Can NOT Fall/Stay Asleep :( -is this a sign of PPD? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-12-2009, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had our first child, a beautiful baby girl, on 12/8. I was expecting to be exhausted from waking frequently at night to feed her (we're having some latch issues so I've been pumping exclusively every 4 hours or so) but what I totally NEVER expected was that I would have such awful trouble first FALLING asleep and then STAYING asleep.

In the past five days, I have had a total of about 15 hours of sleep. I have lots of support here from my wonderful DH and my parents, but I am almost at my wits' end. I don't know if this is supposed to be like this and when it will go away. I don't know if I should try taking a small cocktail before bedtime, if I should try Benadryl, etc.

I have also been having trouble eating. I have been drinking lots of water and my milk supply is great. I am having some engorgement pain that also makes it difficult for me to sleep comfortably. I've been taking 600 mgs of Advil every 4-5 hours since having my c-section on Tuesday morning.

Any advice/suggestions/been-there stories would be SO VERY appreciated.

Thanks mamas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-13-2009, 01:19 AM

It's still very early days, you really can't tell at this stage which way it will go. You get a huge surge of adrenaline after the birth, which can keep you awake. What happens in the first few days after the birth isn't a great predictor of later on, the vast majority of women experience some kind of baby blues yet only about 1in10 get PPD.

That said, I think it can be a warning sign, it was for me anyway, but it started about 3 weeks after the birth, I'd fall asleep at bedtime, but then not after the first night feed, but at that stage I still felt my mood was ok and it was another 2-3 weeks before it started looking like PPD.

Try and look after yourself and encourage others to look after you!

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
#3 of 5 Old 12-13-2009, 12:38 PM

It can be a sign from what I know. Although, what are your sleeping arrangements? When my baby was that young I couldn't fall asleep unless he was cuddled right up next to my skin - we fell asleep together while he nursed and then slept all night like that. I also couldn't fall asleep without a nightlight b/c I was nervous about being able to latch him on when he woke up. Try changing your sleep environment slightly to see if it helps. And definitely make sure you're eating enough - I can't sleep when I haven't eaten enough.
#4 of 5 Old 12-13-2009, 10:12 PM

One symptom of my PP Stress/Anxiety was insomnia, but it was very obviously PPS/A as I was truly afraid to fall asleep--I was afraid I was going to die in my sleep or DS was going to die while I was asleep.

Insomnia alone may or may not indicate PPD, I am no expert, so I won't try to speak to anything other then my experience!

Have you tried something gentle like Quietude by Boiron? Helps me now (long after the PPS/A), when I just can't fall asleep. If it takes something stronger, as long as its safe for you and baby, I say go for it--sleep is SO important!
#5 of 5 Old 12-14-2009, 12:03 PM

When I had PPD after my fourth birth, the first symptom that gave me a clue something might be wrong was that I didn't want to eat, nothing tasted good, I had no appetite. This was really abnormal for me.

I also did have lots of trouble going/staying asleep...I had a horrible feeling of dread and anxiety. I could never put my finger on why, I just felt awful and scared.

That said, I do agree with the other posters that it may be a little early to tell if it is PPD or just normal post-pregnancy hormones and adjustment. Good for you for being proactive and aware of your symptoms. Hope everything gets better, but don't be afraid to seek help if it continues to be troublesome or gets worse.

Peace and healing to you.

SAHM to Abraham (9) Gillian (5) Adrienne (3) and baby boy coming in October! 

Always missing our Gianna, lost during fullterm labor (8/23/04)
Sticking together through the good and the bad with dh of 10 yrs!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page