Please. I need help. I just can't do this anymore. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 34 Old 03-12-2004, 05:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also suffered from severe PPD with my son (he's 5 now) that went untreated for, like, 2 years, and I don't know you from Eve but I'm sooo glad you've found some ways to get help sooner than that. My 2nd is 10 days old now, and DH, doula and midwives are all keeping an eagle eye out with me for symptoms of PPD popping up again.

Some useful things I know now that I didn't know then:

Anemia (even "borderline" anemia, which is what I have), hypoglycemia or inadequate protein intake, thyroid problems, inadequate exposure to natural light, exhaustion and B vitamin deficiencies can ALL produce the same symptoms as depression.

Sometimes, no, often, very fussy babies benefit from going to a chiropractor and being adjusted. No shit. Make sure it's a chiropractor who treats lots of babies and kids.

As someone said above, if getting stuff done would help you feel better, break it down into baby steps and don't let yourself feel you "have" to finish something: "I will stack the plates and bowls and then if I want to quit doing the dishes, I will."

And finally, I too am having to learn that taking care of myself has to be the first priority if I'm going to be able to help take care of my kids. I know how hard it is to unlearn all the sacrificial crap our culture programs into us as mothers. I'm not the huggin' type but I wish I could give you a warm smile when I say to you that you and I and every other parent deserves to have support and help and to take care of themselves.

Congratulations on starting to get better!

Kris
#32 of 34 Old 03-13-2004, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you. I went through the same feelings when my baby was born and still do today, but luckily to a lesser extent. You have done exactly the right thing in asking for help. Personally, I found a support group to be the most helpful. There are also telephone support groups available. It really helps to talk about the feelings and to realise that you are not alone. Taking medication is also nothing to be ashamed of and can support the body and mind during this very difficult time. Noone really tells you what a change becoming a Mother involves - it is a huge shock - please take it one small step at a time.

Anna x
#33 of 34 Old 04-08-2004, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
All I have for you are ((((hugs))))...
#34 of 34 Old 04-13-2004, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey all-
I totally relate to what you're saying, Neveryoumindthere! I've had PPD for 8months. It's so hard. I've hated SUnday nights cause it meant my DH was getting ready to leave me for a long week at work. I had those doubtful moments of oh God there's no way for me to do this. And I have an easy baby!! What I can tell you is that sometimes you have to breakdown to get better. It's no fun, but I think it can be necessary for the healing to begin. I wish you all the best in your journey. GET HELP!! Get an MD, start therapy, get someone to watch the babe, find a cleaning lady, etc. It's o.k. to need help, especially now. You deserve it!! You may check in your community for a PPD group. They have one in my area and it's completely a life-line. YOU WILL GET THRU THIS! I'm healing. So can you. Just hold on and be gentle with yourself. AND KEEP WRITING!!
Chrissy

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page