PPD at 16 months post baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-21-2010, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am really struggling with what is happening to me mentally, my baby is 16-17 months old, i am tandem nursing my 5yo and 16 mo. I live in Mexico and am 1500 miles away from my oldest 2 children, my friends and family. I have made friends here, who have been a life savor. However, here lately I have been a basket case, VERY on edge, no patience, tense, sleepless, headaches. Snappy with my little ones, picking fights with my husband. I am a sahm, my husband is never home, when he is here he is not here! He comes home and doesnt interact with us much at all. I beg for his attention, as do the children. I get NO time alone. Only when i take a shower, and that is because i lock myself in the bathroom. DP will let the baby stand outside the door and cry the whole time....but i have to get those few minutes alone. Just the past few days are getting really scarry for me. I cant take any thing. I want to scream, and shake and make it all go away! My dp works alllll the time and says i'll appreciate what he does for us one day! Instead of him being here, he's hired a lady to come clean the house and help with the baby m-f. But this makes me feel even more insecure, and inadequate because i dont clean my house. I dont like someone being in my house alllll the time. Whatever all that means! i really really need a change! He thinks i'm ungreatful, and going crazy. On top of tha,t the city we live in has had fighting going on between the military and cartels. So a few nights a week you can hear guns and grandes. I'm ON my wits end. Help me mama's, tell me what i need to do. I dont know how to make it better. I come off as a really strong person, to my friends and family. They dont have a clue what i'm going through. I want to tell them...but they are all so far away! Please give me advice!

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-21-2010, 07:34 PM

Oh Mama, it sounds like you're in a very difficult situation! I would be very upset if I could hear gunshots and granades at night. And being away from family is difficult too.

Is it possible to talk with your family and friends and let them know how you're feeling? They may be able to offer you emotional support over the phone. And maybe you could go visit them? Or they could come visit you?

It also sounds like you don't have any time to yourself, or a few moments of peace. I would want to tell my DH that I need him at home more, and that I am having a difficult time with all these adjustments, being far away from my family, and feeling unsafe, and that I need his help.

I'm not sure if you have counselling available near where you live, but that may help you feel better. I went to the mental health unit at the hospital and was able to see a counsellor who helped me.

belly.gifMama to a Little Scientist (09/08) and our Ray of Sunshine (05/11).
#3 of 4 Old 02-21-2010, 09:44 PM

So sorry your feeling this way. It sounds like you've got some nutrient deficiences going on. I know stress rapidly depletes nutritional reserves.

I don't know if you'd be able to get this but A Natural Guide to Pregnancy and Postpartum Health = good book! Not a whole lot out there on this topic...postpartum health. The baby just uses up so much nutritionally like omega 3 in the last trimester that unless mom is well nourished this leaves her deficient and sets her up for minor and major health concerns. Then, mom conceives again in a deficient state and only becomes further deficient and baby, too. I always thought loss of libido pp was just cause of hormones, but it may be nutritionally or lack there of related. Read the reviews at Amazon...every woman should own this book!! http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Guide-.../dp/1583331387

overview:

Quote:
Having a baby can and should be one of the most joyful experiences of a woman's life. While there are hundreds of books that provide information on how to ensure the development of a healthy baby, few of them dedicate more than a few pages to the nourishment of the mother herself during this physically and emotionally demanding time. It is rarely discussed, but women commonly experience a wide variety of ailments during the postpartum period, from depression to anxiety, backache, and loss of libido.

A Natural Guide to Pregnancy and Postpartum Health is the first book by physicians that is devoted entirely to telling women how they can prevent postpartum problems and attain optimum health after the delivery of their babies. Elements of the program, which is meant to be adopted during-or, if possible, before-pregnancy, include diet, nutritional supplementation, exercise, hormone-balancing, the use of medicinal herbs, and conventional medications. Developed by the authors in clinical practice, this program has a proven track record in helping women to avoid and overcome postpartum difficulties.

Dean Raffelock is a doctor of chiropractic, a diplomate in acupuncture and applied kinesiology, and a certified clinical nutritionist. He has a special interest in helping mothers to recover their lost nutritional reserves after giving birth, thus preventing and resolving many postpartum disorders.

Robert Rountree, M.D., is a board-certified practitioner of family medicine who has done extensive postgraduate work in nutritional and herbal pharmacology. His practice incorporates traditional family medicine, nutrition, herbology, and mind-body therapy. Dr. Rountree is also a certified master practitioner of neurolinguistic programming.
I also wanted to quote Dr. Bob's review of the above book at Amazon. He is Dr. Sears son and gives a high recommendation of this book. I encourage you all to read the reviews...I learned some by just reading them.

Quote:
This is a must read book for every pregnant mother, every new mother, every mother who developed chronic symptoms after a pregnancy, every spouse of one of these women, and anyone providing healthcare to pregnant or postpartum women. I have not seen any other book that deals so well with the many nutrient depletions and hormonal imbalances that pregnancy may cause in the mother and how to prevent or reverse them. Following the guidelines here for dietary changes, essential fatty acids, vitamin and mineral supplements, hormone balancing, amino acids and exercise could certainly prevent many of the very common problems in the postpartum period, such as depression, mood swings, fatigue, weight gain, and decreased libido. If these symptoms are not treated early, they often become chronic longstanding problems that many of my medical colleagues have then treated with all sorts of medications, especially Prozac. There is an excellent chapter on breastfeeding problems and remedies along with a discussion of what herbs are safe or unsafe during nursing. The many case stories remind me of real-life patients I have treated. I am keenly interested in neurotransmitter and hormone problems and after reading this book I have a greater understanding of the cause of these problems in mothers and will more effectively treat them.
another review by Dr. David M. Brady (the University of Bridgeport College of Naturopathic Medicine (CT)

Quote:
Drs. Dean Raffelock and Robert Rountree have truly produced a book that should be read by not only every expecting mother, but also by their doctors! If this were the case I firmly feel that the current horrific national epidemic of severe postpartum depression and infanticide that is all too commonly detailed on the evening news would be nothing more than a sad footnote in history. The current attempted solution, which is to simply give young mothers anti-depressant drugs, is clearly not working. Drs. Raffelock and Rountree construct this book in a clear and concise format so that the person with no medical or nutrition knowledge, or the highly trained physician, can equally benifit. The most current understanding of alterations in the nutritional, hormonal, and neurotransmitter status of new mothers is easily explained. Novel methods of diagnosing and treating these problems in the most non-invasive and supportive ways possible are clearly detailed in order for the woman to acheive a lasting and true recovery from the physiological stressors of pregnancy. It is obvious from reading this book that these two enlightened doctors are not only on the cutting-edge of knowledge in the fields of functional medicine and clinical nutrition, but they are also gifted clinicians who have compassion for their patients and have a passion for this grave public health issue. It is often said that medicine is not only a science, but an art. These doctors have produced a masterpiece. If it could only be read by every obstetrician in the country and if only there were more doctors who thought like them. Bravo!
http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Guide-...owViewpoints=1

Some other things that we think are just normal during pregnancy and pp may not be or should not be like forgetfullness aka baby brain! I'm sorry I rambled on so much. I hope this is helpful. Hubby is a Nutritional Therapy student right now and has been gone for almost 48 hrs at school and I am deliriosly tired from doing childcare full time...hope this all makes sense.
#4 of 4 Old 02-21-2010, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

Makes a ton of sense...i'm ordering the book tonight off of amazon. I feel like my life is spiraling away from me, as if i have no control!

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page