Mothering Forum banner

Can I prevent my PPD?

927 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  mom0810 
#1 ·
We're TTC and the one thing I am dreading is the PPD. I get really horrible anxiety, and I struggle with depression anyway. When ds2 was born it was so amazing I could actually pinpoint the PPD taking over, like a switch was flipped.
DH and I were eating a "celebration" dinner about 22 hrs. after the baby was born. I was so happy, just ecstatic at the start of the dinner. 1/2 way through I started feeling anxiety and just burst out crying and couldn't stop for days. I guess this was my milk coming in, and it eased up a little after 2-3 weeks but the anxiety was still debilitating.
I tried exercise (45min high cardio 6 to 7 days a week) for months and it only took the edge off. The only thing that got me through was knowing I would never have to go through it again, since ds2 was our "last baby"
. I eventually went on zoloft for about 2 months and it seemed to help. By that time it was almost a year and the PPD seems to clear for me around that time anyway.
I feel like PPD stole my kids' babyhoods and all I want is to enjoy it this time. I still don't like the idea of taking an antidepressant while pg/bf but I will do it if it will keep me from feeling that way and I can be sure it won't cause problems (immediate or long-term) for the baby. It's such a hard choice to make and I would really appreciate the advice of anyone who has been there or knows about it.
note: I'm also struggling with chronic Lymes which is known to flare after birth and cause severe PPD. I'll be on antibiotics my entire pregnancy and while bf...

See less See more
#2 ·
Yes, you can prevent it, or at least, the experts say it helps:

: the placenta
I know it may not sound appealing but if you can get your midwife or DP or whoever to put it into a smoothie with strawberries, banana, and yogurt, you won't taste or notice it in there. Really really worth it.

If that grosses you out just too much you can get it encapsulated.

I'm going to do the smoothie...even though I'm usually vegan I think preventing PPD is completely worth the gross-out factor.

#3 ·
Hey! With my first child I had terrible PPD. Like you I was really afriad of going through it again when I found out I was pregnant with my second child. For me, we decided it was best that I not go off my anti-depressants while pregnant and so I stayed on them throughout the pregnancy. I had a little bit of "baby blues" after my daughter was born but it was much more short lived and nowhere near what it was when my son was a baby. Also, my daughter is perfectly healthy and happy even though I took anti-depressants while pregnant and nursing. She's a normal 17 month old today.
good luck!

#4 ·
Start on zoloft now. Talk to your OB about it. You should start now so that you have it in your system before the birth. It's VERY safe in pregnancy, and I used it throughout pregnancy and now while nursing ds.

#5 ·
I was actually planning on doing a placenta smoothie last time, but we had to transfer and due to crappy hospital policy and DH's forgetfulness, the thing ended up sitting in a biohazard bucket in a hot hospital closet for over 24 hours. As gross at it is fresh, just imagine how appealing it was after that!
I guess this time I'll have an "in case of transfer" plan sketched out so I'll actually be able to do it. And I'll put DH in charge because the way things seem to go I will be way too exhausted to even think about it.

Any recommendations for specific antidepressants? Maybe I'll just start now

#7 ·
Zoloft is the recommended one during pregnancy and breastfeeding. I would talk to your doctor (make sure it's your OB... ) about starting on it now. Or if you have a therapist, discuss it with them. You can start on a really low dose (25 mg or so) and then go up after the baby is born. It's VERY safe in pregnancy and nursing. This is supported by the latest studies (2007). Do not let anyone tell you it's not safe. It's category B now. Very very safe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.