PPD and CPS - BIG UPDATE post 156 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 164 Old 11-20-2009, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been a member of MDC for a long time, and have posted here before. For this thread however I needed more anonymity so I created a new username.

Background:

My now ex BF and I have not been getting along well since the baby was born. His mother stays with us during the week to babysit, despite me not wanting her too. I do not get along with her.

What happened this week:

On Wednesday my ex BF, his mom, and I got into a huge fight. We fought a little, so I left the room and got on my computer to chill out (ex BF was playing with the baby). My BF followed me into the other room and started telling me that I don't do anything, that I'm like dealing with a 13yr old girl, that I shouldn't be taking leisure time while the baby is awake - that I should be doing laundry or dishes or cleaning something, that I'm immature, etc.

I did not respond to him. I was done talking to him. Then it came time for the baby (10mo) to go to sleep. He wanted to nurse to sleep, but I couldn't do it. I just could not nurse him to sleep. I needed my space. Well, that set ex BF off again. And his mother. Who said to me, "This conversation is between you and Will, but you really should think about this......etc." Then, I said, "I'm weaning the baby, weaning works by not nursing him. I'm weaning him, therefore ex BF can put him to bed" She responded, "I'm going to call CPS on you, you can't do that cold turkey"

I LOST it. I started yelling at her (she was holding the baby), I told her to get the HE!! out of my house, that I didn't ever want to see her again, I called her a *itch. It was bad. It hasn't happened that badly before. I have a temper, and when I'm my normal self (which is never going to happen again, my old self is GONE since this baby was born) I can control it. Right now though, I can't. I cannot deal with things. AT ALL.

Anyway, so fast forward to Thursday morning, I drop ex BF at school, then park the car. He comes to me a few hours later and says he needs the car keys so that he can get something out of the car.

What did he REALLY do? Took the baby to the dr (he's had a bad cold, which is now the flu) WITHOUT telling me!!!! And told the pediatrician what happened the night before (I'm sure making me look WAY worse than what actually happened), and the ped called CPS.

So the CPS person shows up last night (after I have spent the better part of 24hours crying b/c my life has gone to he!!), and I blew it with her too. I didn't sign releases so that she could call my dr's, I told her that if she was going to take my son away that she should just do it rather than drag it out. It feels like everything is working against me and my life is just a complete failure.

On wednesday I said a lot of things that I don't mean. Like, I wish I had an abortion (sometimes I do), I wish I gave up the baby, I don't want him, I hate being a mother, etc.

I can't undo it now. And now my ex BF is trying to take him away from me. I've been told that I can't be with my son alone. AT ALL. My ex BF says that he did this to force me to get the right help (I'm on meds, and I have a therapist but its not working) and that he wants joint custody eventually (right now we live together - we just broke up Wednesday night).

My life has been destroyed. I'm a law student. I'm never going to be admitted to the bar now. EVER. I can't imagine getting admitted to the bar with a CPS record. I was going to transfer schools after my first year and go back towards home, but then I was pregnant. I didn't get an abortion b/c my ex BF wanted me to keep the baby. I tore so badly after the birth that I was in sever, debilitating pain for 12 weeks after the birth. I'm not graduating on time b/c of the baby, I don't get to move home after school ends b/c of the baby (I live in NYC now, but I'm from Seattle).

What do I do now??? I hate my life. I don't like being a mother (I love my baby and I would never hurt him, but being a mother is too hard right now). I only have stressors in my life, and no stress relievers. I hate living in NYC, I hate all the crowds I hate all the noise. I'm so tired of all of this. I can't deal with it anymore. I just want to go home.

HELP!!! I'm heading over to FYT to see if anyone knows of some good ppd therapists in my area.

(so sorry this is so long, if you read the whole thing you are a saint)
#2 of 164 Old 11-20-2009, 08:58 AM

I'm so sorry mama. I have no advice for you but I couldn't read and not reply.

(((((HUGS)))))
#3 of 164 Old 11-20-2009, 09:24 AM

#4 of 164 Old 11-20-2009, 09:45 AM

It sounds like you have a lot of stress right now, and maybe it is better that the baby is being cared for by his dad at the moment. It sounds like you need a little time away.
#5 of 164 Old 11-20-2009, 10:47 AM

that

s Stumbled on your post mama and just wanted to give you a little support. NYC is a hard city, babies are hard and so are mother-in-laws!

I really encourage you to seek professional support of some kind at this point. And, if I might suggest trying to reach out to the CPS person who you had the bad experience with, or her supervisor/office for a referral to a mental health professional, PPD counselor or similiar. They will be able to point you in the right direction, may know about free or sliding scale fee providers and will see that you really are willing to get help when necessary, which can only help your situation with them. I think you do need a little help right now, mama, said with love!!!!!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Exodus 1:15-21 - doula/midwifery dictum
"For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required."
#6 of 164 Old 11-20-2009, 11:12 AM

This sounds really tough. I am sorry.

With depression, things can often seem much worse than they are - a CPS visit will not cancel your career in law - if anything, you will be more understanding of the needs and background of your clients. Right now you need to take care of yourself - counseling, meds, more counseling. When the meds are right, and the therapist is right, you will feel so much better. Ask your current therapist, your doctor, your pediatrician for names of good PPD therapists.

You probably don't need to wean, just pump during the day and let the Dad take care of the baby.

Do you have a friend you can stay with, so you won't have to hang out with EX and his Mom? I think having his Mom in the home is a really bad idea.

Was he a nice person before things went bad? It is really possible that when you are feeling better, you will be able to resume a relationship with him. You have many parenting options for your future, including letting your EX be the primary parent, if that is your choice. But don't make a decision now, while you are depressed. The baby will be much more appealing to you, much more lovable, once you have your PPD under control or resolved.

Right now take care of yourself, let EX take care of the baby mostly, and get plenty of sleep. Things will get better
#7 of 164 Old 11-20-2009, 12:28 PM

Sleep is SO important.

This place helped me immensely - they will talk with you as long as you need it and they have resources: http://www.postpartumny.org/ They're on LI, but I know they will help, if they can.

Depression makes everything worse. So, so much worse. Don't think about the future or the whatifs or any of that - focus on getting well.

s. hang in there - it will get better.

*~* A * Mama to C and A * *~* I blog - PM me for the URL
#8 of 164 Old 11-20-2009, 01:10 PM

Let X-DP take the baby while you sort this out. And get your therapist involved to help you navigate this as well as a lawyer who can guide you on the legal aspect of the situation.

And maybe apologize to CPS for blowing up so you can build a bridge. They may be able to offer some assistance.

You are going to want to be involved in your child's life no matter how burned out you are right now. So keep that as your goal and do what you have to do to realize it.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#9 of 164 Old 11-20-2009, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm so sorry you're dealing with all this right now.

CPS does not exist soley to take kids away from their parents. Primarily, their job is to keep families together and assist parents in getting the help they need.

Your son is safe right now, with both Daddy and Grandma available to care for him. You need to take this time to get the help YOU need. If your therapist isn't helping, and your meds need to be adjusted, you may want to go check yourself into a hospital. CPS may be able to help with paying for the mental health care you need.

Getting yourself help is only going to help your CPS case. It will show that you're taking the initiative in getting yourself better, rather than waiting for them to "force you" into getting help.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#10 of 164 Old 11-20-2009, 01:28 PM

Mama right now you have so many emotions going on I can see how tough it is for you. But honestly right now your first concern has to be your child. I understand that you may have feelings that they are *taking away* your child but honestly you need to ask yourself can you really take care of his emotional/physical needs on top of dealing with your depression. If not than it might be helpful to have your ex take him for awhile with the understanding that you are seeking help. I guess I can see both sides your overwhelming stress and his fear because of some of the things you have said against your child.

Secondly I would find myself immediately in my therapists office. If they are unwilling to help, than find another. Someone will help and listen. PPD is treatable. Please dont give up. Please talk to your therapist.

As for your relationship. Obviously all the above are stressers in it. Im not saying break up and never be with each other. Obviously something was *there* at some point. Maybe you can take some time away and figure things out for yourself. Get your PPD under control, figure out school and what your goals are. As for the CPS thing, I think that being proactive and showing your are seeking help with help.
#11 of 164 Old 11-20-2009, 01:47 PM

Mama, you need help. Please be kind to yourself.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#12 of 164 Old 11-20-2009, 01:58 PM

I'm so sorry

I think you need to call your social worker and explain that your bf and his mother had pretty much taken over the baby and with you feeling depressed and in a different city, you're very stressed. Tell her that you are in counseling and explain that your MIL's interferrence is hurting you as a mother and ask what you can do about it. Maybe there can be a daycare subsidy or some way for you to get her out of your life as much as possible. Interfering MIL's can be a huge stressor.

You were wrong to just try to wean the baby like that, but it's hard to function when you've got people breathing down your neck. You need to be able to trust your mothering and build confidence, not have confidence stolen from you.

Get your social worker working with you. Ask for help, tell her what the problem is and ask for advice.

Also, maybe you can go to couple's counseling and address the MIL issue. Don't be too hard on yourself. You were in a really bad situation, although it may not seem like it looking back. Lots of moms would have been thrown into depression.It sounds like all control was taken from you as soon as you got pregnant.

You will have some control again. You will be able to be a lawyer. You will get through this and you will love your child more than anything in the world. You need support and you haven't had that since you got pregnant. You were not just a vessel, bringing a baby to your boyfriend and his mother. This is your baby and your life is never going to be the same because you are the mother. Nobody can replace you.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#13 of 164 Old 11-20-2009, 02:10 PM

I'm so sorry! Is there anyway you could contact your social worker and ask about counseling services for the whole family? It sounds like your bf's yelling is only making your problems worse, as is the interference from his mother. They could help you to set up boundaries, and to set up a plan so that you can have some time alone to yourself. It won't hurt the baby to learn to be soothed by him, and for him to demand that you never sit and relax while the baby is awake is ridiculous. It sounds like he also needs some counseling to learn that he has unrealistic expectations of you.

Wife to DH and Mommy to DS(2 yrs) : : : :
#14 of 164 Old 11-20-2009, 02:20 PM

Being a mom does suck. A lot of the time. It took me 20 months to get to the point where I actually ENJOYED being a mom. A lot of people don't think I should say stuff like that, but I am being truthful. It does get better, it just takes patience and waiting it out and taking it day by day.

When Toby was 5 months old I went to a therapist about PPD. She called and reported me to CPS because I was very depressed, bulimic, etc (however all she said when treating me was I "need to lose weight and get more sunlight" ) CPS came over. It was terrifying, but you know what? They got me a ton of help I needed.

CPS is not there to take your child away. They're not there to take your XBF's side or even your side. They are there to try to do what is best for your baby. They will get you the help you need, if you are willing to accept it. For us, CPS came ever week for 3 months and did in-home counseling with us. It was a wonderful help. They gave me tons of resources for additional assistance regarding formula, medical care, and even a place where I could drop Toby off if it got to be too much. I could leave him in the care of the nurses for up to 2 hours while I took a break. I never did, but I was so grateful that CPS ended up NOT being the horror story monsters you hear about, but wonderful and kind people who just want to help in any way they can.

Good luck Mama.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#15 of 164 Old 11-20-2009, 04:17 PM

Every family has a different structure, and I do know dads who have raised their kids with primary custody AND where the kids had a good (even really good) relationship with the mama. Is the ex a good dad? Would you consider letting him raise the baby while you focus on your career? You could probably work out visitation so that you still had a wonderful relationship with your child. It sounds like you really feel trapped. It is o.k. to free yourself even if it isn't the conventional choice.
#16 of 164 Old 11-20-2009, 04:23 PM

I've been following your story and I'm so sad for you that it has come to this. You need help right now mama. If I were in your situation, I would be checking in to an inpatient unit to get some immediate assistance. It is very important that you get this taken care of, PPD can be very, very serious.

I'm so sorry that you are suffering and life is so hard right now. My mother had me when she was in law school and it was no cake walk. She had to wean me and send me to another city (her hometown where we had already purchased a house for post-school) with my dad so that she could finish with finals without defenestrating me. It was a rough time for her and my dad but we all came through it!

PM me if you need to talk.
#17 of 164 Old 11-20-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by first baby View Post
Then, I said, "I'm weaning the baby, weaning works by not nursing him. I'm weaning him, therefore ex BF can put him to bed" She responded, "I'm going to call CPS on you, you can't do that cold turkey"
This is not a CPS issue.

Not feeding the baby at all is a CPS issue.

It should be okay to ask other adults around you for help when you are at the end of your rope. Other family members should provide care for an infant when they are available and mom is losing it. Other family members should learn to feed an comfort an older infant when the breast is not available. It is a cop-out to claim that only mom can care for a breastfed baby.

I cannot imagine CPS opening an investigation based on cold-turkey weaning. It is far from ideal. It's not something I would advise, though I would support every woman in making the best choice for herself and her child that she could at a given time.

I just can't imagine CPS telling a mother that she has to breastfeed, no matter what the circumstances. I think that even in the case of a very sick infant who really needs mother's milk in an immediate-survival situation, it would unquestionably be up to the mother what she does with her breasts.
#18 of 164 Old 11-20-2009, 06:06 PM

FWIW: A CPS record does not come up during the bar application process that I'm aware of. Criminal and financial mischief are generally what they are looking for. Don't stress your career right now.

If you have access to psych services through your law school, get hooked up with them now. Exams will be cming up and you need all the support you can get.

Use this time to get yourself back together for yourself and your little one.

Consider finding a lawyer now rather than later.
#19 of 164 Old 11-20-2009, 09:17 PM

Thought I had posted earlier, but I guess it didn't work.

I think, as an attorney who deals with CPS issues, that you should contact the Social Worker. If you have her direct line call and leave her a message.

I would sit down and explain to her that you would like to meet with her outside of your home, as you don't want to discuss things with her around your X and his mother.

I would explain to the Case worker that the day before she came, you and your X got into a verbal disagreement and that before you and him got into more of an argument that you left the room. When you left the room the baby was with your X and his mother. Explain that you went to just to another room to get a few minutes to yourself, to relax and clear your thoughts before going back out to deal with the issue.

Explain that instead you felt like your X followed you into the other room, and he continued to get on your case, including telling you how bad of a person you are and that you were basically being selfish for doing something for yourself instead of housework and caring for the baby at that moment. Explain that then, his mother came in and stated baby was hungry and that you had decided you wanted to wean and told them that. That both he and his mother then tried to strong arm you into nursing, and you just couldn't because you needed some time for yourself, that with your depression you just couldn't continue to nurse. That they threatened to call CPS on you for not nursing. That your X took the baby to the Ped, and that you do not know what was said there to get the Ped to make a referral to CPS, but that you want to work through it.

Explain that when she showed up, that you were still upset and hurt and crying about the things from the day before. Explain that what happened the day before really hurt you and you cried all night, and then when she came, it was a final straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. That at that meeting you were very upset and not clearly thinking, and let her know that you want to cooperate and work with them and be with your son.

Let them know that you know deep down inside that you love your child, but right now in the home situation is not ideal with both your X and his mother living with you and not supporting you through your PPD and that it is manifesting itself and making you feel like you do not love your baby. Let them know that this is not the first time you felt that he has and/or his mother has been strong arming you, explain that you initially wanted to abort the pregnancy because you were not ready, but he used scare tactics and/or forcefulness to get you to go through with it. I would let them know that you do not have a support system around you and that you are miles from home.

Sign releases for them to contact your Therapist for the purpose of getting your diagnosis and if you are compliant with your treatment or not. Also, sign releases for them to talk to your Pediatrician.

Right now, because of how you were feeling and your state on the day they came to visit they have put a safety plan into place to ensure that the baby is safe and comes to no harm. They have not given him custody nor have they given his mother custody, they would have to take you to Court.

Let them know you would like their help to not only get referrals to help yourself, but you would also like assistance with getting yourself and your baby out of the same residence as your X and his mother, because you feel that you cannot continue to live and function where you are not supported. If the place is in your name, then once you get the Ok to have your baby solo from CPS, even working with them to be able to come up with a safety plan for you to be living with the baby by yourself, then tell them to leave, and if you don' feel confident doing it by yourself ask the caseworker to be with you and you can also ask your local police to assist you in getting them out. If they are also on the lease, you are probably going to have to contact your landlord and see how you can get out of the lease and get a place for yourself and the baby. CPS can even assist you with getting a place of your own and often times with getting some furniture. If it is the later case, you may have to go to the old residence when you move out with a police officer to remove your stuff, if that is the case, then I suggest you find someone else to watch your baby while you do it.

Not sure what it is like in NY, but in most States if a baby is born to an unwed mother, she is presumed to have legal custody of the child.

I would also contact your therapist ASAP and see if s/he can see you ASAP. Explain to them what happened, and ask for their help. I would also talk to your OB, as your meds may need to be changed.

Oh, and as for it affecting your ability to get your License. Don't worry, I know Ohio has a convicted cop killer as an attorney who went to law school while in prison, got out did character and fitness and took the bar exam and passed it. Character and fitness committee will question you about it, and be honest, tell them you were suffering from PPD and that you were at the time being treated for it and that you followed the recommendations of your treatment providers and you cooperated with CPS to the best of your ability. They wont hold it against you that you sought help, rather they will acknowledge your foresight for seeing you needed the help and assistance and got it. Many times attorneys fail to recognize their own mental health issues or alcohol/drug issues and fail to seek help. That is why there are often times scare put into you in law school about this subject.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you want or need assistance or encouragement.
#20 of 164 Old 11-20-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklefairy View Post
This is not a CPS issue.

Not feeding the baby at all is a CPS issue.

It should be okay to ask other adults around you for help when you are at the end of your rope. Other family members should provide care for an infant when they are available and mom is losing it. Other family members should learn to feed an comfort an older infant when the breast is not available. It is a cop-out to claim that only mom can care for a breastfed baby.

I cannot imagine CPS opening an investigation based on cold-turkey weaning. It is far from ideal. It's not something I would advise, though I would support every woman in making the best choice for herself and her child that she could at a given time.

I just can't imagine CPS telling a mother that she has to breastfeed, no matter what the circumstances. I think that even in the case of a very sick infant who really needs mother's milk in an immediate-survival situation, it would unquestionably be up to the mother what she does with her breasts.
I do think that CPS is questioning her decision to wean cold turkey. Rather, I think the X said something to the Ped and he became very concerned and made a referral as a mandated reporter.

I think that because Mother was so distraught that when CPS came to visit they did have concerns over Mother's stability and ability to care for the child by herself. That as a result, they wanted someone with Mother to help her and make sure baby was safe.

Not all CPS caseworkers are mean horrible people, not saying that these mean ones do not exist, but not every single one of them is this way.
#21 of 164 Old 11-20-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaoskat View Post
I do think that CPS is questioning her decision to wean cold turkey. Rather, I think the X said something to the Ped and he became very concerned and made a referral as a mandated reporter.

I think that because Mother was so distraught that when CPS came to visit they did have concerns over Mother's stability and ability to care for the child by herself. That as a result, they wanted someone with Mother to help her and make sure baby was safe.

Not all CPS caseworkers are mean horrible people, not saying that these mean ones do not exist, but not every single one of them is this way.
Yes, that was my thought (that CPS wasn't questioning it). I was just adding that the next time her MIL says something ridiculous, it might help her to stay calm if she thinks about how ridiculous it is in the moment.

I agree that help is needed. I hope mom can get more help.
#22 of 164 Old 11-21-2009, 03:44 AM

I had a number of inpatient stays and lots of outpatient therapy for anorexia. I was very concerned about the impact on getting a law license. I saw a therapist who had worked with many professionals who had eating disorders and other emotional difficulties. His advice: Be honest and disclose it on the bar application. Under no circumstances lie on the bar application.

His advice was well-heeded. I had no difficulty getting my law license.

I second calling the CPS worker and apologizing and explaining and asking for some additional referrals. I think many people can imagine staying with your MIL being very stressful.
#23 of 164 Old 11-21-2009, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I do need to contact the social worker, but she was very very cold to me, and it felt like she had judged me before I even got home (she was waiting for me, and had already spoken to my xBF's mom - I don't know what was said, but I'm terrified of what she said about me - she's a real witch and has lied to my own mother about me before). For this reason I'm terrified to speak with her - she was NOT nice to me and basically told my xBF that he needs to file for custody.

I went yesterday to the ER, they did not keep me overnight (thank god, I've never been away from Lincoln overnight, and that would have been terrible). The psychiatrist I saw is going to call my therapist, and among other things to let her know why I missed my appointment yesterday (I was in the ER at the time of the appointment, and didn't have the chance to call ahead). I gave the social worker permission to talk to my therapist, but not to speak to my PCP or my psychiatrist.

xBF and I are now sleeping in separate bedrooms, which will ease some of the tension. We are starting to wean our son - although we're having some trouble deciding how to do it so I'm on my way to Kellymom.com to see if there is a gentle way to do it gradually and if we should use formula or if we could wait a few more weeks and go straight to cow milk. (my reasoning for that IS NOT to save money, but rather he is very picky, and I highly doubt he will take to the formula, but he might actually like cow milk or another form of milk - any ideas about that? He's 10mo now, and if we wait 2.5more weeks he will be 11mo)

I'll keep everyone posted.
#24 of 164 Old 11-21-2009, 11:46 AM

When it comes to making a choice about weaning, I might first try to realistically gauge if it will really help. In the case where others aren't helping with childcare, it might not take much pressure off mom. I know that for me, had I had to deal with bottles (which you don't have to start at 10 months, you could go to cups instead) and finding other ways of comforting a non-verbal child, it would have been much easier to continue to breastfeed.

If you can get ahold of a book called "How Weaning Happens" (which may be available to borrow through an LLL group nearby) it will have some weaning ideas tailored to your child's age. You might also post this in one of the breastfeeding forums here, ask at a LLL meeting, or solicit more ideas here.

I will be thinking of you. I am a full time student and mother to two older kids and know that it is hard. I've also experienced depression. Throw it all together and, well, something has to give sometimes and when it's mama's health, it's time for something to change.
#25 of 164 Old 11-21-2009, 12:02 PM

In addition to everything else you are doing to take care of yourself, have you thought about adding cod liver oil and magnesium? IT HAS HELPED ME SO MUCH! I just want to tell everyone about it. I'm not saying it a quick fix. I think you should continue taking your medicine, seeing your therapist, maybe find a better therapist. But these vitamins have helped stabilize my mood soooo much and makes it easier for me to handle stress.

Take care of yourself.
#26 of 164 Old 11-21-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I'm so sorry you're dealing with all this right now.

CPS does not exist soley to take kids away from their parents. Primarily, their job is to keep families together and assist parents in getting the help they need.

Your son is safe right now, with both Daddy and Grandma available to care for him. You need to take this time to get the help YOU need. If your therapist isn't helping, and your meds need to be adjusted, you may want to go check yourself into a hospital. CPS may be able to help with paying for the mental health care you need.

Getting yourself help is only going to help your CPS case. It will show that you're taking the initiative in getting yourself better, rather than waiting for them to "force you" into getting help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by first baby View Post
Thanks everyone. I do need to contact the social worker, but she was very very cold to me, and it felt like she had judged me before I even got home (she was waiting for me, and had already spoken to my xBF's mom - I don't know what was said, but I'm terrified of what she said about me - she's a real witch and has lied to my own mother about me before). For this reason I'm terrified to speak with her - she was NOT nice to me and basically told my xBF that he needs to file for custody.

I went yesterday to the ER, they did not keep me overnight (thank god, I've never been away from Lincoln overnight, and that would have been terrible). The psychiatrist I saw is going to call my therapist, and among other things to let her know why I missed my appointment yesterday (I was in the ER at the time of the appointment, and didn't have the chance to call ahead). I gave the social worker permission to talk to my therapist, but not to speak to my PCP or my psychiatrist.

xBF and I are now sleeping in separate bedrooms, which will ease some of the tension. We are starting to wean our son - although we're having some trouble deciding how to do it so I'm on my way to Kellymom.com to see if there is a gentle way to do it gradually and if we should use formula or if we could wait a few more weeks and go straight to cow milk. (my reasoning for that IS NOT to save money, but rather he is very picky, and I highly doubt he will take to the formula, but he might actually like cow milk or another form of milk - any ideas about that? He's 10mo now, and if we wait 2.5more weeks he will be 11mo)

I'll keep everyone posted.
You PPD and stress could make it so your perceptions are off on the social worker. Try to take it a step at at time and try not to assume she's made up her mind. Her job is to investigate the circumstances, she is not a judge. Does she know you are struggling with PPD? As Ruthla said, she may be able to help you connect with resources. I would be completely open and honest and allow access to your therapist, PCP, and psychiatrist. If you really aren't well enough to care for your baby, there is nothing to be gained by hiding that. It is in everyone's best interest to put aside fears and look at the reality of the situation and make a plan for baby's wellbeing which includes a plan for you to get well and be able to mother your baby with your whole self again because that is what is in baby's best interest - a happy healthy whole mama.

I am so glad you went to the ER. That took great courage. Do you feel that they took your concerns seriously? Do you feel like there is a plan in place for you? Don't give up, mama. Go back it you need to or call 211 (state info line) and find out what is available for immediate help if you are feeling desperate.

Regarding the weaning, I posted in another thread, but I will reiterate it here. I would go straight to cow's milk in a sippy at that age if there is no allergies. Whole organic milk, raw if you have that available in your area. Formula tastes pretty yucky to an EBF baby IME. Warm the milk slightly, it makes it sweeter and more comforting and familiar to baby. I would drop one feeding at a time, one every few days to allow your body and his to adjust (you don't want to get engorged or get mastitis). I would save the favorite feedings for last. It takes a few weeks to wean this way but its ideal over cold turkey, a lot less traumatic. If he's dependent on nursing to sleep, that is often the biggest hurdle. Distraction works well, and changing things up to avoid the areas that are strongly associated with breastfeeding. For example, instead of nursing in bed in the early morning, get up and make breakfast. Instead of rocking and nursing in the chair, make a little snack and then go for a walk in the stroller or carrier to get him to fall asleep. If he starts to paw at your shirt, offer him a drink of milk or go make a snack for him or get out a new toy. You can shorten the feedings too, by a few minutes each day. Weaning is not an all or nothing thing, perhaps just cutting back a bit will help your stress.

Mom to DS(17) autismribbon.gif DS(15) autismribbon.gif DS(12) autismribbon.gif My gifted, quirky, wonderful teens!

Mama to Jack bouncy.gif11.08 and Liam  biggrinbounce.gif 9.11 and due with boy #6! stork-boy.gif  

Blissfully married to the love of my life since 8.8.8 partners.gif 

#27 of 164 Old 11-22-2009, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Update:

Things have gotten worse.

On friday morning I very slightly raised my voice, the baby was not upset and didn't even look up from his toys. xBF said to me, "I'm going to have to call the social worker since you're not allowed to yell in front of the baby." I said, "That doesn't count, I hardly raised my voice, and he didn't even notice." xBF said, "Who are they going to believe?" It's more complicated than that, but after he asked who they would believe I started crying and freaking out that he was going to start lying to CPS about me.

I'm already afraid he DID lie to cps about me, and I need to speak with my son's pedi to tell him my side of the story. When I yelled at xBF's mom on Wednesday, both she AND xBF had been yelling at me prior, and are what provoked the whole thing.

I really think that he has planned this out, and insisted that his mom be our son's baby sitter so that he could make her look like his primary care provider. I REALLY hope that doesn't work. He insisted. He won't admit it now, but my mom heard him. His dad will also testify that his mom is the best person to take care of the baby (which could be good for me, b/c what say does grandpa have??).

BUT - to clear up a few misconceptions:

The baby is WITH ME and xBF is living in the same apartment with us. xBF is trying to come up with a reason to take the baby to his mom's house, and has said that my parents can't stay in this apartment if they come to visit (which they are, for xmas now that this is happening, and my mom may come earlier if I need her).

I saw my therapist on Saturday for an emergency session, based on things that I've told her about xBF, she thinks he should be sued for harassment and emotional abuse. She has my social workers number (I gave it to her) and is going to call first thing her next day back at work. She's also going to find time to see me this week even though its a short work week for her.

I'm perfectly capable of taking care of the baby. When my xBF is not around to antagonize me and be a jerk, the baby and I do great. I don't do it the same way that my xBF does, but we do fine - after all, I was practically a SAHM until my son was 7.5months old, and by then he was standing up on his own, and he started walking at 8.5 months. Most of that is his own stubborness and unwillingness to give up on something, but if I had truly been neglectful he would not have met all these milestones early.
#28 of 164 Old 11-22-2009, 09:21 AM

Wow mama, that sucks. I think you need to start gathering (non family) character witnesses to help CPS see your side of the story, as well as being very honest about what you are going through and the help you need and deserve. It's important that your ex MIL is out of the story, I think it is causing so much stress for you. Do you have any possibilities of going to stay with YOUR mom for a while, with the baby? Obviously you should discuss that with CPS before you do it too. If you give total control over the baby over to your ex BF and his mom, I think that might be difficult to undo later, when you do feel able to care for him.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#29 of 164 Old 11-22-2009, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

No, MittensKittens I can't go stay with my mom, she's too far away (on the opposite coast). She is however, planning to come here asap to stay with me so that I can keep the baby with me.

I'm going to call the social worker today and tell her that I need to meet with her before anything else gets done. I'm going to fight giving total control over to xBF and his mom, and I would like to get his mom out of the picture - but I need my mom's help to do that. No one else but me and her know this lady for what she actually is.

I think that if my mom comes here, then I can make the case to CPS that I will be caring for the baby while she is with me - but that if they let Will take the baby and move in with his mother that SHE will be caring for him. Parent trumps non-parent right? I hope so anyway. xBF has spent tons of time convincing me to accept her help, and to see as just that, help, when in reality, my instincts and my mothers instincts have been that she and Will are trying to take him away from me.

I'm terrified. I really am.
#30 of 164 Old 11-22-2009, 01:19 PM

Are you taking classes right now?

I think it would make a huge amount of sense to get your Mom to your place ASAP. Find a new place to live. Ask your parents to help you out financially if you need to. So many things will go better when you don't have the EX in the same house.

You may need a lawyer to help you once you move out, so the EX gets minimal visitation and can't mess with you more. Of course, you know where to find a good family lawyer.

You WILL get through this, and things will be so much better once you have PPD addressed and no longer are living with the EX.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page