insomnia, breastfeeding, etc. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 07-08-2009, 12:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so glad that you are doing so much better!

I have been on Remeron before as well, prescribed for depression, but one of the things that I loved about it was how well it helped with my insomnia. It really is an amazing medication. I do have the sad issue of gaining a lot of weight on it (about 20 pounds a month ) so I can not stay on it for very long.

It is so hard to think clearly or about the future when you can not sleep. It feels like it is always going to be a life of being exhausted, sleepless and feeling so alone. I also find that I get really worked up and scared to even try to go to sleep, because I am so sure that I will not be able to sleep. Insomnia really does drain the color and joy out of life.

Thank you for sharing your story and how things can get better!

Unschooling Mommy of 3: Lilith (14), Panda (6), and Fox (4)
#32 of 37 Old 07-08-2009, 11:54 AM

Congratulations estercita! That is wonderful news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycandigirl View Post
It is so hard to think clearly or about the future when you can not sleep. It feels like it is always going to be a life of being exhausted, sleepless and feeling so alone. I also find that I get really worked up and scared to even try to go to sleep, because I am so sure that I will not be able to sleep. Insomnia really does drain the color and joy out of life.
ITA

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#33 of 37 Old 07-10-2009, 02:10 AM

Yay! I am so excited for you! I had excruciating anxiety that was "cured" by zoloft. I also had extreme PPD in addition to the insomnia. After 9 months I started, very slowly, weaning from the Zoloft. I have been med-free for 3 months and have normal insomnia from time to time and sometimes I take Ativan if I think I am going to have trouble winding down. The point is, I didn't have to take the Zoloft forever Good luck, thanks so much for the update! Oh, and I take tons of fish oil and magnesium citrate, the mag really seems to help.
#34 of 37 Old 05-16-2012, 02:09 PM

Just reading all your posts on this page because I too have been suffering from serious Insomnia since my daughter was born, she is now 18 months!  I have gone back and forth from herbs to now Klonopin a Benzo which does the trick for sure.  I am sleeping, but the problem really is, I don't feel like myself the next day and I really do not want to stay on this pill or rely on it for sleep.  The other night I played soccer at 9pm, so since I have to take the half pill by 9 so as I can get up to breastfeed my daughter by 7am, I did not take it and did not sleep the entire night! It is so frustrating to think that my natural ability to sleep has been taken over now and I must rely completely on a pill for sleeping, I just want to end it and get back to myself.  If anyone has suggestions please send.  Oh and yes, we are still breastfeeding, but only morning, noon and before bed and only for comfort.  Weening is in the plans...........

#35 of 37 Old 05-16-2012, 07:09 PM

I took Remeron in the '90s and couldn't wake up for the better part of a weekend!  I remember that one.

Orgasm does the trick for some people.

25-50 mg. of Benedryl for others (generic's just fine).

I know physicians that are fine with Klonopin during nursing, especially if it's not a newborn or an infant who is EBF.

A combination of approaches seems very reasonable.  You've gotten a lot of good suggestions from other posters, so I'm just kicking in my two cents.

I haven't had 5 straight hours of sleep since June of 2009, when I went off meds because I was pregnant.  My two year old still gets up every couple of hours to nurse.  He goes back to sleep quickly, but sometimes I don't.  Some days I can nap, and some days I can't due to anxiety or the dog barking next door (even with earplugs, a fan, and a pillow over my head).  I do try to get exercise and social contact and fairly healthy food.  No caffeine after my morning two cups of coffee.

DH and I would've likely seriously considered another child were it not for sleep deprivation.  There were other factors, but that was in the top couple.

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#36 of 37 Old 05-17-2012, 04:11 AM

I'll chime in, altho' I know it's an old thread.  I've had intermittent insomnia since my son night weaned at 14 months and it got worse with the return of my cycle when he was about 18/19 months old.  I have been taking ambien, but haven't found it particularly effective because of it's short half life.  Apparently there is a time released version for folks who's complaint is waking up and not being able to fall asleep again.  I actually find that 50 of benadryl works better...but it leaves me groggy in the am.  

Apparently, this kind of insomnia is a VERY common complaint from gestational moms...b/c of the hormonal shifts.  And, women in general have more insomnia than men do because of hormonal shifts.  

I hate it, hate not getting "enough" sleep.  The things that have helped include: benadryl, exercise (but only before 5pm, anything later keeps me up), limiting alcohol (if I've gone out with friends, eaten late and had a beer my sleep suffers significantly), eating early (prior to 7pm), and taking "good mood tonic"--which is basically a st. john's wort blend, and avoiding caffeine after 10am or so (last night I had a dish of chocolate ice cream...and didn't fall asleep well).  

That said, a "good sleep night" means waking up in the morning after 5am...I've always been an early bird, but it's ridiculous, and the amount of summer light we've been getting doesn't help.  

Hugs to those who are struggling with sleep.  

Two moms and two boys enjoying the truth that love always wins!!!  joy.gifjoy.gifpartners.gif

#37 of 37 Old 05-18-2012, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I'm also wakeful through the night. Exercise helps... and a nightcap.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page