What about PRE-partum depression? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 08-10-2009, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 2 & 4 yr old and am 6 months pregnant. All along I have felt very lethargic/lack of energy, but in the past few weeks... I cannot enjoy anything, want to avoid/not talk to my husband, want to sleep all day, and have this weird fantasy that when I give birth I will just bleed to death. This is not like me, I wanted this baby and was so excited when I found out I was pregnant, and now... I feel joyless. Not myself... There is not anything else I would like to be doing with my life other than what I am doing (SAHM), I love where I live tho I am a bit isolated- but have close friends I talk with on the phone a lot; and I do not understand what is up- or what to do about it if it *is* depression as I don't think I would take any anti-depressants while pregnant or nursing.

Thoughts?
#2 of 28 Old 08-10-2009, 01:04 AM

It's not unheard of. I had other things going on that contributed, but I did have feelings that led me to seek help even before the baby comes. I'm feeling better now, but check in with a therapist every few weeks to make sure. I made it clear that I was seeking counseling first, and would prefer not to medicate unless absolutely necessary.

Mom to : July 2007 and : August 2009!
#3 of 28 Old 08-10-2009, 11:33 AM

I know where you're coming from. I have a 2yo and a 3.75yo and am 5 months pregnant, and depression has been a problem this entire pregnancy. It sounds like you may be dealing with depression too - have you mentioned it to your midwife or OB? They may be able to steer you towards some helpful resources. I'm taking St John's Wort, and thankfully that's beginning to help.

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#4 of 28 Old 08-10-2009, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you've had depression before, you are more susceptible to it during pregnancy.

Prepartum depression is not unusual. I would talk to your OB because the thoughts you are having should be addressed. It's okay, and it's not your fault. Try and get in with a therapist or talk to your doctor very very soon. You CAN feel much better than this.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#5 of 28 Old 08-10-2009, 12:59 PM

You OB or midwife can tell you for sure, but what you described definitely sounds like depression to me, at least as far as *I* have experienced it (am experiencing it, really). I'm so sorry you are feeling like this ... it is awful, especially feeling like such a different person than you know you really are!

Do you feel like you wouldn't take an anti-depressant even if your doctor or midwife said it was totally safe while pregnant and breastfeeding? I was surprised when my doctor told me there were many options that are safe, as I'd thought they weren't (I'm sure some are not ok, but I was relieved that I wasn't going to have to just "hang on" for the next year and a half or so.)

I was also pleased to talk to many women here who recommended quite a few supplements and vitamins that have really helped them -- B complex vitamins, Omega 3's, fish oil, Vitamin D were some that were consistently mentioned. I know you might not feel like picking up the phone, but if you're seeing a midwife, she should be able to point you in the right direction. Even just reading through the threads here should be helpful -- I got some great help that way.

Hang in there ... I know this can be pretty tough. There are a lot of us out here going through the same thing, so please come back if you need anything -- even just a place to vent!

Much love,
Rebekah
#6 of 28 Old 08-10-2009, 01:03 PM

I had this with my second pg. Ended up needing to go on meds. unfortunatly the med they put me on was paxil and I didnt learn until 7 months pg, had been on it since 9 weeks, that this med can surpress breathing if taken up till birth. I stopped it immediatly and did ok those last 2 months.

I am thinking zoloft is the safest to take while pg and bfing.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#7 of 28 Old 08-10-2009, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

I talked to the maternity nurse who is coordinating my Medicaid (my HB midwife's office is in another county, so the therapists she may know would prob be far away) and she said she could probably get me in to see someone within the next 2 weeks. I will try to be open to suggestions from a therapist and maybe bring them back here for you ladies to help me decide what would be safe.

Thanks for the advice and support. I will definately start taking some B-complex and I just (this week) started cod liver oil more consistently. I haven't been depressed in the past 10 years, but I was diagnosed with it as a teenager... Might look into homeopathy too (I'm thinking Nat Mur or Pulsatilla maybe?).
#8 of 28 Old 08-12-2009, 03:40 PM

I too am dealing with this. I have clinical depression, and have been dealing with that for 10+ years now. I have been on meds the whole time, but this pregnancy my midwives referred me to a psychiatrist to help manage those meds during pregnancy. I was originally on Effexor, but that is not good (bad withdrawal for baby at birth), so they switched me to Prozac, which worked for me before, but stopped after a few years. (She said it may do better again since it has been a couple of years since I last took it). Prozac is probably the best studied and most recommended antidepressant during pregnancy. For me, it was a risks vs. benefits thing...w/o the meds I was not functioning well, not taking care of myself well or my other two kids, stress hormones high, etc. I am doing much better by taking it. I hope you can find the best solution that works well for you and get to feeling better soon.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#9 of 28 Old 08-13-2009, 01:29 AM

I can recommend Shaila Misri's book Pregnancy Blues, which explains how common depression in pregnancy is, evaluates the pros and cons of different treatment options, and gives lots of case studies. I was a patient of Dr Misri's and can speak for her knowledge and compassion. What I like about her approach, personally speaking, is her research on what happens to the unborn child (and later development of the child) when depression in the mother is not treated. Whatever you decide, perhaps knowing the medical facts will be empowering! Good luck with your journey.
#10 of 28 Old 08-13-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastmummy View Post
I can recommend Shaila Misri's book Pregnancy Blues, which explains how common depression in pregnancy is, evaluates the pros and cons of different treatment options, and gives lots of case studies. I was a patient of Dr Misri's and can speak for her knowledge and compassion. What I like about her approach, personally speaking, is her research on what happens to the unborn child (and later development of the child) when depression in the mother is not treated. Whatever you decide, perhaps knowing the medical facts will be empowering! Good luck with your journey.
I 2nd this, it really helped me during my first pregnancy when I Had no idea what was going on or what to expect.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#11 of 28 Old 09-10-2009, 09:21 AM

Bumping this thread. Hopefully OP is doing better. I find myself in the exact situation she describes - two young kids, not coping well, exhausted all the time yet I can't sleep, fantasies that I will die during birth. This is all not characteristic of me, generally, though I have battled some minor depression at different points in my life - never has it been this bad. Well, I've never had to deal with depression before while trying to mother, so it seems much harder.

I only just admitted to my DH what was going on and I'm exploring my options. I would love for this to just be a hormone-soup thing that I can remedy with some acupuncture, vitamins, and herbs... I'm petrified that it will get worse after the baby is born and turn into post-partum psychosis or something - that's probably my biggest fear of all. I had mild ppd with ds1 and nothing with ds2, though I always was afraid of it since I have a family history of depression and anxiety (mom, grandma, brother).

I'd love to hear from other pregnant mamas dealing with this so I don't feel alone and freakish. I loved being pregnant in my other two pregnancies - now I just want it done with

"So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton

#12 of 28 Old 09-10-2009, 11:21 PM

I had depression during pregnancy. I chose not to take meds because when I took them for ppd they made me SO dizzy and nauseated and I already had those symptoms from the pregnancy. I would say, start with supplements, exercise, natural light, improving rest and anything you can do to reduce stress. I know those things are hard but if you can make progress with them, you'll probably start to feel better. A women's depression group or therapy could also be a good thing, talk with other moms who understand!

Here's a discussion from a while back on the same subject
#13 of 28 Old 09-14-2009, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It's more common than you'd think. Definitely try to seek help now though as it could develop right in to PPD. There are several things you can take while pregnant, I used to take the supplements from True Hope.

Andi - roller derby, slave to the hoop, birth junkie, lover of love, single mama of 4
#14 of 28 Old 09-18-2009, 01:04 PM

Depression in pregnancy seems to be more and more recognized. I had it eight years ago and it was as if no one had considered it before.

Treatment is going to be similar to PPD there are just some antidepressants they will prescribe postpartum that they may be more conservative with in pregnancy.

I got through my second pregnancy without an issue with a whole combination of strategies -- taking care of myself generally speaking was the core of all of it.

Amanda Rose, author, Rebuild From Depression: A Nutrient Guide. Don't miss this opportunity to build a business telling friends about probiotic foods and grass fed meats: Beyond Organic Review.

#15 of 28 Old 09-18-2009, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

I beefed up my supplement routine and that has helped maybe 33%. I'm just trying to hang in there, trying to go to a therapist produced more anxiety than I anticipated just because I can't find anyone to watch the kids that I could feel comfortable with, so I gave up. I only have 6-7 more weeks, and if I survive dh's big business trip coming up I think I can survive til the baby arrives. If having the baby doesn't change my emotional state then I will pursue therapy again.
#16 of 28 Old 09-19-2009, 08:29 PM

I felt depressed off and on during my first pregnancy. I think that eating well, for me avoiding the highs and lows of refined sugar and carbs, helps. Exercise too.
This time I have felt pretty darn good after I started taking Floradix. It has iron and B vitamins along with herbs and a bunch of other good stuff. It really helps my energy level and my mood. I don't know if the Floradix made the difference or if the two losses I suffered last year helped my perspective.
GL mama!

~Kaiya~

winner.jpg  Mama to DS(7), DS(4), DD(1) and #4 due 8/2014!

#17 of 28 Old 09-19-2009, 11:24 PM

Another mama who went through the same ordeal. I went back and forth between really happy about being pregnant to hating it; I went from feeling the pregnant glow to feeling fat and disgusting. (I've always had an issue with my weight) It's definitely something that needs to be discussed with you ob or mw. I definitely agree that changing your diet can really help, as can getting exercise. I realize that isn't the easiest of things to do while you're pregnant, managing two others, and still feeling completely devoid of all emotions. DP used to drag me out of the house and that did end up helping for bit.

If you can afford it, I highly suggest giving the kids a daddy-day or grandparent-day or something and going to get your nails done or have your hair cut or get a massage. It will definitely help you feel better about yourself. Hell, go out to a nice dinner with dh after that. It can definitely brighten your day.

You are not alone and I hope you feel better soon

Me with my baby girl Maeleigh (Oct 08) and My (step) baby girl Whren (May 05) in Heaven with her mommy .. And introducing our little JuneBug (June 10) We heard the !!!
#18 of 28 Old 10-05-2009, 04:32 PM

I am right there with you

I am 32 weeks and most of my pregnancy have had terrible thoughts (my DH will leave me, or turn into some super prick). I hoped a lot my DS would die so I wouldn't have to be a mom.. horrible dark thoughts.. . I have spent more nights then I can count crying in the bathroom while 'taking a shower' just so I could get out the pain and feelings of unexplained loss without having to explain to my DH for the hundredth time why I am upset. he does.not.geti.it.

I feel joyless and alone..

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#19 of 28 Old 10-05-2009, 05:44 PM

I am right here with you all. I've had moderate depression for 17 years. When I was pregnant with DS I went off of Effexor in the first trimester bc I was scared to take anything while prego. I went back on it when he was about 10 weeks old. I remember feeling depressed while pregnant with him, but not like this. I went off of my medication again this time and I feel so down. Almost empty. Not really sad, just joyless. I still have 25 weeks to go.

I am definately not a danger to myself or others, but I am not sure that I will ever be able to do this again. Its sad to think that depression will keep me from having another child.

I plan on going on a small small dosage of Zoloft after the baby is born...it seems Effexor is particularly dangerous in pregnancy.

DS1 06/27/2007, DS2 03/19/2010 :::
#20 of 28 Old 10-05-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
I am definately not a danger to myself or others, but I am not sure that I will ever be able to do this again.

#21 of 28 Old 10-12-2009, 11:50 AM

I also am really really struggling.
#22 of 28 Old 10-22-2009, 05:10 PM

mine depressing is coming and going in strong waves.

today I was contacted by a doula in another area (I have been trying to find one here) and she said "instead of a doula why don't you just have a close friend come to support you for the birth" and I had to admit "well, I don't have any friends here"

I am really scared about PP. I feel like my DH is 110% clueless how hard this is and I feel totally on my own- because I am. I have no idea how we are going to do this without family help.. just the idea of holding a baby is terrifying to me.

#23 of 28 Old 11-10-2009, 08:42 PM

anyone still around this thread?

Im having a rough time as my DD approaches. I am scared and feeling isolated and very alone. I am dreading christmas to the point of tears (not kidding) and some days I want nothing more then to just go lay in the middle of the road .. I am terribly terribly down on myself.

Is there anything I can take OTC which is BF friendly to help combat this before I deliver? Im not sure I can survive PP without some sort of help.

#24 of 28 Old 11-28-2009, 01:48 PM

I'm checking in, because I'm on the way down. I'm so sorry you're going through this, ithappened.
I'll be back with ideas tomorrow, can't type tonight.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#25 of 28 Old 11-28-2009, 01:58 PM

When doing a research paper earlier this semester, I ran across a statement that depression actually peaks at 32 weeks of pregnancy, NOT postpartum (by which they meant in general, not in a given individual).

((())) I hope you're feeling better soon. There are antidepressants that are used during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
#26 of 28 Old 11-30-2009, 10:11 AM

OK. Off the top of my head, there's the nutritional protocol (floating in a sticky round the top of the forum.)
Motherwort.
Various essential oils can help- jasmine, in particular, is helping me.

BUT, if you're on more than one crying jag a day for a week, in my book that's time to see a doctor. If you find yourself thinking that the only reason you can't kill yourself is because it wouldn't be fair to kill the baby before it's born, that really IS time for change.

I'm on day 1 of prodromal labour and bizarrely, my mood is much better now.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#27 of 28 Old 12-01-2009, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hugs to you and all who have struggled or are struggling.

I am struggling right now too. Time to go back to a pdoc and have my meds adjusted.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#28 of 28 Old 12-07-2009, 12:24 AM

Think I'm going to join this thread. I am going to try to really up my nutrition and see if that helps. There is just SO much going on right now, I feel like shutting down and going into hiding. I feel like maybe a lot of my overwhelmed feeling is just the craziness of my life at the moment. Once we get past the next 2 or 3 weeks, I am hoping to not feel quite so... not sure what the word is.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page