What if Zoloft doesn't work? Need advice, long... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-09-2009, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I was thinking about typing my whole story but it's so long and intense and I'm not a very familiar name around here so I've decided against it. I know I don't post a lot but after the months I've spent reading here, I've gotten so much information, help and comfort that I'd like to direct this question here.

I tried generic Zoloft and it didn't work. Like at all. I tried increasing milligrams and after a couple of months I gave up and just weaned myself off. I also moved and I don't have health care quite yet (if we get approved at all) so it all just made sense for me to stop and try other things. Does regular Zoloft work differently than the generic? When I do get health care, should I try that or maybe try a different drug altogether? Is anything as safe? I have a hard time trusting the word of a doctor, hopefully the insurance will cover counseling or therapy. I just thought I would ask here for reference.

I was wondering if anybody had any advice on other things I could be doing. I take vitamins, my prenatal, fish oil, b complex, calcium, mag and zinc. I've increased zinc but that doesn't seem to have helped at all. I exercise regularly-this used to be my cure all remedy but it doesn't seem to be helping one tiny bit this time around. I try to get out of the house but my 2 year old is incredibly challenging and I used to be able to be patient through it but now... We both end up on the floor just crying after struggle after struggle. He's having a tough time adjusting to the move too so things are particularly bad right now. I was concerned about my vitamin D since I just moved from WA but now I'm near Phoenix and have exposed myself to a ton of sunlight over the last week and still nothing. If anything, things just keep getting worse and worse. I'm 5 months postpartum by the way. I also get plently of sleep. This is not an issue. My new baby is a dream to take care of. Piece of cake.

We've considered getting a nanny or some other type of help for a day or two a week but the thought of this makes me feel like a failure. I know having help and getting a break helps but do any of you think it will help significantly enough to actually do? My husband has an extremely demanding job right now and can not help too often. Sometimes he works every day for a month, 12 hour days. It's rough. My nearest family is 2 hours away and could only help twice a month at the most.

Thanks for taking the time to help. I've debated posting here but over the last 3 days my thoughts have gotten so dark that I need to seek help in any way that I can. I truly appreciate it.
#2 of 6 Old 01-09-2009, 03:52 PM

Zoloft - generic or otherwise - doesn't work for everyone. It doesn't do anything for me at all. It's like taking a sugar pill. I am now taking Wellbutrin, and it has been a lifesaver. I still have down days and I'm certainly not out of the PPD woods yet, but most days I can handle things, and I'm not so angry or overwhelmed anymore. I do not see any side effects of Wellbutrin in my breastfed baby either.

Another thing that helps me is my PPD support group. I only went once, this past Tuesday, but I really liked it. It was more like hanging out with friends than sitting around crying. Just knowing that I have that to look forward to has relly brightened my spirits.

I;ve only taken fish oil a couple times so far. I don't know if it works yet, but it can't hurt I guess. I have to have that Wellbutrin though, or I go crazy. I noticed it working within just a few days and I can tell when I miss it. It might be worth asking your doctor about.

Hope you are feeling better soon.
#3 of 6 Old 01-09-2009, 04:41 PM

Honey, even when you've got an easy baby, you shouldn't have to be alone. It's just not the way nature intended motherhood to be. If family cannot step in, hire as much help as you and DH can afford, maybe not to look after the baby, but to cook and clean. My DH works really long hours too and can only help a little bit w/the kids, and I know what it feels like.
Also, everyone's depression, although on the surface may look the same, and we have these labels like PPD, everyone's cure will be different. Medicine/and or supplements can be part of the mix, but there are also other things you can do.
PM anytime if you need a little pep talk.
#4 of 6 Old 01-14-2009, 01:22 AM

Different meds work in different ways. I know that in the past I had tried other meds which had absolutely no effect or even made things worse, and then when I got on the right thing it helped a lot. Yes, there are other safe meds to take with breastfeeding. I am currently on Paxil and feeling like I have something to live for again. Please seek some help, it is so worth it. You might just need a little something to get you over the hump and then you can focus on all of your natural remedies. I too am always putting meds as the last resort. I should have started something after DD was born but instead I wasted 2 years of her life being depressed and really missing out on her babyhood. Good luck mama.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
#5 of 6 Old 01-14-2009, 01:23 AM

OH and also, if you can afford it, see a psychiatrist who really knows what meds work for what symptoms. A lot of times OBs/GPs etc will just prescribe whatever they're used to, and it might not be what you need. I love that my psych really knows her meds backwards and forwards and she's able to find the exact right thing that will get you the help you need.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
#6 of 6 Old 01-14-2009, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the kind words. I absolutely intend on seeking mental health help if it's included in our health plan. I had a little before and it was nice but we've moved since then and we have insurance pending. I went to a doc near here and told him my story and we're trying Celexa now. It's been a few days and I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page