PM

Prozac killed my appetite. Had to make sure I ate, and trust me, I NEVER forget to eat.

User Tag List