St. John's Wort for PPD prevention while breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-18-2009, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, I usually get some mild to moderate post-partum depression, does anyone know if I can start taking St. J right after the birth to help stave it off? I'll be breastfeeding, but it seems like I read it's okay to take while bf'ing. I've had some success with St. J before but I've never taken it for PPD.

nak.gif Mommy to fencing.gifKai 2/03, hammer.gifCaden 1/08, energy.gif Kara 10/09, angel1.gif 3/21/13, &

rainbow1284.gif baby.gif  Cole 2/3/14 ♡ Happily unmarried to geek.gif Papa since 2002 ♡

~We may not have it all together  but together we have it all~ uc.jpgsaynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactivist.giflactivist.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 09-18-2009, 04:45 AM

I'll check tomorrow in my Susun Weed book if you haven't gotten any answers. I was going to anyways, because I have been wondering this myself. 2 weeks postpartum now, and doing pretty well but I'm feeling anxiety and mood swings creep in and I do NOT want to go there again. I've also gotten recommendations for Sam-E and 5-HTP.

Sarah- following my bliss, mama to 3 :
Dd to Ds: "Let's have a snack party! I got us chips, and a hammer!"
#3 of 10 Old 10-11-2010, 06:23 PM

bumping
did either of you figure this out? Interested in trying st. john's wort...

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#4 of 10 Old 10-12-2010, 11:09 AM

I seem to recall reading somewhere that St John's Wort is not good to take while breastfeeding. But that doesn't help you much, does it?

signature currently in transition
#5 of 10 Old 10-12-2010, 03:14 PM

I often visit the University of Maryland Medical School's website on herbs. It has a TON of info including studies, Rx interactions and contraindications.

St John's wort has a large write up and includes details that it's appropriate for mild to moderate depression or those with seasonal affective disorder. It is not good for severe depression. Do not take if you are bi polar.

Also it can interfere with birth control pills, which I have heard from other sources.

Website says it is not recommended for those who are pregnant or nursing. It does not say why. It could be that it's never been tested on anyone pregnant or nursing so they just don't know.

Details here: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/st-johns-000276.htm

Rhianna
#6 of 10 Old 10-12-2010, 03:38 PM

I found this link about a 2006 study of St John's Wort with pregnant and breastfeeding women! It's from Canada.

Regarding lactation it says:

Strong scientific evidence showed that St. John's wort consumption during lactation did not affect maternal milk production nor affect infant weight, but may cause colic, drowsiness or lethargy.

Here is the article: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/50001.php

Rhianna
#7 of 10 Old 10-12-2010, 04:55 PM

There are a whole bunch of other herbs/remedies you can do that will not affect baby negatively (I wouldn't want to take St. J just for the chance of colic (totally would NOT have been good during my PPTSD).

I'll dig up the info later today.
#8 of 10 Old 10-13-2010, 12:39 PM

that would be awesome. I find melatonin and magnesium great in the pm to get me to sleep, just need something for mild depression and nerves/anxiety. valerian hypes me up and not sure about t while nursing.

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#9 of 10 Old 10-20-2010, 02:14 PM

I looked up St. John's wort in some of my herb books and online. I didn't find any contraindications for breastfeeding. I've been taking it for a while, but I have an older nursling.
#10 of 10 Old 10-30-2010, 12:52 AM

what about omega 3 fish oil?

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page