Phantom baby cries - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 08-27-2009, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kinda weird-Do any of you hear full out baby crying when they aren't? This happens on a daily basis and I actually need to check to see if it is true. I even hear the little quiver in the cried when they are taking a breath. This usually happens when there is white noise (a hairdryer or a fan in the bed room). An odd thought but I was just curious if anyone else has experienced it and if it is ppd related.

Me (Mischa) and DH (Adam) 30, together since 2002
Middle of the road gal, open to new ideas
DS (Colben) June/09 by M/W, #2 due June/11
#2 of 21 Old 08-28-2009, 12:03 AM

yep. Happens to me all the time. MOre likely when I am tired.
#3 of 21 Old 08-28-2009, 03:28 AM

Not anymore (my babe is now 9 months old). But when she was a newborn, all the time! Especially when water was running (like in the shower). I don't think it was linked to ppd for me, it was just that I was used to holding my baby constantly, and the few minutes a day I wasn't felt a little weird.
#4 of 21 Old 08-28-2009, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I never had PPD, but saw this on the main page and YES! I hopped out of the shower many a times 'cause I was sure I heard DS crying only to find him sleeping soundly or playing contently. I think your mama brain is just on such high alert that when you can't actually hear your DC it imagines it (maybe it's nature's way of saying get back to your baby, if something goes wrong you won't be there). My SILs and I were just talking about this phenomenon and we've all experienced it.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#5 of 21 Old 08-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Banned

This happens to me rather frequently and my "baby" is almost 3 (I've never had PPD).
#6 of 21 Old 08-29-2009, 06:09 AM

that happens to me, and happened pre baby too, i would hear my husband call for me or someone talking when the water is running in the bathroom. its a wierd thing my brain does with white noise.
i dont think its something to be alarmed about, your brain just tries to fill gaps and white noise seems to be one of the triggers.
*i have never been diagnosed with ppd
#7 of 21 Old 08-30-2009, 02:29 PM

I had that happen to me all the time not anymore tho, it's toned down some now that my son is 2.
I also used to hear my mother yelling at me when I was a teen vacuming, water running and such, even tho she was not home (befor any babys entered the picture)
#8 of 21 Old 08-30-2009, 09:06 PM

happens to me all the time, too! glad I'm not the only one...
#9 of 21 Old 08-30-2009, 11:44 PM

DH and I both had this happen constantly when our kids were younger! Any kind of white noise would set it off for us. More so when we were especially stressed or tired. I was not diagnosed with PPD, though looking back it seems fairly obvious that I was suffering from it.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#10 of 21 Old 08-31-2009, 12:29 AM

Happen to me frequently both times I had a baby under about 3 months old, and I never had PPD.

I think it's hormones+sleep deprivation+your brain being overloaded with thinking about/attending to baby's needs and little else.
#11 of 21 Old 08-31-2009, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes, I regularly heard my baby crying when I was in the shower. And I didn`t have PPD either.

Me sleepytime.gif DH violin.gifand the kiddos run.gif   Follower of Jesus heartbeat.gif
#12 of 21 Old 08-31-2009, 03:27 AM

my little one is 2 years old and sometimes i still have to frantically find the baby monitor just to make sure! it was definitely more frequent when she was a newborn and rarely happens anymore (like other posters have said, when i'm tired or stressed is when it happens) but i'm getting ready to welcome baby #2 so here we go again
#13 of 21 Old 08-31-2009, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm not sure if it's PPD related, but very common. I hear cries all the time. I often wake up freaking out that my babe has fallen off the bed or that she/he is crying. I say she/he because I've done it with all of my babies.

It's the oddest thing.

Andi - roller derby, slave to the hoop, birth junkie, lover of love, single mama of 4
#14 of 21 Old 08-31-2009, 02:51 PM

Happened to me too! I suspect that it's pretty common with white noise sounds, but that with PPD it triggers more intense worry/anxiety/symptoms just like real crying does.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#15 of 21 Old 08-31-2009, 06:19 PM

I did not have ppd and I heard these cries all the time. My suspicion is that it is a result of having DD in the hospital. We stayed for 2 days and there were babies crying constantly. It made me so mad. And then when we got home I kept hearing them, but this time they weren't real. DH had the same thing happen to him.

Mom to Kira March 2009
#16 of 21 Old 08-31-2009, 07:10 PM

I have a two year old DD and a 10 month old DS. I hear phantom cries all the time while I am in the shower or when the fan is running. I don't have PDD, but I thought it was fascinating to find out that I am not the only one who experiences this!
#17 of 21 Old 09-01-2009, 06:08 PM

I did not have PPD, but with both times (twins, singleton) I heard the phantom baby cries. Usually in the shower. For me, it sounded like a muted cry. My MIL said she heard it, too, after she'd been with us for awhile after the twins were born.

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#18 of 21 Old 09-01-2009, 06:26 PM

Yep! Very often!
#19 of 21 Old 09-03-2009, 03:03 PM

Yep. I don't think it's PPD related, although I have always suffered on and off from mild depression. I've always heard screaming when I use a hair dryer, even when I was a child, and now hear baby crying with a white noise like that. I don't think it indicates mental illness but it sure *feels* crazy, doesn't it? and kinda spooky.
#20 of 21 Old 10-02-2009, 11:23 PM

Yes I hear these often especially when there is other noise in room ex. fan etc

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#21 of 21 Old 10-03-2009, 01:19 PM

oooooh thanks for this post I've heard things in the shower all the time...I keep a moniter in the bathroom so I'll know if it's babe, glad to know its common!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page